We're there swords that had ranges?

Harvey

You mean without being thrown or being a two-in-one weapon like the Pistol Swords?

In a way. Zweihänders can be over 2 meters long. That's range. However, I don't think there really swords that could be used in the FE definition of ranged weapon... again, without being thrown or being combined with another weapon like a gun.

For me, I didn't saw any problems about sword-locked units with commonly sword range 1 (except magical sword).

In realistic, sword is not a throwing weapon. If needed to implemented sword that may have similar manners like hand-axe or javelin in the World of Fire Emblem, perhaps Shotel may able to fill the role.

IIRC swords have always been pricy to make. There aren't many (if any) throwing swords because that would be a whole lot of money to just be thrown and potentially not be able to pick back up. The closest thing to it are throwing knives.

Also, more so than other weapons, swords are named and believed to have been forged with a special power in mind, and this happens over many different cultures. For example, Excalibur or the Muramasa blades. Throwing it like it's disposable can be seen as disrespectful to the sword, all who may have wielded it before you, and the bladesmith who forged it. 

It would be cool to have some sort of ranged sword weapon though. I would like the return of magic swords.

None that I can think of besides the afore mentioned pistol swords, however there were manuals on how to throw your sword. I find this interesting because you wouldn't think one would throw their sword. Very interesting indeed. The only other swords that were ranged were the Zweihander and similar greatswords. These swords WERE BEASTS. They were basically a polearm, from pommnell to sword tip they could be as tall as a man, taller if you're shorter. Addittionally I read they were effective at breaking up pike formations. You would definatly have a reach advantage with this kind of sword.

Personally I would like to see the magic swords return (beyond just the Levin Sword/Thunder Sword/Bolt Sword) I really like them, in Radiant Dawn you had the Wind Edge with it's upgrades the Storm Edge and Tempest Blade. The GBA games had the Light Brand, etc. In FE4 you had the best application of the magic swords in that THERE WAS ONE FOR EVERY ELEMENT. Fire Sword, Lightning Sword, Wind Sword, Light Brand, Earth Sword (basically it did the Nosferartu spell which looked awesome) I would like to see all five of these swords return. I just would like to see them adjusted so that you don't need a really good magic stat to make good use of them as seems to be the case in recent games. Especially when there are so many legends of ordinary people using magic swords, it's never the wizard using it or something like that. But then in Fire Emblem if you don't have a good magic stat you won't use it very well, while a good magic stat helped in FE4 you did not need much magic at all to make use of it. I don't know if this is because lower stats all around or what.

Edited by SavageVolug

3 hours ago, SavageVolug said:

But then in Fire Emblem if you don't have a good magic stat you won't use it very well, while a good magic stat helped in FE4 you did not need much magic at all to make use of it. I don't know if this is because lower stats all around or what.

That's because in FE4 they do physical damage at range 1 and magical damage at range 2, something I'd like to see on Eyvel if she gets into Heroes with her fire sword

As for real life, I dunno. There are two swords in FE I can think of that are actually thrown though: Kodachi from Fates and Awakening Ragnell.

Edited by Arcphoenix

Long story short: It's possible, and more accurate and damaging than you'd think. However, you're also throwing away your weapon, which is always a bad idea in a fight, and it's pretty obvious and easy to dodge/block if you/your opponent know(s) that it's coming.

Throwing a sword at the bad guys back would be a pretty climactic way to finish them off, though.

Also, it's "were" not "we're".