Best 10 units for each path?

So I've read that 10 units is the max amount you can bring to the endgame areas. Or maybe I could possibly split 5 from Alm's Path and 5 from Celica's path. Either or, I don't really know how to the post-game stuff works yet.

Just wondering, which 10 units is best from each path or 5 units from each path that are worth focusing my leveling/grinding towards. 

You should be fine no matter who you chose as long as they are leveled up enough, but here are all the units I used.

Alm's Path: Alm, Gray, Tobin, Kliff, Faye, Luthier, Lukas,  Zeke, Mathilda

Celica's Path: Celica, Saber, Genny, Mae, Valbar, Jesse, Est, Sonya, Conrad

Edited by KevinskyHaaz
grammatical error

In SoV you can use every unit in maps but you are limited to 10 in dungeons and also End Game. So really use anyone you like. You can always grind if someone tickles your fancy since SoV has infinite grinding via dungeons. However, for list of some of the better units (IMO), mainly for Hard Mode, on Normal Mode, do whatever you want (Excluding Alm and Celica since they are mandatory):

Alm's Route: Mercenary!Gray, Mage!Tobin, Cleric!Faye, Silque, Clair, Python, Mathilda, Tatiana, Zeke

Celica's Route: Mae, Genny, Saber, Kamui, Leon, Palla, Catria, Dean, Conrad

^Kliff is a better mercenary than Gray.  Mostly agree with you otherwise, though.

Alm's Route: Mercenary!Kliff, Archer!Gray, Mage!Tobin, Cleric!Faye, Silque, Clair, Python, Mathilda, Tatiana

Celica's Route: Mae, Genny, Saber, Kamui, Leon, Palla, Catria, Archer!Atlas, Dean

2 hours ago, Refa said:

^Kliff is a better mercenary than Gray.  Mostly agree with you otherwise, though.

Alm's Route: Mercenary!Kliff, Archer!Gray, Mage!Tobin, Cleric!Faye, Silque, Clair, Python, Mathilda, Tatiana

Celica's Route: Mae, Genny, Saber, Kamui, Leon, Palla, Catria, Archer!Atlas, Dean

I can see Kliff being a better merc then Gray, in general though, every merc is good in this game since DFs are just so broken, but Gray being a good archer is just a no IMO. He has the worst skill growth out of the three male villagers in a game where Archers are very inaccurate. The only archer worth using on Alm's route is Python, mainly because of his speed and how he takes off later on, but Gray never really takes off as an archer. IMO, merc is Tray's only good option with cav being a very ify second.

As for archer!Atlas, same deal, but worse. He has the same skill problem and has even worse speed then Gray. Plus he comes a bit late with a lot of catching up to do. Unless you back track to the Seabound Shrine and grind Atlas, he will fall behind when Leon is a perfectly good archer on his own. Atlas does get better once he is fully promoted thanks to his high strength and the Hunter's Bow, but that is just a slog to get to when you could be using better characters or using him as a merc which, like Gray, fixes all his problems.

Units I found more effective generally:

Alm's route: the villagers, Silque, Clair, Mathilda, Delthea, Tatiana
Celica's route: Mae, Boey, Genny, Saber, Leon, Palla, Catria, Sonya (or Deen), uhh one of Kamui/Jesse/Est/Conrad, I don't know.

• 3 weeks later...

Realistically, any of them will work as long as they aren't weak as sh*t.

For me:

Alm: Alm, Baron!Tobin, Sage!Kliff, DreadFighter!Gray, Clair, Lukas, and Saint!Faye were my core. I eventually grinded up Delthea because Luthier just wasn't working and we were really in need of a Magic user. Clive is blind and always died until he promoted, where he was slightly better. Mathilda is good early on, but she started to fall behind later. Zeke eventually surpassed both of them but he, like Clive, can't see for sh*t and became a liability on tougher foes. I had kept Silque around but Tatiana outclassed her when I recruited her. Forsyth was average (not amazing but rarely died) and Python always died. In the strangest turn of events, I ended up in the final dungeon with my core, Delthea, Silque and Python (he actually ended up promoting and gitting gud, and I felt obligated to take Silque, who also ended up promoting but Tatiana was honestly the better unit and I would have probably taken her over Silque if not for feeling emotionally obligated to after dragging her around for most of the game).

Celica: Celica, Boey, Mae, Genny, Saber, Jesse, Kamui, Conrad, Leon, and Valbar pretty much didn't change. I used Sonia for a while and Est when she could squeeze in (I missed getting Catria and Palla and Atlas for that matter), but it finally occurred to me that Sonia was trash and she was just taking up space, when I went in Dungeons and found much more success with Conrad. Leon was much like Python but was a much better unit overall and was gud way before the endgame. The only unit who didn't put in all that much work was Valbar, but it was to be expected.

Generally, I had a much easier time with Celica's units than Alm's. While Alm's could get kills easier and battles were faster, it was generally only a handful who could while the rest were just fodder. Celica's route was more rounded in that all of them were useful and could work together to chip down enemies and grind up weaker units, something that was much harder for me on Alm's path and made half of the team pretty overpowered and the others tough to work with if they died before the could kill and get EXP. But, as I said in the start, any unit can be good if you put enough grinding into them and this is also true for whatever classes you put the villagers in. Python is a living example of this (to this day it floors me how he ended up in the final battle and NOT DYING ON TURN 3).

Edited by Landmaster

I honestly only train 10 units on each route just because you are limited with how many units can go into dungeons (and also so I don't have to grind everyone). On my playthroughs I have been using these units...

Alm's Army: Alm, Mercenary!Gray, Mage/Tobin, Archer!Kliff, Cleric!Faye, Archer!Lukas (Pitchforked), Clair, Silque/Tatiana (Silque is used until Tatiana is recruited), Delthea (I believe spending some time to grind levels for her is worth it), Mathilda/Zeke (I only use Zeke if Mathilda gets killed then I use a pitchfork on him to help him gain more levels)

Celica's Army: Celica, Mae, Archer!Boey (Pitchforked), Genny, Saber, Kamui, Leon, Palla, Catria, Valbar/Deen/Sonya (I usually alternate between Deen and Sonya though Sonya requires more grinding for her to get good. Valbar is usually used as an honorary 11th unit in non-dungeon maps).

If you are talking about Chapter 6's dungeon then...

Alm, Celica/Delthea (depends who I am in the mood for), Catria, Palla/Clair (depends on who has better stats at endgame), Archer!Kliff, Archer!Lukas, Archer!Boey, Cleric!Faye, Saber, Tatiana