What are some non-meta promotions for this game?

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

There's a second Rapier/Reginleif depending on what route you go.

Actually there is no second Reginleif, only a second Rapier. Found in Chapter 9 in the house across the water from the starting positions- easy to get via Vanessa or Tana and a little careful flying around.

Why a second Rapier but no second Reginleif? I'd guess its because Eirika is forced into burning some of her Rapier for the first two battles or so, and she has significantly availability when she might tap into it. I think it is perfectly feasible that she'll be over halfway done with the first or more by the time you finish the pre-split stuff. Ephraim on the other hand fights only twice before the split, and starts with a Steel Lance for economy, so Reginleif should be going into the route split with a more bearable amount of durability loss. Not to mention Eph doesn't need his personal lance as much as Eirika might need the Rapier b/c her low Str and Con makes Steel over Iron an issue for her, and Reginleif has an extra 5 uses over the Rapier.

As for the original topic question, Moulder is just blah regardless of what you make him, but Sage might actually be slightly better, since monsters in the main story aren't very many, and he has AS loss free Elfire compared to -1 AS Divine, and also has +1 Mt against non-Monsters.

For another challenge, maybe Ewan and Knoll as Druids? No Summoner utility and both are pretty bad combat units on no-grind.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Actually there is no second Reginleif, only a second Rapier. Found in Chapter 9 in the house across the water from the starting positions- easy to get via Vanessa or Tana and a little careful flying around.

Why a second Rapier but no second Reginleif? I'd guess its because Eirika is forced into burning some of her Rapier for the first two battles or so, and she has significantly availability when she might tap into it. I think it is perfectly feasible that she'll be over halfway done with the first or more by the time you finish the pre-split stuff. Ephraim on the other hand fights only twice before the split, and starts with a Steel Lance for economy, so Reginleif should be going into the route split with a more bearable amount of durability loss. Not to mention Eph doesn't need his personal lance as much as Eirika might need the Rapier b/c her low Str and Con makes Steel over Iron an issue for her, and Reginleif has an extra 5 uses over the Rapier.

I could've sworn there was a second Reginleif.  I'm well aware of the second Rapier, because I get salty every time I miss it. :P:

Still, thanks.  Reginleif is a lot better than the Rapier IMO.

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

Still, thanks.  Reginleif is a lot better than the Rapier IMO.

Partly that can attributed to Ephraim having much better stats than Eirika. He is about as fast (until he rams the promotion cap), just a little less but still able to double practically almost everything, yet he has so much more durability and Str, plus a stronger weapon type.

As for the weapons themselves, enemies the Rapier is WT neutral or WTA against are generally uncommon or mixed in with enemies that happen to be WTA against it, which in the form of Lance Cavs and Knights are far more common. Eirika being not significantly more dodgy than Ephraim and much more frail means she is two-shotted by anything with WTA against her and has a shaky chance of dodging.

WT can also in those same circumstances makes the 3 Mt difference between Reginleif and the Rapier into a 4 Mt difference, which is huge when its the Mt that is multiplied for the effective bonus, against a Knight/Cav, Ephraim deals 12 more damage not factoring in his higher Str, 24 on the double. That is easily the difference between injuring and killing an enemy. Ephraim doesn't need to waste another unit's time before or after he attacks.

But that is enough dissection of why Reginleif > Rapier. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 7:46 PM, Number one Ross fan said:

Neimi sucks IMO because she's the only playable Archer. If we got different archers with different stats it'd be better, but instead we're stuck with a pink-haired crybaby who's supports range from crying and being comforted or bothering other people.

How dare you say that about my favorite FE character! She’s no 1 in my book!

On topic, I want to do a Neimi and Amelia only challenge run with no stat boosters. The clear class choices are Ranger and Paladin, but should I get Neimi to S rank swords instead of bows?