Cirosan

Shadow Dragon - Full Content Patch - v1.2 released 7/8/18

Shadow Dragon - Full Content Patch

This is a merged patch of all my (Cirosan's) previous mods for Shadow Dragon - it combines the Prologue in Hard Mode, Updated Gaiden Requirements Removal, Online Shop Items Integrated into Normal Gameplay, and Always Recruit Norne patches into one. This allows the player to recruit all units, experience all chapters, access all classes, and use the game's full inventory without content being locked behind death requirements, difficulty level, or the now-defunct Online Shop.

As an added bonus, this patch also comes with a variant that updates certain unit graphics and battle background graphics to their FE12 versions; comparison screenshots can be found on the download page. In general, the FE12 graphics use a slightly brighter color palette and make the black outline around units less noticeable.

Finally, this mod includes a version which includes Arch's Sync Patch. This patch updates growth rates, class stats, and weapons to use their FE12 stats; however, it makes the game considerably easier than intended, as the FE12 statistics for these things were balanced for an entirely different game. Still, the option is provided here for those who would prefer it. Note that the Sync Patch includes the FE12 graphical update.

NB: All patches have a glitch on flashcarts - WHICH DOES NOT HAPPEN ON EMULATORS, ONLY FLASHCARTS - that will cause a softlock during the decoy cutscene in Prologue 4. This can be worked around by playing past that section on emulator (such as Desmume) and copying the save file back to the flashcart. The game will function perfectly on flashcarts after this section.

The combined patch without any extras is FE11FCP.xdelta.

The combined patch with the FE12 graphical updates is FE11FCPWithGraphics.xdelta.

The combined patch with Arch's Sync Patch is FE11FCPWithSyncPatch.xdelta.

USE ONLY ONE PATCH.

This was made using the US version of FE11, so you should use an .nds file from that region.

Installation:

1. If you have not already, download the Delta Patcher utility here: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/704/

2. Obtain an unmodified ROM of FE11. I cannot help you do this.

3. Extract DeltaPatcherLite.exe, your unmodified .nds file of FE11, and EITHER FE11FCP.xdelta OR FE11FCPWithGraphics.xdelta OR FE11FCPWithSyncPatch.xdelta to the same folder. DO NOT USE MORE THAN ONE.xdelta FILE; CHOOSE ONLY ONE. The difference is explained above.

4. Open DeltaPatcherLite.exe.

5. Click the "Open" button for the "Original file" box and select the unmodified .nds file of FE11.

6. Click the "Open" button for the "XDelta patch" box and select EITHER FE11FCP.xdelta OR FE11FCPWithGraphics.xdelta OR FE11FCPWithSyncPatch.xdelta.

7. Click the "Apply Patch" button. Users with older PCs may have to wait a few moments.

8. Your previously unmodified file, which you selected in step 5 as the "Original file", is the patched ROM you should now use.

Download here

Download DeltaPatcher from here (you need this to apply the patch to your ROM)

Your original ROM's checksums should be:

Original CRC32: 4CE55236
Original MD5: 5B7A037DFF5A904078404922642A01E8
Original SHA-1: 5174FBAB0C159CE247CCF133A8103B79FAE1435F

If you don't know what those are, this website can explain:
http://onlinemd5.com/

Patched values for FE11FCP.xdelta:

Patched MD5       FA44BC145D5F31841B9B621777AF7940        
Patched SHA-1     936E44BDB563077FFAF426C10236AB0DD76232DB
Patched CRC32     909FB0EA                                

Patched values for FE11FCPWithGraphics.xdelta:

Patched MD5       E9048ECEB3319661DE525BE60AFA848D        
Patched SHA-1     F92BD90A3603E35C4F9DB17974B9B929677F4545
Patched CRC32     07EE5AC4                                

Patched values for FE11FCPWithSyncPatch.xdelta:

Patched MD5       D2C4C612C6F1DFCE2F9D9B04ADBA225E        
Patched SHA-1     8B8D5CFDED647797EB3CD7DF000F072D50BB00AA
Patched CRC32     28A351FF

Credits and Acknowledgments:

- Robert of Normandy a.k.a. RobertTheSable for their Gaiden Requirements Removal Patch. Permission was given to incorporate this patch into other hacks here:
https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/51430-fe-shadow-dragon-gaiden-requirements-removal-patch/&do=findComment&comment=3665588
- Blazer for their suite of Shadow Dragon hacking tools, which can be found here:
http://www.feshrine.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=422&p=85130
- Mariode for their update to said suite of tools, which can be found here:
https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/66930-fe-shadow-dragon-unit-disposition-editor-modules-itemclass-editor-update/
- SadNES cITy Translations for their Delta Patcher tool, which can be found here:
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/704/
- The FE Subreddit Discord, for balance advice and suggestions for item placement; thanks in particular go to Wishes, Hype, Krash, and Nino4999
- RookofSpades, Golddragon387, and Kruggov for their dutiful playtesting of the Norne patch
- Arch for his Sync Patch, incorporated as an optional variant of the patch
- Will and Sam for their inexplicably continued friendship

Have fun!
- Ciro

Edited by Cirosan

Can I just say thank you so much for this.

Shadow Dragon was one of my first FE games and a game hat I hold dear and the fact that I can now experience everything in one playthrough (minus the sacrifice, RIP Frey) just makes me so happy.

Now I have something to do for the summer anyway.

Thanks again :)

I got an error using the patch with Archs synch patch.

[7:56:14 PM] An error has occurred: xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT

Does this mean the Rom is invalid? Or is it something else?

2 hours ago, Dandragon said:

I got an error using the patch with Archs synch patch.

[7:56:14 PM] An error has occurred: xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT

Does this mean the Rom is invalid? Or is it something else?

I'm unable to replicate this glitch, and judging by the error message, you're using the wrong ROM. Make sure the ROM - BEFORE you patch it, just completely unaltered - matches these values and use the linked website to check:

Original CRC32: 4CE55236
Original MD5: 5B7A037DFF5A904078404922642A01E8
Original SHA-1: 5174FBAB0C159CE247CCF133A8103B79FAE1435F

http://onlinemd5.com/

I've updated the patch so that no enemies in Prologue 1 scale up, and only two of the enemies in Prologue 2 scale up - 3 and 4 have everyone scaled, but by then you'll have an army of five, a cache of vulneraries, and be in an outside map with lots of terrain to play with.

This update also includes a fix to glitched Pegasus Knight animations in the FE11FCPWithGraphics.xdelta variant.

I've uploaded a fixed version to RH.net, but they take a while to process updates, so you can find the fixed version here until then:

EDIT: Update live on RH.net page

APPLY THIS TO A CLEAN ROM; DON'T APPLY IT TO YOUR ALREADY-PATCHED ROM.

Also, existing saves are compatible, but I would restart the current chapter you're on - load the save made after you clear one chapter and before the next starts.

Edited by Cirosan

Awesome work. I wanted to help playtest this, but never really had the time. Sorry about that (probably wouldn't have made much of a difference anyway).

Crashing on Prologue 4 decoy scene on Normal difficulty. Trying to see what's causing it.

2 hours ago, JamesBCrazy said:

Crashing on Prologue 4 decoy scene on Normal difficulty. Trying to see what's causing it.

Please specify which version of the patch you're using, and provide a save file for me to test with. Also try other variants of the patch and see if they work - your save file is compatible between patches; just restart the current chapter (load the save made after the last chapter ended and before the next chapter began).

Okay, I did a little more testing on both Desmume and my flashcart (DSTWO).

On patch version 1.0, the game softlocks at the decoy scene (when the enemy soldier talks to the captain.) Skipping the cutscene does not help.

On 1.1, the game softlocks on flashcart, but not on emulator.

I'll keep trying and see if I can find out what's actually causing this.

Edit. The issue i was having was resolved. Now i'm just wondering why none of the stats i encountered so far have changed to the fe12 versions when using the sync patch

Edited by bcbbb

This is pretty neat, I'm so glad I can play FE11 with the FE12 map sprites without having player units with their FE12 growths. That was so broken and made the game way too easy.

I haven't played this yet but I have one question, are playable ballistae still red? Because that triggered me a lot in the sync patch. 

You have done the Lord's work, good sir. I'll admit I probably like Shadow Dragon a fair bit more than most, but having all it's inane flaws fixed up is going to be great. I'll definitely be showing this off to my (very small) Twitch audience! Thanks for all the work you've been putting into this, and congratulations on finally finishing all of it!

EDIT: Found a minor graphical bug while streaming it where Cain's critical animation made the game freak out. This was done on Version 1.1 on Brutal/Hard 2 difficulty, in DeSmuME 0.9.8. This is using the patch that includes the graphical updates but not the Sync Patch (FE11FCPWithGraphics). See the glitch in action below:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/281670448

Edited by MegaTheGamer

I remember playing with the sync patch and the recruitable ballistae were still red (since FE12 has no allied ones). Did you fix this with the graphical update?

A major update is now available on the download page which, among other things, addresses the problem with red friendly ballisticians. Shamelessly copying from the changelog:

- Fixed a major bug with battle animations in the FE11FCPWithGraphics variant
- Friendly ballisticians will no longer appear red in the FE11FCPWithGraphics and FE11FCPWithSyncPatch variants
- All patches will no longer trim ROMs and leave them at the original 64mb size to be compatible with certain emulators

Barring further issues, this should be the last update for this patch. Famous last words, I know.

Oh, and pinging for convenience - @MegaTheGamer, this update fixes the animation glitch you found. I'm glad you were able to laugh it off in the Twitch clip; I've seen much angrier reactions to glitches.

Edited by Cirosan

Oh hey, thanks for the heads-up. I don’t think was another response but to laugh it off, lol. No point getting angry about a glitch, especially one so minor. As long as they don’t corrupt my saves or something, I just find them funny.

Sorry that the thread is a little bit old by now, but was the culprit behind the softlock ever identified?