Anime Convention - Onicon

Tediz64

Hopefully I can keep this topic alive and people are up for the idea but who is interested in talking about upcoming conventions?

Not just if you plan to go but maybe even if people want to meet up, hang out, maybe street pass our DS(s) so we can share FE teams and basically anything else. I dunno about others but I'd love to socialize and make friends. I go to about 2 or 3 cons a year but I've only ventured out of state my ( I'm from Texas and we have 3 huge cons here) once and that was for Comiket in California. My favorite is Onicon. I went to Matsuri a few years and SanJapan was one time mainly because since they put it right next to other tourist attractions it was nasty moving around over there. Matsuri is in Spring so it already past but Oni is coming up since it's every Halloween weekend. I think SanJapan is in August but I'm not going. 

I love cons! I live in another country but just last weekend I went to the Animecon in the hague. There were tons of cosplays, and there was tons to do! I went to a butler café and it was amazing. I have pictures that I may or may not share.

16 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

Not just if you plan to go but maybe even if people want to meet up, hang out, maybe street pass our DS(s) so we can share FE teams and basically anything else. I dunno about others but I'd love to socialize and make friends. I go to about 2 or 3 cons a year but I've only ventured out of state my ( I'm from Texas and we have 3 huge cons here) once and that was for Comiket in California. My favorite is Onicon. I went to Matsuri a few years and SanJapan was one time mainly because since they put it right next to other tourist attractions it was nasty moving around over there. Matsuri is in Spring so it already past but Oni is coming up since it's every Halloween weekend. I think SanJapan is in August but I'm not going. 

I've attended Oni-Con a handful of times (I live about 2 hours away). Just throwing that out there~

10 hours ago, Michelaar said:

I love cons! I live in another country but just last weekend I went to the Animecon in the hague. There were tons of cosplays, and there was tons to do! I went to a butler café and it was amazing. I have pictures that I may or may not share.

Oh i know! I remember when i first started going to cons i'd bring this expensive camera with me and shoot like over 200 photos of all the cosplayers and sights. It was always fun. Now i only shoot about 20 or 30 photos of people who do cosplays i super love. I went to this maid cafe...it was nice but i was so confused as to what i could buy or do so i ended up leaving after like 20 minutes. I might add some of my pictures to this thread if i see one other person do it.

45 minutes ago, Elieson said:

I've attended Oni-Con a handful of times (I live about 2 hours away). Just throwing that out there~

Awesome. Every year i'm saddened there isn't enough Fire Emblem cosplayers and con-goers. I mean i barely get to snap like 3 pictures of people doing FE. Two hours away from Galveston would put you maybe in Houston/San Antonio/Austin? I live in Houston. Maybe we can be friends and meet up this year. One spot i always go to is the LARP area. That and battle grounds. I love using those foam weapons to fight and play for like 2 or 3 hours. Followed by getting pizaa and waiting for the concerts to start after 8pm and of course attending the cosplay competition and then finishing up with the EDM/Rave at the end of the night

58 minutes ago, Tediz64 said:

I live in Houston.

The Woodlands, is right up the street from my home town (I won't list the specifics, but it's just barely to the north/northwest and falls within the bounds).

LARP'ing is fun and I won a battlegrounds my first year that I went, though it was at about 3AM and I was too tired to realize that I had actually won it until I got a gift certificate handed to me...ahh, the days.

I don't recall many FE cosplayers there though. Anime Matsuri brings a lot of FE Cosplay, and PAX of course, but fsr, Fire Emblem doesn't hit Oni-Con like you'd expect it to. I'd always appreciate an opportunity to meet SF'goers. I've had the pleasure to meet a small handful (two, to this day), but long for the day in which I can be part of a crowd and share chitchat of the forest with my fellow denizens of the deep~

Also what...two? years ago, I went down with my son and we got autographs from Naruto's junko takeuchi. That was most fun~

Maybe we can even sync up and cosplay fire emblem characters. I've always had the idea of doing either Ike, Black Knight, Hector, or maybe even Ephraim. The only thing i've never been on board with is dying hair....especially with my job i can't. I'd have to make sure it only lasts a day or two if i was going to even dye it. 

Also yeah i've hit up the Woodlands once. Mainly because in the Houston area there is a facility up there that does background checks not just for credit, but criminal records and housing records. I need that stuff for an application. 

Also Matsuri really does pull in more diversity. Oni was my first con and that was back in 2008 when it was still at the George R Brown Center, but then it moved several times before finally settling in Galveston. 

I"m surprised SF doesn't have a thread for meeting up or socializing in real life. As big as this site is i haven't seen a thread like that and i've hit up a few sections exploring this site. But i guess maybe for gamers (who tend to be introverts often enough; not every single one but maybe like 51% or more) it is a bit of a stretch to try and meet up. I'd by lying if i said i wasn't a little nervous or anxious. I tried joining other circles for like Zelda, Smash, Pokemon, and what not at these cons but often enough i only hear from those people about 5 or so times throughout the year and it isn't until we get close to con-time that i really start hearing from them. This one group i joined that was into the Tales series was pretty big with over 12 members but then....it died lol. I barely managed to keep one person in my loop who i text every so often. If only i could grab more attention from the people of this site