GameXplain's Three Houses analysis

While its a bit too soon to say anything for sure the Avatar being there does heavily imply romance is going to return. Its one of the defining features of the Avatar concept and the dating sim aspects brought in a lot more fans. So far I'd say its the absence of Avatar romance that's the stranger assumption to make. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:58 PM, thecrimsonflash said:

at 6:10, no it is not almost certainly tiki, her clothes are completely different, and given the lore established in shadow dragon and awakening, tiki being here  is implausible, her hair is way more messy and curly and significantly longer (tiki's hair when up, only reaches about mid back, this girl's hair seems to hit closer to butt length), which doesn't help the argument, I just think that instantly going to "it may be tiki", is very lazy and ignores the major differences between the two, she looks more like nowi when you factor in her hair as well.

at 13:45, that is a massive logic leap to instantly assume that the presence of an avatar means that romance is confirmed, even if it is there, it is, much like assuming our dragon girl is tiki, lazy to jump to such conclusions, off of what is very little information.

nothing worth commenting on after that, so my final thoughts. I really don't want to come across as a gatekeeper or anything, but he really doesn't sound like a fire emblem fan, he seems like he is getting some things very notably wrong and it just feels like he missed some details, I only just now noticed vantage showing up on the battle screen and missing that in your analysis seems like you are not the bets at this, a lot of the things noted feel like they were made easy for anyone who hasn't even played a fire emblem to digest. 

A true fire emblem fan would have instantly said it is literally the worst thing ever after just the map was shown

1.) Lol- I mean it's no surprise that the dragon girl is reminiscent of Tiki, but what would she be doing on a completely different continent at the time? Unless Fodlan is established to be in the same world as Archanea, this idea just seems funny to me. Plus, the giveaway that's it's not Tiki is her attire- that's not her color palette and the headpiece is wayyy too different.

2.) I will agree it is quite an assumption assume some sort of romance system is back. However, in his defense, every FE has romance in it. In some cases, it's more prevalent than others, but romance has always been a thing in FE. However, he is more likely alluding to the "modern" romance system, which I will agree can be a bit of a stretch at this point mainly because it is unclear whether Blythe is a MU or not (I think so). 

3.) I'm not quite sure how deep his love for the series is (if there's any love), but he probably had to have been pumping analyses after analyses due to all of the new info that has come in from E3. He may have been just burnt out at the point of making that video.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:03 PM, Armagon said:

Yeah, he definitely got some things wrong but considering that he's played every officially released FE with the exception of Shadow Dragon, i'd definitely say he's a fan.

Did he play them because he had to for reviews or was it because he wanted to? Then again, I'm trying not to sound like a gatekeeper and this could've easily been a case where we was just simply burnt out due to all of the content he had to release lately.

But tbh, if people wanted really in-depth analyses of FE related content, GameXplain wouldn't be the first I would go to anyways. There's a spew of small FE channels that just focus on FE anyways.

On 6/18/2018 at 8:58 PM, thecrimsonflash said:

at 6:10, no it is not almost certainly tiki, her clothes are completely different, and given the lore established in shadow dragon and awakening, tiki being here  is implausible, her hair is way more messy and curly and significantly longer (tiki's hair when up, only reaches about mid back, this girl's hair seems to hit closer to butt length), which doesn't help the argument, I just think that instantly going to "it may be tiki", is very lazy and ignores the major differences between the two, she looks more like nowi when you factor in her hair as well.

That was the big thing for me. Every playable Manakete (except for... older Tiki) has been a young girl. To assume this Manakete is "almost certainly" Tiki was a huge leap of logic (there were several made in the analysis, but this one was the big one for me). She doesn't even look like Tiki aside from age. and if IS does make her Tiki again in a different continent and storyline and try to explain why she looks so different I'll scream that's so lame

I usually love GX's analysis videos, including Derrick's FE ones (I know he doesn't get any help from the rest of the team) so I was really surprised at how much he seemed to drop the ball here. He's clearly excited, so that's nice, but it doesn't seem like he took as much time and care with this one as previous ones? And he got a little too into making leaps of logic and theorizing too far beyond what was actually shown, which goes from analysis to something else entirely. But the Tiki thing... I just don't see how anyone could get that unless they only know about one Manakete girl (which Derrick clearly knows more about, he's clearly played Sacred Stones). 

5 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Did he play them because he had to for reviews or was it because he wanted to?

As mentioned before, while he does review them, he also streams them and he specifically does Iron Man runs in said streams.

11 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

He's usually the one reviewing them but he also tends to stream the games on his own, starting with 7 and moving on from there. 

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

As mentioned before, while he does review them, he also streams them and he specifically does Iron Man runs in said streams.

Alright thanks guys. I may have to look into his gameplay.

On 6/18/2018 at 10:36 PM, Lynsanity said:

The only assertion that bothered me was the art style being "akin to Shadows of Valentia". Huhhh? I'm not even someone who was against this art direction that much (at least not the 2D assets), but it definitely doesn't look like SoV.

Actually, I'd argue that it is "akin" to SoV. Especially compared to the latest 3 entires (Awakening, Fates, SoV), this art style is definitely closest to SoV. Clearly it's a different art style overall (I mean look at the eyes), but that was also the vibe I got from the (limited) artwork. That they were closer to SoV in art direction this time around (which I personally love because I loved SoV art style and so far I love this art style as well).

But I've seen it mentioned in several places that on initial impression it definitely feels closer to SoV art-style wise. I also think it was purposeful because it feels like a natural progression of SoV.

Well, technically Awakening Tiki does have different bangs from her previous designs (in addition to being an adult and having a smaller tiara - this new girl's tiara seems even closer to Tiki's original one than Awakening's), so, that could be a redesigned Tiki. Although, yes, declaring that it's almost certainly her seems like a mistake.

Looking back, I guess the one point in favor of it is that the Goddess doesn't seem to be a Manakete or have green hair, so that dragon girl basically doesn't seem to be mentioned in the narration in spite of the splash image. That could point to her being a guest character of sorts rather than tied to the mythology of that continent.

Edited by NeonZ

Spoiler

Here's a GameXplain discussion on the game. Don't think anything they say in the video hasn't been said before, but for anyone that may want to watch it, here you go.

4 hours ago, Affinity said:
  Hide contents

Here's a GameXplain discussion on the game. Don't think anything they say in the video hasn't been said before, but for anyone that may want to watch it, here you go.

They really need to bring in someone else for these FE discussions, like Mangs or BlazingKnight or something. This Rogersbase guy didn't add anything of substance.

While I definitely agree that it's jumping to conclusions to say the dragon girl is Tiki, it's not a major issue, the resemblance is clear and likely intentional. Plus, what is really preventing her from being Tiki? Aren't there 2,000 years unaccounted for post-Mystery of the Emblem and pre-Awakening? Or is there some lore there I'm missing?

On 6/23/2018 at 3:42 AM, TadpoleSuperHero said:

Every playable Manakete (except for... older Tiki) has been a young girl.

Bantu's over there, crying in a corner.

On 6/18/2018 at 5:30 PM, The DanMan said:

Oh boy, are they going to steal translations from other people again?

Is there anything here worthwhile that Vincent's topics/analysis didn't already cover?

Probably not, this is GameXplain after all, gotta talk endlessly about nothing and still get details wrong.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

Bantu's over there, crying in a corner.

Poor Bantu... Old little guy never even got a chance....  Bantu, also known as the Forgotton one...

6 hours ago, Florete said:

While I definitely agree that it's jumping to conclusions to say the dragon girl is Tiki, it's not a major issue, the resemblance is clear and likely intentional. Plus, what is really preventing her from being Tiki? Aren't there 2,000 years unaccounted for post-Mystery of the Emblem and pre-Awakening? Or is there some lore there I'm missing?

There's no definitive evidence that it's not Tiki, but the reverse is also true. I think the major point of contest is people assuming that it's definitely Tiki, when it's at best a "maybe" right now.

True, there are 2000 years unaccounted for, but since Tiki was in Valm/Valentia during Awakening, it's likely she didn't venture too far away. Whereas Fodlan looks to be a new continent and perhaps even a new world. I suppose she could've passed through an Outrealm Gate or simply traveled, but we'll just have to wait and see ^^

I won't disagree that the resemblance is almost definitely intentional. You don't just go showing off a sleeping green-haired Manakete girl without good reason. Personally I'm wondering if it's not Tiki, but her mother Naga instead. Before she was famous for saving the world. That's a big "what if" though!

14 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

They really need to bring in someone else for these FE discussions, like Mangs or BlazingKnight or something. This Rogersbase guy didn't add anything of substance.

He's only played the 3DS games, to my knowledge. 

Honestly, the only decent active community member is Rey, who has the little issue of a full time job and life. 

Edited by The DanMan

15 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

Christ RogersBase needs to understand that FE is more than waifus, almost everything which he talked about in that discussion had to do with either waifus; face petting or kid units. 

On 6/23/2018 at 6:50 PM, Sunsurge said:

Actually, I'd argue that it is "akin" to SoV. Especially compared to the latest 3 entires (Awakening, Fates, SoV), this art style is definitely closest to SoV. Clearly it's a different art style overall (I mean look at the eyes), but that was also the vibe I got from the (limited) artwork. That they were closer to SoV in art direction this time around (which I personally love because I loved SoV art style and so far I love this art style as well).

But I've seen it mentioned in several places that on initial impression it definitely feels closer to SoV art-style wise. I also think it was purposeful because it feels like a natural progression of SoV.

Sorry, but I see no resemblance between the two. Compare:

Spoiler

kLfg6al.jpg

Everything about this is made to resemble more traditional media. Thick lines. Realistic textures on armor and fabric. That more wobbly, brush-like linework on the face. Cast shadows even across anime features. Lots of highlights. That "paper" texture over everything. VS:

Spoiler

Fire-Emblem-Three-Houses_Dimitri.png

Everything here is made to look flatter and more like animation. Thinner, darker lines. Fewer highlights. No textures. Simplified shadows (even complex forms like the cape folds are just 2 tones). Some gradients even. It's not trying to look like anything besides digital art.

I'm not trying to say one is better even though it's SoV, SoV IS BETTER, just that there was a clear shift to more painterly art direction in Echoes, and that's shifted back to portraits in 3H that could have come from Awakening or Fates, except their eyes are different. And again I'm only really comparing the 2D assets, it's possible people are seeing something Echoes-like elsewhere in the game, or in the pre-rendered cutscenes. I thought the in-game battle scenes looked really drab, but the Byleth model running around the castle made it clear there's some interesting shaders going on.

I usually like Gamexplain as a casual news/speculation page but when it comes to FE Derrick is like the only one who knows what he's talking about and he's pretty new to the fanbase so yeah, he still gets stuff wrong. Still good to have them give the game some attention since they're pretty influential.

Side note, I really hate how any female character gets instantly labelled a waifu now. It's pretty damn demeaning that that's all people care about or look for. Especially when nothing about Edelgard hints at fanservice. How about hoping she's a good character and speculating about that instead of whether she can marry your avatar? Ugh.

11 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Honestly, the only decent active community member is Rey, who has the little issue of a full time job and life. 

Explain the first part of this sentence.

1 hour ago, Book Bro said:

I usually like Gamexplain as a casual news/speculation page but when it comes to FE Derrick is like the only one who knows what he's talking about and he's pretty new to the fanbase so yeah, he still gets stuff wrong. Still good to have them give the game some attention since they're pretty influential.

Side note, I really hate how any female character gets instantly labelled a waifu now. It's pretty damn demeaning that that's all people care about or look for. Especially when nothing about Edelgard hints at fanservice. How about hoping she's a good character and speculating about that instead of whether she can marry your avatar? Ugh.

Is this a FE thing, or a GameXplain thing?  I know it didn't come up in the Pokemon videos (or I don't remember it).

8 hours ago, Lynsanity said:

Sorry, but I see no resemblance between the two. Compare:

Everything about this is made to resemble more traditional media. Thick lines. Realistic textures on armor and fabric. That more wobbly, brush-like linework on the face. Cast shadows even across anime features. Lots of highlights. That "paper" texture over everything. VS:

Everything here is made to look flatter and more like animation. Thinner, darker lines. Fewer highlights. No textures. Simplified shadows (even complex forms like the cape folds are just 2 tones). Some gradients even. It's not trying to look like anything besides digital art.

I'm not trying to say one is better even though it's SoV, SoV IS BETTER, just that there was a clear shift to more painterly art direction in Echoes, and that's shifted back to portraits in 3H that could have come from Awakening or Fates, except their eyes are different. And again I'm only really comparing the 2D assets, it's possible people are seeing something Echoes-like elsewhere in the game, or in the pre-rendered cutscenes. I thought the in-game battle scenes looked really drab, but the Byleth model running around the castle made it clear there's some interesting shaders going on.

I mean, that actually made me see more a resemblance so idk. Hahaha. I definitely see the CLEAR differences of textures/highlights/literal art style etc. And like I said, I do think they are DIFFERENT, but my first impression without a direct comparison is still that it reminded me first of SoV. Maybe it's the washed out colors of the video/seemingly realistic armor again or just the fact that the character lack that "anime" look of Awakening/Fates and veer more towards "real people" like SoV had. Visually, I see a strong difference, but if I had to compare, I still feel like it falls closer to SoV than the previous entries.

I also do agree SoV is better (at least at first glance so far), but I think this is a nice compromise between Awakening and SoV, but I just feel like it leans more SoV (which imo is a great thing!).

4 hours ago, eclipse said:

Is this a FE thing, or a GameXplain thing?  I know it didn't come up in the Pokemon videos (or I don't remember it).

I have a feeling it's more of a FE thing.

It's not just online, I've found that people are happy to talk about waifus and husbandos at conventions and stuff. Which I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing.

Not to say Pokemon isn't completely free of this; there are waifus like Serena and more recently Lillie. But you just don't usually see discussion of it since the main focus is usually on the Pokemon and the mechanics. Plus (so far), you can't romance any of the characters ^^;

5 hours ago, eclipse said:

Explain the first part of this sentence.

He's really chill and even-keeled, IMO moreso than basically anyone else you could suggest.

9 hours ago, Book Bro said:

Especially when nothing about Edelgard hints at fanservice.

uh...you can also say this about Lucina(and she's one of the most popular FE waifus ever), Micaiah, Celica, Eirika etc list goes on she will obviously be no different. This has ALWAYS been a very popular thing for JP/Otaku culture for Games/Anime series than just FE. If your really THAT bother by a series that is pretty much anime influenced in general I feel really sorry for you well only a little.

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master