I got Awakening today!

7 hours ago, Alm(mond) said:

have fun it's a pretty fun game despite it being unbalanced lol

I’m having a blast, but good Lord if it isn’t hard as balls, even on Normal/Casual (I’m a scrub, lol).

4 hours ago, Perkilator said:

I’m having a blast, but good Lord if it isn’t hard as balls, even on Normal/Casual (I’m a scrub, lol).

That's how I started as well, roughly three-and-a-half years ago.

Lunatic/Classic is outright unfair, and I haven't even gotten Lunatic+.  It's all because the beginning is significantly more difficult than the rest of the game, and only one of your units starts off with any stats higher than ten aside from HP and his name is Frederick.

Once skirmishes start to appear and you get access to reeking boxes, you will have an easier time.  Unless you're the kind of player who hates grinding.  The nice thing about Awakening is that just about any character you pick up can be viable, with or without grinding.  Even certain latecomers who only join you last minute.

7 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Every FE starts on the harder side. But enemy stats tend to stagnate after a while, so while everyone on your side gains some levels, the enemies won't be gaining as much if you don't spread the EXP too thinly. Every FE is like this.

The questions then become how fast can your guys exceed the enemy's stats significantly and for how long?

Awakening does spike its enemy stats fairly frequently, unlike say FE7 where they generally flatline until the second to last chapter.

Yet Awakening does make it possible for you to gain EXP real easily. If you treat half the team you usually field as combat units, and the other half as Pair Up backpacks who never see the light of day and are never apart from their assigned combat unit, and throw in a couple unpaired healers, then you can easily plow through Awakening.

If you seek more challenge, don't use Pair Up that much, thereby spreading the EXP more thinly. But of course, grinding can remedy any EXP deficiency.

There are ways to self-impose challenges that a lot of people do - particularly for games like FE Awakening or FE Fates: Revelation, which are inherently easier than games like FE Fates: Conquest - but I say that sort of stuff should be looked into only after you get your bearings up to at least Hard/Classic.

Though yeah, there are points where the enemy stats will just spike out of nowhere.  Especially in Paralogues 5 and up if you grind a lot; I hear the enemy stats in those paralogues scale with the levels of your units.

But I shouldn't really tell you much else beyond that.  It's funner to learn for yourself, I think.  Then you'll feel smarter and more accomplished when you finally nail down the higher difficulties.  Trust me, you may be a scrub now, but as you play the game more, you'll get better.

22 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Though yeah, there are points where the enemy stats will just spike out of nowhere.  Especially in Paralogues 5 and up if you grind a lot; I hear the enemy stats in those paralogues scale with the levels of your units.

Not really - in Awakening, the difficulty of the children's paralogues is proportional to when the fixed parent joined. Ergo, Owain, Morgan, Laurent and Kjelle have easier paralogues (which is to say, they still use mostly unpromoted units), whereas Inigo and Gerome have harder ones.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

5 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Not really - in Awakening, the difficulty of the children's paralogues is proportional to when the fixed parent joined. Ergo, Owain, Morgan, Laurent and Kjelle have easier paralogues (which is to say, they still use mostly unpromoted units), whereas Inigo and Gerome have harder ones.

Then whoever told me that was wrong.  All I know is that when I went for them, they were really difficult on Lunatic.

2 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Sorry, but I can’t upload another image.

You can post your pics on an image sharing website (like imgur) and then copy-paste them to this site without worrying about image limits.

Anyway, yeah, Chapter 12 is one of the levels that spikes in difficulty.  I'll give you this hint: sometimes a turn is best spent not attacking.  Also, chokepoints (as in, narrow spaces that only one or two units can squeeze in) are excellent places to put units with high defense such as Kellam or Frederick.  If all else fails, you can always grind by buying reeking boxes and using them on the World Map (anyone can use it), or by summoning SpotPass teams.

Also, how the hell did you get Gharnef this early???

On 6/29/2018 at 10:37 PM, Ertrick36 said:

Then whoever told me that was wrong.  All I know is that when I went for them, they were really difficult on Lunatic.

You can post your pics on an image sharing website (like imgur) and then copy-paste them to this site without worrying about image limits.

Anyway, yeah, Chapter 12 is one of the levels that spikes in difficulty.  I'll give you this hint: sometimes a turn is best spent not attacking.  Also, chokepoints (as in, narrow spaces that only one or two units can squeeze in) are excellent places to put units with high defense such as Kellam or Frederick.  If all else fails, you can always grind by buying reeking boxes and using them on the World Map (anyone can use it), or by summoning SpotPass teams.

Also, how the hell did you get Gharnef this early???

Thanks for the advice, but I’m actually just sorta using Gharnef as my main attacker. I’ve two Flux and a Thunder. I got Gharnef through Spotpass spoiling me and Bullions. Lots and lots of bullions.

EDIT: Okay, I pulled through and beat Ch. 12…with Anna. I still lost Olivia, but I kept on because I didn’t wanna fight 40 Valmese all over again.

Edited by Perkilator

• 2 weeks later...

Have fun with it, it’s my personal favorite Fire Emblem game and I can confirm that you will definitely have a lot of fun with it. It has a great cast of characters, great story, decent maps, and is very flexible with newcomers. I got it the day it was released and I’m still playing it to this day, playing lunatic classic to unlock lunatic +.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry about losing units in casual because they aren't gone permanently.

And Don't worry about getting strong units since you can always grind in the end.

If you can, get kids as they are generally more fun to mess around with.