Your favorite Gordin?

Protato

I was playing Path of Radiance and I'd noticed, I liked using Rolf a lot more than I thought I would.  Maybe RNG blessed me but even so, he's faring pretty well in fights, and absolutely mopped the floor with the chapter 12 Heron Laguz.  The results screen even showed him as MVP two or three times, on maps with no flying enemies.  This got me thinking, who do people think the best Gordin is and why?  

this one obviously.

in truth i dont use gordins very often, and i there kinda lies their problem as well they arent awful per say they are soooo very often overshadowed by other bow units for various reasons. picking one though id say wil from a gameplay perspective even though i almost always use rath myself.

First I think we need to define who the Gordins are. And for that, we should look at the first Gordin, Gordin himself.

• Gordin- green hair male youth, the first Archer to join, and has a friendship with the main character Marth.

So what other characters fit this profile?

1. FE3B2 Gordin, obvious.
  2. Ryan, Gordin's little brother who is very much like him, meets all the criterion save the Marth relation.
  3. Midir, green hair male of roughly the same age, maybe a little older than Gordin, and is the first bow unit to join in FE4. His issues are having a horse and no real MC relation.
  4. Wolt, as FE6 is Archanea reimagined, Wolt, who is everything Gordin was, but with an even stronger relation to his liege- they suckled from the same bosom, is certainly a Gordin.
  5. Rebecca, well she lacks the male anatomy, nor does she have any relation to any of the lords, but she meets the rest of the criterion. And she is also implied to be the mother of a Gordin, overall I'd call her one.
  6. Rolf, everything but the lord relation he has concerning what makes a Gordin. Although Rolf is rather late to join by Gordin standards. One thing he does have which has gone unmentioned so far, is that Gordin had a mentor in Jeorge. And none of the other Gordins save Ryan in Gordin himself, and Rolf via Shinon, have this.

After these more clear cut Gordins, we do early-joining Archers who meet the gameplay requirements, but none of the non-gameplay ones. They would include:

1. Python
  2. Leon
  3. Tanya
  4. Ronan
  5. Wil
  6. Neimi
  7. Leonardo
  8. Virion

If any of these count as Gordins at all, they cannot be "True" or "100%" Gordins, which requires meeting both gameplay and non-gameplay criterion. "True" Gordins are Gordin, Wolt, most likely Rolf, probably Ryan, maybe Midir, and with a slim chance Rebecca.

Having outlined the criterion, Rolf is my favorite of the archetype. His Rhys support gets a little too kiddy, but otherwise he is an excellently executed child character. He is happy and upbeat, but also in his Mist support realizes the seriousness and realities of war and tries to cope with them. His family relations are rather fleshed out despite lacking actual supports with his half-brothers, his dislike for his mother, his Tauroneo support is another nugget of gold, and his Shinon apprenticeship is one of the things that makes Shinon a complex donkey (to speak with mild censorious language). In gameplay, he is junk to me in PoR, if better than Shinon once trained actually, and he grows well in RD, just overshadowed for his entire existence by Shinon. But nonetheless, the richness of his character and shota cuteness makes me really like him.

Midir, because he went from bleeding out on the floor to fully healthy and ready to kick butt at a moment's notice.  Also, he's on a horse.

Midir is my favorite. Mostly because he's an archer on a horse. Everything's better when you put it on a horse. And I like his devotion to rescuing his liege in spite of the fact how he just got his ass kicked. Midir is just a simple, but loyal archer man and I like him.

I would say Neimi but I don't think she counts as a Gordin.

So I say its a tie between Rebecca, who I like using, and Midir, because he has a horse (still a meh unit tho).

Never played PoR and RD, so I dunno about how Rolf is like. Might have picked Ryan or Gaggles but its been ages since I last played FE3 so I barely remember what they were like.

Never liked Wolt. Sucks as a unit anyways.

Edited by Flee Fleet!

Easily Rolf. Gordin's tend to be incredibly minor characters who disappear soon after their introduction but Rolf isn't like that at all.  We're introduced to him long before he joins and he even got a bit of an arc. His supports are all pretty good and the base conversations ensure he remains relevant even when his role has ended. The three bro's even got one of the best base conversations when his mother shows up. As one of the younger characters its easier to spot the growth in Rolf. 

The second best Gordin surprisingly turns out to be Gordin. Most archtype starters lag behind their successors in so many ways but because the Gordin's are all so irrelevant Gordin surprisingly avoids this fate. Gordin made very good use of the limited support system in New mystery. One of the two shows him as insecure, dorky and craving recognition while the one with Ryan shows he's a great big bro despite these traits. The gaggles incident and him going ''But maaaaaaars'' give him a more comedic side which helps make him more endearing.  

Wolt has a lot of potential as Roy's big bro but unfortunately the bare bones support and him having no presence in the plot at all ensures this potential is never realized. 

18 hours ago, SSbardock84 said:

Rolf probably. Is Gordin an official archetype? Also who would be apart of the archetype? I can only think of Gordin, Ryan, and Rolf.

Interdimensional Observer Went over who would qualify as “Gordin”  above, though tbh Gordin is a pretty vague archetype as a whole, it could be argued as being “early game archer” or “early game archer who is male and green haired” or anything in between.