Tales of Malaketh: Ritual of the Blood Red Night - Part 1: On The Run

Nanami Touko

"We found some treasure, but also a spear trap. But elves? There's a lot of strange happenings going on around the world, but elves?" Glendwr couldn't believe what he was hearing... until he looked directly in front of him. Then he could hardly believe what he was seeing. "Well, I'll be damned. This is quite the revelation." Misea and Mina needed to see this... But they weren't behind him like he thought they were. What are they up to, now?

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A... throne?" Mina finally managed, after the pair had circled around what clearly could be nothing but. "Just what kind of place have you brought us to rest... You said you'd been here before even?"

Another couple of chests flanked the symbol of authority, but with the new development the teacher balked a bit at the thought of digging into them without knowing more of the story. When it had been possible to assume this was some bandits' den, secreting away their ill-gotten, pilfered goods or the like, that was one thing. This... was something entirely different.

"Missing the false wall, I could certainly see happening your last visit--which was when again exactly? But..." Wilhelmina found words fail her for a moment. There was an intense confusion that was hard to express. Giving up on trying to lodge a reasonable objection, she simply pivoted to something perhaps more manageable. "Just how much of this are you familiar with anyway? What were the circumstances that led you to shelter here?"

It was hard to imagine any lord the sort that would desire a throne to just, suddenly establish themselves somewhere on short notice. These sorts of things tended to have a more storied history to them. Could the mystery be unraveled, at least somewhat, by pulling at Misea's threads?

And if vampire knight couldn't answer... who could?

"It does seem strange...and rather convenient," Mikaela can't help but mutter as he listens to the information that was given so far.  "If you could explain what this place is yes, and maybe the reason as to why you were placed in such a state?" he asks, still placid and calm as he looks over at the elf.  For someone who's never seen an elf, Mikaela was easily keeping calm.  Then again she was a girl, there wasn't much that interested him to be honest...

"Uh... Okay... So, this, is the workshop of a mage named Sanctious." Juneau looked around for reactions, and got none... These folks were probably just commoners, or something... "Er, so, he's bad news... But if he isn't here anymore, I guess the king found him. Or drove him out, or, something. I've been stuck in the crystal so, I don't really know who has been coming and going all this time. I just... I just know that he's been using a lot of us, my kind, to experiment with death magic and other sorts of nonsense... This, all probably sounds pretty nonsense to you, doesn't it?" Juneau sighed, but it was the truth! "You really haven't run into anyone else? Oh, have you been downstairs yet? Maybe someone's there..."

"While I am flattered for you taking such interest in my past, this is a part I can't share with you... Simply because when I was last here, this grand hollow didn't exist. It was just that dirty old cave, no door, no halls, and especially no throne. I'm in the dark just as much as you are, dear Mina... Mmm, what a pity." The vampire had been scanning the room, and those chests, sighing quietly. "Already opened. Perhaps something left in them, but I don't expect much... I wonder if this room had some sort of secret to it." Misea wandered aimlessly about, looking at the pillars, back to the throne... Awfully odd to have a throne here, was there something special about it?

"Hmmm... Mina~?" The wonderful little lilt in Misea's voice could only spell trouble, as they snickered ever so openly. "Would you mind doing me a favor, and sitting your beautiful behind on that throne? I'm very curious about it... That, and I think it suits you. A beautiful woman on a beautiful seat... Picturesque."

Catching Sephtis' glance in her direction, Astrid could do little more than give the young man a shrug in response. She didn't have answers any more than the rest of them in this instance... for all intents and purposes, a living elf should have been impossible, yet here she was. 

"We have yet to go downstairs. We found you rather quickly, it cut our further explorations rather short." The Countess replied, watching this Juneau with a curious expression. It certainly was a rare opportunity, to lay eyes on an elf. Anything she could pick up of the girl's mannerisms would be most interesting.

"So, you say there are others, as well? Or at least, were others. Who knows just how long it was you've been down here. If there is a downstairs that you are aware of, it would be best to check it. This whole situation is rather peculiar."

Mina narrowed her eyes a little at this development. Both Misea being unusually cagey, in comparison to their previous mostly forthcoming nature... and then there was also the bizarre request. What games was the knight up to now? They clearly did know something.

Seconds passed in silence, as Wilhelmina pursed her lips in thought. What harm could there possibly be, was the conclusion she finally arrived at. With a bevy of opportunities forgone in the past to actually do her harm if that was truly a hidden intent, she could see no reason why now would suddenly be the time to pull the trigger. At best, this was an embarrassing prank of some kind, that no other observer would be around to witness.

No, childhood fantasies about being a princess had absolutely no sway in the matter. Whyever would you say that.

Striding to the throne and purposefully settling down onto it, the teacher did her best to look regal and imposing, though the forced behavior felt so comical she had to fight to suppress her own slight snickers as she did so.

"Well... There, was. My brother, a few others I knew... I don't know if they're still around, but not running into anyone upstairs... They're either down there, gone, or... Worse." Juneau gulped, looking about at everyone else. Almira was still studying her with intense curiosity, and the blonde next to the vampire, she was... Antsy?

"If we've got a downstairs to explore, I say we do it, then! What could possibly go wrong?"

"Traps, magical runes, monsters, sorcerers..." Juneau certainly knew what this place was up to.

"Yes, and? That's all part of the adventure~"

"... That's..." Are you alright?

Misea could only chuckle to themselves as Mina managed to sit herself upon the throne, approaching casually and giving her a once over. "How nice." Only a moment later they were resting on one knee, a hand across their chest, head hung. "What may this lowly knight do for you, my liege?"

Whether it was the scene, or the words, or simply Mina's sitting on the throne, it began to move, startling Misea to look up. "Don't move!" Luckily, nothing happened to her... The throne slid out of the way to reveal a staircase.

Misea sighed, collecting themselves and standing up. "I had my suspicions, but I wasn't quite expecting this. Shall we? Or shall we return to the group?" The stairs went down only a small bit, a hallway visible at the end, through Misea's eyes and the light off Mina's staff. "I'll keep you safe, no matter the danger, if you're still feeling adventurous."

"So there could be other elves around... but our chances aren't that likely. No offense, but you guys are supposed to be older than hunger if you did exist." An unfathomably long time, to be sure. Alex couldn't even begin to guess.

"Since we went all the way here, I don't see no harm in going downstairs that we didn't sign up for already." Alex had no qualms with the option, though she did have one concern. "Should we go grab Misea and Mina? Don't think it's a good idea to let them come back and not find us..."

Ohoho? So this was the game they were playing at? Fair enough, if outrageous farce is the order of the day... hmm, how far should she go?

Rocking her shoulders a bit as she adjusted and straightened her posture, Mina did her best to put on a look of suffering disdain as she gazed down upon Misea from on high. Despite the effort to keep a straight face, a slight crook at the corner of her mouth likely gave her away.

"Very well, sir knight, you may begin by... gah!" The teacher had started to slightly raise one leg coincident with the throne beginning to slide backwards, a wholly unexpected development, and the bit of surprised shriek that escaped was most decidedly, less than regal.

Wilhelmina didn't need to be told not to move, pressing herself up against the backrest and freezing in place was the natural state of affairs in a circumstance such as this. When the ride came to a stop, it was unfortunately a little conspicuous when she lowered her leg back down, but there was no avoiding it. In fact, it wasn't even on her mind, which was rather more occupied by a heady release of tension.

After a moment's indulgence passed, she quickly brushed her lap then raised her hand to her chest. Her heart was still beating quite rapidly. "Well, that was certainly... haaah." A sigh, then she pulled her legs back up under the chair as she craned forward a little to get a better look down the stairway passage that had lain hidden beneath the seat's prior location.

Fascinating. Just what else lay in store? Whatever the case, a few ultimately harmless thrills were just what the doctor ordered to take her mind off the previous guilt, hurt, and confusion she'd fallen funk to. Who would stop now?

"R-Right, as I was saying... You may begin by leading the way to the lower dungeons. I was thinking of maybe redecorating, but really ought to freshen my memory before finalizing a decision." Even without the slight stutter at the start, the patently obvious attempt to divert and disguise--to continue from earlier--was paper thin at best. But if they could both share a few laughs about it afterward, so what?

Mikaela noticed the elf's expression towards Almira, not helping the laughter leaving him as he placed his hands against his hips.  "You'd be surprised at how adamant we can be about adventure little lady," he says, directing his attention at Juneau as he smiled brightly at her.  "But yes, I do agree with these two in that we should explore downstairs.  If anything we can protect ourselves from any danger that appears before us, and about Misea and Mina...they can probably guess as to where we've gone, unless someone would like to go and inform them?"

Edited by sweet podado

"Don't look at me, they didn't seem to want my company at all, although I did point them to a fair bit of treasure." Glendwr also didn't want to make the effort to go all the way back after walking all the way over to everyone. He was still definitely interested in the elf girl. The names she mentioned were definitely familiar, but from where?

"Going anywhere without at least checking on Mina and Misea would be foolish. We've wandered around this place split up enough, and if there's any chance of enemies lurking downstairs, we shouldn't leave those two on their own. Misea may be strong, but even they are not unbeatable." Seph didn't like how willing people were to just let their group members wander off. Especially now that they knew there was potential danger. It was one thing when he and Almira had stayed outside. There was no danger there. But this... Well, it made no sense to not at least try and let the two know what was going on.

"I agree. We go and fetch those two, and then we continue on as a group. Splitting up to explore is one thing, but this place is becoming more and more perilous with each added word. Glendwr, you were with them earlier before coming back to meet us, were you not? Where might they have gone, on that side of the ruin?" Astrid reasoned, standing up and stretching as she began to walk towards the Eastern side of the odd cavern, where Mina and Misea had gone off to. Honestly, why wander alone now, of all times?

"Then... We should probably go grab them, and head downstairs, right?" Almira was poking at their direction, getting herself up proper and dusting off her clothes. "Astrid, you're probably the fastest, do you think you could go and get them? And you can see in the dark and all..." It made sense to Almira, even though it was day, Astrid could probably sprint her way around while they all prepared to venture downstairs.

"Capital idea, Almira~ Let's go and see if your friends are out and about, right, Juneau?"

"Yeah! I... Considering how long it seems like it's been, I dunno if we're gonna find anyone, but... If you guys haven't been attacked then, maybe all those nasty mages are gone? That'd be nice..." Juneau hopped over towards the other room, heading towards the stairs. "Oh, and, if any of you have a bow and some arrows, I'd love them."

"The dungeons, my queen? That you would ask for the opinion of someone such as myself, it fills me with joy." Despite their scare with the throne, Misea was back in character, playing into Mina's less confident voice. "Please follow me, that I may keep you safe from whatever ruffians we have locked up down there." Without a worry or a fear, Misea stepped down the new staircase, leading Mina along, as the gentle glow of her staff disappeared into the new hall with them...

Their adventure didn't take long, as an empty room opened up before them... Empty save for two chests.

Hopa08G.png

"Well... Lovely dungeon we have, here," Misea began, breaking character just a tad. "If you would allow me, I would like to search for traps. Should anything befall you in my care, I... Well, I don't think I'd be able to bear it. For my beautiful queen to be injured, the thought breaks my heart."

"Over there then? Very well, I shall go and fetch them." The Countess noted, beginning to head in the opposite direction to her earlier escapades at a reasonably brisk pace. It was more of the same on this side to begin with, empty treasure chests, damp and dank walls... speaking of walls, the telltale break didn't take particularly long to find, Astrid sticking her head into the hole, pausing for a moment...

"Perhaps not all the same after all..." She noted to herself, whistling slightly as she entered the freshly opened chamber. Set in the centre was a rather ornate throne, which clearly held a secret beneath... after all, that secret was still out in the open, having been already exposed.

"My my, what have we here? I do wonder if you've found something as amazing as we have, down here..."

"Bow and arrows? Hmmm, I don't think we have any on us at the moment unfortunately," he tells the other with a soft sigh and a shake of his head.  "However, you needn't worry about protecting yourself at the moment.  You're surrounded in good company miss, but rest assured we'll get you good weapons once we can find some," he explains, before watching Astrid go on to look for the other two.