How many units should I use while playing this game ?

Started a similar thread a year ago asking about the units of FE7. Finished the game today after I had to put it on pause for school and decided to try my hands on FE6 which, to this day I still thought I couldn't play until I found the fan translation.

I know next to nothing about the game considering I never anticipated being able to play it, but it might be a reality! So here are the units I am considering using for this playthrough:

• Roy
  • Lilina
  • Thea
  • Lugh
  • Elen
  • Clarine
  • Sue
  • Gwendolyn
  • Ogier
  • Fir
  • Melady
  • Sophia
  • Geese
  • Lance
  • Cath (Thief)
  • Larum (Dancer)

There is a total of 14 units I plan on training to full potential, with Cath and Larum being used for other purposes (obviously thieving and dancing). Does this sound too much ? I used a slightly smaller roster in FE7 and ended up just fine, although I've heard FE6 is a bit harder than its GBA sisters.

Also, I think I saw somewhere that FE6 had paths A and B to choose from, but I haven't made much research on that point. Can anyone tell me if there's a difference in difficulty between the two ? 
Thanks, you guys!

1 minute ago, ExaltedViolinist said:

Started a similar thread a year ago asking about the units of FE7. Finished the game today after I had to put it on pause for school and decided to try my hands on FE6 which, to this day I still thought I couldn't play until I found the fan translation.

I know next to nothing about the game considering I never anticipated being able to play it, but it might be a reality! So here are the units I am considering using for this playthrough:

• Roy
  • Lilina
  • Thea
  • Lugh
  • Elen
  • Clarine
  • Sue
  • Gwendolyn
  • Ogier
  • Fir
  • Melady
  • Sophia
  • Geese
  • Lance
  • Cath (Thief)
  • Larum (Dancer)

There is a total of 14 units I plan on training to full potential, with Cath and Larum being used for other purposes (obviously thieving and dancing). Does this sound too much ? I used a slightly smaller roster in FE7 and ended up just fine, although I've heard FE6 is a bit harder than its GBA sisters.

Also, I think I saw somewhere that FE6 had paths A and B to choose from, but I haven't made much research on that point. Can anyone tell me if there's a difference in difficulty between the two ? 
Thanks, you guys!

• There's several route splits. You can find the info for the Islands split (Which gets you Echidna or Bartre) on the Serenes Forest site. The other major one is the Sacae/Illia route split in lategame. Basically if Sue+Shin's combined level is greater than Shanna/Tate then you go to sacae and vice-versa. Sacae's got you fighting speedy nomads and swordmasters and is a pain in hard mode. illia has status staves and ballistae and a shitload of terrain issues. however it's considered easier since the enemies are mostly peg knights/paladins and some bishops. 
  • Gwendolyn and Sophia are really, notoriously bad units in fe6. Unless you arena abuse, they're almost unusable. Like, you're better off using Niime for dark magic and then if you absolutely want a general then go with maybe Bors or just wait for Douglas. Armor KNights are complete crap in this game since the maps are huge.
  • Mounts are your friend in this game. 
  • Lugh and Lilina do the same thing. Perhaps you should think on using one of them and putting another paladin on your team. I'd recommend Alan since he's really good. Dieck's also amazing since he comes early. 
  • There's not much need for multiple healers to train unless you're arena abusing or you really like using them. Elen is really slow, so you're likely better off with Saul.

28 minutes ago, ExaltedViolinist said:

• Roy
  • Lilina
  • Thea
  • Lugh
  • Elen
  • Clarine
  • Sue
  • Gwendolyn
  • Ogier
  • Fir
  • Melady
  • Sophia
  • Geese
  • Lance
  • Cath (Thief)
  • Larum (Dancer)

Thanks, you guys!

I'm going to link you to a post I made on a group called Ft. Mangs, where I asked for advice to play the game, read the comments.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ftmangs/permalink/656027711410218/ If you can't click it then just copy it.

And my advice is:

1.- Alan and Lance are amazing, their support is even better.
2.- You don't get battle preparations until Chapter 6. So at the end of every chapter that has shops do the battle preps yourself and make sure everyone's                  inventory is how they should bewith ranged weapons if possible.
3.- Enemy units aren't like FE7 ones, in FE7 you could send someone like Sain alone and the next turn 12 enemies didn't exist anymore, in this game they are way                  stronger so you will need several units to kill 1 this is why you should use Marcus more agressively, sometimes having him kill 2 or 4 enemies is very useful.
4.- Don't bother with Sophia she isn't a good est 
5.- Cecilia is a good unit, she is pretty bad in the chapter she joins but she can be useful as a prepromote.
6.-  You called Lalum "Larum" you should check whihc translation you're playing, thebest one right now is on here on serenes forest that was posted in 2013, this is the         one I'm talking about:  https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/41095-fe6-localization-patch-v10-seriously-we-did-something/
7.- Be more defensive, in FE7 you could just play like whatever at least in ENM in FE6 you should be more careful since enemies are stronger.

Edited by This boi uses Nino

30 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

I'm going to link you to a post I made on a group called Ft. Mangs, where I asked for advice to play the game, read the comments.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ftmangs/permalink/656027711410218/ If you can't click it then just copy it.

And my advice is:

1.- Alan and Lance are amazing, their support is even better.
2.- You don't get battle preparations until Chapter 6. So at the end of every chapter that has shops do the battle preps yourself and make sure everyone's                  inventory is how they should bewith ranged weapons if possible.
3.- Enemy units aren't like FE7 ones, in FE7 you could send someone like Sain alone and the next turn 12 enemies didn't exist anymore, in this game they are way                  stronger so you will need several units to kill 1 this is why you should use Marcus more agressively, sometimes having him kill 2 or 4 enemies is very useful.
4.- Don't bother with Sophia she isn't a good est 
5.- Cecilia is a good unit, she is pretty bad in the chapter she joins but she can be useful as a prepromote.
6.-  You called Lalum "Larum" you should check whihc translation you're playing, thebest one right now is on here on serenes forest that was posted in 2013, this is the         one I'm talking about:  https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/41095-fe6-localization-patch-v10-seriously-we-did-something/
7.- Be more defensive, in FE7 you could just play like whatever at least in ENM in FE6 you should be more careful since enemies are stronger.

1- I'm still thorn whether I should use both of them or not. I like diversity in my classes mostly, but I've heard good things about this duo. I'll think about it some more!
2-3- Thanks for the tip!
4- I've heard that she becomes a pretty powerful unit once she catches up. Would that be a somewhat true statement ? 
5- Interesting. Considering I will probably dump Elen, she might come in handy later on.
6- I went with the names on a Fire Emblem wiki, I haven't started the game yet. Although I believe the copy I will receive is from the 2013 translation.
7- Got it, thanks!

36 minutes ago, Mister Rogers said:
  • There's several route splits. You can find the info for the Islands split (Which gets you Echidna or Bartre) on the Serenes Forest site. The other major one is the Sacae/Illia route split in lategame. Basically if Sue+Shin's combined level is greater than Shanna/Tate then you go to sacae and vice-versa. Sacae's got you fighting speedy nomads and swordmasters and is a pain in hard mode. illia has status staves and ballistae and a shitload of terrain issues. however it's considered easier since the enemies are mostly peg knights/paladins and some bishops. 
  • Gwendolyn and Sophia are really, notoriously bad units in fe6. Unless you arena abuse, they're almost unusable. Like, you're better off using Niime for dark magic and then if you absolutely want a general then go with maybe Bors or just wait for Douglas. Armor KNights are complete crap in this game since the maps are huge.
  • Mounts are your friend in this game. 
  • Lugh and Lilina do the same thing. Perhaps you should think on using one of them and putting another paladin on your team. I'd recommend Alan since he's really good. Dieck's also amazing since he comes early. 
  • There's not much need for multiple healers to train unless you're arena abusing or you really like using them. Elen is really slow, so you're likely better off with Saul.

1- I will definitely look that up. You got me curious with this information!
2- I guess that's my answer for Sophia. I'll see what I can replace Gwendolyn with, although armored units come in really handy as walls for opponents that hit hard. I'd love to have one on hands.
3- Got it!
4- Lilina is rather slow though, isn't she ? Lugh would be a cool, speedy mage to have in the backlines. I heard good things about Alan and Dieck as well; there's just so many units to pick from!
5- Got it; Elen has been dropped.

56 minutes ago, ExaltedViolinist said:

1- I'm still thorn whether I should use both of them or not. I like diversity in my classes mostly, but I've heard good things about this duo. I'll think about it some more!
2-3- Thanks for the tip!
4- I've heard that she becomes a pretty powerful unit once she catches up. Would that be a somewhat true statement ? 
5- Interesting. Considering I will probably dump Elen, she might come in handy later on.
6- I went with the names on a Fire Emblem wiki, I haven't started the game yet. Although I believe the copy I will receive is from the 2013 translation.
7- Got it, thanks!

2- I guess that's my answer for Sophia. I'll see what I can replace Gwendolyn with, although armored units come in really handy as walls for opponents that hit hard. I'd love to have one on hands.
3- Got it!
4- Lilina is rather slow though, isn't she ? Lugh would be a cool, speedy mage to have in the backlines. I heard good things about Alan and Dieck as well; there's just so many units to pick from!

1.- Diversity shouldn't be an issue, if a class like cavalier is really good then having a lot of cavaliers will make the game easier, if you went for diversity you would have to train the archers...
2.- Of course, I will give advice aslong as you need it.
3.- Sophia is a very bad unit, her bses are horrible and she is really hard to train but the truth is that it can kind off be very nice to have her later on, also watch this                          video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYudWEjwcj0
4.- Yeah but you do want a healer, Elen has really good Magic growth but such a low base Magic she will only be healing 11 at base with a heal saff so use saul because cecilia joins somewhat late
5.- oh sorry I might have been a little rude with how I phrased that 
6.- Did you read the Ft. Mangs comments?

1.- It is kinda complicated
2.- Don't bother wth any of the Knights, Fighters or Archers
3.- Mounts truly are your friends, you get like 5 of them
4.- Liina is super mega good, a lowly fire tome does like 20 damage lategame with her, imagine an Aircalibur, and she isn't that slow.
5.- Doesn't mean you shouldn't use her n the first chapters but lon term drop her

1 hour ago, ExaltedViolinist said:

2-3- Thanks for the tip!
7- Got it, thanks!

3- Got it!

I’ll address the points that I think are most important

1. There’s only one knight crest for quite a while. I prefer to only use one of Allen and Lance and drop the other, although they aren’t horrible with the late promotion, just outclassed. Oh, and every other for the candidate for the crest is a lot worse, particularly the knights

4. No. Whoever told you Sophia becomes powerful is either lying or is bad at FE6. Her start is one of the worst in the game (only one that’s worse is arguably Wendy), and her growths are bad overall. She has a low base and growth in HP, Speed, Luck, and Defense, and she has an awful base in skill and an average growth, with relatively inaccurate tomes. Her only “good” bases for her level are magic and resistance, and those are awful for Ch. 14, so they aren’t doing much for her.

5. Yeah, Cecilia is decent filler. I find she’s pretty bad combat wise (people hype up aircalibur, but her base skill is so bad her hit’s like in the 60’s any time she wants to use it which isn’t exactly reliable), but C staves w/ a mount is good, and her magic is better than Clarines (although that doesn’t mean it’s good)

1.  Generally it’s recommended to go route A (Echidna) and Ilia, although it’s not a big deal either way in normal mode.

2. Yeah, the problem with that is that Gwendolyn isn’t bulky. The other two knights are both bad as well (innacurate + slow is awful). Bulky units that are somewhat worth deploying are Miledy (whom you already plan on using), HM Zeiss (I imagine you’re doing NM though, so he’s not as good there), and Percival (prepromoted Paladin that joins later on and is very good even on normal mode). You really want a bulky unit, go Douglas, although he’s lategame and that’s about all he’s useful for

4. TBH neither of them are really good, but Lugh has a lot of time to get better before Lilina joins, and is significantly faster (especially when considering his level lead), which means on normal mode especially he can have an offensive lead on Lilina. Lilina hits kinda hard, but it takes forever for her offense to get better than chip and her defenses are awful. Not the worst but definitely not the greatest

5. Do make sure to use her before you get another healer though, not doing that would be a poor idea

Also this isn’t a response but do make sure to use chad and Ashtol to steal before you get Cath. Personally I’d recommend Ashtol over either of the other two thieves because they’re both really bad combat wise and Ashtol is actually workable (and he has actual bulk), but do what you want

47 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

1.- Diversity shouldn't be an issue, if a class like cavalier is really good then having a lot of cavaliers will make the game easier, if you went for diversity you would have to train the archers...
2.- Of course, I will give advice aslong as you need it.
3.- Sophia is a very bad unit, her bses are horrible and she is really hard to train but the truth is that it can kind off be very nice to have her later on, also watch this                          video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYudWEjwcj0
4.- Yeah but you do want a healer, Elen has really good Magic growth but such a low base Magic she will only be healing 11 at base with a heal saff so use saul because cecilia joins somewhat late
5.- oh sorry I might have been a little rude with how I phrased that 
6.- Did you read the Ft. Mangs comments?

1.- It is kinda complicated
2.- Don't bother wth any of the Knights, Fighters or Archers
3.- Mounts truly are your friends, you get like 5 of them
4.- Liina is super mega good, a lowly fire tome does like 20 damage lategame with her, imagine an Aircalibur, and she isn't that slow.
5.- Doesn't mean you shouldn't use her n the first chapters but lon term drop her

Most of this is fine, but....

Lilina is not super mega good. No unit with her start and her bulk will every be super mega good. Her fragility limits her contributions significantly, and on hard mode her speed somewhat compromises her lategame offense (on both modes it compromises her mid game contributions as well). She’s mediocre.

1 hour ago, Aut said:

Lilina is not super mega good. No unit with her start and her bulk will every be super mega good. Her fragility limits her contributions significantly, and on hard mode her speed somewhat compromises her lategame offense (on both modes it compromises her mid game contributions as well). She’s mediocre.

At least she ain't sophia. IN FE7 you get Lowen earlier than Sain or Kent bur that doesn't make him better, Lilina might be slow but most units in this game aren;t doubling and lugh isn't super fast either so in FE6 most of the time doing a lot of damage matters a whole lot more because you can't double as much as in FE7

I'd recommend Shin over Sue. He's meant to be the slower stronger of the two, but he's still so fast that he'll be doubling most units anyway so he just comes out being better all round. Especially with hard mode bonuses. Of course Sue is pretty great too, but if you use both of them you'll probably go to Sacae instead, which you might not want.

Okay so I read all of your helpful comments and I've rearranged my selection:

• Roy
  • Lilina
  • Lance
  • Tate
  • Lugh
  • Ellen -> Saul/Clarine
  • Sue
  • Oujay
  • Fir
  • Miredy
  • Ray
  • Geese
  • Dieck
  • Chad -> Asthol/Cath
  • Lalum
  • Merlinus

I'll admit, I'm a bit of a shallow player who also likes to pick characters that appear interesting to me. So I'm gonna stick with Sue on the Nomad choice.

Hmmm let's see. I've decided to stick with Saul/Clarine as healers (mostly the former) but I'll be using Ellen until I get one of them. I also replaced Sofiya with Ray; I think it makes for a decent choice, and his support with his brother might come in handy ? I added Dieck; he looks nice and apparently he's decent enough. Chad and/or Asthol shall be used as thieves until I get Cath.

Is Merlinus as good as he was in FE7 ? Never once did he really get me into trouble in FE7.

Edited by ExaltedViolinist

Ok, let me check this roster real quick.

• Roy - mandatory, so you should use him. Mid game he'll become useless, but don't worry about it.
  • Lilina - I like Lilina, also with Support from Roy she can get even more amazing. Worth it.
  • Lance - good choice, plus he also has support with Roy
  • Tate - I prefer Thany over her, she's not very good at the time she joins, but she sure has potential.
  • Lugh - usually running him until I receive Lilina, he's faster than her, but not hitting that hard. Has good support with his brothers.
  • Ellen -> Saul/Clarine - I don't have experience with Saul, but it doesn't matter who you pick as your healer. Clarine has an advantage in movement, but she won't use light tomes
  • Sue - Could easily worth it, she can be dodgy, the strength department might suffer.
  • Oujay - Dieck is a much easier choice if you want a Mercenary/Hero, but Oujay can also do the job
  • Fir - I'd say Rutger is better, but I like Fir better. Strongly advise to bring a Myrmidon with you, this game loves axe units.
  • Miredy - always good choice.
  • Ray - haven't played him, but that's because I used Niime or Sophia. Stay away from Sophia, it just makes the game much harder for you. Let me know how Ray worked.
  • Geese - Might have difficulty with hitting stuff early on, and not good when it comes to support. But he can become a beast.
  • Dieck - oh, didn't notice he's here. Well, all is good then. I'd say 
  • Chad -> Asthol/Cath - anything but Cath really. She comes too late and doesn't get good.
  • Lalum - dancers always welcome
  • Merlinus - just bench him when you can. He can't do much for you.

Wait, where Wendy? I'm sure she was on the list before? She also has good support with Lilina, kind of struggles at first, but she can be great in the late game(could also get screwed over, but oh well). Bors is the only better choice for armor knight.

Also you can consider using Rutger, Shin, Percival. Or make up your mind on the run. Some units are good from their joining time.

Edited by Garlyle

6 hours ago, Garlyle said:

Ok, let me check this roster real quick.

• Roy - mandatory, so you should use him. Mid game he'll become useless, but don't worry about it.
  • Lilina - I like Lilina, also with Support from Roy she can get even more amazing. Worth it.
  • Lance - good choice, plus he also has support with Roy
  • Tate - I prefer Thany over her, she's not very good at the time she joins, but she sure has potential.
  • Lugh - usually running him until I receive Lilina, he's faster than her, but not hitting that hard. Has good support with his brothers.
  • Ellen -> Saul/Clarine - I don't have experience with Saul, but it doesn't matter who you pick as your healer. Clarine has an advantage in movement, but she won't use light tomes
  • Sue - Could easily worth it, she can be dodgy, the strength department might suffer.
  • Oujay - Dieck is a much easier choice if you want a Mercenary/Hero, but Oujay can also do the job
  • Fir - I'd say Rutger is better, but I like Fir better. Strongly advise to bring a Myrmidon with you, this game loves axe units.
  • Miredy - always good choice.
  • Ray - haven't played him, but that's because I used Niime or Sophia. Stay away from Sophia, it just makes the game much harder for you. Let me know how Ray worked.
  • Geese - Might have difficulty with hitting stuff early on, and not good when it comes to support. But he can become a beast.
  • Dieck - oh, didn't notice he's here. Well, all is good then. I'd say 
  • Chad -> Asthol/Cath - anything but Cath really. She comes too late and doesn't get good.
  • Lalum - dancers always welcome
  • Merlinus - just bench him when you can. He can't do much for you.

Wait, where Wendy? I'm sure she was on the list before? She also has good support with Lilina, kind of struggles at first, but she can be great in the late game(could also get screwed over, but oh well). Bors is the only better choice for armor knight.

Also you can consider using Rutger, Shin, Percival. Or make up your mind on the run. Some units are good from their joining time.

Wendy (aka Gwendolyn) was on my initial list, but I was advised against her by other people! Agh, see, there's always subjectivity when it comes to making a party in FE games. 

Mmmh. You seem to be overall agreeing with my choices here. I might swap Lugh with Wendy when I get her and Lilina, but I'm still unsure. People seemed to really discourage my choice to pick Wendy. 

34 minutes ago, ExaltedViolinist said:

Wendy (aka Gwendolyn) was on my initial list, but I was advised against her by other people! Agh, see, there's always subjectivity when it comes to making a party in FE games. 

Mmmh. You seem to be overall agreeing with my choices here. I might swap Lugh with Wendy when I get her and Lilina, but I'm still unsure. People seemed to really discourage my choice to pick Wendy. 

Wendy is awful, easily bottom 2 unit if not the worst in the game, please don’t use her if it’s your first time playing FE6. She is basically objectively worse than Treck and Bors, one of whom is considered the worst cavalier (although not the worst unit by far), and the other one is considered one of the worst units in the game. Also I probably should comment on your list a bit more. Geese is bad, so is Lilina, so is Oujay, so is Ray, so is normal mode Fir, and Merlinus has a couple of cool strategies available to him but generally not worth deploying, especially if you haven’t played FE6 before. All of them are usable to an extent, especially on normal mode, but I would recommend any of them to a new FE6 player, they’re only going to make your life harder. If you really like them use them, but if you’re not super attached to them I’d drop them

the only units on your current list I'd say you'll have issues with are Lilina, Tate, Sue, and Geese. Lilina shows up with pretty bad bases and needs to be bird fed kills for her high magic growth to kick in, but she is also necessary to recruit some units (in an attempt to make her like Caeda), but neither are really worth the hassle anyways. Tate/Thea is just pretty mediocre when she shows up while her sister has probably solidified herself as one of your best units (if you've chosen to use her and especially if you've decided to early promote her) and not too long afterwards you'll get Melady and later on Zeiss whose start is much better as a flying tank. Sue will start off underwhelming, but is the best of the early game bow units. I would try her out to see how she's panning out and replace her with Shin or Klein if need be. As for Geese, well all of the axe-locked units in this game are bad mostly due to terrible hit. If you need a dedicated axe user for Armads an early promoted Dieck, Ogier/Oujay, Echidna, or hell even Bartre (although he might be better off using bows) will do the job fine if you put the work in to raise their ranks (you'll have a much easier time with Echidna in this case).

That's pretty nice but in the end I advise you to use whoever doesn't give you trouble, if Alan and Lance are helpful keep them, if Rutger git better than Dieck use Rutger, if Wendy somehow got a lot of defense (Which is why she sucks, she has great speed but low defense and is stuck with 4-5 movement, she can double stuff but it takes so long and she does very little damage and takes a lot, if you ever manage her defense past 15 then that's some dedication, barth and bors are also very bad) then I guess use her.

11 hours ago, ExaltedViolinist said:

The team needs a lot of training, but it's possible. Wendy IS difficult to use at the beginning, because he can't tank too much as other generals, and her training might take a very long time, but once she gets promoted, she can do wonders.

As to what others say about the other units: Geese is bad? Hitting at the beginning can be difficult, but he's one of the better unit when it comes to axes. Thany and Tate are both good, Thany is better because of her availablity, however with bad luck she can suffer in strength. Aaand, I don't really care what others say about Lilina, supports make her very strong.

But use as many units as you can in the early game, because that's very difficult.

11 hours ago, ExaltedViolinist said:

The major problem with Wendy is that its just hard to level her up given her base stats and Axeland being literally the next few chapters. She can certainly turn out good though (or at least capable to survive), if you have the patience to level her up (especially during Chapter 8x so she can survive Axeland more easily). She'll turn out to be pretty strong after promotion.

So it just really depends on how determined you are to train Wendy. Its been a long time since I've played FE6 but I remember just boss abusing the boss guy in Chapter 8 to level up Wendy to level 7 and having her and Lilina kill a good chunk of the enemies in Chapter 8x. It made her time in Axeland much easier. I also gave her Boots after her promotion to make up for her lack of movement.

On 6/29/2018 at 6:40 AM, ExaltedViolinist said:
  • Roy
  • Lilina
  • Lance
  • Tate
  • Lugh
  • Ellen -> Saul/Clarine
  • Sue
  • Oujay
  • Fir
  • Miredy
  • Ray
  • Geese
  • Dieck
  • Chad -> Asthol/Cath
  • Lalum
  • Merlinus

Wait what. No Alan? I think it would be a better idea to use both Alan and Lance and also have them support each other (which doesn't take super long iirc). It makes them both pretty unstoppable, imo.

Although you're going to use Sue, its not a bad idea to use Shin either. They're both pretty good and you can also have them support each other to make them more stronger.

Should let you know that, from what I've experienced, Lugh has higher Speed while Lilina has higher Mag. So maybe you can use them both, or only use one depending on whether you want a strong mage or speedy mage. Though I would pick Lilina if only because of her supports with Roy (who's deployed in every chapter since he's the lord).

Oujay should be unnecessary if you're using Dieck, but you do you. 

I would recommend Rutger since he's an excellent Myrmidon, but Fir is decent too. I would also suggest you use Gonzalez for being a good Axe user with high Speed and Strength, though his Skill sucks so it can make it difficult for him to hit units. 

On 6/29/2018 at 6:40 AM, ExaltedViolinist said:

Hmmm let's see. I've decided to stick with Saul/Clarine as healers (mostly the former) but I'll be using Ellen until I get one of them. I also replaced Sofiya with Ray; I think it makes for a decent choice, and his support with his brother might come in handy ? I added Dieck; he looks nice and apparently he's decent enough. Chad and/or Asthol shall be used as thieves until I get Cath.

Is Merlinus as good as he was in FE7 ? Never once did he really get me into trouble in FE7.

Clarine is a good choice to use due to her being a mount and having high speed. Her only problem is her low Mag.

Compared to Wendy, Sophia is much harder to use and she turns out somewhat medicore in the end anyways. So yeah, Raigh and Niime are far better choices.

Don't use Merlinus since he takes up a deployment slot in this game and can only gain experience by getting hit by an enemy. 

Thank you all for your input! I've been reading a lot of 'Rate this unit' threads on this forum and I've rearranged the party a bit. I think I should be good. I've got a good mix of generally favored characters, as well as a few personal favorites that might be a bit subpar. 

Edited by ExaltedViolinist