Koko the gorilla has passed away

Dragoncat

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/21/health/koko-gorilla-death-trnd/index.html

I remember reading the story of her and her kitten Ball in elementary school, it was such a neat story, and sad when Ball got hit by a car. I think she raised more kittens over her lifetime, but all I can think is now she's been reunited with Ball, the first kitten she loved.

RIP.

What really hit me deep and I cried a little was when she found out her friend Robin Williams died. She literally cried. They signed to her that her "friend" wouldn't come back and she knew right away what they meant. She huddled in a corner and cried. They showed videos of her interactions with him as well as them playing. He promised her he'd come back to visit. Damn just remembering this is tough on the tear ducts. I miss both of them. 

20 minutes ago, Tediz64 said:

What really hit me deep and I cried a little was when she found out her friend Robin Williams died. She literally cried. They signed to her that her "friend" wouldn't come back and she knew right away what they meant. She huddled in a corner and cried. They showed videos of her interactions with him as well as them playing. He promised her he'd come back to visit. Damn just remembering this is tough on the tear ducts. I miss both of them. 

I knew she met Robin Williams but I didn't know that! She gets to see him again now.

Oh yeah. They played together and even wrestled, he read a book to her, and they talked thru sign. They have a video both hugging each other and he promised to come back. I'm pretty sure she thought of him as a best friend. But then when news of his death came to light and they told her...man. it was super devastating. I watched her reaction (which they recorded a little bit but typed an article covering the rest) and it made me cry. She literally went to a corner, slumped over, and cried. 

Robin Williams was such a great guy. Such a pure soul! They say he wanted to make others happy because he was struggling with depression and didn't wish that on anyone else. He was also a Zelda fan and named his daughter Zelda, so that's a plus too. I think there was a movement about Nintendo designing a Hyrule king to look like him. Never happened, sadly.

7 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Robin Williams was such a great guy. Such a pure soul! They say he wanted to make others happy because he was struggling with depression and didn't wish that on anyone else. He was also a Zelda fan and named his daughter Zelda, so that's a plus too. I think there was a movement about Nintendo designing a Hyrule king to look like him. Never happened, sadly.

I remember that petition. It wasn't necessarily a king, but any npc, and more the naming. By coincidence, there's a rumor that one minor NPC was designed to look like him, though no one really knows for sure. http://www.dorkly.com/post/82693/zelda-details/page:3

Speaking of odd friendships with animals, I recalled this. https://www.animalsaustralia.org/features/amazing-croc-story.php

I remember learning back in middle school about her using sign language to communicate with humans, and it blew my mind.

"Holy shit, a non-human animal using human language to communicate with humans, that's crazy."

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

I remember learning back in middle school about her using sign language to communicate with humans, and it blew my mind.

"Holy shit, a non-human animal using human language to communicate with humans, that's crazy."

Apes/gorillas and monkeys are very intelligent. Dolphins can communicate with humans too and so can some parrots, but of course they can't use sign language.

8 hours ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Given that I learned of the lifespan of gorillas from Game Theory of all things, I figured she probably didn't have much left in her. I thought she might've died years ago, but I guess not.

Ok as if i didn't already like the people of this website enough as is now i find out people here watch Game Theory too!!! I should totally start a thread so maybe we can discuss MatPat's videos and go over what we think about them. I wonder what section that'd go in. A little help @eclipse

2 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Apes/gorillas and monkeys are very intelligent. Dolphins can communicate with humans too and so can some parrots, but of course they can't use sign language.

Are parrots capable of comprehending what they say when they use human language, though? 

Koko knew what she was saying when she used sign language, and used it to convey thoughts and emotions.

16 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Are parrots capable of comprehending what they say when they use human language, though? 

Koko knew what she was saying when she used sign language, and used it to convey thoughts and emotions.

Some parrots are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_(parrot)

21 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

Ok as if i didn't already like the people of this website enough as is now i find out people here watch Game Theory too!!! I should totally start a thread so maybe we can discuss MatPat's videos and go over what we think about them. I wonder what section that'd go in. A little help @eclipse

If you do, it would probably go in General?  I might move it, depending on what you guys discuss.

• 2 weeks later...