Any character becoming more popular because of how strong they are in Heroes?

We all know the story of Reinhardt, but is there any other character who, like Reinhardt, was relatively unknown but became more popular because of how strong he/she was in Heroes?

On the other hand, is there any character becomes less popular because he/she is weak in Heroes?

As said, Nino is the closest example, I guess. But she was always popular from the beginning (she, like Ninian, were just forgotten about). Unlike Reinhardt, she was always a fan favourite amongst the Blazing Sword community. Ninian will fall under a similar category as Nino. 

Grima is definitely the most relevant example since their popularity surged despite being largely forgotten and seen as one of the weakest links in Awakening's story. I think Genny also become more popular due to her unique niche as a healer and coming with wrathful staff. Not sure if she qualifies since there's no accurate representation of Genny fans prior to Heroes.

We'll have to see the results of the third CYL, but I wouldn't be surprised if Myrrh has a surge in votes. I think Linus will also get a steady increase, whether that's enough to beat his brother is another question. Otherwise, a lot of characters that are quite good in Heroes (Elincia, Karla, Ayra, Hardin, Bow Hinoka) don't really seem like they've had an increase of fans. They have their dedicated fans, I'm sure, but no real surge of popularity. 

Apart from them, honestly doesn't seem like it. 

Fae was largely unknown to the west but she's become a lot more popular due to how cute and powerful she is.

Nobody knew who Ares was, but now, he’s become moderately popular, due to the dark Mystletainn. Nobody ever talks about fe 4 or 5 so whenever a new addition comes from one of those games, and power creeps FEH, everyone will be talking about it, even if nobody who played the game even remembers them. 

oh yeah there's

• Karel, who noone really cared much for iirc
  • Joshua, who's kinda only known for his hat
  • Linus, who turned out to be really damned good for a freebie
  • Dorcas, who was a living meme
  • Sanaki was cute, but kinda shitty in fe10.
  • Sophia being pretty good with a bulky CC build

for dudes who got good in heroes despite not being all that popular. (Marisa is excluded since she was a pretty popular waifu. Rebecca too)

But on the other hand, we've got

• Florina being shit without high investment
  • Seth/Clive/FInn being disappointing as fuck
  • Hawkeye being kinda crappy
  • Don't get me started on Lucius being a staff unit and not a blue mage
  • Canas being underwhelming.
  • Pretty much every game's classic cavs are kinda underwhelming, but usable. Poor Jagen and Gunter.
  • Haha Virion got shafted the most.
  • Merric has a weird statline
  • Narshen is a hot pile of shit
  • There's also plenty of characters that want prf upgrades

24 minutes ago, I'm a Spheal said:

I think Cecilia has become more popular because of Heroes, being a counter to both Reinhardt and Brave Lyn with Horse Buffs when Horse Emblem was at it's peak would do that. 

->Implying horse emblem isn't still at its peak.

but yeah Cecilia's had a substantial fanbase within the gba FE fans. Her design's just really pretty.

2 hours ago, SlipperySlippy said:

Grima is definitely the most relevant example since their popularity surged despite being largely forgotten and seen as one of the weakest links in Awakening's story.

It also helps that they gave Grima a bit more personality. Apparently he feels exploited by his worshippers which is much more then Awakenings ''Mwahahaha I'm an eeeevil dragon!'' Grima ever did. 

6 minutes ago, Lemmy said:

Wrys got a popularity boost from this game, but it had nothing to do with power.

It had nothing to do with the fact that he was voiced by the guy who did Wesker from the Resident Evil game series, either :D

5 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I cant really agree with those saying Nino. Wasn't she always really popular?

Yeah, people love their Ests. Nino was already popular before Heroes.

Nino won the FE7 popularity contest and ranked pretty high up in CYL1 so yeah. Always been popular

Edited by silveraura25

Seth is really bad with out heavy investment and in SS he was one of the most powerful units.

As to not that popular that are now great in Heroes I would say Grima since they were pretty bland and cookie cutter evil dragon in Awakening but in Heroes they are pretty interesting and good units to boot.

Mathilda would've become much more popular. She's quite popular in Echoes, but was horribly butchered for Heroes. Most people forget she exists.

I think Ayra and likely Karla have gotten more popular thanks to being exemplary sword units. 

Linus might get a boost due to us his art and performance.

The Frelian siblings might due to their recent exposure. 

Seth might be irrelevant in Heroes, but at least he’s got memes elsewhere such as the Google Translate patch and whatnot.

Reinhardt is easily the best and most obvious example; when he was first added to Heroes, he was basically a nobody - he originated from a JP-only (and one of the lowest selling) title and ranked very poorly in the 2017 CYL poll. However, thanks to his early addition to Heroes, his being a simple powerhouse, and his being demoted to 4-5* availability (and eventually further demoted to 3-4* availability), Reinhardt easily became a notorious unit for much of 2017. And he still is extremely powerful for PvE content. This is easily reflected in the 2018 CYL poll, in which he scored 5th place among males.

Berkut went down due to feh's butchering, Anthony is still hated by almost everyone and I'm prolly a walking meme because of it and Reinhardt is the definition of zero to hero. If we do get fe5 echoes, i want dlc for him but at the same time i don't since it'll prolly rip apart my headcanon for him that's really kinda ooc

Not very sure, but I noticed some people started to look after Klein too, most probably thanks to Tobi's art, and now lot of fans wants Innes just because art.

For sure the Jugdral characters become a bit more popular now, I hope that can help to get a remake of the games.

And then you have meme Wrys.

7 hours ago, Will Bill said:

Nobody knew who Ares was, but now, he’s become moderately popular, due to the dark Mystletainn.

Hey, he has been one of my favs since years ago alone with Sety, Levin and Fury (or whatever her name is now) :(

9 hours ago, False Prophet said:

We all know the story of Reinhardt, but is there any other character who, like Reinhardt, was relatively unknown but became more popular because of how strong he/she was in Heroes?

On the other hand, is there any character becomes less popular because he/she is weak in Heroes?

Characters from games that weren't released over here stand a much better chance of becoming popular due to their strength, since, for many, they were pretty much an unknown quantity.

Ayra, Cecilia, and Fae all come to the top of my mind, since all three are quite strong, and very popular now. While those characters were pretty popular among those who played the games they came from, I doubt most people who play Heroes have played either Genealogy or Binding Blade. But now, much more people are aware of them, and like using them since they're so strong.

As for characters becoming less popular for being weak in Heroes, I sort of don't think this is really all that likely. People might not be fans of a character's representation in Heroes, but I don't see how not liking how a character is implemented in Heroes is going to change how people thought of the character in the original game. No one is like, "I was a fan of Florina in Blazing Blade, but then I played Heroes, where she was weak, and now I dislike her, even in Blazing Blade."

6 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

Yeah, people love their Ests. Nino was already popular before Heroes.

I love my Est. My Est is the bestest Est.