Tales of Malaketh: Ritual of the Blood Red Night - Part 1: On The Run

Nanami Touko

"My my, how brash~" Astrid commented quietly back. As naive as the Princess was, she wasn't so naive as to not be able to distinguish her so close, at the very least. She hoped that comment was simply intended to inform her that she knew what was up... after all, what other reason might there be? Mikayla's scent might still be on her, but the girl smelled utterly divine, so that couldn't be it... her own blood? Rich and fine to the utmost degree, all that had tasted of her remarked she was delicious... though if the Princess was so sheltered as it would seem, perhaps her palette was simply not yet refined... and to remark to Misea that she was weird! Two against one, how unfair...

"I'm sure you'll come around, Almira~"

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Six... hundred? Wilhelmina felt her breath catch in her chest, a similar feeling to when her corset was too tight. She had to reach out a hand, catching someone's arm--she didn't see whom--to steady herself. "Oh my, forgive me, felt a touch of the vapors there for a second. Six hundred gold you say?" She blinked rapidly, still in disbelief.

That was more money than she could expect to see in a lifetime. ...Okay, hyperbole aside, that was more money than she could expect to see altogether in one place, all at the same time, in her possession, in her lifetime. With that kind of funding, she could easily afford to... wait, maybe this was standard fare she would have to pay out when hiring some vampire hunters... But still, how could she not?

Fighting though, might be tricky. She knew some rudimentary magic, and was confident enough about fending off unwelcome advances... from a single target... whilst they were inebriated. But against strong, well-trained foes who fought for a livelihood. Perhaps another story, and one she wasn't sure she could sell them on. Though, that said.

"I do have skill in the healing arts, what would a teacher be who couldn't give first aid to their students? Bruises, scrapes, bumps: healed before you can say 'boo'. ...Gregory's broken arm, well that took longer, but I assure you if the budget request for an actual Heal Staff had been approved... There's only so much you can do with a Kneader, you know?"

Edited by Balcerzak

Well, it didn't seem like there was going to be much else left to wonder about. Their mission was set, clear as could be, with a carriage and everything. What could possibly go wrong? With everybody here, it wouldn't be much of a hassle. They even got that worried lady to come too! It was going to be a full carriage, alright. "Alrighty, no complaints here. You can count on getting your money's worth from me." Alex reassured, rather content with her prospects for the future, that was a well-paying gig. "And you guys too." It was good to acknowledge her co-workers. They'd be seeing a lot of each other for a while.

The friend, who still hadn't given a name, was an odd one, that was for sure. She seemed very interested in Almira, to the point of making the other girl seem somewhat uncomfortable given the weird comment. Not that Seph was disagreeing. Following them out of the bar, Seph once again covered the lower half of his face with his scarf, observing how Almira seemed to almost hide behind Misea. The more he saw the more she seemed to fit the naive shy girl running away story that they had presented. Perhaps it was true after all.

A thought occurred to him and he spoke up, voice slightly muffled by the scarf, "Misea, Almira, will we have a chance to stop and resupply? I have a few small weapons on me, but had planned on purchasing more before I set out again." His last tome had encountered an unfortunate end involving a miscast spell and a nearby fire, but the gun he'd been carrying around had simply run out of bullets, plus wear and tear on the mechanical pieces. It would be good to get a new one and with 600 gold he could certainly afford it.

As he exited, Glendwr looked around. Vampires. Great. I've gone against some real monstrous men, but actual monsters? I have silver bullets, and we won't be on the border for long, but I can't help but be on edge if we run into one bent on drawing innocent blood. It's clear that everyone here is out for themselves, except for Mira and Misea, it seems. I don't know these people, and I probably shouldn't try to get to, especially when Seph isn't so keen on getting to know me, either. He carried a sword at his waist and a rifle at his back, but the rifle wasn't for skirmishes: he wasn't anywhere near confident enough to try using it for that. That is what a pistol would be for, once he got one, at least. He kept behind the rest, but still well within sight of them. Luckily, taking up the rear means I will always be the first to know if we're being followed.

"Any healing is quite the boon to such a growing little group. Especially when neither of us have the power to help any of your wounds, so don't worry yourself, miss Mina." Misea continued along with their little group, as Seph asked about resupplying. Time for that other bit of ammo. "What good would there be in giving you all that money, and then forcing you to spend it on this adventure? No, that won't do." As they carried on past the tavern, near the exit of Tarask sat a large wagon, spacious enough for their group, but it looked to be full of...

"I have seen fit to bring enough to supply anyone that wished to accompany us." Swiftly hopping up and into the wagon, Misea returned a moment later with a hefty looking leather sack, dropping it on the ground in front of the group. As the slack gave way, it opened up to a bevy of weapons, swords, axes, arrows and even several revolvers. "The lances and tomes are stored in the back of the wagon, as you understand it would be rather tough to fit something with such a shaft into a sack. Bows as well, no point in having arrows without something to draw them with. And for you, miss Mina..." Misea retreated again, Almira taking the moment that they did to hop onto the wagon herself and sit down behind one of the horse, gently kicking her legs as she waited.

"For you, our only healer, I present one heal staff, free of charge. There are more if you happen to run out." Misea popped back out of the wagon, stepped off, and held the implement out to her. "I hope this is fine? Pardon the generosity, I simply wish you all to be paid in proper. The six hundred here and there, it's for your own personal use, and none of it should be put towards this... Not if I can help it~"

Seph didn't quite know how to react. This sort of generosity was overwhelming. Suspicious, but overwhelming. Outfitting their mercenaries was one thing. This bounty of weapons... Shaking his head, he inspected the weapons, before grabbing a small revolver from the pile. "You said tomes were in the back? I don't suppose anyone else here uses dark magic?" Without really waiting for an answer, he moved around and began to sort through the offered books. Finding twin dark magic books, he quickly pocketed both of them, storing them safely in the bag at his waist. If anyone else did use the rare magic, he could always hand one over.

Edited by scorri

Glendwr was tentative about just grabbing the first shiny thing he saw, but he did pick up a pistol and a vulnerary and put them in his large overcoat. He then eyed the gleam of a blade similar to the one his father had. His scabbard was a perfect fit for this blade. He slid it into the scabbard and waited for the others to get what they wanted, all the while not realizing his scabbard had been empty before he put the new sword in it, when it held his old sword only minutes earlier.

"I don't think any of us use dark magic... Wait, you can use magic? That's really cool." Almira was once again impressed, between Mina and Sephtis both being able to use magic, humans really were cool, weren't they? Wait, can't think like that. We're supposed to be hiding as humans, right now... Even if they were, there were some things that she couldn't shake, reaching into her robe, and pulling out a tiny little flask. As she opened it... A straw popped out. A... Bendy straw? Fiddling with it just a bit, watching everyone pick up their weapons, she took a sip. "Mm~" Delicious.

Well, it seemed Princess Almira was taking leave of her... at least for now. With all of these people about, it was difficult to hold a proper conversation anyway... she would get the chance to speak with her later on, surely. As they were shuffled out of the tavern and offered gear, well... no reason not to partake. Looking at the group that had gathered, the only one who seemed to share a weapon preference with her at a glance was Misea anyway, so there was no harm in picking up a few unclaimed pieces and slipping them onto her belt. As she was doing so, Astrid peered into the carriage proper, it seemed the Princess was enamoured by the human mages... which was all well and good, she had likely never borne witness to such a thing. What wasn't so well and good, was that she soon pulled out... a flask? A flash equipped with a straw... a bendy straw. Was that glitter? Astrid's face curled into a frown as she watched the red liquid climb up the straw and into the girl's mouth, it's slow speed telling her it was viscous and thick... blood, but not fresh. Cold? No, that was barbaric, couldn't be. Turning towards Misea, who was currently buttering up the healer that had chosen to join them, the newcomer from inside the tavern, Astrid grabbed their wrist, perhaps more forcefully than she had intended.

"Might I speak with you further... old friend?"

"Ah, yes. It's something that's been passed down in my family for ages. I'm not the most skilled at it, if I'm honest, but I'm learning more and more every day." His smile was hidden behind his scarf as she pulled out what appeared to be juice with a straw and began to happily drink whatever was inside. He was distracted from the somewhat adorable sight as once again the two old friends appeared to need to discuss... something. Shrugging it off for now, he focused back on the cause of their expedition, and asked, "So Almira, how old are you anyways? I know that some houses marry young, but even still..." She looked barely over fourteen. Was she really old enough to be married off?

"Oh... that's quite a bounty, yeah, color me impressed." This was all basic equipment, but a sword for free was a sword for free. "I'll take a sword... tomes are in the back, you said? I'll go grab something there then, and some first-aid just in case..." Some of that training Alex's brother had given her would come in handy, then. She'd always fancied herself swords over magic, not exactly the most talented mage around, but it was an ability that could come in handy when a blade just couldn't cut it. Adaptability went a long way, as her brother used to say.

It was interesting to see what kind of weapons the others seemed to prefer, as well. Guns were definitely beyond Alex, and she was pretty sure she'd never seen dark magic in action before, that was bound to be interesting. "Got a nice repertoire of skills, don't you, Seph?" She couldn't help the comment, it seemed noteworthy to her. Despite how much the guy kept to himself, Seph certainly seemed to show some competence. "I've never seen somebody cast dark magic before, actually. I kinda wonder how different it is." It was always interesting to see new things.

The brief stroll to the waiting carriage gave Wilhelmina a little time to work on recollecting herself, but only a little. The whole... extravagance of it all was just impressed upon her anew as an assortment of martial weapons spilled out of a sack the expedition leader had opened, essentially telling the others to 'dig in'. Free equipment, on top of a generous salary? It was with a faint sense of unworthiness that Mina reached out to grab the staff offered her, feeling all the more emotional about it as unlike the others she was somewhat singled out. Words were... hard to come, for a moment. She opened her mouth, then closed it, not quite trusting her voice not to crack, instead choosing to smile brightly, nod deeply, and wipe at the corner of her eye with her free hand.

A moment or two later, Wilhelmina felt more composed, and finally managed, "Oh yes, this should be very much more than adequate." She'd also heard mention of tomes as well, she would have to see about picking up a copy after the rest of everyone else finished getting equipped and cleared out of the area. No need to get caught up in a traffic jam, after all. Making her way around to the front of the wagon, she caught sight of the young one taking a drink from the cutest little juicebox. One of very much higher class than the those she sometimes served her students... but that did give her an idea. Some small way to repay these folks' limitless generosity.

"Oh, um, I hope it is not too much of a delay, but as I had not initially been aware of your proposal, there are a few minor items I should get in order back home before I depart. Lock everything up, and all that you know? Tell the neighbors I'll be away, so they don't start a search party for me as well. Those kinds of things? I promise I'll be right back, and I'll leave the rod and money here; I'm not trying to cheat you." Mina turned back to find Misea, and gently press the staff back into the older traveler's hand. Then she gathered up her skirts and hurried off down the road to her abode.

The minor orders of business were all handled briskly, and few were notable. However, while she was there, she did pick up a few things, for Miss Mira's sake. One cherry-flavored juicebox, hopefully not too plebeian for her tastes, and several learners. The road would be long, and while the girl seemed at least decently studied, it wouldn't do to leave a gap in her education. Perhaps she had a good grasp of medicine, or history, but who was to say where she stood with mathematics, or poetry? Like it or not, there would be learning this trip, Wilhelmina swore that to herself as she finished packing then made her way back to the waiting entourage. Hopefully they were not too put out by her absence.

"... About what, Astrid?" Misea had asked, but their question was answered after peeking over at Almira, who had decided now was a good time to take a drink. Misea sighed, shaking their head. "Just... Yes, Mina, that's fine. We'll be sorting ourselves out for a moment, feel free to grab any last minute items... I trust you'll hurry, you seemed quite excited over the prospect of getting paid." The rather pleasant smelling woman departed, leaving Misea with Astrid, as several of their new party began to speak to Almira. She knew better than to spill anything improper at this point, so giving in, Misea pulled Astrid over to the side of the wagon.

"It's my blood, and she's drinking it out of there to stay incognito. Do you really have to do this right now?" It was a bit awkward, getting so close to her again, but they couldn't afford anyone hearing the conversation. "And to that end, there's nothing wrong with my blood, either... So can this wait until a better time? When we've managed to travel some, make camp, and we can get away to actual privacy?" Knowing Astrid, no, it couldn't wait, but Misea had to make the offer, and quick.

"Uh, who, me? I'm... Uh..." Almira had to take a second to count on her fingers, just to make sure she got it right. "Nineteen. I think... When you're stuck in a keep for so long, you start to lose track of time. But I had a birthday recently, so that would make sense..." Part of that was the truth, she'd had her birthday the week before, right before this mess had began. Misea had disappeared to speak with Astrid again, that woman was seriously causing problems, wasn't she? It made Almira pout, she didn't like other people causing Misea trouble... They were her handler, she was the only one who was supposed to cause problems!

Blowing a grumbling little bubble down her straw and into her flask, Almira looked up at Sephtis again. "Do you think you could cast something? I'm really interested in seeing how it works. I've never seen any magic first hand... Just read. Even healing magic. So... A-Anything would be really cool, I think." What did a Shade spell even look like? They didn't have illustrations in the encyclopedias for magic... Wait, hadn't Alex-- "W-Wait, you can use magic too?"

Almira was suddenly flabbergasted by the both of them... Humans were so cool! "C-Can you both show me? What kind is it Alex? Is it dark like Seph's? Wow..."

"I would be content never witnessing a spell in my life. The only things I have ever needed to know about magic is that it's dangerous and that I can't even pull off the tricks of a circus charlatan, let alone do any of what Seph and Mina can do." Glendwr pulled his hat down. "Luckily, they can't do it, either. Isn't that a scary thought, vampires doing magic. That's a comfort many take for granted, especially around here. If they could do magic, here or somewhere nearby would be the first to know, and it would be slaughter." He moved around to the back of the wagon and leaned on it. "They can do a lot of frightening and unnatural things, but magic, fortunately, isn't one of them. That honor goes mainly to Remans, although humans from anywhere can do it theoretically." Glendwr crossed his arms and looked down at the ground.

"It's just how I was trained. Guns are fairly easy really. Point and shoot." He grinned at the simplification, but when both Alex and Almira commented on the dark magic, the smile faded some. 

"Well, I've nowhere near the skill I could have... But I suppose..." She really seemed to want a demonstration and she was adorable with the juice box... It was hard to believe she was nineteen. Pulling out one of the tomes, he flipped through the first few pages quickly and then took a breath. Muttering under his breath, he flung his hand out away from his body towards an empty area. A dark haze, undulating slowly, shot out from his hand and hovered in the empty area before slowly fading away. "It's a bit more... Impressive when you have a target." 

Glen seemed to be less than a fan of magic and vampires by his comments, and Seph couldn't help but shake his head. "It's not the tool used that makes something dangerous. I'm sure there are some vampires that would do no harm with magic just like there are plenty of humans who use it for evil. But it would be wise to be familiar with magic if you plan on being a mercenary like this. Many people use it after all. Better to know the weapons you might face than hope to never see them."

Edited by scorri

Incognito, was it? Astrid wasn't sure she believed that... it seemed too natural, and it was cold. It wasn't as though she hadn't been in such a situation before, but even if she couldn't access a neck, the blood was still drawn rather fresh by a servant before it was presented to her, and never cold... even dropping to room temperature was unpalatable, so it was always properly warmed.

"Very well, Misea. I will save my complaints for later out of respect, but... I trust you have a good explanation. The blood looked like it was held cold..." Astrid replied with a sigh, a visible shiver crawling up her spine as she divulged those words.

Swirly and misty... Alex observed the shadowy haze with a fair amount of interest, eyes following the spell as it traversed the air. "Cool, that looks really different from elemental magic. It's really interesting to see how much each magic school kinda branched into its own thing for combat." Alex was no historian or magic expert, but she couldn't deny some interest in how magic got where it was today.

Almira had expressed some curiosity in her own magic... Alex couldn't help but notice her drinking some juice from a straw now. D'aww. "I... nah, nothing elegant or abstract like dark or light, just the elements." Alex offered a friendly smile to the curious girl, unable to help thinking of her two younger sisters. Picking the fire tome she procured from the carriage on her left hand, Alex spent a brief moment in concentration, eyes closed, before a flame lit up and flickered above her right hand. "...it's a bit harder to control and make it the size I want, but I don't wanna make a ruckus here." She raised her hand, the flame following and keeping itself a short distance from her skin, keeping the somewhat consistent shape of a wisp of fire. "Not all that bad, right?"

"... That's because, it is cold. She... Prefers it that way. I... Think." Had Almira ever had blood warm? Or from a human? Thinking back on it, hadn't the king ordered... "In any case, I don't want you interfering. This trip is to save the continent, not to experiment with Almira. If I have to attach myself to her side at all times to keep you off of her, I will." Misea was trying to keep their composure, finding it quite difficult, expecting some form of overreacting retort from the countess. The worst part was that Astrid was still much stronger than either of them. If she seriously considered this an issue, one that needed correction, she'd act on it. What a mess...

"Wahhh!" Almira nearly jumped off the wagon, shooting straight up to standing and gaping out at the magic as it disappeared. "That was so cool! D-Do it again???" No time to do it again, before Alex decided to do her own magic, Almira's face lighting up into a big smile as the fire lit up the evening. "That's so cool... You're both so cool. Wow." Almira only paused her praise when she realized her straw had dripped onto her hand, quickly getting the tiny spill with her mouth and tilting that sucker upwards before it could make any more mess. Too much moving about.

"That was really cool... I'm not able to use magic, so, s-so if I can see you two doing it, well. That really makes up for it." There were those comments the other guy had made... He didn't seem very nice. "Wh-Why do you hate vampires?" It was a pretty innocent question, Almira sitting down again. "I mean... Don't w-we kill animals to eat, and stuff? And... From what I've read, it doesn't sound like they need to kill people to live. Just need their blood... I-Is that so bad?" She was almost pouting at him, shrinking back to her straw and taking another sip. "And I can't use magic either, so I feel bad for any of them that would want to... It's really cool stuff. I did read that they might be able to use dark magic, but... It was only speculation. I-I read, a lot..."

"Hate them? No, I can't say I do. Fear them? Absolutely. They are every bit as strong and fearsome and bears, and as cunning and intelligent as we are, some would say even more so. They might keep to themselves, but just as a bear wanders into a village looking for food, so to will vampires, sometimes. When the bear comes, one of two things must happen. Either the bear is driven away by fear, or it is slain, with either outcome possibly ending in one or more human deaths, and the same can be said of a vampire. We aren't yet rid of the bear, and neither are we rid of the vampire. So caution is paramount while we are close to their lands, lest one either deem us a threat, or a meal." Glendwr looked around, then looked down again. "I don't see any right now, but this time of night, you never know."

Almira's enthusiasm had been completely adorable as she begged for more magic to be shown, only to be discouraged by the doom and gloom coming from Glen. She had some valid points, though unexpected ones from most humans. It was interesting, but again, she wasn't wrong. "Do you really think all vampires should be slain?" It hadn't been exactly what he had said, though the leap wasn't too far. "I mean, you say we are not yet rid of them. Does that mean you expect us to some day have no vampires left? Some bears live peacefully in the woods away from humans forever. And without wolves, we would have never had dogs. I'm not saying vampires will be our pets some day; that would be wrong since, as you said, they are at least as intelligent as us, but what harm is there in letting them exist if they're not attacking humans? Even if they're drinking blood, as long as it comes from willing humans, is that so wrong?"

He wasn't entirely sure how much of that he believed, but it fit with the values he had been taught. The vampires that his family hunted were always the ones coming in and attacking at night, leaving behind corpses. They never ventured into vampire territories, leaving those who stayed there at peace. Those beliefs, combined with the fact that he wanted to see how the other man would respond to the idea of co-existing with vampires had led to the challenge, even if it wasn't an argument that he was fully convinced by just yet. Especially the drinking blood from a willing human part, an idea that left him squeamish.

"Is that what it sounds like? I assure you, it's not. Vampires keep us in check. If Silnynon had control over the whole continent, who's to say we wouldn't attempt to invade Reman or somewhere else? Threat or no, Gorletsia and Silnynon need each other. Also, the fear of vampires, unfounded or not, keeps the nights relatively peaceful, as no one would want to be sucked dry in the dead of night, even in cities. How they are useful is unfortunately linked to what makes them so feared, however they are useful, and that is enough. Also, if we somehow could be friends with them, they could do things like bloodletting, and do them much better than leeches, anyhow. Nasty things, glad I've never needed to have that done." Glendwr grimaced at the thought of a leech on his skin.

"Prefers it that way? As a thick slurry with most of it's flavour removed? Impossible... Almira might be an oddity but she's still one of us. The only way one could think to prefer... that, is if they'd never had it any other way, but that's..." Astrid trailed off, a scowl forming on her face. Couldn't be, could it? Just how estranged was Almira to the way of vampirism? How deep was the hole she had stumbled into.

"We'll have to discuss this further when we're more at liberty to, Misea. I have a feeling there are many things about Almira's upbringing that I will vehemently disagree with, but I suppose now is not the proper time. Tell me what this plan brewing in your head is, then. You've always been far too shrewd to be going at this blind." The Countess continued, moving to a different subject. As much as she disliked everything she was hearing about the Princess, there was a time and a place for corrections.

"I'll tell you the details later, but only of the condition of you staying out of it. I'm sure that if this pans out, Almira will have all the time in the world to discover more about herself... But it hasn't panned out yet. I only have a vague idea of where to go..." Speaking of, what a wonderful change of topic. This one didn't make Misea feel dead inside... Deader than they already were, at least. "There's an archive, in the mountains past Hrolt. It was recorded in some of the castle's tapestries, they've recently unearthed another wing. Our ancestors do like to keep the past buried... But with Aamon pulling out such a ritual, I don't suppose I blame them. Anyway... The destination for this group is Hrolt, and if they're willing to continue past that, I have gold to spare. We'll see... But I'll be shocked if they don't figure out what's really going on. I expect we'll even be attacked tonight. To that end..."

"They don't 'suck you dry'. Do you know anything about vampires?" Almira huffed quietly, another tiny angry bubble finding its way down her straw. "They're just hungry, so they eat. Plenty of humans live after being attacked, why do you all have this--"

"Hello, my dear, new friends," Misea began, interrupting the conversation, clapping their hands together. "I trust everything is in order? Miss Mina should be back shortly, and we must make haste. I would like us to make some distance before we're forced to make camp. You know how things are, when it gets dark. Can't see twenty feet in front of you." Another mildly knowing smirk from Misea, they hopped themselves onto the cart, taking the reigns. "Everyone comfy?"

Almira bit onto her straw, trying to shut herself up. She'd gone really far... Almost far enough to give things away. But it was so frustrating! Like bears, what an ignoramus. We're just trying to live... Humans attack each other all the time, I hear about bandits from the guards... So why is what we have to do so much worse? It's just blood. I don't get it... They did peek at Sephtis again, grabbing onto the end of his scarf, before looking away again. "Th-Thanks," came her tiny voice, disappearing back to her drink, as the straw made the telltale noise of hitting the bottom. "M-Misea--"

"I'll get you a refill once we make camp. You can last that long, right?"

"... Mm. Yeah."

"...I don't know an awful lot about vampires or politics, but I do know they started these attacks and people died. If they want to own up that's fine, but we hardly hear from them unless it's more attacks. Too much bad blood as it is... n-no pun intended." Alex wasn't an expert at the topic, it was a bit uncomfortable, really. "If one can look at me eye-to-eye and tell me they don't wanna force themselves on me to get my blood... maybe we could talk. Right now I'm not taking chances though." That was pretty much her stance on it, to stay.

Almira seemed very knowledgeable, and almost... upset? "...Do you like vamp-" Cut by claps, Alex turned her attention to Misea, intruding at quite a time, and nodded in agreement to what was said. "Yeah, I'm ready to go. Let's get some distance done today."