My predictions for the inevitable FE tropes in this game

Someone (probably Claude) is going to comment on Edelgard's small breasts, which will make her flustered.

Jokes aside, I'm hoping the story and cast will be less anime tropey.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/19/2018 at 1:15 PM, B.Leu said:

Also Tsundere are errors of nature and shouldn't exist, Yandere are better written than them. That's how stupid tsunderes are.

Someone has shit taste. 

Jokes aside, I feel like I have to agree that most of the recurring archetypes are a given. I don't know why anyone would think Claude and Dimitri would be the Cain/Abel pair though since they're already lords. I wonder whether each of them will get their own Cain and Abel like with Alm and Celica or if there's only going to be one pair? Probably only one pair if they're going the FE7 route like I think/hope. 

I'm predicting some teacher/student romance tropes involving Byleth and Edelbarn, probably a bit with the other two lords too if he really is an avatar character and can be female, but mostly Edelbarn due to the way she talks to him, especially at the end.

There's going to be at least three pegasus knights who may or may not be sisters, but if they are we might be seeing the triangle attack again. Though maybe not, I don't know how that'll work with the new formation system.

I would say blue hair but I feel that it's been a while since we had blue haired protagonist (mainly due to the lack of blue hair in fates and SoV).

And the three houses trailer was very lacking in that classic blue marth (TM) dye. I guess for my three houses avatar, I will make their hair blue. 

On 6/19/2018 at 1:15 PM, B.Leu said:

Also Tsundere are errors of nature and shouldn't exist, Yandere are better written than them. That's how stupid tsunderes are.

Which version? The Asuka expies like Severa, or the ones more like Lethe?

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Church of Seiros or whatever winds up being corrupt.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia
Damn autocorrect

49 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Church of Seiros or whatever winds up being corrupt.

Pretty much this. I'm curious to how they will go about it though.

3 hours ago, SerCaladran said:

Which version? The Asuka expies like Severa, or the ones more like Lethe?

Dude, don't compare Asuka to Severa pls. That's bad, that's super bad. You don't. Asuka, good character in a good show, Severa, bad character 100% gimmick in a bad show... I mean game.
Well Evangelion is not exactly perfect, and I'm not entirely fine with everything but shhh it's good look at it.
Eh, I dunno about Lethe, she is tsundere, but she looks more like cat (gettit?!) that was hurt and chilled in the sequels. In other words, like an actual character instead of an walking archetype, like Severa.

Though you know what ? I now sorta expect a character like Lethe to be there. Echoes didn't have that, they were above that kind of disgusting things, but you'll never know.

12 hours ago, Troublesome Knight said:

Someone has shit taste. 

Someone just destroyed my faith in humanity a little bit more. :p

Speaking of... 'Notice me Teacher Axe Lord Lady' ,I thought she was called Eldegard ? Geez, she had such weird name. That's the kind of name you'd actually expect to be well... modified in the west. It's weird.
That or I'm just dumb. Or I just need time to adjust.

44 minutes ago, B.Leu said:

Dude, don't compare Asuka to Severa pls. That's bad, that's super bad. You don't. Asuka, good character in a good show, Severa, bad character 100% gimmick in a bad show... I mean game.
Well Evangelion is not exactly perfect, and I'm not entirely fine with everything but shhh it's good look at it.
Eh, I dunno about Lethe, she is tsundere, but she looks more like cat (gettit?!) that was hurt and chilled in the sequels. In other words, like an actual character instead of an walking archetype, like Severa.

Ok. Orange/Red haired girl who is highly aggressive, a famously bad attitude, bratty tendencies and somehow manages both a superiority and inferiority complex at the same time that causes her to become extremely reckless? Yeah, Severa's no Asuka expy at all. Nope, they're nothing alike. 

Truth be told, Severa is just Asuka if she weren't a main character who the narrative revolved a significant part around. 

I can name some I'm expecting/predicting:

-a Tsundere I better believe one will likely be in this game.

-a Sultry girl that's VERY intrigue of Byleth.

-Young looking Dragon girl (confirmed)

-Goddess figure (confirmed)

-Student x Teacher romance like someone said (pretty much happening with Byleth and Edelgard the trailer is shipping them hard. Dimitri and Claude is also possible IF Byleth has a female version).

-Cain/Abel duo

-Pegasus trio 

-a clutzy girl

-Old man mentor/Jagen

-Byleth has cryptic origins.(given his name definite possibility)

-the church of Seiros is corrupted within.

-an important characters parent gets killed.

-new Gharnef 

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

1 hour ago, B.Leu said:

Speaking of... 'Notice me Teacher Axe Lord Lady' ,I thought she was called Eldegard ? Geez, she had such weird name. That's the kind of name you'd actually expect to be well... modified in the west. It's weird.
That or I'm just dumb. Or I just need time to adjust.

just call her edgelord and all problems go away

typically the modified names are too japanese for westerners to understand, but this one is german, I believe people were saying, so, I guess we can have fun dealing with that one in the future.

1 hour ago, B.Leu said:

Okay first as @SerCaladran says they are pretty much the same and second off what do you mean Severa is a bad character? That is a notion I cannot agree with. Yes she is a tsundere archetype but IMO she is probably one of the best written tsundere characters I’ve seen in recent memory(barring maki from danganronpa but she’s more of a kuudere if anything). First of all unlike most cliche tsunderes out there Severa actually has an understandable reason for acting the way she does. She’s a girl dealing with an inferiority complex and years worth of emotional trauma caused by the hellscape of an apocalypse she grew up in so yeah her abrasiveness seems somewhat reasonable. Secondly she actually does grow in a lot of her supports like her Laurent  support for instance. it’s just kind of hard to really see cause of the way the support system works. I could go more in depth but we’d be here all day. Also apologies for the rant It’s just something I needed to get off my chest.

anyway to go on topic I expect to see:

Byleth playing a very big role in the story

Psychopathic stalker with big boobs if byleth is indeed an avatar

and considering the past two games in the series had a tsundere both of which are very popular in their respective games(and no Severa is only one of the two tsunderes the other one is takumi) I fully expect to see another one here.

Edited by Otts486

Like I said Evangelion is good show, with good character, characters study, with a plot where everything fall into places. Awakening just have gimmicky characters where nothing holds up.in the plot, You guys give way too much credit to Awakening in pretty much everything.
Point in case, Asuka's tsundereness is deconstructed, as like many things in this show, she have a reason to be like that, and it is fully explored, and that stay with her, because it's a traumatism. And you guys are gonna say 'Like Severa.' No, Severa's case is not fully or correctly explored, none of the characters are either. It's just animefest with every character bent over the animefest, and in her case, her tsundereness. It's like Peri's bloodlust and tragic past, it's bad, badly written and nothing is done with it.

There's a difference between a good characters in a good fiction, and a bad character in a bad fiction. Expy ? Okay. A good one ? Nope.
But eh, different tastes and all, but I really, really can't agree.

8 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

just call her edgelord and all problems go away

typically the modified names are too japanese for westerners to understand, but this one is german, I believe people were saying, so, I guess we can have fun dealing with that one in the future.

Well I did called her Edgelord, and the moment I  thought i got her name right, turns out... nope. Guess I'll stick to that.

12 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

You know, now that I think about it, the opposite wouldn't be surprising too. Both are possible imo.

Edited by B.Leu

On 6/19/2018 at 3:15 PM, B.Leu said:

Too bad most yandere are bland, forgettable or both. The number of yandere I deem worth remembering is one I can count on one hand...

21 hours ago, Otts486 said:

First of all unlike most cliche tsunderes out there Severa actually has an understandable reason for acting the way she does. She’s a girl dealing with an inferiority complex and years worth of emotional trauma caused by the hellscape of an apocalypse she grew up in so yeah her abrasiveness seems somewhat reasonable. Secondly she actually does grow in a lot of her supports like her Laurent  support for instance. it’s just kind of hard to really see cause of the way the support system works. I could go more in depth but we’d be here all day. 

This is a really good take. I hated Severa and wondered how something so nasty could one from perfection like Cordelia. Then I read all of her supports and realized how wrong I was. She really is out here trying her best.

13 hours ago, B.Leu said:

No, Severa's case is not fully or correctly explored, none of the characters are either. It's just animefest with every character bent over the animefest, and in her case, her tsundereness. It's like Peri's bloodlust and tragic past, it's bad, badly written and nothing is done with it.

I dont want to argue about this because it's obvious we are set in different viewpoints but, it's kinda unfair to compare an anime's depth for 4-5 characters to a game's depth of 40+. Obviously, NGE had an advantage with such a small cast with a lot more visual storytelling. Severa's issues are clearly stated in several supports and you can even see the change in character from Awakening to Fates. Granted, some of it is locked behind DLC, but Severa has definitely grown as a person. To compare Severa and her emotional damage to Peri and her issues teeters on the edge of ludicrous.

To the actual topic:

-An enemy character I'll love and get to recruit

-An enemy character I'll love and not get to recruit because 'loyalty,' they'll get betrayed and killed or both

-Dragons

-Poorly written gays

-Evil old men^tm

Edited by Quiyonce

At least one of our three lords will have a younger sister who uses staves. What are we gonna do otherwise, use vulneraries like barbarians or recruit a random stranger?

4 hours ago, B.Leu said:

Like I said Evangelion is good show, with good character, characters study, with a plot where everything fall into places. Awakening just have gimmicky characters where nothing holds up.in the plot, You guys give way too much credit to Awakening in pretty much everything.
Point in case, Asuka's tsundereness is deconstructed, as like many things in this show, she have a reason to be like that, and it is fully explored, and that stay with her, because it's a traumatism. And you guys are gonna say 'Like Severa.' No, Severa's case is not fully or correctly explored, none of the characters are either. It's just animefest with every character bent over the animefest, and in her case, her tsundereness. It's like Peri's bloodlust and tragic past, it's bad, badly written and nothing is done with it.

There's a difference between a good characters in a good fiction, and a bad character in a bad fiction. Expy ? Okay. A good one ? Nope.
But eh, different tastes and all, but I really, really can't agree.

Okay first off I’m not saying that Severa is as well written as asuka or that NGE was bad. Truth be told I have yet to watch NGE(which is something that needs to be corrected immediately) I’m saying that given what I know about each character is that they are very similar.

Secondly, I think you’re misunderstanding what makes a bad character a bad character. Just because a character belongs to a show/game/movie you don’t like or you feel is bad that doesn’t make them bad by default. It’s all in the execution. A bad or cliche character is one that really has no depth, intigue, or understanding. It really all boils down to if a character can answer one simple question. “Why does this character act the way that they do?” And the answer to that question pretty much needs to explain almost every aspect of their character from their goals to their personality and even to the way they dress to a small degree. Which is why characters like julius from the asterisk war are terrible cause nothing about her personality and life is explained. FE echoes characters fall into the same boat. There is literally nothing beyond their surface level personalities. They’re likable sure but where’s the motivation? Where’s the depth and nuance? Where’s the character agency? All but a few characters in echoes have answers to these and that’s a bad thing. I could go on all day on this topic but I don’t wanna bore anyone so I’ll leave it at that. 

I will agree Severa’s character isn’t as fleshed out as it could be but her character is explored enough to where I feel it is pretty well executed. Through her supports we gain an understanding of who she is and why she is the way she is. She isn’t a great character but I wouldn’t call her a poorly written one. Again I could write an entire analysis on Severa but that’s a topic for another time.

I completely agree with you @Quiyonce

Edited by Otts486

... You say that Echoes characters are nothing but what's on paper, and yet, you are defending Severa from Awakening ? Where characters are exactly just that ? Gimmicks on paper ?

Let's agree to disagree.

10 hours ago, Quiyonce said:

I dont want to argue about this because it's obvious we are set in different viewpoints but, it's kinda unfair to compare an anime's depth for 4-5 characters to a game's depth of 40+. Obviously, NGE had an advantage with such a small catalog with a lot more visual storytelling. Severa's issues are clearly stated in several supports and you can even see the change in character from Awakening to Fates. Granted, some of it is locked behind DLC, but Severa has definitely grown as a person. To compare Severa and her emotional damage to Peri and her issues teeters on the edge of ludicrous.

Yeaaaaaah, not gonna lie, when the ''So Asuka Tsun or Severa Tsun ?' was asked, I kind of took it and run with it. A big error on my part.
I'd say that it's you that is kinda unfair though... well, it's a big word, but you know, please don't take it badly. Some people is all 'Awakening is all great', and no it's not. Again, Evangelion, the characters have all a past, emotions, actions, clear reasons that make them the way they are, and it is shown to us, and the plot all of it perfectly. Awakening is the exact opposite. Everything is on paper, everything tell tell tell, and the plot doesn't make sense. I'm sorry.

Plus, I hate to put someone's name in this mess, but Ghast have a series of videos called 'Support Sciences', which is awesome, great work, you should totally watch, and it talk about characters in depth, Yodel, Forde, Eliwood, Nino, to name a few, that completly destroy everything that Awakening have in any ways. I have missed quite a few details about them myself.
My point is, it's not the number that count, it's what you do with it, so imo, that's fair to compare both, but I see your point.
Also, I was comparing Severa and Peri at that moment on a... how to say it, different manner, crappy anime humor, everyone get bent over their quirks, nothing is ever achieved in their support or dialogues or anything, the suspension of disbielief being destroyed, etc.

I HAVE to admit that Severa did change a bit from Awakening to Fates, just a bit, I won't say that she grown (It's Fates and Awakening.), but it's a thing.
But for the DLC, they can 'kindly' put their so called character development behind DLC done with their foot where I think. In the toilet. I can't approve this kind or practice neither how badly it's done at quickspeed.

I'll stop with this all, I feel like I derailed the topic too much and it's my fault, my bias, I apologies, I'll stop. I know it's kind of hypocritical from me to say that after I posted this, but felt I needed to end my posing of this subject with a nicer tone, less ''Agrougrou this this and this sucks. I apologies, I'll try to restrain myself next time.

11 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Too bad most yandere are bland, forgettable or both. The number of yandere I deem worth remembering is one I can count on one hand...

It's not like I was really, really defending yandere you know., despite the fact that they tend to come in different flavors than tsunderes nowadays.

10 hours ago, Quiyonce said:

To the actual topic:

-An enemy character I'll love and not get to recruit because 'loyalty,' they'll get betrayed and killed or both

-Dragons

-Poorly written gays

-Evil old men^tm

Also, that's not predictions, this is called seeing into the future. :p
No seriously, point 1 and 2 and 3, is totally gonna happens we knows it.

13 hours ago, Quiyonce said:

To the actual topic:

-Dragons

-Poorly written gays

-Evil old men^tm

Personally hope its a Evil Old Lady, but other than that, totally will be a thing.

12 hours ago, Kori said:

At least one of our three lords will have a younger sister who uses staves. What are we gonna do otherwise, use vulneraries like barbarians or recruit a random stranger?

So far its just one assumed lord right? Though with a name like Three Houses, suppose its not a far stretch to assume that, since Lyn, Eliwood and Hector were all Lords. Personally hope that its a Bow user as the little sister though, or atleast the return of Mist, who was awesome.

On the subject of Eva, Asuka vs Severa. Lets just say they both could use more work then they got and move on. Personally there are better Red heads out there in the Fire Emblem Universe.

7 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

There will be an evil dragon somewhere in the "plot"

I’m hoping it’s the goddess herself and not just some random ass medeus, duma, grima sh*t.

also Apologies to @B.Leu for my rudeness.

7 hours ago, MyBoyHector said:

So far its just one assumed lord right? Though with a name like Three Houses, suppose its not a far stretch to assume that, since Lyn, Eliwood and Hector were all Lords. Personally hope that its a Bow user as the little sister though, or atleast the return of Mist, who was awesome.

I thought they were all advertised as Lords except Byleth... but if it's just Edelgard for now, then I predict our healer will be her little brother instead. And with someone's little sister using bows (Claude's?), we would have a mirror of Mist and Rolf, that's neat.

- At least one person (most likely female) will be obsessed with Byleth if they are the Avatar

- A female character  is going to have an unrequited love with a lord. Hopefully they are more an Oboro who can actually get together with said lord as the latter can get annoying quick.

- Cain and Abel trope

- A "quirky" character like Peri and Henry

- The flirty character that women get annoyed by

- The serious retainer that takes their job way too seriously

- The "canon" love interest for at least one of the four main characters. I have a feeling this is going to be Edelgard to Byleth ala Corrin and Azura but I really hope not...

- The bad guys are going to be able to be spotted immediately

- Dragon loli either acts like a child or considers us a sibling after a conversation

- I think all three of the main lords embody different tropes just from how little we know about them, but hopefully they will subvert them or be deeper then that

- The avatar commits some form of evil or at least deeply morally grey act, but it'll all be brushed aside so they can still be seen as a pure hero.