Tales of Malaketh: Ritual of the Blood Red Night - Part 1: On The Run

Nanami Touko

"I didn't ask who was at fault. Almira has only recently been properly exposed to warm blood, so it was... inevitable that she would show interest, eventually. It simply happened sooner than we predicted. What's important, is what we do from here." Astrid replied, shaking her head at the two trading blame... normally in this sort of situation, you would seem them flinging it at one another, but in this case each tried to steal the blame away instead.

"In order to figure that out, Miss Mina... well, I would wish to hear your thoughts on the matter itself, not on who might be to blame, moreso simply on what has occurred. What are your intentions, from here on out?"

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, so she wasn't in trouble then? For having accidentally rushed things along and invoked the 'last resort' option, well before they knew if it was necessary... or if there were other consequences. No, too early to say that for sure, this was only Astrid talking, not Misea. But, promising nonetheless. Mina felt herself breathing a little easier.

Her thoughts though? "Well, what's done is done, you're right. It doesn't much matter the blame. As for everything else? I guess... it didn't hurt as much as I'd expected, been led to fear? But I couldn't really call it my favorite pastime for a Tuesday afternoon. I don't intend on running away from my responsibilities, if that's your worry. I accepted this job and I mean to see it through," especially now, with that cloak hanging like an albatross around my neck.

Edited by Balcerzak

"Well... Hopefully Astrid doesn't scare them too much." Seph couldn't help but worry what she wanted to talk about, since Almira had seemed scared for whatever reason. Maybe it was just leftover nervousness from the farmer? Either way, he could help some here. "Either way, Alex, we should be able to do two hundred for the horse, no? Though, sir, we would like to see the horse before we give our money to you. Make sure this beast is worth the money you are asking." It wasn't too steep of a price for a horse, which honestly was more worrying than if he'd asked a lot. They didn't need much. A horse that was pulling a wagon was less important than, say, a warhorse. But still. It wouldn't do to buy a horse with three hooves in the grave. Time to see what they were buying.

"Well, that's good to hear. Lua just bolted like a spooked doe right in the middle of breakfast, and I doubt it would do Misea's heart any good were you to disappear as well, Mina." Astrid replied, a spot of relief showing rather obviously on her face. It would have been a tragedy for Mina to have also departed from their company, especially so soon. Likely not something to bring up without first consulting Misea, but Astrid had an inkling that, if Mina's scent was anything to go by, Almira would no longer be satisfied with Astrid and Misea's blood alone. Poor Mina may have made herself into an unwitting continual donor...

"And you, Almira? We've already briefly discussed the sudden urges, being your recent exposure to blood in it's intended form... is there any other light you can shed? Do you feel any different, anything else you feel should be said, and has not yet? Does anyone else know?"

"O-Oh... Did she?" Almira felt a bit more guilty after learning that. Mina could've up and bolted back to her village if she'd taken this extra poorly. And yet... Never again... That's... Unfortunate. It was really nice. "Huh? Wha... Anything else?" Not that thought, for sure. "Uhm... I feel fine? I think? I don't feel anything different, or weird, uh... Just, feel me. It was... Really good blood, though. You tasted good, Astrid, but... Well... Uh, h-how do I give you a compliment without this sounding even weirder than it probably does to you...?" Almira felt there was really no way to do so, meekly smiling at Mina. "S-Sorry this is probably making you uncomfortable, uhm! Okay! G-Good talk, thanks bye...!"

Almira scuttled out of there faster than their new horse could likely run, slipping back behind Sephtis with a small wave, and without really thinking, taking hold of his hand to give herself a bit more comfort.

"Ahh, sure. Last three on the end there, should do ya fer two hundred. Strong enough t'pull a wagon, carriage, what have ye. An' good health, good as health gets around here. Yer free to check 'em for whatever ye could be worried about." He didn't really get up to show them, just gestured towards the three on the end. One white, one black, one brown, they seemed unbothered by the sudden company.

Glendwr had at last returned to the Half Calf and found the rest of everyone save Misea. He was surprised that Astrid, though having left after him, had gotten to the rest before he did. Especially since he didn't see her pass him. How did that happen? Oh, nevermind. He walked over to where Alex and Sephtis were, where a farmer was apparently talking to Alex about something. He saw the amount of stuff Seph had been carrying. "Been a long day so far?" It was quick and to the point. He didn't feel it need to be any more than that, especially if everyone had been as tired as he was, which he didn't doubt. 

Lua did? That girl that had happened upon them after the battle, right. Hmm, well, if she hadn't seen that they were trustworthy in a fight, and after, there wouldn't have been anything to buoy the flighty girl's faith, would there have been? Just the words of humans she must have thought fools, being plumped up for the slaughter.

"I... see," Wilhelmina paused, not knowing quite what to say. "Well, hmm." Placing her hands on her hips, raising her chin, and holding her chest high, the teacher summoned some bravado she didn't entirely feel. Fake it till you make it. "I guess that just means I'm made of sterner stuff than she is, and every bit worth the investment." Maybe it would be a good selling point, when she brought up the matter of needing the extra money?

Then the conversation shifted to Almira for a bit, and Mina turned to look at the princess as she gave her response. She seemed... distracted, nervous. Not altogether unlike how Lua had been acting, in fact, and true to form, she quickly bolted herself; even this wee interrogation was too much for her, apparently. Some of how she'd phrased things made Mina a little uncomfortable, but... honestly, was there even any way possible to discuss all of this that wouldn't be at least a little... awkward? Mina couldn't think of any, a slight flush of embarrassment creeping up on her.

"Good talk? Really, that's what she has to say," she huffed slightly, then sighed. It was impossible to stay mad at her for long. Almost unfortunate, that. "That wasn't enlightening at all. Hopefully her knight is better able to corner her and actually get something worthwhile out of all this." Turning back to Astrid, there was one question she'd asked that the young vampire had glossed over.

"Ah, actually... Seph was out of the store, embarrassed I presume, to be clothes shopping with women," Mina began to answer. "I, uh, improvised a cover story for Alex, claimed to have pricked myself on a pin in the changing room, and that Almira had gotten at that." Her voice lowered to not quite a whisper as she continued. "Not... that she'd actually bit me, I don't think she knows that part." Then it was back to her normal register, "But she should be aware the princess has tasted human blood now."

Edited by Balcerzak

Having finally arrived at Rolan, the young merchant couldn't help but take in the town as he passed through the village gate after being questioned by the guard.  It was...oddly refreshing to say the least, being this far out from home, and he couldn't help the smile that appeared on his lips.  I just hope father doesn't go asking around for my whereabouts, was the stray thought before taking in the sights. 

Rolan was just like any other town, yet it still held its charm.  Mikaela felt the need to visit all the shops and stands, but before he could set out he asked around for the location of an inn in which he could rest for the night.  Finally directed towards the Half Calf, the young man couldn't help his curiosity at the wagon parked out front of the inn.  Doing the same with his own horse as he got off, he inspected the outside of the wagon before going inside.  Hmm, if a wagon as big as that one is around, maybe there's a chance to put my merchant skills to the test~.

"Hello!" His boisterous greeting turned a few heads, but overall the other customers didn't bat an eye at the newcomer.  At this Mikaela simply cleared his throat, a bit embarrassed as he went over to the barman.  "Yes, hello.  I just came a long ways from Hrolt, and am looking for a place to stay," he continued with a modest smile.  "I can assure you money is no problem.  I was also wondering about that wagon outside.  Please tell me, is there a caravan passing through?" 

Right, so those three were the only options. As he started to head that way, Almira suddenly shot up next to him, grabbing onto his one free hand. "Ah, Almira!" He blushed, not really having expected this, but didn't try to pull away from her. "Everything ok? Did Astrid scare you or something?" This was probably the part where the boy offered to protect the girl but... Well Astrid was really rather scary. And Almira probably stood a better chance against her anyways... But he should still probably make the offer...

His thought process was, thankfully, interrupted by Glen before he tied himself into too much of an indecisive knot, and he nodded. "The girls got some clothes from themselves, Astrid, and Misea. Nothing too exciting. Going to go look at a horse now." Without letting go of Almira's hand, he made his way down to the three horses. He was presented with the awkward challenging of having to inspect horses while carrying a pile of clothes, parasols, and holding someone's hand. It was challenging to say the least... Right. "Hey Alex, do you mind lending a hand looking at these three?" There wasn't anything obviously wrong at least. But still better to have someone take a closer look. And Alex was the one with the money, so it made sense to have her look. Besides, she seemed like she might know anything about horses. Probably more than Almira or Mina did anyways, and maybe more than Glen. And no way was he asking Astrid...

Edited by scorri

"Uh..." Well, that had been a sudden intrusion. Alex was now the one carrying the gold, and presumably had to choose on her own... at least horses weren't tough to figure out. What was a shame was the way the caretaker was letting them sort out the boys on their own. Couldn't he at least have tried to speak of them at any length, give some vote of confidence that these were healthy horses? Now that was a fired farmhand back at her dad's farm. Too bad.

Another visitor, it seemed everybody was gravitating towards them now? "Heya, Glen. Just buyin' horses now, nothing big." Alex shrugged, "Not really a long day yet, it's just started! But anyways, I gotta pick a horse now." She casually walked towards where the three horses stayed, right behind Seph. Regardless, it's not like she was shooing Glen away. "So, all we've gotta do is get the most bang for our buck. I'm gonna see if any of these beauties have a problem, first." Their fur seemed in good condition, at least... Alex slowly reached a hand to the white horse, trying to pat its head. "Don't see a lot of your breed around these parts..."

Astrid couldn't help but grin at Mina's display of bravado, chuckling as she quickly shrank somewhat into a blush moments afterwards. That Almira had so swiftly run off wasn't ideal... Mina had been right to hope that Misea could better wrangle the Princess than Astrid herself could. Still, that last bit was less than ideal, to be certain...

"So Alex is aware, then. That makes things slightly more annoying... it would be difficult to keep things securely under wraps without making her suspicious." Astrid noted, pursing her lips somewhat before shaking her head. Nothing to worry about at the moment. While she had Mina though, perhaps now was a good time to break the ice on what might potentially be her future duty, even if there was a chance Misea would disagree.

"Mmm, while I have you, I should... give you fair warning, Mina. Misea may disagree, and Almira may develop... differently than I expect, so don't take this as absolute, but... Almira is very new to all of this, as you know. If your scent is anything to go by, as well as what she began to say before departing... I fear that, having tasted you, and still being so fresh to this, the girl may struggle to acclimate to Misea and I. You said you had no intent to shirk your responsibilities, so if it comes to pass... satiating Almira may become one of them." Astrid noted with a sigh, hopefully that wouldn't cause Mina to bolt as well. Had the timing been wrong? Possibly, only one way to find out.

"Truthfully I am rather flush with jealousy. The distinctive scent of your blood having hit the air, even for that briefest of moments, it's rather intoxicating, Mina. You certainly are an interesting woman... ahh..." Astrid began, stopping after a few moments. Probably not helping.

"At the very least, I have better impulse control than Almira, it would seem."

"Hello... Name's Jackson. The wagon outside? No, that belongs to--"

"To me~" Misea had walked in behind their new, curious friend, taking a seat at the bar and gesturing for him to sit next to them. "My apologies for not being the trade you may have been looking for," they started, letting their hood down, and adjusting the hair out of their eyes, "but I do have business going on here, if you're interested. Not exactly trade and merchandise, but it could make you a fair share of gold." With Lua gone, they certainly did need a few new arms. Especially depending on the next force sent by the king... Hopefully the new face wouldn't shy away from the offer. "And Jackson, two drinks, please."

"You're drinkin'? Bad day?"

"You could say that."

"Astrid? Uh... N-No... Just wanted, to talk about something..." Almira didn't want to get into having actually bit Mina, telling Sephtis that right now... Better to focus on what they were doing. The horse was more than receptive to Alex's gesture, it seemed like they were used to being around people. It lowered its head a bit, to give her better reach to pet with. Almira stared at the creature with a bit of wonder, and mostly fear. "They're so big... I never really thought about it on the wagon. It's kinda scary..." She gave a moment to the thought of getting kicked by one... And then stopped thinking about it. "Spooky..."

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

It seemed like Almira was holding something back, but it was probably not his business. Besides, it probably was some sort of girl thing with Mina and Astrid being involved. Though why would Alex have been left out then? She did seem less worried about dressing fancy than the Mina or Astrid did, so maybe it was something to do with that? Who knew. Either way, not Seph's business. So long as Almira wasn't complaining, he would just stay out of it.

"So what do you think, Alex?" It looked like the white horse was friendly enough. If nothing else, it was certainly fine with people. "Ah, come on now Almira. I know it's a lot bigger than you, but it's nothing to be scared of. Horses are generally very docile creatures. Sure, some can be trained for combat, but these ones aren't anything like that. Heck, I bet you could ride one if you wanted." He grinned and gave her hand a gentle squeeze, trying to reassure her. There was nothing to be afraid about after all. Hopefully he could help her see that.

Before he could respond to the other's greeting, Mikaela turned around at the newcomer's interjection.  It was only out of pure willpower that he refrained from blushing, instead offering a charming smile at the other before walking over to take a seat next to them.  "Ah, what a pity, and yet I feel as though my luck has not yet left me," he responds with a chuckle, not helping himself.  "Fair share of gold? Hm, to be quite honest I am not seeking riches, no," he corrects Misea as he shakes his head.  "I have well enough of that back at home....but there is something I am interested in that you might provide..."

Thanking Jackson for his drink and taking a sip first, he let the topic settle before continuing.  "What I am really interested in is the thrill of an adventure!  Something that will really get the blood pumping, you know?  I....To be honest I've never been this far out from home...." he admitted, before blinking as he suddenly realized he had forgotten something.  "Oh, now where are my manners.  The name is Mikaela," he finally greets, offering a hand in shake towards Misea.

"Atta boy..." That was a good horse, responsive enough to Alex to show that it wasn't going to have trouble joining his fellows at the wagon, and why not go for a white one? Keep it different. "This one seems seems good to me, I'm choosin' it. Looks to be docile enough, and fancy." Truthfully, moments like these reminded her of home the most, she felt rather comfortable. "Don't be like that, Almira. These boys are just shy to strangers. If you get the jump on them, you bet they'll be scaed... but once they're used to you, they're dears." Alex ruflled the horse's fur in a gentle rub. "But anyways, that one should be good, they're all the same price, anyways."

Alex gave a holler to the caretaker. "Hey! We're gettin' the white one. You said it was about two hundred, yeah?" She was trying to lead the horse along, without the reins yet. "Should be just what we got!" In case he tried to raise the price all of a sudden...

"The thrill of adventure, is it?" Misea's eyes almost lit up, Jackson sighed.

"Don't."

"I'm going to~"

"If the bar turns on you, I ain't savin' yer arse."

"That's fine. You see, Mikaela, I'm a vampire~" The statement garnered a glance or two from nearby patrons, but with a shrug of disinterest from Jackon, they turned away, some with a chuckle. 'Vampires don't go out in the day, you moron,' was heard from one of them. Misea chuckled quietly to themselves, flashing Mikaela an obviously fanged grin. "Well, believe what you will. I'm currently traveling with a group towards the capital... And we're going to be beset at almost every turn. Despite that, there's gold to be made, even if it isn't your main interest, and plenty of action to be had. What do you say? And, I'm Misea. Misea Heide. A pleasure."

"I-I think I'll stay away from riding... But, if you say so." She snuck herself out a bit from behind him again, slipping her hands behind her backs and giving it a rather heavy squint of scrutiny. The horse didn't seem bothered.

"Yeah, two hundred's fine. These horses is only good fer when trade comes through anyway. Ain't gonna be seein' much use till the winter." He nodded firmly, awaiting payment. "They's all saddled up, and if ye need reins, just holler."

"So... That's it for today, then?" Almira looked between Alex and Sephtis expectantly.

"I... what was I supposed to have done," Wilhelmina groused slightly. "There must've been a thud or something when she pushed me up against the wall, and people were calling in wondering if everything was alright. I even told her to keep it our little secret, but no, she had to blurt out 'Mina tastes so good~' and well, there was no putting the whole cat back into the bag after that. Be thankful I got at least some of it covered back up." It was oddly refreshing to air her frustrations on the matter, actually, but ultimately pointless.

The secrets' spread wasn't the only bad news Astrid was concerned with, however. When the countess detailed her worry--that the princess may, having tasted Filet Mina, turn her nose up at lesser cuts of steak--the teacher froze, and pressed her lips into a thin line, deep in thought.

It was penance. The others might disagree, but Wilhelmina knew it had been her fault. If this was the price she had to pay, how could she rightly refuse--unpleasant or not? And... well, hmm.

"If she'd been a monster about it, my reply would have been different, responsibility or no," Mina prefaced her answer with. "But when, rather than draining dry the one vein and moving to another, her first reaction after a brief drink was to hug me, and exclaim with almost starstruck wonder... It was very clear that even while caught up in an urge she could not control, the princess truly is a good person."

Closing her eyes and sighing, she finished. "At least, try to... get her back to whatever diet she had been on before, though, before you offer me up as daily feed?"

Mina also tried her best to ignore the countess's own musings, the other woman evidently also hankering for a taste. She was right though, she did have better self-control, thankfully, but she certainly ought to, given the age difference. Still it would behoove her to keep from accidentally tempting this one more than was healthy. Suddenly, the gravity of what she'd agreed to sunk in, and the hairs on the back of her neck began to rise. Hopefully this wouldn't come back to bite her later.

At the little banter between barman and person of interest, the redhead simply arched a brow before his eyes widened at the sudden reveal. Ho?  A vampire they say?  If it weren't for the fanged smile he would've agreed with the man that had shouted, but seeing as there was some kind of proof Mikaela simply stared for a moment before smiling once more.

"Well I'll be!  To be in the presence of a vampire is, dare I say exciting?" he continued with obvious delight.  "It definitely sways my decision of joining your little entourage.  I want to say yes, but please tell me more about your group.  How many are humans and vampires?  What are they like?" 

"Nothing, I suppose. It's lamentable that little else could be done, but the situation seems to have been handled to it's best, so we should be grateful for that. I must compliment your tact, Miss Mina... it seems you acted with more prudence than most would, in your situation. For that, I thank you." Astrid noted, giving the schoolteacher an appreciative smile.

"Of course we shall try, but I would not... expect much to come of it. Had it been one of the others, perhaps, but you... I feel like that is quite the mountain to climb. Though, Misea may change all of this when they find out, again." Astrid continued with a sigh, breathing in with her nose afterwards... a mistake, perhaps. Mina was too close, the scent of her blood still too fresh. It truly was intoxicating, a dreadfully tempting scent.

"Mruh, life truly is unfair. I go out of my way not to press myself on any of you, and she brazenly loses control, yet she is the one to taste you. Tell me, Miss Mina, have I erred in some way? What is is that I have done, to have such cruel punishment doled upon me?" The Countess asked, gingerly reaching out to cup Mina's cheek, finger tenderly caressing beneath her chin.

"You're a truly torturous woman, you know?"

It was perhaps the greatest concession she could reasonably expect. Wilhelmina was a little surprised to find she wasn't so much terrified of the prospect as she was... resigned to it. She'd been about to shrug, and turn back to see how Alex was getting on with the horse shopping when the countess's hand on her face brought her up abruptly short.

Oh. Of course. She'd already pressed her luck too far, tempted too much, yet again. Here was a grown woman, practically begging her, not quite groveling, but certainly singing her lamentations. If not for what had happened with Almira, Mina would have been convinced this was all just an act, a ruse to prey upon the hapless. But now? Maybe she really was heaping injustice upon the woman.

Too much was too much, however, and having her cheek touched out of the blue like that was discomforting. Bringing her own hand up to grab Astrid's and slowly remove it, still holding on as she lowered them back down to waist level, Mina asked a burning question, necessary not only for satisfying her curiosity, but directly relevant to the request at hand.

"Just, how much do you people need, anyway? The horror stories would have had me believe you'd leave behind nothing but husks, yet the princess was content with just a mouthful?"

As Mina removed the Countess' hand from her cheek, Astrid shook her head slightly, almost as though attempting to clear it. Well, she hadn't been shoved back or left with screams, so the slight slip appeared to have not been overly damning.

"Mmn, forgive me. Slipped a moment... ah, our needs? Not more than... oh, say a healthy glass of wine's worth at a time. If Almira took a mouthful, that should be more than enough to... satiate her for the time being. As for those... stories, they are just that. Vampires have left husks in their wake before, but generally only as a scare tactic. The only reason to empty a human of blood is if you wish to turn them, but you wouldn't leave an empty corpse behind, if that was your goal."

"Really, it's no big deal, Almira." Alex chuckled, "Maybe we should get you to try a pony?" That was kind of adorable to think of, one of these silly things that you couldn't help but smile at. Alex couldn't help a silly grin. "But yeah, don't think too hard on-- Oh, you do have reins, don't you?" She jerked her head quickly, rather relieved to hear that from the keeper. "Yeah, I'll sure need one right now."

"Don't worry none, Almira. I'd say we meet the others first... but most everybody is here except Misea, for some reason." How weird that it all ended up like this. Regardless, Alex shrugged, "How about we go meet he--him, and figure out how much of today we can enjoy." Alex would probably spend some time getting that horse ready to pull the carriage, probably not much thanks to its docile nature, but regardless... "Can't believe there's much all to see here, but I should probably give the smithy a visit..."

"It's all I had on my list. Was there something else you wanted to do or did you want to get back to Misea already?" He knew that she was probably a bit anxious. After all, this was, from what they'd been saying, the first time she had really been out and about among humans. That had to be difficult. Especially being away from Misea who seemed to be a bit of a security blanket for her. "We can head back to the inn while Alex goes shopping for weapons, if you want. I don't really need any with the ones that I got yesterday." The town wasn't likely to have dark tomes if he had to guess, and the need for a second gun right now was low. Better to get Almira somewhere she felt comfortable.

A glass a day, or so? Or... how long did a dose actually hold them? Wilhelmina found herself running down the worst case scenarios. Separating the facts from the fictions was helpful and reassuring.

...Except for that comment about 'turning them', that caused the hairs on the back of her neck to once again remind the teacher why they were already on edge. Still...

Letting go her grasp on Astrid's hand, she turned the underside of her wrist up and held it out. "Never let it be said I've treated you unkindly. But, not the neck, and just this once." A guilty concession.

"Truly? How generous of you~" Astrid replied gleefully, her jovial expression swiftly turning mischievous as she took a step towards Mina, taking hold of the offered wrist and using it to pull herself in, the Countess' left arm snaking around Mina's waist and giving the Teacher a possessive squeeze, hand coming to rest on her hip, fingers gingerly drumming against her side, softness evident through the clothes she wore. All the while, Astrid's mouth had, as Mina had not wanted it would seem, come up to her neck, just as her back found itself gently pressed into the stable wall, Astrid's lips coming down on her jugular-

Just her lips, mind, Leaving a tender kiss on Mina's neck, the vampire pulled away after a short moment without taking a bite, trailing her lips up to Mina's ear, lightly nibbling on it as she loosed her warm breath across the sensitive skin, tongue darting out playfully for but a moment.

"Ahh, no neck? Well... if you insist~" Came the eventual affirmation of Mina's original condition, sultry and with heavy breath.