GameXplain's Three Houses analysis

7 hours ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

uh...you can also say this about Lucina(and she's one of the most popular FE waifus ever), Micaiah, Celica, Eirika etc list goes on she will obviously be no different. This has ALWAYS been a very popular thing for JP/Otaku culture for Games/Anime series than just FE. If your really THAT bother by a series that is pretty much anime influenced in general I feel really sorry for you well only a little.

Yeah; people can still saw a character in that kind of way despite don't having clearly open spots to the most appealing parts (Micaiah base only really exposes armpits unless you're into leggins and Lucina looks like a prince with that outfit).

Edited by Troykv

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/23/2018 at 2:34 AM, Dandy Druid said:

1.) Lol- I mean it's no surprise that the dragon girl is reminiscent of Tiki, but what would she be doing on a completely different continent at the time? Unless Fodlan is established to be in the same world as Archanea, this idea just seems funny to me. Plus, the giveaway that's it's not Tiki is her attire- that's not her color palette and the headpiece is wayyy too different.

Honestly, I think the trailer is implying Fodlan is part of Archanea-Jugdral universe, if we take a closer look at the dragons and did some elimination

-  Dragon religion, absent in Tellius series, in Tellius dragon is just powerful shape changing beasts.

- "traditional" design of dragon: Western flying dragons with four feet, especially white-silver Divine Dragons with golden horns. Elibe and Fates had very different design of dragons, such as chicken looking Fae, bat winged Myrrh, and deer looking Corrin.

- Traditional design of Divine Dragon Manakete: the Goddess human form shown with green hair and green eyes, dragon tiara, and mural showing her with feathered wings(similar to Tiki), again another tradition from Archaena. Another minor detail is her choice of purple ribbon band tying to her hair, similar to Nagi/Tiki traditional dress.

While some people doubt if the goddess in the mural was the same as the woman on the battlefield, I think they are. Why would they introduce two characters side by side, alternating while narrator explains about their religion? Both characters also wear the same flowers and clothing scheme. And mural was never meant to be a realistic portrait to begin with, in FE3 Naga was depicted as a giant blond man slaying dragons with a sword.

- Falchion looking weapon: The Goddess later was holding sword that bear strong similarity of Falchion, a weapon only created by Naga. With dragon wing guard, red crystal in the hilt, and long fuller.

the only series left then would be Archanea-Jugdral. And I doubt they would decide to create a new series using so many iconic old designs from particular one series.

16 hours ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

uh...you can also say this about Lucina(and she's one of the most popular FE waifus ever), Micaiah, Celica, Eirika etc list goes on she will obviously be no different. This has ALWAYS been a very popular thing for JP/Otaku culture for Games/Anime series than just FE. If your really THAT bother by a series that is pretty much anime influenced in general I feel really sorry for you well only a little.

Lucina is from the first game to make self insert marriage a key feature so it makes sense some people call her a waifu, though that's still reducing her character to "pretty girl" but ok call her that if you want.

Micaiah, Celica, and Eirika, even Lyn, were rarely referred to as "waifus" before circa 2012. Yeah, they had fans who liked them in that way, but my point is the discourse around FE women has changed in recent years. Comments like "hurray new waifu" about Edelgard when we've only seen her portrait and gotten a few lines where she throws plot at us just seems childish to me. Like her defining trait is "pretty girl for me to fantasize about". I expect more from FE so maybe that's why it bothers me. It also doesn't help that it's much rarer to see "hurray new husbando" comments. Feels like female characters are expected to be pandering and fanservice. As someone who's into guys, my main concern regarding Claude and Dimitri isn't "hope I can stroke their faces" so I really don't get this whole side of the fanbase.

37 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Lucina is from the first game to make self insert marriage a key feature so it makes sense some people call her a waifu, though that's still reducing her character to "pretty girl" but ok call her that if you want.

Micaiah, Celica, and Eirika, even Lyn, were rarely referred to as "waifus" before circa 2012. Yeah, they had fans who liked them in that way, but my point is the discourse around FE women has changed in recent years. Comments like "hurray new waifu" about Edelgard when we've only seen her portrait and gotten a few lines where she throws plot at us just seems childish to me. Like her defining trait is "pretty girl for me to fantasize about". I expect more from FE so maybe that's why it bothers me. It also doesn't help that it's much rarer to see "hurray new husbando" comments. Feels like female characters are expected to be pandering and fanservice. As someone who's into guys, my main concern regarding Claude and Dimitri isn't "hope I can stroke their faces" so I really don't get this whole side of the fanbase.

The way people in any fandom treat their female characters is always concerning. The internet gives platform and a voice to huge waifu-fetishists. Ever notice how M!Corrin is called a pussy and a boring character, but F!Corrin is hailed as a waifu? They're the same exact character, but when its a girl who behaves in Corrin's way, its "attractive". Its really depressing. I'm someone who gets really passionate about certain characters, so I can understand falling in love with one, but the way some people treat their "waifs" is abhorrent. 
I agree that Edelgard is attractive but I'm confused, too, over how people can waif her so quickly. We don't know shit about her and can only make assumptions, and having so many people immediately put her on a pedestal is concerning. Though I suppose this might sound hypocritical as I was instantly smitten with Niles all the way back when he got leaked.. but I honestly really lucked out with my early investment. Niles easily could've been a character I actually hated. 

Unfortunately, waifus sell. There's a whole subgenre in anime dedicated specifically to making waifus for people to go nuts over. An argument could be made that that's all modern anime is, but I digress. 

5 hours ago, Book Bro said:

I've noticed this myself. People are always going to be attracted to pretty females but since Awakening introduced shipping with a player-insert character, many identify characters first as lust objects and second as characters. I can't really blame the fanbase entirely, as IS themselves encouraged this, but  I hope we can get away from referring to characters in such a shallow manner.

Bolded Maybe less around here but if you frequent the Heroes community on Reddit, I do hear a lot of people saying male characters are "daddy" or talk about crotch bulges as soon as character designs come out.

5 hours ago, nyainou said:

The way people in any fandom treat their female characters is always concerning. The internet gives platform and a voice to huge waifu-fetishists. Ever notice how M!Corrin is called a pussy and a boring character, but F!Corrin is hailed as a waifu? They're the same exact character, but when its a girl who behaves in Corrin's way, its "attractive". Its really depressing. I'm someone who gets really passionate about certain characters, so I can understand falling in love with one, but the way some people treat their "waifs" is abhorrent.

I think there is a bit of a divide on how characters are looked at. Physically, a lot of people like F!Corrin more, but I haven't (at least not recently) heard people say that her character in the story is more agreeable.

Edited by NekoKnight

14 hours ago, Book Bro said:

I arrived too late to the FE Fandom (2010?) to know about a Pre-Awakening fandom outside of... people always liking the Hector's kind (which still happens hahaha).

And considering I have always (in my times as a more casual FE Player) have prefered Females even before the "Waifu Culture" invaded FE... Well... The change of fandom didn't really affect me (at least not in a meanigful way) xDU.

Edited by Troykv

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:29 PM, Timlugia said:

Honestly, I think the trailer is implying Fodlan is part of Archanea-Jugdral universe, if we take a closer look at the dragons and did some elimination

-  Dragon religion, absent in Tellius series, in Tellius dragon is just powerful shape changing beasts.

- "traditional" design of dragon: Western flying dragons with four feet, especially white-silver Divine Dragons with golden horns. Elibe and Fates had very different design of dragons, such as chicken looking Fae, bat winged Myrrh, and deer looking Corrin.

- Traditional design of Divine Dragon Manakete: the Goddess human form shown with green hair and green eyes, dragon tiara, and mural showing her with feathered wings(similar to Tiki), again another tradition from Archaena. Another minor detail is her choice of purple ribbon band tying to her hair, similar to Nagi/Tiki traditional dress.

While some people doubt if the goddess in the mural was the same as the woman on the battlefield, I think they are. Why would they introduce two characters side by side, alternating while narrator explains about their religion? Both characters also wear the same flowers and clothing scheme. And mural was never meant to be a realistic portrait to begin with, in FE3 Naga was depicted as a giant blond man slaying dragons with a sword.

- Falchion looking weapon: The Goddess later was holding sword that bear strong similarity of Falchion, a weapon only created by Naga. With dragon wing guard, red crystal in the hilt, and long fuller.

the only series left then would be Archanea-Jugdral. And I doubt they would decide to create a new series using so many iconic old designs from particular one series.

That's a good guess to it being in the same world. However, it still wouldn't make much sense for the dragon girl to be Tiki.

This is just my opinion, the sword doesn't have much resemblance to the Falchion. It looks like some sort of whip sword and it juts out from the sides, making it a rather unique looking blade. 

This could be an example of the developers of IS simply making a reference.

On 6/28/2018 at 12:14 PM, Dandy Druid said:

That's a good guess to it being in the same world. However, it still wouldn't make much sense for the dragon girl to be Tiki.

This is just my opinion, the sword doesn't have much resemblance to the Falchion. It looks like some sort of whip sword and it juts out from the sides, making it a rather unique looking blade. 

This could be an example of the developers of IS simply making a reference.

I pretty much think they're more homages than anything else. Fire Emblem has reused plenty of tropes over the years and the idea of Three Houses having its own "dragon sword" and "dragon girl" doesn't surprise me in the least. 

Edited by Sentinel07

On 27-6-2018 at 7:34 AM, nyainou said:

The internet gives platform and a voice to huge waifu-fetishists. Ever notice how M!Corrin is called a pussy and a boring character, but F!Corrin is hailed as a waifu? They're the same exact character, but when its a girl who behaves in Corrin's way, its "attractive". Its really depressing. I'm someone who gets really passionate about certain characters, so I can understand falling in love with one, but the way some people treat their "waifs" is abhorrent. 

Just out of interest, is this universal between both male and female members of the fandom.

Because I can understand guys finding the meek, naive prettyboy Corrin to be a pussy but I can also imagine that female fans might like Corrin because of those reasons. He's a naive prettyboy hero who also caters to feet fetishes considering he's always barefoot. That should theoretically give him some fangirls right? 

On 27-6-2018 at 6:50 AM, Book Bro said:

It also doesn't help that it's much rarer to see "hurray new husbando" comments. Feels like female characters are expected to be pandering and fanservice. As someone who's into guys, my main concern regarding Claude and Dimitri isn't "hope I can stroke their faces" so I really don't get this whole side of the fanbase.

Gushing over husbandos indeed isn't as common as with waifus but I don't think its very rare either. I remember Leo and Takumi immediately getting singled out as future husbandos(And I feel they were designed with this in mind) and Leo's little incest crush on Camilla turned his fangirls a little nasty because they were so crazy about Leo as their husbando. 

On 27/06/2018 at 1:50 AM, Book Bro said:

"Waifu" wasn't really a common term before that point. The term explodes exactly around 2012/2013 for the internet in general, not just FE fandom.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=waifu

Edited by NeonZ

21 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Just out of interest, is this universal between both male and female members of the fandom.

Because I can understand guys finding the meek, naive prettyboy Corrin to be a pussy but I can also imagine that female fans might like Corrin because of those reasons. He's a naive prettyboy hero who also caters to feet fetishes considering he's always barefoot. That should theoretically give him some fangirls right? 

I wish I could answer you, but I'm a bi dude who hangs out with fellow gays. I've only got 1 girl friend and she's not even into men, and I haven't spent that much time in the Fates fandom since it released. In fact, I don't think I even have any friends who also like Fire Emblem. I came to my conclusion via the popularity poll that was held way back when. Quote taken from the wiki:

Spoiler

The Female Avatar came in 1st in the Nintendo Official Popularity Poll for females while the Male Avatar came in 5th for males.
The Avatar came 3rd in the character popularity poll issued by Nintendo Dream.
The Female Avatar of Fates is the only Avatar in the series to place first in an official popularity poll.
The Female Avatar came in 5th for females in the Fire Emblem Heroes Choose Your Legends popularity poll. She had 19,599 total votes. The Male Avatar came in 21st place for males and had 7,691 total votes.

I will say the Niles/M!Corrin is very popular and, as expected, a sizable portion of those shippers are female. So you could deduce that M!Corrin himself has some female fans.

I can't speak to the foot fetish thing, etiher. 

On 6/30/2018 at 12:30 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

So, have a girl's perspective.

I like male Corrin because he wears pants.  Female Corrin has pretty hair, but the lack of pants is a deal-breaker.

Also, don't post twice in a row.

3 hours ago, nyainou said:

I will say the Niles/M!Corrin is very popular and, as expected, a sizable portion of those shippers are female. So you could deduce that M!Corrin himself has some female fans.

A lot of those female fans though are mainly there for the yaoi side though rather then Corrin's character himself. I've seen a lot of fan fics that treat Corrin as the uke, or, 'the woman in the relationship', so most of the female fans aren't really there for Corrin, but cause 'Yaoi uwu'.

On 6/29/2018 at 7:28 PM, Sentinel07 said:

I pretty much think they're more homages than anything else. Fire Emblem has reused plenty of tropes over the years and the idea of Three Houses having its own "dragon sword" and "dragon girl" doesn't surprise me in the least. 

If it was just homage/reference, why would it so focus on Archanea though? All the elements we saw were very unique to Archanea series, why not include also very popular Tellius or Fates designs?

28 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

If it was just homage/reference, why would it so focus on Archanea though? All the elements we saw were very unique to Archanea series, why not include also very popular Tellius or Fates designs?

They aren't specific to Archanea as far as we know.  Dragon lolis and magic swords may have started in Archanea but they became common tropes after that. Magvel has no connection to the Archanea games and yet it has similar dragons, a dragon loli and magic swords. What else is new?

16 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

They aren't specific to Archanea as far as we know.  Dragon lolis and magic swords may have started in Archanea but they became common tropes after that. Magvel has no connection to the Archanea games and yet it has similar dragons, a dragon loli and magic swords. What else is new?

If you read my first posts, I already explained this.

Dragon loli isn't unique to Archanea , but dragon girl with green hair, golden flying dragons with four feet, goddess with white wings, with a background of dragon centered monotheism religion all together is unique to Archanea series so far.

Magvel, Tellius, Fate dragons all have very unique designs and settings apart from Archanea

Edited by Timlugia

16 hours ago, Timlugia said:

If you read my first posts, I already explained this.

Dragon loli isn't unique to Archanea , but dragon girl with green hair, golden flying dragons with four feet, goddess with white wings, with a background of dragon centered monotheism religion all together is unique to Archanea series so far.

Magvel, Tellius, Fate dragons all have very unique designs and settings apart from Archanea

Okay, let's break this down. You say the dragons we see in the trailer are Archenea dragons, by which I presume you mean Divine Dragons. If you look at their concept art (which Tiki actually resembles in Warriors), they are golden, bipedal dragons with white fur growing around their chest and collar. These aren't the only divine Dragons, however. We also have Fae (who is likewise a golden, bipedal dragon but with even more fluff) and Nowi/Adult Tiki (who are leafy sea dragons). Let's ignore that divine Dragons don't all look the same, and look at similar dragons elsewhere. Magvel has traditional western, four legged dragons (who are quadrupeds) and Tellius has traditional western, bipedal dragons (even white ones). In summary, not all divine Dragons look alike and there are other traditional western dragons besides the ones we see in Archanea.

I'm not sure what a white winged goddess has to do with Archanea. Naga doesn't have white feather wings like the goddess we see in the Three Houses trailer. Ashera is a monotheistic goddess who has white feathers, however. She could be a dragon herself, or she could be a being dragons served, as Ashera was. The Three Houses Goddess is described as "The mother of all life, the arbiter of every soul". That sounds a lot more like Ashunera/Ashera (a creation goddess who judges human conduct) than it does Naga (who by her own admission isn't a creator, merely making sure dragons play nice with humanity.)

I'll give you the green haired sleeping loli manakete, but what we've seen so far seems to have as much in common with Tellius as it does Archanea. If I had to guess, I'd say they're playing with a new creation myth/deity separate from the other canons.