With Ridleys confirmation. (Newcomer theories)

Jedi

Do you guys feel we'll be getting the largely requested characters besides Ridley or do you think this was just a nod and it'll be mostly newer games still?

Maybe a mixture of both? We already know we're not getting many newcomers so I'm kinda curious what others think.

I think Ridley was just a nod. We might get some highly requested characters but the fact that Waluigi and Lyn have been confirmed as Assists makes me think that most of the newcomers will be from newer games+a new retro character in the same vein as the Ice Climbers, Game&Watch, R.O.B and Duck Hunt.

I'm mostly expecting 3rd parties + more highly requested characters. It's a bit weird thinking none of my most wanted have a shot anymore, but that's what I'm expecting right now.

With how much fanservice there's been already (deliberately altering the gameplay to encourage more offensive playstyles, Battlefield modes for stages and hazard toggles, Ridley and Daisy), I'm expecting that trend to continue.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I think Ridley was just a nod. We might get some highly requested characters but the fact that Waluigi and Lyn have been confirmed as Assists makes me think that most of the newcomers will be from newer games+a new retro character in the same vein as the Ice Climbers, Game&Watch, R.O.B and Duck Hunt.

I saw a number of K.Rool fans are excited about Ridley because they see it as their chance too, I can only wonder if those dedicated Geno and Lloyd fans are hopeful again as well.

2 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I saw a number of K.Rool fans are excited about Ridley because they see it as their chance too, I can only wonder if those dedicated Geno and Lloyd fans are hopeful again as well.

K.Rool's another one on the list I wouldn't be shocked at seeing make in.

...Heck, what if a lot of the newcomers come from the DLC Mii costumes? K. Rool, Heihachi, Lloyd, Geno, Monster Hunter...

There are some things which could be. I don't know if Shadow assist Trophy has been confirmed. He could be an echo character of Sonic.
And I also have little hope that Hilda could be an echo character of Zelda.. 

K.K.Rool would be a huge thing. If there is one or two things I don't like about the new donkey Kong games, these would be the world design and that there are no memorable new antagonists. 

But I try not to get my hope too high up. And I expect some to be dlc's which will come later.

2 hours ago, The DanMan said:

...Heck, what if a lot of the newcomers come from the DLC Mii costumes? K. Rool, Heihachi, Lloyd, Geno, Monster Hunter...

I'd totally play as Black Knight! Though I don't really like the idea of another Tellius FE rep when we could get Ephraim from FE8 or one of the Three Houses protags as DLC instead.

Ridley's addition makes me hope for Dixie Kong, honestly.

Ridley has the double duty of being a nod and actually being one of the only other Metroid franchise characters with a regular, reoccurring role. We have two Samus's because there really isn't another viable fighter from the franchise.

I think Shadow is on the way. He would be easy to put in as an Echo, and Knuckles was shown as a new assist for Sonic instead. (Sonic Mania Plus is out in less than a month, so an announcement near a new Sonic release would be good for both companies. Also Space Colony ARK stage.)

I thought of Octolings as an Inkling Echo, too, but 16 ink colors. Splatoon already handles the multitudes of combinations by limiting everything to strongly contrasting colors and having a color lock option for players with various kinds of color blindness. Can't do that with the way Smash5 is handling ink colors other than manually selecting costumes everyone playing can comfortably see. 

I've noticed partical effects are way simpler and clearer in this game than 4 or Brawl, so it looks like making things easy to read on the screen was considered.

Anyway, I want more third party fighters, too. I keep asking for Tails, and I've seen a lot of love and requests for a Rhythm Heaven themed fighter. I think hitting up fighters from other big, storied franchises would be the way to go, like Dragon Quest. 

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I'd totally play as Black Knight! Though I don't really like the idea of another Tellius FE rep when we could get Ephraim from FE8 or one of the Three Houses protags as DLC instead.

Ridley's addition makes me hope for Dixie Kong, honestly.

'Tis a fair point. Though honestly, I would gladly take Black Knight as an Echo Fighter of Ike. As long as he has a Zelgius alt, then I will main him and wreck everything! Didn't I say this exact thing about FEW?

I'd like to see Ubisoft throw a rep in there, Rayman being the best candidate. He kind of deserves it after being the character that jumpstarted the impressive "Smashified" series. And Ubisoft were on board when they saw that, weren't they?

12 minutes ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

'Tis a fair point. Though honestly, I would gladly take Black Knight as an Echo Fighter of Ike. As long as he has a Zelgius alt, then I will main him and wreck everything! Didn't I say this exact thing about FEW?

Yeah, BK would be a way cooler echo of Ike than boring Chrom anyway! It would also make a lot more sense because Ike and BK were trained by the same guy. Chrom wasn't. Zelgius alt would be nice too, despite that it's a spoiler. Hasn't stopped them from putting other spoilers in the game though, since Lucina is a walking spoiler herself. lol

1 hour ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

I'd like to see Ubisoft throw a rep in there, Rayman being the best candidate. He kind of deserves it after being the character that jumpstarted the impressive "Smashified" series. And Ubisoft were on board when they saw that, weren't they?

Rayman deserves to be in Smash. Don't tell me Bomberman is the only -Man showing up in a meaningful format. And while we're talking Ubisoft reps, Sam Fisher Echo Fighter for Snake please.

I'm happy to at least see Krystal as an Assist Trophy (in her Adventures outfit no less!), though I dream of the day she makes it to the playable roster. I'm also holding a small amount of hope for Shantae, though at this point she seems more likely to get stuck with AT for Ultimate as well.

Edited by Lord_Brand

To be perfectly honest I don't think we'll see many more true newcomers.   Some echos here and there yes but I have a feeling the whole revealing all characters ever being in this Smash was kinda the big thing for this one.

9 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

To be perfectly honest I don't think we'll see many more true newcomers.   Some echos here and there yes but I have a feeling the whole revealing all characters ever being in this Smash was kinda the big thing for this one.

They already explicitly said there wouldn't be as many newcomers this time around, so yeah this is the logical stance.