Would An Ice Age Make For An Interesting Apocalypse?

Captain Karnage

So I've been putting together a plot skeleton for a story I've begun, and part of this story is that in what happened before in the is that a powerful wizard faced off against a god from another world who had been trapped in this realm for hundreds of years, with all of his power left a sword. During the climax of those events the god began The Melding, an event that would merge this world with his own causing unknown destruction, the powerful wizard uses an artifact that will allow him to drain the world's aether to himself, knowing that the blast created by it will kill the god, however he is unsure how much damage it will cause to his world. The resulting activation of his artifact, and the blast caused the aether in the world to go haywire witch caused an ice age to begin destroying most of the world's northern and southern hemispheres

There's not much I really feel I can go on, other than the story is about a group a mages who are trying to reset the aether in hopes of ending the ice age. that's essentially the premise, as a majority of the story is them traveling to locations where the aether is strong, and they see the creatures that were created as a result of the event, and what's happened to the cities in the north.

What are your thoughts on having an ice age as the Apocalypse? 

Ice ages make for good apocalypse stories since they effectively wipe out a large amount of species that can't adapt, screw with the oceans and atmosphere, and easily paint a reason for resource scarcity for the cast of characters (which is a strong driving force for character action).

As someone who teaches Earth Science, I don't really care for silly wizard vs god stuff, but you do you

Honestly, that sound like a great premise. A road trip through the apocalipse can be very interesting if done well. Examples include Fallout, The Road, or radient historia (where the deserirtification is in the process of occurring, and the characters journey around the continent trying to stop it). The ways that slowly advancing desertification affected the world (notably a war for what is left) make for a very compelling narrative. Of course, radient historia has more to it than that, but with some fleshing out an ice age would work great.

Just make sure that all that stuff about the god and the melding becomes relevant to the main story in some way, and is given to the reader in an interesting way. Don't just infodump your backstory. If details don't improve your narative, cut them out. Most writers leave out most of their worldbuilding. The Road intentionaly does not tell us how all the plant life on earth died. All that matters is that it happened. In Radient historia, some detail is given about how the fallen empire caused desertification, but only as much as the story needs to give us to give context to the plot, and only when it is relevent. A good way to include it would be to start the book with the final fight between the wizard and the god, but don't include most of the background information (instead giving that slowly over the course of the book is it becomes relevant to the plot).

THAT sounds like a very interesting premise for an apocalyptic setting! I think there's a lot you can do with that, and it would change things up from either the desert setting or after math effects of some nuclear war or explosion.

Oh, this sounds awesome!! I personally find it very interesting, especially because an Ice Age is hardly ever used as an apocalypse idea, and when it is, it somehow does not involve traveling, so they barely show some small setting and how it changed, while also hardly ever explaining in detail just how everybody deals with it.

Like, for example, one of my favorite movies is 12 Monkeys and I was always so curious about that apocalyptic future they barely showed, and the surface, and I always thought not everybody could have made it underground but some had to had done something to survive up there with the cold and snow, and the animals and the ruins.

Please expand on the settings and how the people in it are living when you write your story! And wizards are my thing, so I do care for them :lol: