Did You Ever Beat Event Match 51?

a bit of a random topic, but while I was doing some work I put a couple of YT videos on in the background and I was listening to Scott The Wozz. He was talking about Melee and it reminded me of event match 51.

I remember only beating it a couple of years ago with Jigglypuff, well it was more or less me using rest on Gigga Bowser and just floating around the two other characters.

So were you ever able to beat the event?

Personally, at this point, I only remember that it was beaten. I don't remember if it was me, my brother, my cousin, or my mother's cousin who did it, since it was us four who played it together back in the day.

Yeah. I used Fox, and mostly spammed Fire Fox until Giga Bowser was in KO range, then once he was out, I spammed lasers to break Mewtwo and Dorf's shields (or force them into breaking their shields, to be more accurate), since trying to face them straight up never seemed to work. 

I have beaten event 51 in melee but that was such a long time ago that I don't exactly remember everything except I think I tricked Giga Bowser into self-destructing himself and then trying to fight Mewtwo or Ganondorf one-on-one and making sure the other one stayed away. I know I spent weeks trying to beat it.

I only remember it being difficult as a kid. You've got three stocks to work with and against such timid AI that's a lot of room for error. Giga Bowser and Ganondorf have virtually no recovery if you just edgehog, and Mewtwo's extremely easy to KO. The hardest Event Match is the Final Battle in Smash 4's Co-op board. You and a partner must defeat all 51 characters with one stock on Battlefield, max of two at a time. Their AI is not at a high level, but even mid level CPUs in Smash 4 will perfect shield and air dodge at least 30 percent of your attacks. And unlike humans they don't panic air dodge when you approach them offstage. So it's a lot of luck to secure KOs even though your attack power is increased by about 50%. I personally picked Lucario and tried to hang back with Aura Sphere cheesing kills at long range once I was at kill percent. But no matter what we did we could only get about halfway on the hardest difficulty, and finished Normal difficulty after several attempts.

I think Scott overestimates how much it takes to 100% Melee. The only unreasonable challenge I remember from the game is the Diskun trophy which I almost gave up on. To get it, you must earn every title through versus matches and 1 player modes. And it's only unreasonable in the sense that you better look up a guide to see what your missing. Mewtwo's unlock condition is only notorious for us kids not being able to leave the Gamecube on for 20 hours since our game systems were hooked up to the living room television that other family members no doubt want to use. Nowadays I expect today's kids to not even know what a living room is, much less relate to there being just one tv in your house and it being the only center for entertainment. Brawl and Smash 4 dwarf Melee's 100% criteria, and I still have failed to finish either. In Brawl I remember failing to beat Boss Rush on the hardest difficulty. In Smash 4 it's those damned Mii headgear pieces that won't show up.

Edited by Glennstavos

Yeah, used to go back and beat it again for funsies every now and then. Pretty sure I did it with at least Roy, Captain Falcon, and Link, who were my best guys in Melee. I think the hardest challenge in that game was the one to beat an entire mode (could be classic, adventure, or all-star) without taking a single hit.

28 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I only remember it being difficult as a kid. You've got three stocks to work with and against such timid AI that's a lot of room for error. Giga Bowser and Ganondorf have virtually no recovery if you just edgehog, and Mewtwo's extremely easy to KO. The hardest Event Match is the Final Battle in Smash 4's Co-op board. You and a partner must defeat all 51 characters with one stock on Battlefield, max of two at a time. Their AI is not at a high level, but even mid level CPUs in Smash 4 will perfect shield and air dodge at least 30 percent of your attacks. And unlike humans they don't panic air dodge when you approach them offstage. So it's a lot of luck to secure KOs even though your attack power is increased by about 50%. I personally picked Lucario and tried to hang back with Aura Sphere cheesing kills at long range once I was at kill percent. But no matter what we did we could only get about halfway on the hardest difficulty, and finished Normal difficulty after several attempts.

In events, you can use custom gear, including stuff that heals you by 15% if you get a kill, so it's not too hard to stay healthy for most of the fight unless you're goofing up a lot. The AI is also really dumb about landing on the platforms, so you can usually just run underneath them and up-smash when they enter. It always seemed to me that in both that event and All-Star mode, the AI gets progressively better, so some of the cheesier tricks won't work as easily.

I've never done it legitimately. Years ago, a friend came over and did the Master Hand glitch for that event. Despite trying back in (i think) 2016, I still couldn't beat it.

Yup, one of few games I've legitimately 100%ed. Getting the special messages and the point-based rewards were what took the longest, but they were some of the most fun. The no damage clear took me quite a while to get right, even on Very Easy. Switzerland was the funniest reward I got by accident, if I remember right, giant DK KO'd himself in Adventure mode before I could even attack, and I got Switzerland.

I never gotten to that point because I was having a hard time beating one of those event matches. I don't remember which one.