Byleth, Claude, Dimitri, and Edelgard - predictions/expectations/wishes discussion

Thane

Hello everyone.

With three characters set to take the center stage alongside the presumed avatar Byleth, I thought it would be good to have a topic where we can discuss them. Of course, since we don't have anything of note to go on besides (the wonderful memes already spreading from one sentence) their designs, the nature of the topic will almost inevitably become very fluid, so feel free to discuss everything from your most cynical expectations to your most ambitious wishes.

I'll start.

Byleth - No opinion. I normally dislike silent avatars since I feel like it almost always impacts the writing negatively. I'm not much for projecting myself onto a blank slate, and it worries me that they'll avoid saying his name as though it were the plague like in the Persona games. However, his role as a teacher seems promising, his design is pretty good besides the jacket-cape which is a pet peeve of mine, and I have seen the silent protagonist be done well once before (although there were a lot of choices in that game), so I'll wait and see before I judge him too harshly. Hopefully it won't be worse than Mark where the game paused to have the characters look at us in a Dora the Explorer kind of moment.

Claude and Dimitri - Like many, I think Claude will be more playful and kind-hearted, with a more easy-going style than Dimitri. I'm both sort of hoping and expecting that Claude will be a great people person but a pretty spotty lord, Dimitri will be the opposite, excelling in his studies but not getting along well with many people at all. It's not exactly a unique difference between two important characters in a fictional work, but that's because it's usually pretty effective at showing two characters' strengths and weaknesses in a more organic way. 

Edelgard - I dread her becoming the "girl" of the group with few other characteristics, being the girl Claude pines for while she goes after an oblivious/uncaring Dimitri. The trailer does make it sound as though she's got an agenda and the motivation to go through with it, so I'm hoping that's where the focus will lie. Perhaps she could go after the church, but in so doing throws the baby out with the bathwater; maybe she doesn't notice that the chuch does a lot of good while simultaneously being overly controlling and influential where it shouldn't be. 

Also, hey, B, C, D, and E. I wonder who our A will be.

Edelgard im imagining well probably not the blandest of the bunch I have a feeling will be the most insufferable of them. mostly a gut feeling really since we dont know all that much about the characters so far but hey ho.

Claude is definitely going to be the third wheel of the group regardless of his characters writing quality, and personally i hope hes not another 'sharp tongue archer with a playful personality' and rather a relaxed and level headed individual.

Dimitri is probably gonna be the wet blanket of the bunch. he just has that look about him.

as for the possible player avatar... meh.

VSAWQ09.png

Jokes aside, i think Three Houses is going for a more Blazing Blade thing where there's three factions teaming up as opposed to Fates where they tried to kill each other and given that Edelgard had a lot of prominence in the trailer, she might be the "Eliwood" of this game where she's not the only Lord but she's the "leader" of the group. She also might have the closest attachment to Byleth S-Supports incoming.

Claude definitely seems to be the casual guy of the group. Maybe he'd be like Niles, minus the sex jokes. 

Dimitri appears to be a serious guy. Not much to see right now though.

Byleth: I'm actually hoping he is a silent Avatar. I mean, obviously give him some voice options but i always feel that silent Avatars are better done than Avatars. Obviously, it depends on the execution but when an Avatar has a defined personality and backstory.....are they even an Avatar anymore? 

Edelgard -> She's pretty. Looks mature and serious. I like her, but I worry that she's going to be a forced love interest for Byleth, ala Chrom and f!Robin. I like her design a lot, though. 

Dimitri -> Meh. Mop head. Clearly more stoic than the others. Probably a stick in the mud. p:

Claude -> Gay. His hair is kind of ridiculous and I hated doodling it earlier, haha. Still he looks really friendly and cool. I like him.

Byleth -> I honestly really love Byleth's design. His stupid dopey demon eyes are neat. I wuv his wittle eyewashes. its cute. His outfit isn't fun to draw though. @ intsy stop with these stupid body-tight suits with complicated plating pls.

Alright, I`ll give my two cents.

Claude: I imagine he`s the most relaxed of the three, though he would get serious when needed, My thought was that initally, he wouldn`t care too much about what the church does, but once he sees how people suffer he would be provoked to act. Perhaps he could be well liked by the people.

Dimitri: I see him as the calmest and most serious. Maybe he would struggle to connect with people as a result..I do hope he has something else to him though. I see him as the most open with his dislike/out right hate of the church. This could also cause problems for him down the line.

Edelgard: Like Thane, I`m hoping they will focus more on her agenda than her being a girl. Have her accomplish things on her own without help from the males. I thought that maybe she would be the first one to fight the church, but rarely states her dislike of it openly. She could also see that the church does both good and bad for the land. I also imagine she might be closest to Byleth if he is her teacher.

Byleth: I`ve got nothing to say for him so far. If he is an Avatar, I hope he doesn`t hijack the plot too much. I like the idea of him teaching the trio of Lords though.

My biggest hope is that they don`t pull these three into a love triangle. I would also like to see the three characters make mistakes and sufer concequenses from them. That`s one thing I dislked about Corrin and Chrom (to a lesser degree). That`s my thoughts on these four so far. Hopefully we will get some more info soon, thought I doubt it.

Edited by Metal Flash

One thing I could see happening with the main three is that, assuming they're the young to-be rulers of their respective countries - or smaller piece of land- they could have different styles of leadership. Which could in turn be either a point of conflict or character growth when they interact with each other.

Namely, one would spend a lot of time mingling with his people, listening to their worries and being really popular as a result. One would be a bureucratic/political ruler who's got excellent control of the nobility and is fast at putting together new policies, knows what strings to pull to get projects going fast and so on. A high-level paper-pusher if you will. The third would be more of a military-oriented lord, focusing on strengthening the army either to protect their people or conquer more land (or fight the bandit problem because all fantasy lands in Japanese fiction must have bandit problems), excellent at battle tactics, and possibly be the type to lead the charge themself. I think it's obvious Claude would be the first type, though being surprised there would be nice too. Edelgard and Dimitri both fit either of the two types in my opinion.

Hmmm. . .

Byleth - Here's hoping he'll keep his trap shut.  I don't mind a silent avatar, since it's the easiest way of dealing with a self-insert.  The cloak needs to go, though.

Claude - Maybe he's the guy that finds the bright spots when everyone else is down.  Most likely the one that'll be talking to strangers.

Dimitri - Oh, he has a ponytail.  Probably the least happy about being a noble/in a military academy/at war/whatever.

Edelgard - I hope she isn't the unsure female lead that needs men for direction.  I'm mostly miffed because she shares the same icy feel as Dimitri.  She's the red representative, she shouldn't feel like his sister!

My general thoughts, assumptions and wishes about the characters:

I actually don't think Edelgard will be too interested in romance or be the typical "girl." If anything, she looks like she'll be the more well rounded of the trio, being serious when needed but being able to lighten up, again, when necessary. Essentially, she'll be the middle man between Claude and Dimitri at the beginning. When the conflict begins, Edelgard seems as if she'll become the most invested in overturning the current state of their continent, which might lead to her becoming the so-called "leader" of the trio. This would be because her country or family is closely aligned with the church, and she sees the flaws of it while her family/country does not or refuses to. Under the assumption that Byleth is the "teacher" she is referring to, Edelgard is likely the closest to him and/or cares for him more than the others, considering her plea in the final dialogue of the trailer for him not to forget her and their promise to meet again (if I'm remembering the trailer correctly). I really don't want a romance between them, because I generally love well-written student-mentor relationships, but there is a chance she herself may develop feelings for "Teacher." as long as Byleth can refuse her i'm good with it

Claude's the laidback, playful one of the group. If he becomes comic relief - which I hope he doesn't - I hope they at least make him capable and intelligent in his own right (kind of like Sokka from AtLA). But, anyways, Claude looks to be either uninterested or afraid to take on the responsibilities his status demands, so he skirts by by doing just enough. This is a point of both conflict and a contrast of personality between him and Dimitri, causing arguments between them. When the game's conflict begins, he'll be forced into a position of responsibility he doesn't want, or he'll refuse the responsibility completely and remain indecisive until a boiling point (likely something involving innocents or his country's army), which will get him personally involved. His relationship with "Teacher" might involve, predictably, responsibility, dealing with the pressure of it and how to accept that the decision of one can affect the many.

Dimitri is the polar opposite of Claude. Whereas Claude runs from his responsibilities, Dimitri embraces them - almost to a fanatical degree. He takes his studies seriously and excels in them. He looks like he'll be the butt of Claude's jokes, while he himself will always nag Claude about shirking his duties. Dimitri either has faith in the church or comes from a family heavily aligned with them, similar to Edelgard, which would make it difficult for him to go against them despite any misgivings or personal thoughts he has. He would be a deconstruction of the "Camus" archtype, in that he realizes that blindly following is not true loyalty, learning instead that doing what he knows is right and questioning the questionable, even when going against the grain, is what his country/family needs. For a more tsundere humanizing element, Dimitri is aware that his rigidness is a weakness of his but doesn't know how or is afraid to change; this would be a defining point of his relationship with "Teacher."

Last but not least, Byleth is... I really don't know. I just know he might be "Teacher."

Edited by saisymbolic
words

2 hours ago, Thane said:

Edelgard - I dread her becoming the "girl" of the group with few other characteristics, being the girl Claude pines for while she goes after an oblivious/uncaring Dimitri. The trailer does make it sound as though she's got an agenda and the motivation to go through with it, so I'm hoping that's where the focus will lie. Perhaps she could go after the church, but in so doing throws the baby out with the bathwater; maybe she doesn't notice that the chuch does a lot of good while simultaneously being overly controlling and influential where it shouldn't be. 

Also, hey, B, C, D, and E. I wonder who our A will be.

Really?  If anything, I feel like she'd rather go after Byleth.

I'm wondering if Dimitri is going to become the new Takumi in terms of turning into a meme character.  Obviously we'll have to see more, but I just have a funny feeling about him.

9 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Dimitri - Oh, he has a ponytail.  Probably the least happy about being a noble/in a military academy/at war/whatever.

Wait, he does? I can't see it.

Based off of looks, I think we have a typical Id, Ego, Superego trio with our three lords. Dimitri feels like the typical Superego, very logical and focused on rules. In D&D terms, he'd probably be either Lawful Good or Lawful Neutral. I see him as the planner of the trio; focused on making sure everything is right before beginning a plan.

Oddly enough, I think that Edelgard is more of the Id, focused on instinct and emotion. She feels like the moral compass of the trio based on what she said in the trailer, and relies on her gut feelings. Very compassionate and kind, but her emotions may overwhelm her at times. Definitely Neutral Good character.

Claude, to me, is the Ego, a balance of intelligence and emotion. I see him as the Social tank of the group, able to fit into every conversation and charm everyone. Maybe uses a mask of stupidity to hide his cunning. Probably the closest to a true Neutral character, though I do think he'll be the most flirtatious of the bunch.

As for Beyleth, he's quiet and intelligent and very serious. On the inside though, he's prone to inner rants about all the stupidity of both sides during a conflict and the unwitting harem he's building up totally by accident.

1 minute ago, SimplyUnknown said:

Wait, he does? I can't see it.

Someone posted a still frame of Byleth running.  Dimitri's in the background, and his back is to the screen.  Either he has some funky armor, or he has a ponytail in that shot.

I don’t mind a silent avatar but ideally I’d want byleth to be like the summoner from heroes. Not exactly in your face, but still important enough and easy to self insert. Yeah byleth being like the summoner is our best bet in making people happy. At least the summoner isn’t like Corrin and robin

For me:

Byleth is more than likely gonna be the avatar. I'm hoping that they play a small role in the overarching story. Based on the snippets, he seems to be a teacher, so I can see him acting as a mentor (Obviously) to the other three, possibly helping them express other sides to them Possibly silent, which IMO, would be the best case scenario, but I'm not betting on it since more than likely these four will be in Heroes (They all seem to use different weapons so it would be a prime summoning focus).

Edelgard I can see as the middle woman of the main three. A strong, dignified woman with either who is a bit feminine yet is strong/has a tomboyish streak and a valued warrior by her peers. I see her as maybe a bit Sailor Jupiter/Makoto Kino, if you get my drift. I don't see her as being naive ala Eirkia. If anything, I can see her being the voice of reason between the trio/the leader of the group. Probably teacher's pet, maybe in a love triangle with the other two and has to decide who to marry to strengthen bonds between houses, hopefully not though. Also, hopefully not overshadowed.

Dimitri is definitely gonna be the wet mop of the group. He'll always try to be logical in everything he does, he is very serious about his noble status and is possibly blind to any political corruption, if they decide to go that route. They most likely to betray the group if that also comes up. Will more than likely have some quirk (Ala Hisame and his pickles, though not as absurd) that he is embarrassed about to give his character flavour. Most likely to fall in love with a commoner and feel bad about it/has unrequited crush on Edelgard (Or hell maybe Claude. Maybe Nintendo will shock us and make Dimitri the gay one and Claude straight, and honestly, I would prefer this for the shock XD).

Claude is gonna be the opposite of Dimitri, a complete go with flow, doesn't give a crap about his noble status etc. (Though, here will be an arc where they both envy the other and how the other is strong in areas they are not). Gonna be a massive flirt/jokester. Will love taking the piss out of Dimitri and Edelgard. Possibly gay/bi but I don't wanna stereotype. Just saying, if he is, I don't want him to be like Leon, let Claude have a character (But like if he is and Byleth is an avatar and there is marriage, let me marry him). Will more than likely be the victim of a massive loss/have experienced one in the past that give shim his serious moments/sad moments.

Overall, I'm excited to see how the four we know of so far turn out. I have a feeling I'll like them all no matter how they are but I still low key hope Dimitri is the gay one just for the shock factor cause ya'll stereotype too much.

EDIT:

Just some other things I was thinking of:

-I can see Dimitri and Claude possibly being good friends rather then people who conflict with one another over their opposite personalities like others and myself have predicted. I semi hope this is the case since it would be interesting, though Dimitri would still be the butt of all the jokes by Claude.

-I can actually see them as like Forsyth and Python lite version.

-Edelgard will more than likely have a crush one one of them (Byleth included), I would be surprised if it wasn't the case, though I don't think (Well I hope), be her whole character.

-Continuing on with Edelagrd, I feel like she will be the main lord, like Eliwood, with the most prominence with Dimitri and Claude also being prominent, though secondary to Edelgard.

Edited by ΔZZ

Edelgard: The thing I find most interesting about her is that she's a female AXE lord, making her the second AXE lord and a female unit wielding an axe at that, so she's definitely interesting. I'm not crazy about the bottom half of her design, so it may take some time warming up to it. In the Japanese name, "Snow, Moon, and Flowers" and her name meaning "Noble Garden" it's fair to say she represents Spring. Judging from the trailer, it looks very early on in the story. I'm guessing she's like Lyn, and she'll be the star for the first 10 chapters or so and then become gradually less relevant later on. Although the title hints at romance, I have a feeling she'll definitely be like Lyn and her romance options won't affect the story too much. Hell, it's probably going to Blythe/MU.

Dimitri: He's definitely going to be the serious type, and he may have a ponytail but that's still up for speculation. He's a lance lord from my understanding, making his the second after Ephraim. I have a feeling his personality will be Leo 2.0- serious, but makes a clumsy mistake like forgetting to fix his collar. I have a feeling he's going to be a FOIL with Claude, with one of them being strong/weak in a certain aspect while the other being strong/weak in another. Judging from his color palette, he's most likely the "Snow" of the Trio. He's going to come off as cold, but he's not inflexible. Well, maybe.

Claude: My favorite out of the 3 on first impressions. His pose shows some personality (fun loving, chill) and it'll be interesting to see how his character develops over the course of the game. Hopefully he's not just the comic relief lord. Also, he's the first tan lord and he's the first bow lord, so the dude has a really interesting set up. He's most likely of the "Moon" of the trio, which represents Autumn. Autumn and the Moon have a very interesting ambiguity; Autumn is the season of harvest and warm colors, but it's also a season where plants begin to wither and the days get colder. So while there's a sense of merriment with Autumn, there's also a creeping feeling of change that can be associated with it. The Moon also has this implications in tarot; The Moon Arcana is quite imaginative and changing. There's a light side (Full Moon) and a dark side (New Moon), so there's this dynamic of opposing ideas. My guess is that Claude will have a flirty and fun disposition, but may be a complicated character upon further inspection. He's someone that may face a great deal of stress and responsibility to be a leader, and knows his time to step up is drawing near. He may not feel he's ready. That, or there could be other issues going on with him. Claude has a lot of potential with what they set him up to be, so I hope it's realized.

I'm not going to say much about Blythe, mainly because I don't think there's much to say. I like how they look, but I can't help but feel they're a MU. Isn't it interesting that IS released talking portraits of the other 3 lords but not Blythe despite his prevalence in the trailer? Some food for thought. (basically, I've convinced myself they're most certainly a MU. If they're not, that's some red herring IS came up with. Also, for red herrings, Kaga did that first too)

I already said this in the character art thread but it fits here too.

We haven't seen a lot of the character art or really any personalities, so its hard to judge, but I'll give my take on the 4 units we've already seen. You can read a lot into a character just based on their designs, so it'll be interesting to see if anyone gets what Nintendo and IS was going for.

Edelgard: The way her hair hangs in the front reminds me of tassels on furniture. Her off-white hair color also seems a little odd, but I'll take her design every time over another Camilla. We get to hear her talk in the trailer so we can get a hint at what she's going to be like. She also has the white embroidery on the middle of her chest, which is different from the other two and I think is meant to show either her purity of spirit, or her full-heartedness. Perhaps most importantly when it comes to design, her eyes are a soft lavender and rounded, conveying a kind-hearted individual and a soft-spoken one. I get the feeling she's kind of a combination between Lyn and Ike. She seems rather green when it comes to the outside world, but she also seems very strong and set on following her heart (see how heart keeps popping up?) for better or worse. The last few lines in the trailer I think convey this the strongest. She says "It's now or never!" which rather obviously shows her determination, but following that she says "I will return here one day my teacher. Promise me, that you won't forget me." It seems like she goes so far as to abandon her teacher, someone she clearly cares about, in the pursuit of what she believes will help improve the world. Lastly, red is the color of passion which perfectly exemplifies her character.

Dmitri: A lot of people aren't a fan of his hair, the way the bangs and particularly the crown of his head has much longer hair than the back and sides. That's a very popular haircut right now especially among soccer players, which is the biggest sport in the rest of the world, so I'm not surprised it's appearing. Regardless, his hair is very well groomed which shows he cares a lot about how he presents himself. He has a serious expression enhanced by his piercing blue eyes and is the only one who has his chest completely covered. From that we can assume that he cares a lot about what people think, but he's scared of letting them in. Perhaps something happened early on in his life that left him scared to reach out. Let's put that on hold for now and I'll come back to it later. The unique item on his uniform is a strap that runs from his right shoulder to, I would assume, his left hip. It reminds me of a military strap, and if you take a look at him in the trailer when the triangle formation is demonstrated, he looks very confident. That combined with his broad shoulders makes me think he's playing a similar role to Ephraim. A military leader trained since birth. Now going back to him being closed off, I get the feeling that he doesn't have the same people skills that Ephraim had. He appears to be a strong leader like Ephraim, but I also see a bit of Kent/Fiora in him. This also ties into him being trained since birth to be a military leader. Now this is completely normal for Kings to do with their sons, but what if this closed-offness comes from not being able to live up to his fathers expectations. I wouldn't be surprised if his mother died when he was very young and his father was all he had left. Perhaps his father is even the grizzled old man we see with the whip-sword. His father being unable to connect with him also would lead to him being unable to connect with those around him. I see him as a fierce character with a hard shell who's just scared and looking for appreciation on the inside. Out of the four characters I'm analyzing I'm making the most assumptions here so I wouldn't at all be surprised if I'm wrong. Blue can mean both confidence and dejectedness, another good pick if I'm right about his character. P.S. If you look closely, the lines that form triangles across his chest form a heart on the top left (his right). Perhaps this is another clue that once you get past his mask (the military strap) he's soft on the inside.

Claude: Crazy hair, a braid, and an earring. He's obviously a guy who's carefree and doesn't worry about what others think of him. The opposite of the uptight Dmitri. His inherent wildness makes it likely that he's a second son and he's left to his own devices. Going back to his design, he leaves his chest wide open, literally, as if to invite people in. This shows that he doesn't put any barriers between himself and others, and that gives him the opportunity to be the member of the group who doesn't take things too seriously. I'm sure you all know that when a bunch of serious people get together it can get a bit depressing. He's the one who keeps the mood light. But the thing is, he seems too flat like this. If we look at the trailer there's not much we can gleam about him. The only thing I noticed is that when he attacks the stone statue, everyone in his squad fires, but he doesn't. Perhaps he's someone who acts the part but when things get hard he cracks. Unlike the others, he doesn't really have anything in his design that sets him apart, unless you count the tassel on the right side of his chest. It looks a bit like a doll form, but its too hard to tell from that angle. One thing about him that I find interesting is his smile. The further you zoom in the more forced it looks. Maybe that's intentional. The color yellow obviously represents his carefree attitude, but I looked it up in case there was something missing. There's usually two sides to the coin, and there is indeed another take on it. Yellow can also represent cowardice. If he's cowardly then that would explain the forced smile and the lack of him joining in the fight.

Byleth: At first I wasn't a fan of his design but the more I see it the more I like it. There's no official artwork to go on so I'll just be looking at the trailer. His hair is unkempt and dark, and his eyes feel rather empty. He honestly seems depressed. He clearly has a different design than the other three so he's not from one of the royal families. It makes me wonder if he's from one of those lands at all. He has that symbol on his chest and another one on his cape, what if he's from one of the islands or a land to the east. This is further backed up by his lack of knowledge of the crests, as Edelgard has to explain them to him. His heavy armor and the look of his sleeves shows that he has some form of wealth or title, he's not some commoner. He could have been betrayed by someone who wanted to oust him, and after being declared a criminal he was forced to flee. When we see him fight he does so with a purpose, there's no hesitation in his actions, but he never has any expression of determination or confidence. It's always a silent resignation. It's not that he's being forced to fight, he has intent, but he has no desire to do so. It makes me wonder if he lost someone in the past, or something happened that caused him to take a journey into this land. Edelgard clearly cares about him a lot, perhaps her ending statement is a vow to seek restitution for whatever happened to him. Another interesting twist would be if he leaves the party and ends up fighting against you as the final boss, not because he's evil, but because he's trying to win back whatever he lost.

Let me know if any of this seems plausible. I think if the characters were like this it would make for a very interesting dynamic. One of the things I haven't liked about quite a few of the Fire Emblem games is the lack of character depth, I'm really hoping they fix that here.

Judging from the information on This post, I'm assuming

Claude will be associated with the moon and autumn. I'm guessing he'll be cool headed or something

Dmitri will be associated with Snow and Winter. I guess he'll be cold.

Edelgard will be associated with Flowers and Spring. That might mean she's a fairly feminine character, with is frequent among female lords

Which leaves Byleth with summer and wind. I assume they'll be traveling to all three kingdoms as an audience surrogate, and like all player characters, will be able to form relationships with everyone

1 hour ago, Jayvee94 said:

I wonder what kind of Lord each would be: a peaceful Lord or a martial Lord?

Dimitri looks the most like a martial lord, while Claude looks most like a peaceful one.

Edelgarde would have to be somewhere in between.

I've got another prediction for Byleth: I think he'll come from a fourth house, and that Byleth wasn't the name given to him at birth. As such, people from the fourth house will refer to him by his real name, which would make certain cutscenes and voiced dialogue easier to write later on (since they wouldn't be able to call him "teacher").

That, or he's got a set last name. One or the other.

1. Edelgard - a Joan of Arc-like figure loyal to the church. bravebut a bit naive but not as much as Eirika. symbolizes as the beevolent side of the Catholic Church.

2. Dimitri - a figure that is openly against the church due to its corruption. Serious and no non-sense but has trouble in interacting with others. Probably represents Protestantism.

3. Claude - obviously happy go lucky like Joshua. probably stand in for a more friendlier version of Islam.

4. Byleth - despite having a demon's name, he may become good or evil depending on the route he chooses. He may even pull a Lelouch, becoming the villain in order to unite the other factions against himself to achieve peace. By the way, Byleth was described a demon of incest in the past. Possibly it is IS's way of saying "You are disgusting for shipping Ephraim with Eirika. Now, your name shall be Byleth! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!" ???????