Damaging Skills.

How will damage boosting Skills work in Three Houses?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How will damage boosting Skills(Astra; Lethality; Flare) work in Three Houses?

• Like they have in the past, percentage chance from a skill.
    • Like in Echoes; triggered through a weapon art from sacrificing HP.
    • Like Heroes; a cooldown which counts down after each action.

There's not much to go off of at this point, but we know that combat arts are back so there's no reason to think they'll use proc skills anymore. There didn't seem to be anything in the trailer to show a cooldown either, but what was shown in the trailer was also most likely the early game where you wouldn't have access to those types of abilities either. Either way I think there should be a limiting factor when it comes to skills like luna or astra so I voted that they'll sacrifice hp for them.

nice try, copying my formula i seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

problem is, no-one really liked skills, people are opinionated about canto, das why this will stay quiet

(insert more 10 o' clock elitism here)

I'd like a mixture between Echoes and Heroes. Some skills would have a build-up, others would have a cool-down, and some would have both, and all of them (besides passive skills) would have to be activated. Perhaps you could sacrifice hp if you wish to speed things up.

I'd prefer if percentage based skills didn't come back. They're unreliable, and seemed more like a random bonus to a normal attack than something you could actively base a strategy around.

I love how skills work in Awakening/Fates and would prefer it stay that way. I literally can't remember anything from my time playing SoV (that's how bored I was) so I don't even recall how skills supposedly worked there. I agree with the sentiment that I don't want anything in Heroes affecting the main series; Heroes is a fanservice mobage and should have 0 influence on core games.

I don't mind attack augments (extra damage, accuracy, etc) but I wouldn't want to see full on skills as combat arts. Having something that strong on demand feels too easy.

On the other side, cooldowns feel very uniform, but if they had cooldown acceleration/reduction mechanics to keep things less fixed, then I'd be okay with that.
(Side note: I'm not going to go on about how Heroes is the best thing since -insert subjectively best FE installation here-, but it has definitely added interesting new ideas that could translate well into the main games. Breaker skill changes and movement based buffs/skills come to mind.)

Percentage based can be annoying at times because of RNG reliance, but it's a happy medium. They're (usually) not spammable, but the activation rates are generally fair enough to make things feel balanced and dependable. Of the three, this is what I'd most likely want to see return.

RNG based skill procs are okay but maybe they could try cooldown or charges. Say they could use a skill manually after being in combat X number of times. It's not like it would be the first time a game as done this, as Fates had the Guard stance charge up and let you block an attack when at full.

Sacrificing health for skills doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

5 hours ago, Modamy said:

Does anyone else wonder if they'll use the returning weapon durability as a kind of mp meter for combat arts?

I never thought of that actually but that makes a hell of a lot of sense. Being forced to use an Iron Sword when using a combat art which drains 10 uses from the sword because the stronger swords have less durability. This would actually allow high durability weapons to be a lot more viable late game, but would only really work if the weapon arts get carried over from weapon to weapon after the art is learned.

I haven't played FE Echoes so I don't know that system, but I don't like these skills randomly activating like in Awakening.  It goes against strategy, and it feels cheap when it happens.  In fact, Lethality is innappropriate no matter what activation mechanism is used.

There are other ways it can be done.  One way is a hybrid of the Heroes counter and traditional RNG;  there's a counter which goes up by a random number each turn.  When it goes above 100, the Skill is activated and it goes back to 0.  There should still be a clearly-indicated chance of activation when the counter is up (just as regular attacks have hit rates).  But if the skill activation misses, should the counter drop by 100, go down a random amount, or stay the same?

I think I would prefer manual activation for really powerful damage skills, but I might change my mind.

10 hours ago, (s)ad touch said:

problem is, no-one really liked skills, people are opinionated about canto, das why this will stay quiet

Is Canto controversial?  I'm new here, and I was made aware of it by this, and it sounds like a good idea to me.

9 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

... Some skills would have a build-up, others would have a cool-down, and some would have both, and ...

What's the difference between a build-up and a cool-down.

@NinjaMonkey@nyainouI think you're being ignorant about FE Heroes.  While it's not as good as a true Fire Emblem game, and there are definately aspects of it that core FE should not have (like the Gacha system), you shouldn't brush it off the possibility that it introduced any good ideas for FE.  In fact, I think it's very possible that some of the mechanics in Heroes were first considered for core FE, but deemed too radical.  Heroes is overall more chess-like than core FE.  Also, you wouldn't recognize any mechanics brought from Heroes if you haven't played that game enough. 

However, if you both have actually played Heroes a good amount and understand the mechanics in it, I humbly apologize for the above paragraph.

13 minutes ago, Electric-Gecko said:

@NinjaMonkey@nyainouI think you're being ignorant about FE Heroes.  While it's not as good as a true Fire Emblem game, and there are definately aspects of it that core FE should not have (like the Gacha system), you shouldn't brush it off the possibility that it introduced any good ideas for FE.  In fact, I think it's very possible that some of the mechanics in Heroes were first considered for core FE, but deemed too radical.  Heroes is overall more chess-like than core FE.  Also, you wouldn't recognize any mechanics brought from Heroes if you haven't played that game enough. 

However, if you both have actually played Heroes a good amount and understand the mechanics in it, I humbly apologize for the above paragraph.

I've been playing it since release day. Even pre-registered, iirc. I think that if things were brought over from Heroes into a core game, they'd need a lot of tweaking any way. FE:Heroes works on a nearly completely different system than core games, to start with. Not to mention just how small map sizes are, which greatly affects the mechanics of skills and whatnot. Point is, whatever may get carried over from Heroes, it'll probably be so reworked it'd be near unrecognizable. 

Edited by nyainou

12 hours ago, Electric-Gecko said:

What's the difference between a build-up and a cool-down.

A build-up would require time and/or actions beforehand, so you can't use the skill immediately. The system in heroes where you have to attack a certain amount of times before a skill activates is an example of a build-up.

A cool-down means that the skill can be used immediately, but you have to wait before you can use it again.