Special Heroes Coming! Summer's Arrival - June 21, 2018 ~ (VIDEO POSTED)

Coolmanio

9 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

I'm expecting another unequal gender ratio, which doesn't help my reception towards this. I know I'm not the popular demographic, but last year was fine and it's a game that's raking in the profits, not to mention there are many profitable guys who haven't had a seasonal (the most popular comes to mind even though I don't like him that much... he still hasn't had a seasonal).

I agree with you I think I might send feedback again reminding them that there are plenty of female players who would spend money for fan service catered to them.  I think everyone is happy with balanced banners since it pleases everyone and I don't know why they can't stick with that.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I know more guys than girls play this, but even most guys don't just like females, I'm certain. Also, I bet the reason not as many females play is the lack of catering towards them. Maybe add a bit more stuff that they'd be more into and you'll get more female players.

Outside of gacha, men tend to prefer male characters and women tend to prefer female characters. (I can assure you as a male who prefers female characters on average, I'm very much in a minority when hanging out in male circles.) Gacha this may be reversed for, I'm not sure. The decision to do the gender balance they're doing I suspect has more to do with who spends the most money: even if male and female characters are close in popularity overall, the folks who spend thousands of dollars are more likely to do so for females. Or at least, that's my best guess.

That said I find the complaints about the gender balance in slightly poor taste here. Fire Emblem Heroes is very close to gender parity still (I think. Someone who isn't me can run the numbers, I don't know them offhand). It's certainly far closer than every single Fire Emblem from the original to Radiant Dawn, in which men typically had the advantage of 2:1 or more. If FEH's representation bothers you, then I would hope those games bother you more.

Look I'm happy to have summer innes and tana, I really am.

That being said, I'm quite upset with this banner.  Not only does it solidify IS favoring females to males, they just HAD to throw in one awakening and one fates unit.  Not only that, but this is Cordelia's 2nd seasonal.  Now we've had units get multiple seasonals before, but we haven't had them at the cost of a unit from the banner's theme (SS).  So IS pretty much decided that releasing a SECOND seasonal version of an awakening unit is more valuable than releasing a full SS banner.  Kind of insulting.

As someone who has wanted Summer Ephraim and Eirika since like last year (see signature), this banner is a big negative (even though Innes is sweet).  Judging from the awakening/fates favorabillity, it is highly unlikely that Summer Eph and Eirika will ever be released because there probably wont be another summer seasonal SS banner for at least 10 years and this game probably wont last that long.  This wouldn't be such a big problem, if I wasn't sure that they were going to release summer Eph and Eirika w/ Innes and Tana had they decided not to go w/ awakening/fates units.  Like if you're going to favor the newer games fine, but at least give me one freaking SS banner with all the units I'd expect.  Don't give me 1/2 of a banner.

Edited by Lushen

It's too late in this case but if there's any banner leak in the future can it be in a separate thread?

Also about the complaints about certain poses. I do think that action poses (like attacking/injured art) allow some degree of "flexibility" beyond what people think as "anatomically comfortable". Plenty of real life examples out there:

2018-06-18T181144Z_110020494_RC1FC4197370_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER-WORLDCUP-TUN-ENG.jpg.7d05024fbf625efd4a6e28acb4bfa676.jpg

I just came across this pic while looking at my news feed. To be clear though I don't really care about T&A's, I'm more of a kawaii-kei person more than sexy-kei. But all those broken back/spine comments feels wrong to me. 

Tana and Cordelia look gorgeous. Noire looks great as well uncomfortable posing aside. Cordelia having a shell-harpoon as her weapon is a neat nod to her conversation with Robin in the Awakening beach DLC. However, I don't plan on attempting to pull for any of them immediately beyond the first summoning session due to the banner being scheduled to overlap with the 2nd summer 2018 banner. In addition, there's also the LH banners and an upcoming Hector banner.

6 minutes ago, NoblePink said:

It's too late in this case but if there's any banner leak in the future can it be in a separate thread?

Also about the complaints about certain poses. I do think that action poses (like attacking/injured art) allow some degree of "flexibility" beyond what people think as "anatomically comfortable". Plenty of real life examples out there:

2018-06-18T181144Z_110020494_RC1FC4197370_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER-WORLDCUP-TUN-ENG.jpg.7d05024fbf625efd4a6e28acb4bfa676.jpg

I just came across this pic while looking at my news feed. To be clear though I don't really care about T&A's, I'm more of a kawaii-kei person more than sexy-kei. But all those broken back/spine comments feels wrong to me. 

I mean there is a difference between flexibility caught on camera by accident and poses that are deliberately drawn to show off a character's bust and rear despite being impractical or uncomfortable for real life.

As for the banner itself, I think I'll pull for Tana. I'm on the fence for Noire (her art is a bit off putting for me), but I'll wait to decide until we get stats and skills.

30 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, my feelings exactly. This is one of the reasons I've begun losing interest in this game. The equal gender ratio was fine last year and still made quite a lot of money and there are some profitable guys out there that haven't gotten seasonals like Ike as you implied.

The fact that Hector, Roy, and Chrom all got seasonals before him kind of baffles me even. If they can get seasonals, why can't Ike? Roy even also has a CYL like Ike does, and Hector will be getting one too. And Chrom got a normal alt to go along with his two seasonals.

I know more guys than girls play this, but even most guys don't just like females, I'm certain. Also, I bet the reason not as many females play is the lack of catering towards them. Maybe add a bit more stuff that they'd be more into and you'll get more female players.

I don't mind that they got one before him, and I don't mind that not so popular characters get seasonals, but their lack of pushing him baffles me. Honestly, it's made me really start to dislike Lyn and become less lukewarm towards him (not to mention he saved me from having a Winter Tharja forced on me, even if people say the votes were rigged).

Honestly, this new trend has been turning me off the game more. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact it is Fire Emblem and we are still getting characters I like (despite the boom in alts), I would have stopped supporting it long ago. As it is, I've reduced my feedback rating. Petty, maybe, but honestly, it's really leaving a sour taste in my mouth at a game that I've been promoting like crazy amongst everyone I know -.-

Maybe I should stop doing that, too, but the core gameplay is there still... but the characters are the most important thing to me and they seem to have tailed off on them to me (I know, people will probably come along and argue otherwise, but that's the way I feel with all the alts and the gender imbalance with mages, seasonals and TTs/GHBs - lack of merging and ivs keeping guys held back, even if I use them anyway where I can).

@EricaofRenais

Because they want to grind out every last little bit of profit that they can and who really cares about female fans in the long run when the male ones provide the most money...

Same reason they can shove boobs and butt in our face in a Fire Emblem cutscene. They didn't really care how anyone other than fans of that sort of fanservice will react.

Edited by Cute Chao

12 minutes ago, Lushen said:

they just HAD to throw in one awakening and one fates unit

Unless you twist like Noire’s spine and claim it is Caeldori rather than Cordelia, there are two characters from Awakening on the banner.

Just now, NoblePink said:

It's coming home la'

5 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

Unless you twist like Noire’s spine and claim it is Caeldori rather than Cordelia, there are two characters from Awakening on the banner.

Oh right lol.  I dont know why I thought Tharja and Noire were from fates for a split second.  Haven't played too much of either game.

Guess that means 2 fates characters are going to be in the next banner.

Edited by Lushen

11 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Outside of gacha, men tend to prefer male characters and women tend to prefer female characters. (I can assure you as a male who prefers female characters on average, I'm very much in a minority when hanging out in male circles.) Gacha this may be reversed for, I'm not sure. The decision to do the gender balance they're doing I suspect has more to do with who spends the most money: even if male and female characters are close in popularity overall, the folks who spend thousands of dollars are more likely to do so for females. Or at least, that's my best guess.

That said I find the complaints about the gender balance in slightly poor taste here. Fire Emblem Heroes is very close to gender parity still (I think. Someone who isn't me can run the numbers, I don't know them offhand). It's certainly far closer than every single Fire Emblem from the original to Radiant Dawn, in which men typically had the advantage of 2:1 or more. If FEH's representation bothers you, then I would hope those games bother you more.

The reason people are complaining about favouritism towards female characters isn't because of what the female to male ratio is in general but how the seasonal alts favour female characters more. With this banner we've had three seasonal events in a row with three women and one man and Marth wasn't even in the banner. Now, the reasoning behind this is obviously the thing you mentioned previously; men (presumably) spend more money on gachas. So, it's understandable they've been catering towards them more. However, I am worried how this approach will turn people off from the game if they continue this way. I certainly am starting to get a bit tired of this and I know I'm not the only one.

9 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Look I'm happy to have summer innes and tana, I really am.

That being said, I'm quite upset with this banner.  Not only does it solidify IS favoring females to males, they just HAD to throw in one awakening and one fates unit.  Not only that, but this is Cordelia's 2nd seasonal.  Now we've had units get multiple seasonals before, but we haven't had them at the cost of a unit from the banner's theme (SS).  So IS pretty much decided that releasing a SECOND seasonal version of an awakening unit is more valuable than releasing a full SS banner.  Kind of insulting.

As someone who has wanted Summer Ephraim and Eirika since like last year (see signature), this banner is a big negative (even though Innes is sweet).  Judging from the awakening/fates favorabillity, it is highly unlikely that Summer Eph and Eirika will ever be released because there probably wont be another summer seasonal SS banner for at least 10 years and this game probably wont last that long.  This wouldn't be such a big problem, if I wasn't sure that they were going to release summer Eph and Eirika w/ Innes and Tana had they decided not to go w/ awakening/fates units.  Like if you're going to favor the newer games fine, but at least give me one freaking SS banner with all the units I'd expect.  Don't give me 1/2 of a banner.

This isn't an FE8 banner. We've gotten plenty of seasonal banners with two units from one game: Performing Arts, Halloween, and Love Abounds all had 2/2 splits, and the second Spring banner had the same 2/1/1 split as this banner. The only seasonal banners we've ever gotten that had all the characters from one game were last year's summer and winter banners. I think they're done with single-game seasonal banners, and are now going for a mix.

Given that we're getting two summer banners a year, it's likely that we'll get more FE8 summer characters eventually, just not a full banner. And Eirika and Ephraim are certainly top candidates for future FE8 seasonals. But this would have been a terrible time to release more alts of them, it would have just set off the same kind of backlash as characters like Lyn have gotten.

5 hours ago, Othin said:

This isn't an FE8 banner. We've gotten plenty of seasonal banners with two units from one game: Performing Arts, Halloween, and Love Abounds all had 2/2 splits, and the second Spring banner had the same 2/1/1 split as this banner. The only seasonal banners we've ever gotten that had all the characters from one game were last year's summer and winter banners. I think they're done with single-game seasonal banners, and are now going for a mix.

Given that we're getting two summer banners a year, it's likely that we'll get more FE8 summer characters eventually, just not a full banner. And Eirika and Ephraim are certainly top candidates for future FE8 seasonals. But this would have been a terrible time to release more alts of them, it would have just set off the same kind of backlash as characters like Lyn have gotten.

I doubt we'll see another SS Summer unit for the next 10 years.  Remember that when FE16 comes out they'll have a third awakening/fates game to integrate into the game.

I get that complaining about how a game isn't going to get more seasonals when they're literally getting more seasonals sounds stupid.  But to me this just means they've fulfilled an obligation to release some SS seasonals and now they're done.

Edited by Lushen

Interesting comments since the reveal got posted in this thread, always fascinating to see how people cope with these situations. Well, there will never be a case where everyone is happy, ey? (I include myself in that statement) - Only one dude is kinda a bummer, tho, cannot deny that. Cordelia is definitely the one who should have been another dude, imo.

Anyways, shame the two upcoming legendary banners (green mostly) and Hector BHB banner are already locking in most of my orbs to be spent on those, because I wouldn't mind a Noire, as I do like her. I'm surprised to see her on the banner considering her character, but they did manage to make her look sickly/frail/hesitant, while keeping the overall theme of "sexiness" typical for these summer banners.

I won't pull much, however I am contemplating on pulling the entire first circle or just going for Red/Colorless. The skills won't matter, really (except random Speed Tactic), a red flier mage would be a new unit type for me (couldn't pull a Nowi, sadness), and Noire is, as mentioned, nice out of personal bias. Green Axe flier and Blue Lance Horse are entirely worthless to me (Also, why do I always dislike Cordelia's art.... on all her iterations? It's her face mostly, I can't quite put my finger on it; oh, and her right shoulder on her idle bridal art).

Interesting also how this got leaked. I'm rather curious on the cause and the consequences, but hey, I'm glad I don't have to wait till tomorrow to see "whether it's Sigurd or Ephraim" (my own guesses after seeing the tease).

I agree with most people that the choice of seasonals is a bit random, especially Noire, who I’ll be pulling.  Is Tana sword or Red Tome? I hoping the latter because I really want a Red tome for my Flier team.

4 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

I agree with most people that the choice of seasonals is a bit random, especially Noire, who I’ll be pulling.  Is Tana sword or Red Tome? I hoping the latter because I really want a Red tome for my Flier team.

Red tome. Unless she's stabbing people with her book.

3 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Seems like she becomes the next flying mage.

Better question, how is a flag considered a green weapon for Innes? Please tell me they don't make him an axe user.

4 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

She's a red tome. Based on what I'm reading, it's a prf fruit-themed tome that grants Spd +3 and, from what it sounds like, some form of Guidance (as it has been described on the FEH subreddit as "reverse Grimoire").

7 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

Seems like she becomes the next flying mage.

Better question, how is a flag considered a green weapon for Innes? Please tell me they don't make him an axe user.

The banner shows a green orb, so it's probably like the Lilith floatie. They seem high averse to giving male fliers any kind of variation, although this will at least be our first summonable male axe flier...

Edited by Cute Chao

25 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

I don't mind that they got one before him, and I don't mind that not so popular characters get seasonals, but their lack of pushing him baffles me. Honestly, it's made me really start to dislike Lyn and become less lukewarm towards him (not to mention he saved me from having a Winter Tharja forced on me, even if people say the votes were rigged).

Honestly, this new trend has been turning me off the game more. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact it is Fire Emblem and we are still getting characters I like (despite the boom in alts), I would have stopped supporting it long ago. As it is, I've reduced my feedback rating. Petty, maybe, but honestly, it's really leaving a sour taste in my mouth at a game that I've been promoting like crazy amongst everyone I know -.-

Maybe I should stop doing that, too, but the core gameplay is there still... but the characters are the most important thing to me and they seem to have tailed off on them to me (I know, people will probably come along and argue otherwise, but that's the way I feel with all the alts and the gender imbalance with mages, seasonals and TTs/GHBs - lack of merging and ivs keeping guys held back, even if I use them anyway where I can).

Yeah, I don't get why they don't push Ike a bit more like they have with Lyn. Though I don't want him to be pushed the way she has exactly since it's caused her to get backlash. I wouldn't want Ike to get that since I care about him. I'd hate for people to start disliking him because he's being shoved down our throats.

Yeah, the only reason I still play is that there still is a banner I like on occasion that I'd dump orbs on.

Like, Summer Freddy is returning soon too since they rerun all previous seasonal banners alongside new ones during the correct time of year too. I just lament that he seems to always be doomed to share a color because of legendary banners and Summer Gaius...

And the upcoming Luna banner is practically guaranteed to have regular Freddy too, and that means a somewhat increased chance of me finally getting those +Def, -Res IVs I want...

But even with this I'm still left with a sour taste in my mouth like you because these aren't cool new characters for me. I love Frederick to pieces, but I'd dig it even more if there was an interesting cool new peep for me to go after too. I really had my hopes for a Summer Ike, though he could be on the second summer banner.

Edited by Anacybele

I think I'm less of a fan of Noire's outfit than her pose. What is that thing on her leg?  

Still getting her though. She and Cynthia have been on the top of my list for the longest time together with the Laguz royals.