I know we're all excited about our lady axe lord, but...

Considering that the weapon weight system seems to be making a full return, and that Edelgard doesn't seem like the type to have particularly high Constitution. Will using axes on her actually be practical in game, particularly on higher difficulties? And if it is the case that she's better off using swords, would that effect your opinion of her in any way?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Constitution hasn't had mattered for Weight since Sacred Stones. The last three games that included weapon Weight as a factor that weren't remakes compared the Weight stat to a unit's Strength. Echoes decided to, well, echo the older system where Weight is simply subtracted from Speed regardless of other factors, with no way to reduce it.

If they go the Echoes system, then she'll be in the exact same boat as every other axe user. If they go the Radiant Dawn/Path of Radiance/Shadow Dragon system (which I suspect they will) then unless she has a particularly bad Strength growth rate, she should be fine as she levels and by end game it literally won't matter at all.

Where did we see the weight system returning?  At "Attack Speed", or is there something else I missed?

If I am not missing anything, then it could be that they're basing the AS formula purely off of the Genealogy formula of simply (Speed - Weapon Weight).  Or maybe the SD formula of (Speed - (Weapon Weight - Strength)).  I don't believe we saw a return of Constitution anywhere in the trailer.  Which is for the better, imo; I never liked Con.

In any event, I actually like using all parts of the weapon triangle, even if axe-users often are mediocre.  If it's the SD weight formula and she has high strength (like so many axe-wielders have), Edgelord could be a pretty great unit.

14 minutes ago, Mad_Scientist said:

Constitution hasn't had mattered for Weight since Sacred Stones. The last three games that included weapon Weight as a factor that weren't remakes compared the Weight stat to a unit's Strength. Echoes decided to, well, echo the older system where Weight is simply subtracted from Speed regardless of other factors, with no way to reduce it.

If they go the Echoes system, then she'll be in the exact same boat as every other axe user. If they go the Radiant Dawn/Path of Radiance/Shadow Dragon system (which I suspect they will) then unless she has a particularly bad Strength growth rate, she should be fine as she levels and by end game it literally won't matter at all.

Agreed! and yeah doubt constitution will ever come back which is good!

2 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Where did we see the weight system returning?  At "Attack Speed", or is there something else I missed?

I don't think there's anything you're missing. It's just that Attack Speed implies that your speed when attacking can be different than your base speed, which would make weapon weight a definite possability at least.

Attack speed was 0 when Edgelord was using the steel axe. Either she has 0 speed, or weight has to exist to lower her speed to an effective amount of 0. I think there's only one real possibility. Whether this means con is a thing is still to be seen though.

5 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

Could be that str will affect weapon weight

I can get behind this, as long as bases and/or growths are reasonable.

I'm a little more concerned about the fact that she uses a sword. Ultimate plot weapons are usually swords so I would hate to see her axes sidelined because the game throws better swords your way.

5 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

I'm a little more concerned about the fact that she uses a sword. Ultimate plot weapons are usually swords so I would hate to see her axes sidelined because the game throws better swords your way.

We've seen a broken golden dragon sword and a dragon sword whip; it does seem like swords will indeed remain a big thing.

43 minutes ago, Thane said:

We've seen a broken golden dragon sword and a dragon sword whip; it does seem like swords will indeed remain a big thing.

Hector remains the only lord who stuck to his guns axes when plot swords were being handed out like candy.

1 hour ago, silveraura25 said:

I could see that.

Or Con's back. And if it is, hopefully it has a growth rate tied to it.

3 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

Hector remains the only lord who stuck to his guns axes when plot swords were being handed out like candy.

Grampa Athos handing out plot swords.

Well who knows, there might be multiple plot weapons. Hell, a cool detail would be if the weapon Edelgard gets depends on what weapon you told her to practice with in the beginning of the game.

Even if con were to be implemented the fact that Edelgard can use axes and swords just makes her more flexible. She can use axes when she needs raw power and swords when she needs accuracy or speed.

5 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

Possible which I hope is the case but it's obviously still a "wait and see" thing.

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

For the time being I don't think we can be sure that weapon weight has returned although it seems very plausible that it has. During the trailer when Eldegard selected Steel Axe and went to attack a sword guy in the stats rundown of her such as Attack, End.(which is probably def.) and so on Attack Speed was at zero. Something that should not be unless she has zero speed (which I highly doubt). So while we can't say for sure it seems weapon weight at least if not build or constitution as well will be making a comeback. Something I'm very excited about as I've missed weapon weight for a while.

But to answer the main question, no it wouldn't I would still use her and I would still use axes. I might stick with Iron for longer or something like that which I'm assuming would be lighter but otherwise I would still use axes.

It COULD mean Fates's weapon system is still implemented in some way (which we haven't seen the descriptions text of the weapons yet) since Steel Axes in it grants (Follow up attack speed -3) thus causing her not to double and get doubled as a result this is a possibility.

I will NOT be happy if IS brings back the con system for AS - that'll single-handedly render them a joke as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think IS would create lord that would suffer from the game's mechanics right at the start of the game.

Or would they?

7 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

I don't think IS would create lord that would suffer from the game's mechanics right at the start of the game.

Or would they?

Roy.

Micaiah.

Edited by Water Mage

15 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Or would they?

Sure they would. Or do you mean to tell me you have blind faith in them?

10 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

as long as there is a brave axe it should be fine. axe users have very high strength stats, so  a brave axe is ideal for them and definitely the best brave weapon. for hector at least, i found the brave axe better than Armads.

15 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Roy.

Micaiah.

Oh yeahhhh. Although I didn't think Micaiah was that bad in Part 1. Her problem was everything past Part 1.

5 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Sure they would. Or do you mean to tell me you have blind faith in them?

Yeah who am I kidding. Would be funny that we get a female lord who can use axes but is totally bad at using them.

21 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Roy.

Micaiah.

Roy doesn't have this problem early in game. He can handle Iron sword, rapier and then Killing edge just fine  (he still suck as unit but not because his poor con, though it didn't helped either)

Micaiah had problem with con alright, but Tani was OP enough to carry her through first part regardless.

Edited by Tenzen12