Tales of Malaketh: Ritual of the Blood Red Night - Part 1: On The Run

Nanami Touko

"If you say so. I'll take you up on that offer. 1 pint of mead." Glendwr left 10 gold coins on the bar counter while waiting for Jackson to fill the tankard. He then saw Misea and Astrid were taking interest in a card game that Lua was about to participate in. Given my luck over the years, there's no way anyone would be able to drag me into that crap, not without leveraging something. I'll be watchful, because men can get rather dangerous when they lose money like that. Hopefully, I won't have to reach for my pistol if it turns out she's good at it. He watched the game closely as he waited for Jackson to finish getting his drink.

Edited by Balcerzak

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How to lose gold

Lua entered the inn carefully, trying to avoid any kind of acknowledgement from Misea and the rest of the party. She needed entertainment, after the stress of last night, and she had plenty of money to burn spend responsibly. She quickly spotted a small group playing cards in the corner, and moved over to talk with them. "Deal me in?" she asked, before even looking at what they were playing. She was feeling good about this.

Hmmm, how interesting. Gambling, was it? Now, Misea had promised themselves they would just watch, but after seeing Lua sit down, they couldn't help commenting. 

"Yeah, sure miss... Sir yourself down. You know poker? ... And you, miss?"

"No, nothing for me. I just wish to remind you, dear," Misea began, leaning into Lua's ear, "to think of our child, before you spend too much~ That's all. I hope you don't mind if I watch." Misea giggled to themselves after that and took a step back, arms folded.

"... Alright, not a miss. You fine with yer husband watchin'?" The mildly confused dealer was shuffling the cards idly, waiting for some answers.

"Of course I do." Lua nodded. Her luck with these things hadn't always been the best, but she was feeling good about this one. She was owed some good luck after the situation she'd found herself in. Of course, a certain somebody just couldn't keep her nose out, and Lua's face quickly turned red at the accusation.

"W-What are you doing?" She almost butted heads with Misea as she turned, looking slightly distressed. Are you trying to throw me off? W-wait those fangs are so so so close please please go away- Lua waited with quivering lips until Misea took a step back, leaving the rather flustered girl to look back at the table for a few seconds before she remembered what she was doing.

"Y-yeah, whatever." she muttered, face still rather flushed. "Just start it."

"Adorable."

"Alright, cards are comin'. Hope y'know how to play." It was evident that Lua knew how to play, but luck was against her, entirely. A string of ten hands all going poorly, the few at the table snickering and the dealer smiling, until finally... "Alright, y'got yer lucky break." Lua had won the money she'd spent back, and some extra to boot~ Misea smiled in admiration, quietly clapping behind the table.

"Howsabouts one hundred, then? Since y'seem to be so happy to keep gambling."

"Oooohhh, high bet..."

Lua smirked to herself, in spite of her rocky start she’d managed to reclaim her starting gold and then some. “Nope, I’m doing the same again.” She wasn’t going to let herself be tempted by this. Besides, her luck so far had been... less than stellar. It was better to play it cool and make the dealer sweat with another win.

The dealer grunted, and started to hand out cards again... Lua's luck only held up once, but before long, she'd lost almost all she'd won, once more. Down to only five hundred gold, the dealer was as smug as could be. "Little missy, y'might wanna stop while you're behind. Come on, y'sure you wanna make yer husband upset?"

"Remember, child~"

“Ugh...” A low groan came from Lua as she stared into the table, as if expecting some kind of sign from above. Instead, what she got was a lecture from the dealer, and another comment about their lovely child from Lua’s favourite person. 

“100.” Her response was immediate, and part of her wanted to take it back, but she mostly just wanted to spite Misea. “This will work.” After all, there was much more than gold on the line by this point.

"Oh, my..." Misea wasn't expecting that, and it was definitely not a smart move...

The dealer's grin only widened. "Suit yerself!" And out came the cards. An eight, a nine, an eight, an ace, and a jack. One pair, but not enough to win her way into double or nothing. "What'll it be, then?"

“Keep the pair.” Lua nodded firmly. The could try for a flush, but that was a risky move. This was her best play to take back her money and walk away. She knew what she was doing.

"Keep the pair... And..." Lua was fresh out of luck. A six, a ten and a 3 came out, leaving her with her one pair... And without one hundred of her gold. "Gyahahaha! Another hand, missy? Hahaha~"

"Now might be a good time to stop, Lua~"

She didn’t know what she was doing, as it turned out.

“...Shit.” she’d muttered it quietly, but it was still very much audible for the rest of the gathering. Lua dipped her head forwards, resting it on the table, finally admitting defeat. “I’m done.” She knew when she was beaten, but she’d figured it out far too late. Her purse had been lightened, but her body felt heavier for it.

"Thanks fer playin', missy. An' thanks for the gold! Nhahahaha~"

"Oh, poor dear... Shall I do my best to cheer you up?"

Lua kept her head down on the table, but tilted it to face Misea. “You’re the worst.” she complained, pouting at the vampire. If she hadn’t thrown him off making them all think that she was Lua’s husband (wasn’t she a woman, anyway?) then she was certain that she would have played better. She would have kept her money! Hopefully the pout on her face would get the point across to her not husband that she was not happy.

Misea could only chuckle at Lua's displeasure, trying not to let it turn into a full on laugh. "Come now, let the rest of them play their game. Gosh, you're so adorable. Don't make me laugh, please~"

Lua rose to her feet with no semblance of grace, walking over to Misea with an annoyed look on her face. “Shut up... This isn’t funny” Was the woman enjoying her suffering? Of course she did, vampires lived off of hurting humans, so it made sense that this was like a joke to her, didn’t it?

Oh, so their skittish new addition seemed to want to spend her newly filled purse on games of chance, did she? Well, Misea certainly seemed quite invested, immediately going in for quite an elaborate bout of teasing, leaving a smirk on Astrid's face as the girl began to gamble. Lowering her voice as she approached Misea, the Countess couldn't help but snicker.

"My my, Misea. How delightfully savage of you... mmm, but claims such as that, you might make me jealous, you know~" She noted, discreetly squeezing the back of the Knight's thigh... not enough to break their stoicism or cause a ruckus, but enough to at least return part of their teasing. 

However, what followed was a trainwreck of epic proportions. Lua may not have been in the best mental state after Misea's goading, but luck seemed far more her adversary than nerves. Where nerves did show, however, was when she threw away her lead whilst ahead, eventually making a bold, and costly gamble, leaving the table two-hundred gold short from her start. As she came over to the pair... though mostly Misea, it seemed, a pout adorning her face, Astrid certainly had no questions about why Misea had chosen to poke the bear... or rather, small, cute, harmless bear cub seemed a more apt comparison.

"How unfortunate, Lua dearest. Well, I suppose you can't win them all~ Need yourself some comforting, dear? A bosom to cry on? A wonderfully pleasurable distraction~?"

"Oh, er... Sure." Mead didn't cost that much, but who was Jackson to correct him? He set down two for the man, hoping he didn't mind the extra drink. He sure seemed like he needed to take his edge off.

"Now, now, Astrid... You can't tease her like that and claim jealousy when I do the same. Be fair, now. And Lua, my apologies, it's not funny, I... You're, just adorable, pouting like that. I can't help myself, I'm sure you blurt out a giggle when you see something cute. Here, why don't we go shopping for a bit? I was going to tail Almira anyway, to make sure she's alright. How about I get you something nice to make up for it, hmm?" Misea had already been given a rather large gift, watching this whole exchange, and couldn't help feeling bad at Lua's misfortune... Even if it was self imposed.

"We'll call it my treat. I haven't been to Rolan in quite a while, anyway... I could use a refresher on the city~"

Glendwr downed both tankards without hesitation. He knew he could drink much more, but knew it wasn't a good idea. "Thanks for that. Travelling with her has been, shall we say a treat? Well, anyway, I guess I'll be back." Glendwr goes out into the town. I don't come here that often. I probably need some new boots, these don't quite fit me anymore, and they're worn out. Hopefully, I can get used to them before we head out, otherwise I run the risk of blisters, and almighty above was that painful the last time it happened. He went to the shops around Rolan, perhaps hoping to find the cobbler. Glendwr also thought about going to the haberdashery, but the last one he went to ended with him explaining to a magistrate that he was struck first. I don't think a new hat is worth risking my shirt a second time. Madmen, these hatters all are. Luckily, cobblers are most definitely less mad. He enters the cobbler's shop. "Uh, yes. I need a new pair of boots."

Old man Barnes was surprised to see someone coming into his house, adjusting his reading glasses and approaching the man with a hobble and a shake. "Why hello there... I don't really get visitors. Chutes? I'm afraid I'm not a carpenter, sonny. Sorry that I can't really help ya there." The old man smiled dryly, adjusting his glasses, before coughing quietly.

"Oh, forgive me, good sir, I thought this was the cobbler's shop. I don't mean to bother a good soul like yours. In fact, if I may ask, where is it, anyway? I don't come here too often." Glendwr did not want such a kind old man to think he was being burglarized in broad daylight, so he slowly backed away and opened the door. "If you don't know, I will certainly leave, unless you want some company, of course." Glendwr felt bad about the intrusion, certainly. Maybe a little more of his gold could be given to help this old man, but not so much a real burglar would be about. The man was able to humor him, but to what extent?

"Well, hmm, I guess?" Wilhelmina had never really considered it in those terms. "There's a nice charm to a good dress too, don't get me wrong. But the ability to mix and match afforded by separate pieces can be fun too. A little bit more flexibility."

She had to laugh a little when Almira basically echoed the color choices she'd already mentioned. The bright peals had a cheery tone to them. Was the girl trying to tell her she looked fine the way she was, or was it more that she preferred reds and such personally--an interpretation with a fair amount of support, given the comment on their hair colors. Speaking of which, that was something Mina really felt she couldn't let slip by, "You're too kind, really. My hair is nowhere near so nice as yours. It's dull, flat, and dreary. If it was lighter, shinier, more full of life maybe," she reached out a hand to stroke a lock of the princess's curls. "But thank you, for trying to raise me up to your level."

Lua gave Astrid a stink eye, evidently unamused. “I hope that you’re talking about drinking.” The woman was very aware of the vampire’s true intentions, but acknowledging the fact that Astrid wanted anything to do with her was slightly horrifying to Lua. I bet that she’s like one of those spiders that eat their mates. She narrowed her eyes, peering at Astrid with a look of suspicion. Could that be her angle? Seduce her target, then use the opportunity to imprison them and suck them dry? It wouldn’t be a shock, but Lua was not going to fall for that. 

The problem, of course, again came from Misea. “You think I’m cute?” She raised an eyebrow at that one. I... I don’t think that she’s trying the same thing as the other one? Misea had definitely been screwing with her during the poker game, but what was her motive now? To draw her away from the others so that she could feast on Lua’s neck? No, if she wanted that, Misea could have done it last night. Could that mean that she was serious? “...Never mind.” she muttered quickly. Lua didn’t know if she wanted an answer from the vampire or not.

“I, erm,” She glanced towards the barkeeper, briefly considering the merits of going up to hide in her room, before dismissing them with a shake of hear head. “I’ll come.” It felt like Lua had to choke the words out, but they had a very real value to them. If she actually has some interest in me, I should be safe, shouldn’t I? It was the perfect plan. If she Misea stayed attracted to her, Lua would get to permanently keep her neck. All Lua had to do was act like she wasn’t terrified of the others... which was easier said than done. As long as she doesn’t want to try... anything with me, I can handle this. Lua told herself, not really believing. She’d turned down the odd irritating boy before, but this... this was in a different league.

"Cobblestone? I don't know what you'd be needin' cobblestone, for... Can't say I know anyone that sells fancy roading like that in town! Sorry to say, sonny." It seemed as though old man Barnes had issues hearing.

"Never mind? I think I mind greatly. Of course you are, look at yourself. Wonderfully kept hair, that I'm sure is much longer than your bun is letting me imagine. Your deliciously caramelized skin, with eyes to match it all together. The faint, but definitely noticeable tone to your arms, and the nearly intoxicating smell that comes with it all~ I'd say you're more than simply cute, but... We haven't known each other long enough to give too much praise to just your appearance. So cute will suffice, until I see if the personality under your fear matches the face you put on. Shall we, then? I do hope to get to know you, Lua." Misea held a hand out, smiling as calmly and gracefully as ever.

Jackson whistled.

"Oh, please. You know I'm not one to beat around things. Besides, wouldn't you agree? I think with a proper dress and a few minutes with a comb... Miss Lua would be to die for~"

There was Mina again, getting so close... It didn't bother Almira, it was just what came after that did, the flinching realization. Did she really not look like a vampire? Was Mina just really bad at remembering things? "I think your hair looks great... And you still smell nice, by the way," she prodded, in an attempt to jog the woman's memory of what she was dealing with. If she got so bothered by putting her hand that close, then she needed reminders to keep it away.

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Glendwr realized the gentleman was hard of hearing, as well. He didn't want to have to shout, so he took out another 10 gold and gave it to him. He waved goodbye and left into the street. I really need to start asking around otherwise I may not meet the same kind of person on the other side of doors. Realizing that he wasn't going to find it by wandering into random houses, he goes around until he hears someone mention boot buckles. Going inside the building near the crier, he realizes it wasn't a cobbler at all, but an armory. I shouldn't be surprised, actually. I got so fixated on the name, I couldn't hear the second part before now. Oh, well, guess I could ask him where it is, all while looking through what he has.

Edited by Hylian Air Force

"Well, dresses are okay, they can be pretty sometimes... wait, him?" Alex wasn't as much as a dress girl as the other two, but what really caught her attention was the way Almira addressed Misea. "Ah geez, I think I got it all wrong then..." That was a bit of a memory punch. Alex had begun looking up to Misea as kind of a role model in the 'experienced, loyal female knight' department... where did that put them now? With a huff, she shrugged. Whatever, I'll just keep that in mind, I guess. On the other hand, the girls had moved on with their talk. "Pants really are best when you're out for so long. It's way more practical to wear a top and bottom, in my opinion... I've never really tried anything too fancy myself, though. It's clothes. If it fits me and I can walk comfortably, then that's all." Honestly, it wasn't her strongest suite.

"But I would think it's rather expected from me at this point... your playful side is far more hidden behind that stoic veil, Misea." Astrid began, watching the exchange between the pair. How curious.

"I am starting to think that she's your type, though. Ah, is it the tan? Well, there is certainly nothing that can be done on that end..." Astrid added, pouting somewhat, as she looked towards the marble white skin of her arm.

It seemed like the girls were busy with fashion talk, which, even though he had been the one to start it, quickly led to Seph zoning out. Dress, pants, skirt, honestly at the end of the day it probably wouldn't make that much of a difference. So instead he watched their surroundings. The town was alive but still relatively quiet. A peaceful place, which was something he could appreciate, especially now as his life was becoming more interesting by the day. Who would have guessed he'd have started working for vampires, and even more strange that he'd be walking around in the middle of the day with one. Almira's ability to be completely unfazed by the sun was certainly interesting, more interesting than the talk about clothes for sure. He kept subtly glancing at her, wondering if the sun would suddenly start to have an effect or if she truly was almost human-like in her ability to move around during the day. A worrying thought if there were more vampires like her...

Yep, here came the lip service, the 'no, you're really pretty too.' It wasn't Wilhelmina's first ride on that merry-go-round. But before she even had time to sink into any sort of self-pity, there came that other line. Her smell, again. Her hand froze, mid-caress, fingers still twirled around a curl.

Closing her eyes briefly, she sighed, then gave it a bit of a peevish yank (though in the grand scheme of things, it was more of light tug, really. Mina couldn't really bring herself to inflict actual pain on the girl.) "You're doing that on purpose now, aren't you? Some people's children." Then, taking a bit of bravery--bolstered heavily by the fact that there'd been multiple occasions where if Almira wanted to bite her she could have, and the princess had declined every time--the teacher gave another couple light strokes of the hair, before ending in a light ruffle, not enough to muss anything badly of course, then patting her on the shoulder.

"Did you hear that, Seph? She's teasing me again. Where would you weigh in on the matter? I maintain I don't have much of a scent one way or the other. And Alex. While neither of our hair is quite so nice as yours, surely you have to agree that 'Mira's has mine beat by a landslide, no?"

Edited by Balcerzak

Lua would have normally enjoyed the ego boost which came with a barrage of compliments like Misea's (even from someone who wasn't her type, it was still a feels good thing), but when they came from a terrifying vampire woman it was a little more difficult to get excited about them. Instead, she listened in a horrible, stunned silence, somehow forgetting how to speak. I... really fucked this up. The whistling bartender made her jump slightly, and reminded her that there were other onlookers too. 

Great. Now she was scared and kind of flustered. "You should be careful of what you wish for." she murmured, barely audible. She didn't take the hand, instead shuffling towards the door with a slightly dejected look on her face. "Let's... let's just go." She wasn't even sure if she wanted the gift any more. She just wanted to be out of there.

"Er, yeah, him... He doesn't really get bothered by people calling him a woman, and... I, don't really blame people for making the mistake. I did too for a while, until one of his old friends on the guard corrected me. I was pretty shocked..." It hadn't bothered the princess, but she didn't quite get how someone could go through life without caring. Didn't it make things difficult? Evidently not. Before all of this, he was respected and cared for by pretty much everyone in the castle... Hmm...

Her thought were disrupted by what she knew was coming, Mina freezing up after her mention. Of course she would, vampires were horrifying, but at least Almira had reminded her that--

"H-Huh?" Of course she was doing it on purpose, why wouldn't... She... Maybe more prodding had been the right choice, because Mina was suddenly being rather affectionate with those head pats. The sudden change was almost enough to make Almira tear up, sniffling just a bit, before smiling up at Mina. "Thank you..." Whatever the rest of them said, that had been worth it. 

"You still smell nice, though," Almira wasn't letting that go. It was pretty nice to have around.

"Astrid, what's wrong? Certainly you can't be getting that upset, you act as though I've never complimented another woman. Of course, you're as beautiful as you've always been. Lua's own doesn't take away from yours, don't act as though one of you is better or worse than the other~" Misea was a bit shocked by Astrid seeming bothered, and did wonder how much of it was real, if any... Still, Misea wasn't about to drop things simply because Astrid pouted.

"I'm perfectly fine with what I wished for. Indeed, let us~" Lua was being shy, was she? Well, none of that. Misea snuck their hand down and captured Lua's as they went out the door, chuckling quietly. "I suppose you don't know much of Rolan? It's been a while, but if you're newer here than I am, I can do my best to show you around. Is there anything you need to purchase while we're stopped here? Clothes, any items, perhaps some food? I don't need to eat, but I can still appreciate a good meal~"

Knowing it was only going to get awkward again if he just stood in the doorway, Glendwr went to the counter, to talk to who he could only assume was Boot Buckle. "These looks like some nice pieces. Mind if I take a look? I have some spare coin, but I do want to at least save some for a new pair of boots, wherever I can find them." He wasn't sure if Boot thought anything particular of him or not, but at least he could take his mind off of the embarrasing situation he found himself in not a few minutes before by browsing Boot's wares.

Well, I guess I pegged him wrong. She said Misea doesn't care, but I should at least keep in mind... No matter, she'd correct herself  later. That would only slightly change her plans... eh, actually not at all. Only worth pushing to the back of the mind for now. "Eh? Oh! Funny one, Mina." Selling Alex's hair a bit high there, "I don't really take care of it at all, really... not like you two... I gotta say, I think Almira's looks very pretty. No comment on how you two smell, though, I don't go around smelling people like that." A chuckle. Despite their antics, Alex wasn't as much of a stranger to the conversation as Seph seemed to be. "I'm guessing it's a vampire thing, though?."

"Muh, whu?" Seph had been addressed, something about teasing? "I uh... What's she teasing you about? Saying you smell? I don't really think so but I dunno. Alex might be right though. Might be a vampire thing?" Maybe he shouldn't zone out like that. It was probably rude now that he thought about it but oops. Thankfully he hadn't been asked to weigh in on the hair situation. That would have been a bit much...

"I'm not bothered, though truthfully, perhaps a tad miffed to lose our time alone~" Astrid replied, as she stopped feigning emotional injury, following after the pair as they exited the inn.

"For the mean time, I suppose I've naught to do but tag along, at least until I find something of interest."

Well, that didn't quite go how she'd planned. Wilhelmina had called for backup, but backup never came. Alex fell back on modesty, and claimed her own hair was nothing special, refusing to weigh in on the others', while Seph just defaulted to assuming the smell factor was some vampire thing, same as the armored redhead. Though, at least he didn't sign on to the "no, you smell delightful" camp, so... small victory, perhaps? It probably would have felt a lot bigger, if tears hadn't started welling up in Almira's eyes, causing an abrupt change of lines in Mina's train of thought. Just what had she done wrong? She surely hadn't hurt the girl.

When the 'thank you' came, it just threw another wrench in the works. "Oh honey, I don't know what I did or said, but it's nothing to get so emotional over. And look, here we are!" Jabbing an energetic figure in the air, pointing at the sign proclaiming the establishment they'd arrived at as one 'Laziest Clothing', Mina smiled, and hoped things would return to some semblance of normal.

Hearing Misea's rebuke Astrid's complaints made Lua feel slightly better and slightly worse at the same time. I mean, maybe that means that she doesn't care about me in particular and won't try anything... But does that mean I'm disposable? I don't want her to think that I'm disposable either! The conflict left her torn and a little dazed, barely noticing Misea's approach until the knight had taken her hand. 

Of course, such a heinous act made the girl visibly recoil, wrenching her arm away instinctively before dropping her gaze to the floor. "N-none of that." God, what was she doing here? It had felt like a living human hand (it wasn't stone cold, as she'd expected it to be), but the fact that it belonged to a vampire horrified her. The very thought of it made her feel lightheaded, and during every second she spent staring at the ground, she was growing worse and worse with how things were turning out.

It took her some time before she made another sound. She lifted her gaze awkwardly, looking past Misea instead of at her, and muttered a single word. "Food." She wasn't quite sure if she wanted the free meal or not by this point. Lua felt a little dizzy, but she wasn't sure what she could stomach. Still, she didn't want to anger Misea, and so she couldn't exactly leave it, but...

"Hhuhwa? Oh, hello there. Didn't hear you come in. Name's Boot-- don't laugh. And sure thing, whatever you're interested in. Need boots, though? There's only one clothing store in town, called Laziest Clothing... I don't get the name either, but most people don't get mine! Anyway, I don't got any boots here, despite the name-- don't laugh," he reminded again, sitting back in his chair. "So if you're looking for a weapon, just ask. I'm incredibly reasonable."

"It is a vampire thing, though," Almira thought to mention, as they arrived at the store. "Or at least, Astrid told me it was. I asked her about it last night, before I fell asleep. She said it was because Mina's blood is really nice... Not that either of us know, but that's why she smells so nice to us. And since it's still lingering, I think she was right." Almira smiled like nothing was wrong, looking at the store sign, glancing around the group for a moment before deciding to head in. Surely Mina had understood the thank you, she'd understood the jab, after all.

"Hello there~" an enigmatic woman immediately threw out, as Almira walked in, with her small entourage. "Welcome to the Laziest Clothing! If it fits, it fits... And if it doesn't, find something else~" That was all they got, as she continued to laze against a rocking chair behind the front counter, knitting something small.

"Huh... That, is a weird slogan..." Almira didn't know where to start after that, so she stepped aside to lest the others through.

"No holding hands? I was enjoying your warmth, but if you insist~" Misea simply shrugged the action on and carried on with their smile, folding their arms instead, as they walked. Astrid was joining them? Oh, poor Lua. "Food it is, then. Shall I get us a room in private, or would you prefer I bite you in public? A joke, of course," Misea prodded with a chuckle, before turning right from the inn, and heading down the road. Hopefully Lua would follow, and if not, Astrid could keep her in line. "Now, let's see... There was a wonderfully quaint breakfast arrangement, the last time I was here... I wonder if the proprietors are still alive? It was twenty years ago... Fancy that! They are, or someone is."

A little shop on the corner with tables set out, called Omelette Du Fromage, definitely as quaint as Misea had claimed. "It's close to lunch, but I'm sure you can still handle some breakfast, yes? I wouldn't mind a nice bagel, myself... With uh, what do they call it, cream cheese? It's been decades, I wonder if it tastes as I remember it." Misea didn't wait, taking a seat at one of the outside tables. Surely they'd be waited upon in a moment's notice... And the lovely parasol in the center meant they could let their hood down, sighing pleasantly. "Such stuffy attire."

"Well, maybe I do. I have an interest in heavier blades, of sorts. I have a standard Steel sword, of course, but, just to know if you have one, do you know what an Iron Blade is? And do you have one? I for one know it is a hard blade to wield, but it can easily increase one's skill with all swords if used well. Although I most certainly shouldn't be telling a blacksmith what blades are supposed to be for." That was certainly true. What was Glendwr thinking, trying to explain to an armorer how to be armed? Granted, this was an attempt to distract from an even more awkward event, but this whole tract was probably not going to go anywhere.