What are some non-meta promotions for this game?

Well I mean SS is rather easy so no matter what promotions you do, everyone would turn out well.

The only promotions I rarely see are Warrior!Ross and Ranger!Gerik.

True, but some are inherently worse than others. I find Sage!Moulder is generally bad in combat due to his low magic damage. He absolutely needs Slayer later on to help with the monsters. Ewan's summons are always worse than Knoll's, Sniper offers nothing but being able to use ballistae for all three maps that have them, etc. But there's one class I think has zero reason to exist besides memeing...

Warrior is my least favorite class in the game; It takes all the worst stats about a fighter and amplifies them, while offering nothing but bows to a class that already has multiple 1-2 range weapons.

11 minutes ago, Number one Ross fan said:

True, but some are inherently worse than others. I find Sage!Moulder is generally bad in combat due to his low magic damage. He absolutely needs Slayer later on to help with the monsters. Ewan's summons are always worse than Knoll's, Sniper offers nothing but being able to use ballistae for all three maps that have them, etc. But there's one class I think has zero reason to exist besides memeing...

Warrior is my least favorite class in the game; It takes all the worst stats about a fighter and amplifies them, while offering nothing but bows to a class that already has multiple 1-2 range weapons.

But Snipers get sure shot! A randomly procced skill that ensures you'll hit an enemy you already have 100% chance of hitting...nice job making something useful there IS.

43 minutes ago, Jotari said:

But Snipers get sure shot! A randomly procced skill that ensures you'll hit an enemy you already have 100% chance of hitting...nice job making something useful there IS.

What exactly is that for again? It's not like this game has multiple playable archers with different stats like Binding Blade.

Valkyrie!Natasha just because Fe8 is pretty much mounted emblem if you think about it. Assassin!Marissa can work since the ohko mechanic they have can help with her nonexistent Str growth, I've seen Mage Knight!Lute work (though Mage Knight is probably more common than Sage), and also I've personally preferred Falcon Knight!Vanessa/Tana over Wyvern Rider.

Edited by Lunarly

57 minutes ago, Number one Ross fan said:

Is it weird I prefer Colm over Joshua? To me Rouge!Colm is way easier to use and when paired with Sniper/Ranger!Neimi with supports gains an explosive crit boost. I generally bench Joshua and take his Killing Edge for use by someone else.

uh no, it's just that joshua is pretty much easy built to use right off the bat. Colm's got the rogue benefits tho.

i mean if you want to talk support boosts, then there's also joshuaXgerik which gets good crit iirc.

1 hour ago, Mister Rogers said:

uh no, it's just that joshua is pretty much easy built to use right off the bat. Colm's got the rogue benefits tho.

i mean if you want to talk support boosts, then there's also joshuaXgerik which gets good crit iirc.

Ah, I tend to go for utility, ease of training, and personal bias over the time you get someone usually. How's the neighborhood?

39 minutes ago, Number one Ross fan said:

Ah, I tend to go for utility, ease of training, and personal bias over the time you get someone usually. How's the neighborhood?

Well yeah, but consider that

• Colm gets 2HKO'd by every non-peg knight lance wielder.
  • If we factor in a no-grinding run, then Colm's relying on taking out soft targets.
  • Joshua can pretty much gain no levels and early promote with base stats+promo gains to swordmaster and still possess workable combat stats. (It's fe8. A base stats+promo gains to SM gets him to close to rennac level bases)

But yeah, both are easy enough to train. Colm's got the utility and his promo item's first use is only contested by pirate ross. Joshua has to compete with fighter ross, garcia, and likely gerik/marisa.  It kinda comes down to personal preference. 

edit: Colm>Joshua for contributions outside of earlygame combat filler tho.

Edited by Mister Rogers

Promoting Garcia and Ross to Warrior over Hero/Zerker. E Bows is dumb but if you work on that rank, there are times where having an accurate 2-range can come in handy.

8 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

Promoting Garcia and Ross to Warrior over Hero/Zerker. E Bows is dumb but if you work on that rank, there are times where having an accurate 2-range can come in handy.

still better than using neimi

10 hours ago, X-Naut said:

See my above soapbox on why Warrior was a cruel joke class.

10 hours ago, Mister Rogers said:

still better than using neimi

Neimi sucks IMO because she's the only playable Archer. If we got different archers with different stats it'd be better, but instead we're stuck with a pink-haired crybaby who's supports range from crying and being comforted or bothering other people.

5 hours ago, Number one Ross fan said:

Neimi sucks IMO because she's the only playable Archer. If we got different archers with different stats it'd be better, but instead we're stuck with a pink-haired crybaby who's supports range from crying and being comforted or bothering other people.

So, Neimi.  IMO it's better to bench her and sell the Orion's Bolt, because neither of her promotions are special.  Gerik can go Horse Bow Thing if you're so inclined, and Innes has Sniper covered.  The biggest downside IMO is not having that super-fast Colm support.

15 hours ago, eclipse said:

So, Neimi.  IMO it's better to bench her and sell the Orion's Bolt, because neither of her promotions are special.  Gerik can go Horse Bow Thing if you're so inclined, and Innes has Sniper covered.  The biggest downside IMO is not having that super-fast Colm support.

Bows in general suck. Only the longbow offers a real niche in that it covers 2-3 spaces, but it's even outclassed by any long-range tome in that regard. Just use hand axes/javelins.

5 hours ago, Number one Ross fan said:

Bows in general suck. Only the longbow offers a real niche in that it covers 2-3 spaces, but it's even outclassed by any long-range tome in that regard. Just use hand axes/javelins.

You're the one that wants to do a challenge playthrough, not me.  So why are you arguing against suggestions?

6 hours ago, Number one Ross fan said:

-talks about wanting a challenge

-keeps arguing

eh i've found that the warriors in fe8 can hit D bows fast enough and don't get 2HKOd by fucking everything so yeah

warrior ross>neimi

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

You're the one that wants to do a challenge playthrough, not me.  So why are you arguing against suggestions?

57 minutes ago, Mister Rogers said:

-talks about wanting a challenge

-keeps arguing

eh i've found that the warriors in fe8 can hit D bows fast enough and don't get 2HKOd by fucking everything so yeah

warrior ross>neimi

IDK, I figured there was more I could do than just this to make it challenging.

1 minute ago, Number one Ross fan said:

IDK, I figured there was more I could do than just this to make it challenging.

Yeah.  You start by doing things that you wouldn't do otherwise.  Like using every single bow unit possible (in other words, if someone can promote and use bows, you use them in the bow-wielding class).

Or, you can grab an old draft team and go ham.  Up to you.

Interesting one I seen once was to end the game with every item having full uses, meaning no Sacred Twins or Rapier use (I think there's a second Reginlief though). Hammerine and Dragonskins included. Apperantly it makes the end game actually challenging.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

Interesting one I seen once was to end the game with every item having full uses, meaning no Sacred Twins or Rapier use (I think there's a second Reginlief though). Hammerine and Dragonskins included. Apperantly it makes the end game actually challenging.

Brave and Silver weapons bullying Formotiis? I'm in for dat

36 minutes ago, Mister Rogers said:

Brave and Silver weapons bullying Formotiis? I'm in for dat

Oh it also includes promotion items, so you can't promote Eirika or Ephraim since their promotion items are unique.

18 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Oh it also includes promotion items, so you can't promote Eirika or Ephraim since their promotion items are unique.

iirc someone did an fe8 run with unpromoted units and the prior conditions you outlined.

so yeah it's easy enough.

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

There's a second Rapier/Reginleif depending on what route you go.

In other words, this is a shop-only run.  Luckily, promotions items are on sale in Jehenna/Grado.  I guess stat boosters fall into this category, if they're one-ofs?  Sounds like an interesting way to play (and RIP the Hatchet).