Tales of Malaketh: Ritual of the Blood Red Night - Part 1: On The Run

Nanami Touko

Hm?  Go back, and so soon?  "My friend, shopping has just gotten started!  I for one agree with Seph, and would like to look around just a bit longer," Mikaela couldn't help but declare as he looked over at Seph and gave him a secretive wink.  "Feel free to go back to the inn and tell the others that we'll be back before anything else comes up," and with a dismissive wave towards Glen he went over to Seph and gave him a smile.  "True, I did pay for it, but just like Glen said it's my choice to give it to whoever I think should deserve it.  You're right as well though, so I might just keep it for myself..."

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Well, there is a weapon shop, but I went there already, and I'm pretty sure that trip made Boot think of me as a sod, or something. I did see a few things, in particular I saw that Boot had a Shamshir for sale. I didn't have the money for it, and it's a little light for what I'm used to, anyway. There was also this odd looking lance, looked like it could shear the feathers off of a pegasus with no problem. Other than that, though, it seemed to be mostly the kinds of weapons Misea had on the cart. I'll go with you two there if you want, but I'm personally not gonna buy anything from there, unless for some reason you need me to pitch in gold. " Though he wasn't quite ready to go back into the weapon shop, he figured no one else had been, especially not Mikaela. If there was any time to stock up on weapons, it would be now.

• 2 weeks later...

Time waits for no man, and no vampire. The day steadily progressed, as the group dealt with their wishes in town, all eventually settling in for a rest. Even Misea, used to staying awake at night, managed a bit of rest.

Working With Incomplete Information

Misea set Almira down on the bed opposite their own, before walking over to sit on it, folding their arms and then a leg, staring Alex down. "Right. Stand or sit, and tell me exactly what you

think you know about vampires. Because I am... Very confused, as to where the idea of 'making servants', came from." Really, what sort of rumors were these? Just, what? Ridiculous!

"R-right." Now Alex had found herself in Misea and Almira's bedroom... all things considered, she was calmed than she should be, at least from her knowledge. There wasn't much room to interpret Misea's curiosity as anything else, however. Perhaps what she heard about vampires were a bit off. "So... about vampires, we have stories. Back at home is the farthest humans live from actual ones, though, so most our knowledge comes from just that: stories n' all." She paused, distracted by Almira as she rustled some on her bed. Poor girl was still quite under the influence. Sleep was bound to come soon, though, Alex knew from experience.

"What I know is that you guys are stronger than human, and if ya bite us... well, you drain all our blood and can turn us into servants. That's how I know it... I-I mean. Obviously you don't need the full course, if Almira got spared and all, but..." They were still cautionary tales.

Misea groaned, heavily. What a mess. Was that truly, truly what was believed across the continent. "Right... First off, if any of us tried to drink one of you try, outside of one very special circumstance, we'd explode. We're still human in body, we have stomachs, your entire body's worth of blood is not about to fit inside of my, Alex." And servants... "Perhaps thousands of years ago, that was possible. But I can't control you more than I can control Almira's drinking, were I to have a taste. And if you don't believe me, I'll prove it... At the cost of a bit of you, but I'll not have my name slandered through false knowledge."

"I... is that so..." Alex chose to stand there, still reluctant, but easing up a bit when Misea corrected about the 'sucking dry' part. At least it meant they wouldn't be turning one of them against their will, probably. "Wait, what's that about thousands of years ago? What was different then?" That bit of information left Alex puzzled, brows furrowed at Misea. "And, uh... I think, I'll take your word on the biting then. Mina has, uh, she's not acting strange, although she did try to cover Almira's bite..." She mumbled the last part, starting to doubt herself again. Needless to say, she didn't want Misea to go through with his suggestion and prove her either wrong or right.

"... We used to be a much different race, feeding solely on the blood of humans to survive. You all have magical qualities to yourself, ones that, over those years, turned us into much different, more powerful creatures... None of which exist, anymore. We live off of animals or each other, and that same magic is lost to the ages. Even if I were to spend a hundred years drinking off of humans, it wouldn't change anything. I already am what I am... It would take generations of doing so to come close to recreating what once was... And I don't think anyone's interested in doing that."

"A much different race, huh..." That was frightening to think of, honestly, but maybe that's what started all the rumours. It did make Misea's counterclaims more believable. "So you were stronger... and decided to stop, something like that? Sounds a bit weird, but I'm guessing it's more complicated than that?" It did seem without reason, so Alex still wanted to be sure... "I-I get I should really trust you more as the one who did the hirings, but... just want to know."

"Well, you all weren't exactly happy about being food, or so the history texts say. And we were... A lot weaker when it came to the sun. To the point of actually burning under it. It wasn't hard to stage a war, and have it work, with day on your sides... It's ancient history now, the point is: I cannot drink you dry, except in... Extreme, private, personal circumstances, I cannot control anyone, I cannot turn into a bat," nipping that one before it came up, "or anything else any legends may say. And I'm only stronger than you at night. Remnants of the old gods."

"Ah..." That was enlightening, if anything. The vampires used to be much different. Weaker in some areas, even, and truly feared. Alex could understand why the general decision was to change, in a way. "So these changes just made it easier to live, kinda?" It wasn't too foreign a concept... and then there was the point about drinking dry being extremely personal, or something like that. "That... that clears up a lot of things." At least she didn't need to bring up the bat one, "I'm kinda curious though, what's personal about drinking somebody dry then?" Was there something more to it?

"What's personal, you ask..." Misea didn't sigh this time, but it was certainly not easy to talk about. "When... We're, immortal. Not invincible, we can still die, of course. As easy as anyone else... But, as long as our health keeps up, and we don't let sharp objects rob us of our innards, we'll live forever. Your lot... Doesn't." Would Alex understand the ramifications? "When a vampire and a human fall in love... And I don't mean, fancy each other, I mean... When it's something, definitely serious. We... Turn them, into a vampire. It's not a pleasant process. It takes pretty much, an entire day. And... It's not something done lightly."

"Oh..." That... was a lot to take in. Alex could already picture the process in her mind... and she could fully understand why it wouldn't be pleasant. Brr... imagine dying like that, on a bed in a dark room, while a vampire keeps draining and draining your blood. It was nothing short of horrifying, but one could turn into a vampire this way, huh? Perhaps the rumours still had something going for them. "Yeah, I think I get that... not really curious to see that happening anytime soon though." She sighed, hand on each side of her torso. For something that started to clear misunderstanding, Alex had wringed out a lot of information on vampires thanks to this. "I... don't think I'll ever get used to you guys biting one of us, but at least I get it's not all I thought it was... so thanks, Misea." Thinking about it, wasn't there something she wanted to ask him as well...?

"That's fine. We'll stick to Mina then, since she seems rather receptive." A small bit of vampire based levity, to try and bring Misea's attention away from their own worries. "Did you have anything else, then? That's all I had to get off of my mind."

"I-- Oh geez, I, I don't know about 3 vampires on Mina like that." Could she even make enough blood to deal with being a triple donor? "Just... I don't know, there really no other way?" She couldn't get them out of it, if they needed blood...

"Hmm, also, I wanted to ask. You are... were... are? a knight, right?" That was something she'd planned to ask quite a way back, in retrospect. Long journeys were to blame. "If you don't mind, I want to learn about the sword from an actual knight! Y'see, I just, kind of picked it as I went, but there's a lot I'm still not... good, at." If there was somebody that could gush about knighthood, it was Alex, but she wasn't going to act it outright, especially after being a pest to Misea earlier.

"You don't have to worry about her that much. We're not drinking litres here, goodness..." Misea shook their head, Alex was still so misinformed... Then again, there was no way to correct her without showing her. They shrugged, as Alex's next point was much more interesting. "You could've fooled me, with how ready to swing it you are~" They chuckled, nodding their head. "I am a knight, though perhaps not quite literally anymore. If I can help your sword swinging, then I've no issue aiding you. Perhaps later this evening, or before bed? Go to sleep after a nice workout."

"Hmm, before bed, yes. Sleep after a nice workout sounds nice." Heavy, well-earned sleep was the best. It's also give her a chance to see Misea fighting his all again. In the end, at least Alex had gained something fruitful out of the conversation. "I just... wing it with most things, to be honest, but back when the vampires attacked us I didn't really get to do much. It was all you and Astrid."

"We only handled their captain. You all did the rest. Don't sell yourself short, Alex..." Misea smiled, but sighed. "I'll make a fighter out of you, yet~ Just, promise you'll be less ready to stab me, when I sit next to you, yes?"

"Heh, alright. If you say so..." She only really charged at one vampire, and then the fight was over in a flash, but Alex shook that thought off quickly --no point getting caught up in past battles--. "Oh, I, well, I'll try not to." That was a bit hard still, she realized. "Sorry, just... even if we're not getting turned into servants and all that, bites are painful, and ones that draw blood?  Eesh. But, I get you guys can control yourselves and aren't going to jump on us for no reason..." She could at least keep that on the back of her mind. "I can do not drawing swords, yeah." That'd make things nicer, hopefully.

Misea stared dully at Alex. "It's really, not that bad."

That dull stare felt a bit too judgemental, Alex was even starting to feel dumb. "I... but, how? It's a bite that draws blood, right? I mean, it's gotta at least sting a little bit and everything... like..." If he was that adamant... "Guess I just, don't know what else it could be."

"Well yes, it stings, but if it didn't feel good after, no one would bother letting us. Honestly, I meet so many humans who are just--"

"I's just like this, Alex~" Almira had tuned into the conversation at some, point, hopping up on the bed behind the swordswoman, and leaning onto her neck, fangs digging themselves in without hesitation~

"Almira!" Misea was rather alarmed, dashing over and pulling her away, but the deed had already been done. "You! You can't just, do that! Dammit, Almira... Alex, are you alright?" Theoretically, she should be perfectly fine, but...

"S-Sorry... She just, kept bein' all, wrong... I had t'show 'er..."

"It just feels good? Like--" Alex wasn't really buying it, but at that point, she was willing to trust Misea's word on that.

That is, until a certain someone got the jump on her, sinking relatively tiny fangs on her neck.

"Gah!!" While her initial reaction was to shake Almira off of her, feeling the weak but localized sting, Alex was frozen by the feeling that came afterwards. Some euphoria, her heart beating faster. She gasped, almost losing balance, and sat down on the edge of Almira's bed once she was finished, for balance. "W-what..." That feeling was like a punch to the gut, nothing like what she was expecting at all. Maybe dull, a tingling sensation, but not... this.

"T-this is... why am I feeling... so nice?" Bizarre, absolutely, but... "Is this what... I, I need a moment." She was still breathing faster than usual, probably thanks to the brief panic attack. "I... hnn~" Her hand reached her neck, inspecting the bitten area. "Not... bleeding?"

"You silly little girl. Sit down. Gods, one bite and you turn into this. Almira, have I taught you nothing? You're going to end up like Astrid if you continue on like this."

Almira finally seemed to understand the severity of things, looking down and shrinking up. "I'm... I'm sorry..."

"... You're feeling like that because that's what vampire bites do. A feeling of euphoria, and the wound closes immediately, as to not injure the target further. I told you they weren't anything like what you thought... Not that this is how I'd have wanted you taught." Misea sighed. "I'm sorry. I'm going to have to keep her away from alcohol if it turns her into this. Here I thought she was ready to be an adult."

"I'm sorryyyyyyyyy."

Almira seemed to have caught quite the reprimand for her actions. It reassured Alex, somewhat, even if seeing Almira, innocent thing as she (usually) was, apologize, felt pitiable. "I... d-don't, go too hard on her. I didn't expect, but... n-now I know, I guess..." It was definitely a weird feeling. "This is... so off. Like my mind is telling me to hate it, but it feels..." She wouldn't mind it again? Hopefully with consent, but she wasn't saying either out in the open. "Haa... I, how long does it last?"

"... A few minutes. I'm sorry. Ugh... This was supposed to be a quick little adventure. Get to the capital, send you all on your merry ways. And then Astrid shows up, and convinces me to give this one the taste of warm blood... Now she's bitten two of you, and once like this?" Misea sighed. "I'm sorry again, Alex. Just... At least, you know. I suppose."

"I..." Misea was really sorry, huh... "Don't... don't mind it. It's not, bad, just like you said. I think I'm mostly over the shock, just..." She glanced at Almira. "Somebody got the blood of two humans in a day, huh?" Her tone implied a chuckle, dry as it was. In all honesty, Alex was still caught up in the euphoria. It took a bit to attempt standing up again. "Hnn... I was, rude too, with all these rumours. My bad." Her face was a bit flushed trying to stare at the floor. It was clear the feeling was foreign to her, or was shocking even harder thanks to the drinks prior. "I'll... believe you next time."

"I'll... Come see you later, to help you with your sword practice. I have to make sure this one actually gets to sleep, this time." Almira grumbled, but Misea wasn't having it, tossing her a stern glare. "Thank you for listening, Alex. Even if it went this way."

"Thanks... I'll see you, uh, later tonight. Yeah." Alex continued a light blush. "I-I'm going to leave, now. Go... good night, Almira." She stammered, before going to the door. Right now, Alex needed to collect her thoughts more.

It was the early hours of the morning... Barely five o'clock, yet the town was restless. A group, no less than twenty men and women, were gathering outside of the Half Calf Inn... Led by a man in robes, weather a rather tall had, adorned with jewels and gold trim. He seemed middle aged, but his eyes bore dark bags under them, his lack of sleep apparent. "Hear ye, fair town of Rolan! We have been beset by the worst omen possible... The worst thing imaginable, and this inn, our own, beloved Half Calf, it harbors creatures of the night! Yet, pause a moment, forgive its owner, forgive the establishment... Bewitched were they to help these monsters, but we are here to set things right!"

That was enough to stir Misea from their light sleep, peeking an eye out of the window, and hissing back away from it. It was early morning, but with the seasons, the sun was coming up right on time... "Damn that orb. Ugh..." Misea collect themselves, how to proceed? First was to rouse Almira... Then wake up everyone else, and break for the wagon. They could drive it right out of the city without issue, now that they had their horse situation remedied. "What a morning... Almira, please, wake up." Misea gave the girl a light nudge, the princess, slowly cracking open her eyes.

"Izzit morning already...?"

"We have to leave... Help me wake everyone else up." Speaking of... Astrid was nowhere to be found. Probably out prowling already. Hopefully not having gotten herself into any trouble.

"Okay... I'm getting up."

"Go and wake up Sephtis, alright? I'm going to fetch Alex and Mina..."

"I can do that... Mmm..." The groggy princess slipped her legs off of the bed and fitted them into her shoes, heading for the door. Misea was right behind her, already adorned in their combat gear.

"Seeeeeephtiiiiiiiiiis..." the still waking up vampire whined, "wake uuuuup." She knocked on his door lazily, hoping they would answer.

Misea was quick, knocking louder than the sleepy girl, an impatience in their voice. "Alex, Mina, we have to leave, now." They were a bit against bursting into the room of two women, despite the urgency, so they decided to wait a moment before trying. Might've locked it anyway...

Glendwr was woken up by shouting. He quickly moved to the window and saw a priest outside at the front surrounded by a crowd. "Fuck."He hastily put on his coat and boots, loaded his gun, and left to the hall where two of the 3 vampires were. "We have to move quickly. The Church is already onto us. I fear for Jackson, as well as you both and... where's Astrid?" He cocked the hammer back on his pistol. "If you want me to, I'll wake ever else up with this. It's not gonna be pretty, but this situation is gonna be a lot less pretty if we don't hurry." He moved to the stairwell to get a better look at the outside of the inn. " I don't like this situation one bit. We may have to fight our way out. " 

Edited by Hylian Air Force

Alex was definitely not signing up for the abrupt knocking. It was late enough that such noise would wake her up, but early enough to not appreciate it. "Mrr... what? What's going on at this time of day? Ugh." She stirred herself lazily, up and out of bed before Mina for what it was worth. Hopefully she would just sort out that issue and go back to sleep. "I'll answer..." Was that Misea's voice? There was a sense of urgency, but at that time of the morning it honestly bothered her. What possibly went wrong?

"Hello... oh, it is you..." Alex stifled a yawn, rubbing the stupor out of her eyes. "What's going on, Misea? Uh..." Judging by his face, this wasn't good news. Alex clutched the side of her basic white sleep gown, starting to feel the inadequacy of it. "Umm, are we leaving?" She had to ask.

They had to be doing this now, of all times. By mid-afternoon they would have been long gone, but nooo... the angry church mob had to do an early morning attack. Bloody sun, if it had only been an overcast day, she could have gone out there without a fear in the world, but it was bright out, the rays oh-so mocking in their assholish radiance. Well, there was nothing for it but to go out there and deal with it come what may... although there was one last issue to deal with.

"Well Sharena, it seems our little meet and greet will have to be... pushed aside. If my intuition is correct, the girl that ran off and ditched us yesterday decided to inform the Church that we're here... even if I'm wrong, that won't make the mob go away." Astrid frowned, looking out the window of Sharena's humble shop, glowering at the sun through the bundle of cloth she had wrapped herself in for comfort.

"I have to make sure they're alright, as you'd expect... I... if you chose not to go outside with me, I would understand, Sharena. If I know sun zealots... and unfortunately I do, somehow I doubt they would be swayed simply by the knowledge we intended to make ourselves scarce without their provocation. If you still wish to follow, I would appreciate your aid, but asking you to fight against your fellow townsfolk is not quite the same as vampiric pursuers." Astrid noted, holding her hand on the doorknob for the moment. If only it were so simple as grabbing the blonde and skipping town while they were distracted, but... there were too many of the bastards to leave the safety of Misea and the others to chance.

"Glendwr, you fire that pistol, and I throw your body as a distraction! We're gathering quickly and quietly, not a damn one of you is getting their attention with something stupid like that." What a fool of a man he truly was, if they were lucky, and quiet enough, they could sneak out of here without issue! And he wanted to fire off his gun and get everyone else in the inn interested in this situation? Damn fool. "And stay put. Until everyone else is awake... Gods, it's like herding sheep."

Misea let out a frustrated sigh, staring at Alex. "Wake Mina up. The town's church has been informed that we... That is to say, Astrid, myself, and Almira, are here. And they are none too pleased with the thought of vampires in their sunny little hamlet." Speaking of sunny, that was starting to creep in through the windows, damned summer days... "And be quick about it, if you can. I know you've a lot of armor to setup... I will at least say, seeing you dressed as a proper woman, is quite the welcome sight. Were we not beset upon, I'd likely be happy."

"No! You're not the beast they try to claim you as... I won't let them hurt you. Not after that wonderful night you showed me. I never had a strong attachment to these people, I was planning to leave today. And I've now got someone wonderful to leave with~" Sharena smiled, though the doubt was clear on her face. Doubt that she could do much to help Astrid against a mob of angry people, yet she would still try. "The irony still isn't lost on me, light magic being used to help a vampire... But, I'll do what I can! Oh, er, I can use a heal staff as well... Do those work on your kind? I-If so, I can patch you up if you need it. Let's get back to your friends!"

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

"Thank you, Sharena. I am glad to have had such a positive influence on you~" Astrid replied with a grin, before her face settled into a more serious expression.

"They do, in fact. That will be quite a boon indeed. Before we depart, I think it best to set out a plan, no? Our main goal should be to regroup with them, but along the way we can make a point to try and ease the burden upon them as well. I would like you to try to stay behind me the best you can... light magic aside, I am confident that I'm a bit more sturdy than you are... I also have no means to heal your wounds." Astrid noted, watching the crowd through the window. They still didn't seem to be aware that one of their targets was not at the inn, and drawing attention before the others could make use of it would do little good. Stepping from the door for a moment, the Countess gingerly cupped Sharena's face, leaning in for a light kiss, parting moments afterward.

"I can see your doubt, dear, but you needn't let it consume you. Focus on keeping yourself out of harms way, and tending to any wounds I may accrue. Even under the sun, I have no intention of being felled by a village guardsman. Just follow my lead."

Mikaela, as much of an early bird as he was, had slept in due to the trip he had taken as well as the shopping from yesterday.  Even so, before Seph he had heard the sudden calling and without much trouble he started getting up and heading towards the door.  "Hm?  Ah, Almira?  To what do I owe such an early greeting?  Or well, Seph in this case, since you were calling for him right?" he asked, tilting his head to the side.  "Would you like me to go fetch him for you?" he asks, before noticing Glen and Misea already up an about as well.  

"....Is something amiss?" 

"...The church? Ah, crap..." Alex knew well that this couldn't go well. Some of her biases were a byproduct of the sun church's beliefs itself. If they heard about vampires around, and the head was bothered enough... well, it spoke for itself in their situation. What struck Alex as odd was their decision to attack now, rather than the middle of the night. Then she remembered who her contractors were. "They were waiting for the sun to rise on purpose, right. Tryin'a catch you guys while you're weaker. I'm gonna get Mina to--"

Oh, geez, even if Misea was still taking heavy note of the situation they were in, the odd equivalent to a compliment threw Alex off. "Bwuh, I-- It's just sleepwear... I'm not gonna sleep with my armor on, you know?" Alex couldn't make sense of why he had to point it out. Off-hand as it was, it still made her blush. "Lots to do, gonna hustle." She closed the door, agreeing with the vampire on a point: They needed to get out as soon as possible.

"Mina? Hey, rise and shine, girl." Getting to her roomate's bed, Alex gave Mina a fair shake, not enough to hurt, in an attempt to rouse her. "We gotta hit the road fast. Can you pack our things? I got, uh... gonna be busy here." That armor wasn't going to outfit itself.

Glendwr lowered his gun as Mikaela came out of the room "The Church is onto them being here. We have to go, and hope no one sees us leaving. " He looked at Misea. "You're right, bad idea. Luckily, everyone is getting up right now. Hopefully, we can get out without being seen, but our luck thus far has been... lacking, to say the least." He moved back to the stairs and raised his gun again. Come on, people! We have far less than all day!

Edited by Hylian Air Force

Seph groaned, rolling out of his bed, barely managing to get his feet underneath him as he rubbed at his eyes. The bed had been so much more comfortable than the ground from the previous night... And there'd been that odd dream... A hand to his neck... No, just a dream. Rubbing at his eyes, he quickly tossed on his shirt and jacket, grabbing his bag from beside the bed and stumbling over to the door. "Mmm, whu? Almira, why..." Glancing, he saw Glen brandishing his gun, Misea seeming quite irritated, and the others all assembling. "Sssoo, who's tryin to kill us this time?"

This time?  Mikaela couldn't help but laugh at the other's response, wiping away a fake tear before clapping the other on the back.  "You've just made my day dear Seph," he said with a smile before looking over at Misea.  "So, what shall we do now?  Leave from the back and try to sneak away?  I'm sure you dont want to cause more commotion than there already is...." he trailed off, because at that moment he noticed Glen brandishing his gun once more and simply sighed at the situation.

"Is the gun really necessary if we're just trying to escape?  My good man, we're trying to leave inconspicuously from this establishment, not raise hell," he tutted the other before going back to get ready and dressed to leave. 

Wilhelmina hadn't exactly invited Astrid's company, but she'd been too defeated to even try to shoo her away, so there they were, the two of them seated at the bar. One tucking into some chicken stew, and the other... Mina lifted her gaze and turned to see just what the countess was up to. She'd said she wanted to talk, she must just be waiting for the right time; for her to finish eating, perhaps? Or just a pause, maybe, or for Jackson to be distracted by another customer or something. Who knew?

Gently nursing some sort of alcoholic beverage... Astrid wasn't quite sure what the concoction was, really. After the barkeep had noted they didn't have her usual choices, she simply asked to be surprised. Still, it seemed about time to get on with this, at any rate.

"Well, Mina... to begin with, I would like to apologize. In the heat of the moment, I forgot our situation, so to speak."

Ah, here it comes... oh? Rather than what she'd half feared, half expected, what met Mina's ears was not another self-assured comment about how the countess's door would be always open to her, assuming that now that the teacher had gotten that first taste it was only a matter of time before she came running at the invitation. Even imagining the haughty hypothetical caused her blood to burn, and her fingers curled tightly around her spoon.

But. This was not that. This was, in fact, much the opposite. An apology, mostly straightforward at that, despite the weak excuse for her behavior at the end. Resting the head of the spoon on the lip of her bowl, she straightened her back, sitting full upright.

"Yes, I understand. I too, often forget that I've just met someone, mistaking them for a long lost lover, eager for my embrace." The pointed digs were probably unnecessary, but certainly felt good after a stressful day. "Do go on, though, you said that's just the beginning?"

"Charming~ I am serious, though. I have... a bit of a reputation, near the borderlands. It is not a far trip past the border to enter Svarljearn, and many an adventurous soul seek out my keep for... pleasures of the flesh. The tells of attraction are really quite similar at their core, and to be in a situation to see them from someone not actively seeking my affections is not something I've experienced in... years. Might be decades, now." Astrid replied, allowing her voice to hang on her initial response, before allowing her explanation to continue after a few moments.

"Simply put, I am unused to the tables being turned in such a way, and acted in a manner more fit for my usual... indulgences~ You seem to have wholly forgiven Almira for stealing your blood, and Misea for demanding it in turn, so I would hope that a simple slip such as this would not leave a rift cleft between you and I."

This was still perhaps the most bizarre apology imaginable. Astrid practically admitting that after having hosting so many orgies at her estates she rather lost track of how normal people go about courtship was quite the gobsmacker. Not to mention the unbelievable claim that she, Wilhelmina, was sending her some sort of signals of attraction. Curiosity, sure, the teacher could buy that, intrigue and interest as well in healthy parts. But what she was implying? Ha, hardly.

Mina turned her face forward again, dropping her gaze and studying the contents of her soup as she contemplated a reply. "Well, you're right that I've not been seeking affections, not from you nor from anyone on this journey, in fact," she started, cementing the baseline. "I doubt that will change as the days go on, either, but if your history is truly as you say, such a misconception on your part is perhaps somewhat understandable." At this last comment, the teacher turned back to the countess a look of marvel on her face, that not only would a woman admit of multiple partners, but even seem to be bragging of it. What a truly different world she came from.

"As for where we stand going forward? So long as you can keep your lips and your hands to yourself, I don't see much cause to ostracize or berate. I'm not sure you'll ever rise to the level of 'preferred company', but there's no need for things to be altogether icy between us either." A hefty concession. Not quite a saintly one, but Mina had no aspirations for canonization.

"You doubt it will change, do you? I'm not so certain of that, but... I suppose we'll simply have to wait and see. If all you would have me do to remain afoul of poor graces is to not physically press upon you, then so be it. I can surely manage that much, lamentable as it might be. A mite shame though, I feel as though, had I held myself with a tad more discretion, a few bouts of teasing might have proved enjoyable for us both... alas." Astrid replied, shaking her head a bit, before looking back at Mina. Might not ever rise to preferred company, was it? Hopefully that wouldn't be the case.

"With any luck, I should hope you come to recognize my charms, and I can become preferred company, despite~"

Ah, there it was. The long-expected boundless confidence; the countess was entirely unshakable. Mina felt a headache coming on, and though she didn't often, found herself badly wanting a drink.

"Don't hold your breath," she answered, in defeated amusement, then paused. "You do... need to breathe, right?" It was something taken so for granted, she wasn't even sure. Would the idiom still have meaning? Yet another reason to want to cradle her head in her hands.

"Jackson!" Mina called to the barkeep, "Could you fix me up something stiff. Anything will do."

One stiff drink had left Wilhelmina feeling rather good, especially when she had a little less blow flowing to dilute it. Tempted though she'd been to indulge in another, she knew she ought not, and had instead retired to the room she was to share with Alex, whenever she returned. For a while she amused herself at playing with the lock on the door, a very simple thing, unlikely to keep anyone out were they even halfway serious, so she didn't even bother engaging it when they finally lay down for the evening. Instead, she went back to drawing up lessons for Almira, and further, to whatever limited research she could do on vampires with the few resources she'd brought. When it finally came time to sleep, it took her hard and unforgiving.

Finding herself rocked awake, she sat up, in the same nightgown she had lent Astrid just before, trying her best to ignore the flights of fancies that told her that despite the washing it had been given, she could still smell the countess's scent upon it. What an unpleasant thought to have immediately upon waking. Well, unfortunately for Mina, there was more bad news down the pipe. "Pack our stuff?" She echoed briefly, not yet fully come to grasp the situation, but then seeing Misea standing outside the door, still ajar, a look of frustration upon her... his face, and Glen behind him with weapon drawn, there were only so many conclusion to be drawn.

"We're being run out the town then, is it? Very well. Let me be quick with that, and then help you with any straps or buckles that still need doing. I'm not sure how exactly all that armor works, and wouldn't be caught dead trying to lug myself around in it, but you showed it off rather well the other night, so... whatever keeps us all in the best of shape."

Edited by Balcerzak

"Ah... Mm...!" Sharena flushed a brilliant red, grumbling somewhat. "Now isn't the time for s-such affections... We, have to take this seriously." Astrid was, in her own way, but that certainly wasn't helping the shopkeep. "I'll... I'll do what I can. Let us be off."

"Alex, my dear, it's because it's just sleepwear that it's a welcome sight. Come, now, don't be like that." And everyone seemed to be caught up... Misea sighed, at least nothing had gone horribly wrong at gathering the group. "Just... Everyone, get yourselves ready. Yes, Mikaela, leaving from the back is likely our best bet. I'd give my regards to Jackson, but I don't think we have the time, and... Well, I'd rather not involve him if I can avoid it." Misea left the rest of the group to their items, heading back into their room for a moment to collect their own armaments. Hopefully we don't have to harm too many people... I'd rather avoid killing any humans, if possible.

"Mhhhwuhh, trying to kill us? Huh?" Almira had woken up late, now cluing into the situation. The poor dear. "Oh... O-Oh, we're being attacked! Oh no! Uh... Uh g-get ready, I, I guess...!" She was fairly panicked, storming over to her sword, before staring at Misea and waiting for orders on what to do.

"Heh... Just take some deep breaths, Almira. We'll be fine, I promise."

Of course, the back entrance had been covered, though not as well as the front. A guard waiting there turned and ran as the group came out, heading towards the head priest.

"S-Sir, they're here!"

"Sinners!" he bellowed across the town, towards the inn, "face your retribution, and it shall be swift! I have no wish to see you suffer, I shall grant you such a mercy!" He waved a hand, and his angry band of townsfolk and guard alike fanned out over the town.

"Like hell," Misea spat out. What fool walked to their death? "Alright, everyone, the stables are just a few blocks down... If you can avoid it, try to knock them out, instead of killing them, but your lives over theirs. I'll not have anyone falling to this prattle over such a foolish leader's orders. Let's go!"

Night of Dreams

The sun was just setting as Seph happily ran back towards the village. He couldn't wait to tell his father that he'd finally managed to cast a dark magic spell, the sign that he was ready to advance further into his training. His face was bright with happiness as he burst through the last layer of trees into their small collection of houses on the outskirts of the village. But something slowed his steps as he did. There was silence and a smell he had never smelled before rising on the air. A putrid smell, the source of which he quickly discovered. Bodies lay everywhere. Aunts, uncles, cousins... siblings... Mother, Father, no... no no no...

"No... No, mom!" He bolted upright, grabbing for the gun at the side of his bed, panting. A dream. Not again. He thought he'd left those behind him. They'd been frequent enough in the months after he'd discovered his family dead. But for several years now, they had left him alone. But they were back, it seemed. And there was only one thing that had changed. The vampires... It didn't really make sense. His parents hadn't been killed by vampires, after all. Or at least he didn't think they had been. Everything he'd seen and heard from villagers had indicated it was men who had done so but... It's because you're dishonoring them, Sephtis. Flirting with a vampire, holding her hand... He shook his head, trying to rid himself of those thoughts. His parents had respected a vampire's right to live so long as they weren't attacking innocents. And Almira was an innocent herself, wasn't she?

Groaning quietly, hoping to avoid waking his room companion, he rolled out of bed, knowing that he wouldn't be able to fall asleep again soon. He debated throwing a shirt on, but with his intended goal being the washroom to throw some water on his face and try and snap out of this, he decided on the lazy route. Making his way out of the room as quietly as possible to avoid waking his roommate, he gently shut the door behind him, pausing for a moment, his back against the door, to take a breath. This is the right thing to do. They need your help. You can't abandon them now, not after everything you've heard...

Was he still dreaming, or was he awake? At the end of the hallway, leaning against the window sill, was Almira... Staring almost blankly out at the moon, half shown in the night sky. Her eyes were almost glowing, staring up at it, like she was being drawn towards it. She was nearly motionless, just breathing gently, night gown fluttering under the slight breeze entering the window.

Seph froze, staring at the moonlit vampire. Was she real? The glow in her eyes wasn't something he remembered seeing the previous night. Maybe he was still dreaming, this a figment of his imagination. He reached out a hand towards her, only half realizing what he was doing. He felt drawn to her like she seemed drawn to the moon. An inexplicable call, that he was powerless to resist. He found himself approaching her, a small cough the only warning before he gently touched the small of her back. "Almira? Are you ok? You seem... different."

The cough made her stir, looking back towards him, that same, eerie glow still radiating from her. "Seph... tis...?" She tilted her head somewhat, taking a step towards him, pressing up against his chest. "Mmnn... I'm... Hungry..." A small heave left her mouth, gently hugging him without hesitation.

This had to be a dream. The glow was so different from anything he had seen before, the way she immediately hugged him...  A more peaceful dream than the last one, that was for sure. A nice one, even with the conflicting feelings in his head. "W-well, I can try and find Misea for you." His words were followed by him accepting the hug, gently stroking her hair as he did. She was warm, more than he'd been expecting, a further hint that this might be a dream. After all, she hadn't been this warm before, right? A dream meant he could be less on guard, enjoy the moment. This was nice...

Slowly her hands crawled up his back, before one slipped to the front again, sliding up his neck to cup his face. She peered up at him with a curious look in her eye. "Can..." She was on her toes, trying to close the distance, he was just so tall... "Can I bite you...?" She was so hungry, after all... And he was so warm, she could feel his heartbeat pumping that, delicious flavor through him... "Just a little bit..."

"Wh-Almira, are you ok?" Things had turned in a direction he hadn't been expecting, and quickly at that. She was clinging too him, trying to reach his neck, asking if she could bite him... "I... I thought you weren't supposed to have human blood? Don't you want Misea?" This wasn't what he expected out of a dream... Did this mean he was curious about being bitten? What did that mean about him?

"Please... I'm so hungry, you're... So, warm. I can feel you, I just... Bend over, some..." He was so tall, why was he so tall? Her fangs were already showing, she really wanted to sink into him, he was so, so close... "Pleeeease..."

"Hhhh, this is a dream. It-it has to be..." If it was a dream, that meant the consequences weren't there, right? He slowly bent down, bringing his face level with hers. "I... If you want to so much, I guess it's ok." It was a dream after all...

"Hahh... Thank you~" She didn't dally any longer, leaning into his neck and sinking her teeth hard into him, the sting perhaps hitting harder than normal, but the warm sensation that followed just as relaxing as it would be for anyone. She ended up hugging him tighter, drinking her fill... She stopped, but left her teeth in him for a moment, sighing softly and finally taking herself out of his neck proper. Her head cradled itself against where she'd bit, smiling wide. "You taste amazing...~"

A sharp intake of breath and a tightening of his grip were the only indications of the pain, as the sensation was quickly replaced with a warm glow. He relaxed as she drank, enjoying the warm sensation of her body against his, her mouth against his neck. As she released his neck, only to relax against him, he allowed a small smile, as he stroked her hair again. Looking down at her, he couldn't help the words that escaped his lips. "You-- You're beautiful." Panic twinged at the edge of his mind, but he was able to quickly shut it down. A dream. That's all this was. He would wake up in the morning, and never have to mention this to anyone. He could say whatever he wanted.

"Am I? Mmm... It's nice for you to say that." Beautiful... Really, he thought that? That was nice. "I hope we get to know each other a lot better... You should get back to laying down. Thank you, for the meal..." Slowly letting him go, she let her finger drag itself along his face, to the end of his chin, before letting him go. "Good night... Sephtis~" She turned to head back into her room, with a wide grin, almost licking her lips.

That response... That almost seemed more like Astrid. His brain wasn't doing so well at this whole dream. But still, she wasn't wrong. Maybe if he fell asleep in the dream, he would wake up in real life. Slowly heading back to his room, he yawned. Suddenly he felt very tired and heavy. Time to sleep indeed...

There was that bellowing buffoon, spouting the typical Sun-worshiping bastard's bullshit rhetoric. Astrid scoffed... no wish to see them suffer her ass. Still, perhaps she could call his bluff, they had house and fencing in between herself and the oaf.

"Sharena, if you've anything you feel you left in your home, it might be best to go retrieve it, before things escalate further. Perhaps you might be able to talk sense into the other shopkeeps as well... I would prefer not needing to kill them, if at all possible." Astrid noted to the blonde, before shifting slightly to move within line of sight of the Father and his obstinate gaffe.

"If you truly wish to not see us suffer as you so claim, then I would ask you and your men step aside, Father. We were merely passing through, our only reason to stop in this town was to rest and resupply. Either you may allow us to our wagon to depart and never hear from us again, or reveal your rhetoric as naught but a bold-faced lie. I would hate to leave you to bury your townsmen over such an impudent and rash decision, they seemed good, honest folk."

"I-I can try, but... I..." If Astrid wasn't going to shy away from harming the villagers, it would be difficult. She didn't have anything else to grab, so she did her best to keep up with the vampire, only pausing to hide behind her as she addressed the head priest... It didn't look like it was working.

"To arms, my friends! Look now, at the person behind this creature, so cowers our fair shopkeep. Dearest Sharena, have they poisoned your mind already? You shall soon be freed, do not be afraid, child!"

"Wh-What!? No! No, I haven't--"

"Worry not, this monster's hold shall not remain over you for long... To you, creature of the night, the girl behind you is all the evidence I need to claim your words false. You shall be put to death in the name of the sun, and we shall be rid of your menace. Repent!"

"... I'm so sorry, Astrid..."

"The only reason that she cowers is because of your lunacy, you sun-baked zealot. The only poison, if you wish to call it as such... and I'm certain that you do, that I've induced to her is dispelling the lies that you folk spout so fervently I'd think you might have a fetish for spewing garbage." Astrid riposted, clicking her tongue in annoyance. To say it had been worth a try was... undoubtedly a lie, but that was the way of things.

"Fret not, Sharena. Men such as he cannot be reasoned with, or have their positions shaken. They are already festering waist deep in a sweltering bog of myth, ankles fused into it's foul mud... I only hope that the townsfolk who are not as direct with the faith will step aside, where his followers will not." The Countess noted, in an attempt to re-assure the blonde behind her. Turning towards the main road and staring down the two men directly in her path, Astrid put on her most intimidating visage.

"We are leaving. If either of you have your senses about you, you will not stand in our way. Should you foolishly choose to draw arms and attack me, or posture to harm her... consider your lives forfeit. I should hope that I need not make things any more clear." Astrid put forth plainly, taking a step forwards, though keeping to a steady pace to begin with.

"See? This is exactly what I was talking about! Not 5 steps out the door, we have the city watch on our asses! Now pardon me while I get this oversized cauldron out of our way." 

Glendwr  moves to 13, 5 and shoots Town Guard 2 with Revolver.

The villager holding a small axe didn't back down, but good ol' Boot Buckle found himself second guessing things. "Miss Sharena, you ain't... Under no spell, right?" His axe was shaking a bit, he didn't know the girl very well, but having to kill someone...

"No! I'm not! She hasn't made me do anything I haven't wanted to... Please, trust me, they aren't the monsters he says they are! I mean it!"

"Ah, geez... I'm no killer. I ain't believin' you on just your words, these are vampire! But I can't... I can't kill someone. Go on, git. If you ain't gonna try'n hurt me, I won't get in your way."

Boot Buckle shall not move!

Glen's world gets a bit more bang!
(100% 15%)
(46% 45%)
A hit!
6 damage
No counter, nice range
(100% 15%)
(34% 50%
More hits
6 more damage
Sugoi!
Glen gains +12 EXP, +4 WEXP!

"Well, at the very least, one of them has come to their senses... take cover behind me, Sharena. So long as you can keep my wounds closed, I shall do all in my power to keep them from you. Just make your own safety your utmost priority. If the worst happens... run." Astrid noted, stepping further out from the side street, towards the main drag. It looked like the other villager still intended to strike, unfortunately. Pulling her axe and holding it in a defensive manner, she allowed her eyes to scan across the both of them. If at all possible, she'd prefer not to kill the ones that seemed to be simply dragged in, but...

Astrid moves to 19,13, equips Iron Axe

So they were going to have to run a gauntlet, huh? That's the way things looked after everything had finished getting packed and they'd exited the inn. Mina wasn't exactly thrilled about fighting humans... not that she'd been thrilled about fighting vampires previously either... Still there was little to be done. Heading straight down the lane, she fired off a couple warning shots, "Stay back!"

Mina to (11,7), lightning town guard 2