Perkilator

My predictions for the inevitable FE tropes in this game

If we have an avatar again, I think they're gonna suck at cooking. We're already batting 1000 with this, so Wynaut?

On 6/25/2018 at 10:49 AM, Akaliko said:

The obviously untrustworthy guy who surprises the main characters with the fact that he's in fact been working against them all along.

With an equally trustworthy mustache and heroic cackle.

My list of tropes that could happen (in a spoilers tab because of size):

Spoiler

The Cain and Abel archetype

A Jagen/Oifey

An Est

A Lena as the first healer

The return of a Bord and Cord

An Ogma

A proper Navarre

A Jeorge (Hahaha, I was actually royalty all along!!)

A prodigy mage (can be male or female... I'd like one of each)

The mounted healer

A cool recruitable character that requires a complex method like a sidequest or something

A Gharnef enemy

A Gotoh unit

Young dragon (confirmed)

A Camus enemy (hopefully recruitable dammit!!!)

A plot important person who dies (although I hope not, it's overused)

Corrupt church (seriously hoping its not all evil, just a few officials or something... this JRPG trope is overused)

Supports

Cliche gimmick character(s)

A skimpy dressed character (ugh noooo...enough sexualized females. Maybe try some male characters???)

A likable enemy that you have no choice but to kill/defeat/whatever (like the Camus above I hope not)

A fan favorite character having a plotline death (If they do this, at least flesh out the character so we feel something about it)

Anime tropes that everyone hates (no comment...)

A dragon for the final boss (please NO)

Pegasus Knights and Wyvern Knights (because riding on either of those is cool)

A devoted servant who does everything for their master (the Frederick/Jakob)

A clumsy person (maybe a boy this time????)

Two or more characters that like to argue

A thief or other criminal who joins you (or more than one)

Anna

A legendary sword (probably confirmed)

Edited by PrincessAlyson

Well some of the character archetypes I actually like. The Cain/Abel, the tsunderes,, est are all fun.

i also liked the super naive Eirika type of lord because she is so trusting and it’s like dude come on

In addition to what everyone else has said, we will be fighting bandit enemies for the first chapter for sure.

An Infantry Cleric will be the first healer recruited, followed by a mounted one.

A dragon final boss.

An eating enthusiast (a la Effie and Stahl).

Once again, Eliwood remains the only parent to a Lord character to ever survive a Fire Emblem plot

A unit that starts with garbage hit rate (Bartre and Nyx)

Weird cases of rescuing characters from cells... ready with their mount for some reason

Edited by Arcphoenix

1 hour ago, Arcphoenix said:

Once again, Eliwood remains the only parent to a Lord character to ever survive a Fire Emblem plot

Didn't Eliwood's mother survive FE7?

As for the topic at hand, I can't really think of anything that jumps out at me that hasn't already been said. (Or I'm just lacking that much sleep and unable to think straight.)

Edited by Light Strategist

52 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

Didn't Eliwood's mother survive FE7?

As for the topic at hand, I can't really think of anything that jumps out at me that hasn't already been said. (Or I'm just lacking that much sleep and unable to think straight.)

Huh. Actually I had forgotten. I think she did. Eliwood is the only father of a Lord to ever survive a Fire Emblem plot then.

On that note, some others:

Patricide (adopted parents count)

Dude who looks like a lady and is probably a healer

Sister whose taste in men is basically her brother to which no other man can surpass

Precious cinnamon rolls

Edited by Arcphoenix

Here are some of my predictions:

• A politically/militarily high-ranking human villain whose ambition leads to their downfall.
  • Enemies wear helmets, but the heroes don't. 
  • Bandits act as the early chapter villains.
  • A fiercely loyal mercenary/hero who joins early with great stats and continues to be great throughout the rest of the game (this is more something I'm hoping returns than something I'm predicting returns). In case this isn't clear, I'm referring to the Ogma archetype. 
  • A young mage who is loyal to the protagonist and starts with a wind spell.
  • Someone who joins in the final chapter with good stats and a powerful weapon.
  • A young green-haired archer who joins early on, and an already promoted archer with a much more serious personality.
  • A mysterious legendary swordsman with girl trouble. 
  • A military leader who bears no ill will towards you, but cannot be recruited because of their loyalty to an enemy kingdom or person.
  • A Pegasus Knight has an unrequited crush on either Dimitri or Claude. 
Edited by vanguard333

On 8/11/2018 at 1:22 AM, Arcphoenix said:

Sister whose taste in men is basically her brother to which no other man can surpass

Is this really so common to be considered a fire emblem trope? All I can think of is Lachesis but that is it.

15 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

Is this really so common to be considered a fire emblem trope? All I can think of is Lachesis but that is it.

I don't know about taste in men, but "no woman is good enought for my brother" seems to pop up from time to time. 

Here's some I think will make the cut

• Early game archer who sucks ass
  • That one character they made way too powerful for some reason (Seth, Milady, Camilla, Ryoma)
  • Worthless "Est" that ether shows up 4 chapters  before the final map, or the one who joins earlier but has  terrible bases and bad growths for an Est, so also worthless.
  • Mid game pre-promote with awesome bases and good growths that can decimate every enemy that comes into contact with them
  • pointless last minute unit recruited 2 maps  before the end of the game but has a really good item/weapon
  • fanservice character ( i'm betting both a male and female)
  • Mega late promotions for lord characters
  • Quiet, demure healer
  • Dancer type unit who comes midway with atrocious bases
  • The character that we'll all hate.
  • The church was evil and corrupt the whole time.
  • the campus archetype  I don't care about killing because  “ My country is obviously evil has committed crimes against humanity/ patriotism overrules common sense  and morality for some idiotic reason/ i’m only here to die so you feel bad but you won't because my actions and motivations are unclear and/or don't make any sense”.
  • The character who isn't playable who dies early on who we’re supposed to care about for some reason despite knowing them for less than an hour
  • x number of magical macguffins that seal the evil demon away
  • stationary bosses
  • hammy crit quotes

17 hours ago, Sage of the Mist said:

Here's some I think will make the cut

• Early game archer who sucks ass

Is the archer being terrible really part of the trope? I'll think back: Gordon, Rolf starts really bad and under-leveled but becomes alright, Leonardo, Virion... You may have a point. 

• Mega late promotions for lord characters

Seeing as the last two (non-remake) games got rid of story-driven promotions entirely, this likely shouldn't happen. 

• Quiet, demure healer

How often are the healers demure and quiet? The only three that I can think of off the top of my head are Sakura, Lena and maybe Laura. If anything, there's more that are far away from this: Mist, Lissa, Maribelle, Elise, Micaiah (who, while quiet at times, is more stoic than demure), and, while demure could describe Elincia early in Path of Radiance, by the time she becomes playable in either game, she's gained a massive boost in confidence. 

19 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

to me it seems to be more a trope in anime if nothing other than to scratch that otaku incest fetish but otherwise I don't see too often in fire emblem which is a good thing.

18 hours ago, Sage of the Mist said:

Quiet, demure healer

I think a better name for this trope would be cute little sister-esque healer. Because when you think about it those types of characters are almost always healers and they're almost in every game. You got mist, lissa, mary, elise, sakura, and Lachesis. Can't really speak for Fe 7, FE 6, or FE 5 cause I haven't played those but that seems to be the general rule.

11 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

How often are the healers demure and quiet? The only three that I can think of off the top of my head are Sakura, Lena and maybe Laura. If anything, there's more that are far away from this: Mist, Lissa, Maribelle, Elise, Micaiah (who, while quiet at times, is more stoic than demure), and, while demure could describe Elincia early in Path of Radiance, by the time she becomes playable in either game, she's gained a massive boost in confidence. 

You're forgetting Adean, Genny, Natasha, Ellen, Priscilla, Coirpe, Deirdre, Nanna, Mana, Safy, and Malliesia. So yeah I would say this is  a well established archetype/ trope.

54 minutes ago, Sage of the Mist said:

You're forgetting Adean, Genny, Natasha, Ellen, Priscilla, Coirpe, Deirdre, Nanna, Mana, Safy, and Malliesia. So yeah I would say this is  a well established archetype/ trope.

Thanks. To be fair; I did say "that I could remember". 

1 hour ago, Otts486 said:

I think a better name for this trope would be cute little sister-esque healer. Because when you think about it those types of characters are almost always healers and they're almost in every game. You got mist, lissa, mary, elise, sakura, and Lachesis. Can't really speak for Fe 7, FE 6, or FE 5 cause I haven't played those but that seems to be the general rule.

I agree; this would probably be a better description of it.

Edited by vanguard333