Planning my first FE4 AAAA Rank Run

gjuptonv

I'm trying to plan out my Gen I pairings and am a bit stuck. In what ways can I improve what I have here?

Pairings (Gen I):
Sigurd (Seliph)            Deidre (Julia)               Quan (Altena)            Ethlyn (Leaf)
- Silver Sword              - Money                         - Gae Bolg                   - Light Brand
- Thunder Sword                                                - Silver Lance             - Return Ring
- Skill Ring                                                                                                - Pursuit Ring
- Speed Ring
- Shield Ring                                                                                      
- Elite Ring                                                                                               
- Leg Ring

Midir (Lester)             Aideen (Mana)              Ayra (Larcei)             Lex (Ulster)
- Brave Bow                - Recover                         - Flame sword           - Silver Blade
- Killer Bow                 - Warp                              - Steel Blade              - Money
                                     - Extra Stave(s)              - Effetive Sword         

Beowulf (Delmud)     Raquesis (Nanna)        Sylvia (Leen)             Dew (Corple)
- Shield Sword             - Heal                             - Prayer Sword           - Money
- Thief Sword               - Mend                           - Knight Ring
- Power Ring                - Extra Stave(s)

Fury (Fee)                 Claude (Ced)                   Bridget (Faval)          Holyn (Patty)             
- Brave Lance            - Valkyrie                          - Yewfelle                    - Sleep Sword        
- Steel Lance             - Reserve                          - Silver Bow                - Brave Sword
 - Javelin                    - Elf-tome                                                              - Bargain Ring                  
- Wind Sword            - Elf-tome    
- Steel Sword
- Barrier Ring                   

Taillte (Tinny)          Lewyn (Arthur)             ******************Finn*******************
- Elf-tome                    - Forseti                             - Silver Lance
- Magic Ring               - Elf-Tome                          - Javelin

EDIT 1:

a. Swapped Shield Ring from Delmud to Seliph
b. Swapped Finn's Brave Lance with Fury's Silver Lance
c. Swapped Dew!Ayra and Lex!Sylvia to Lex!Ayra and Dew!Sylvia
c. Added Knight Ring to Sylvia
d. Added Reserve to Claude

Edited by gjuptonv

Went and looked at my old run. I've dropped my inheritance/pairings table in a spoiler at the end if you're interested, and you can probably do pretty fine with nearly any setup if you're not pushing for much past the baseline rank requirements. However, let me suggest my opinion on a couple of things:

Ayra's Brave Sword should really be given to Sigurd to pass down to Celice, imo. I guess Delmud isn't a terrible choice, as he's also there from the getgo, but my strategy involved pushing Celice way ahead of everybody and trying to promote ASAP, which probably isn't actually needed. He'll really want a magic sword (any of them really) for range, and the Life Ring for healing if you go that route. I mostly loaded Celice up with all my extra rings and swords just so he could have spare cash, tbh.

I disagree with leaving the Brave Lance on Finn, because then you miss out on using it all of Chapter 6, and can't pass it around for the Chapter 7 arena unless you hold off on doing that until the end of the chapter, instead of the beginning.

Who do you give the Bargain and Knight rings to? I don't see you list them anywhere. Same with the Earth Sword, Defense Sword, and Thief Sword.

Name:     Money Equip
Sigurd:     940 [Hero Sword, Thunder Sword, Leg Ring, Elite Ring, Life Ring, Skill Ring, Barrier Ring, Silver Sword]
Noish:    31345 [Steel Sword, Steel Sword]
Alec:     43565  
Ardan:    47940
Azel:     35555 [Elfire]
Lex:      44180 [Return Ring]
Cuan:     34680 [Gae Bolg, Silver Lance, Iron Lance]
Fin:      32845 [Steel Lance, Javelin, Silver Lance]
Ethlin:   34080 [Light Sword, Iron Blade, Silver Blade]
Midir:        0 [Speed Ring, Hero Bow, Killer Bow, Silver Bow, Iron Bow, Steel Bow]
Aideen:   35990 [Bargain Bracelet, Recover, Warp, Libro, Silence, Sleep, Restore, Live, Live]
Dew:      0
Aira:     30040 [Steel Blade, Iron Blade]
Jamka:    30395
Dierdre:   2700 [Circlet]
Holyn:    47450 [Slim Sword]
Lachesis: 21160 [Prayer Sword, Earth Sword, Return Ring, Return Staff, Relive]
Levin:    23800 [Elwind, Holsety, Fire, Thunder]
Sylvia:   50000 [Iron, Slim, Knight Ring, Defender, Slim, Iron, Iron]
Beowulf:  20125 [Silver Sword, Wind Sword, Cutter, Clipper, Steel Sword]
Fury:      3620 [Hero Lance, Thief Sword, Javelin, Shield Ring, Power Ring, Slayer, Slim Lance, Iron Lance, Iron Lance, Steel Lance]
Briggid:  29290 [Steel Bow, Ichival]
Tiltyu:    6810 [Thunder, Magic Ring, Pursuit Ring, Wind]
Claude:      50 [Reserve, Valkryie]

Pawn Shop: Thoron, Aura, Iron Axe, Hand Axe, Hero Axe

Item Shop: Steel Axe, Silver Axe

Turns: 164/399

XP: 591/1000

Completed Pairings:

Midir x Aideen

Noish x Ayra

Beowulf x Lachesis

Lex x Syvlia

Claude x Fury

Levin x Tiltyu

Holyn x Briggid

Alrighty then!

1) For further detail as to what all goes into a AAAA Ranked run, I would highly recommend this ongoing LP I started, where I do the same: https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/54690-romance-intrigue-honor-and-war-lets-max-rank-fire-emblem-4/

2) Seliph: Giving him the Silver Sword isn't a bad choice; in fact, it's a very popular choice.  He WILL, however, want the Defense and Recovery Rings, so as to ensure his survival in Chapter 6.  He DOES start at LVL 1, after all!  And if you're REALLY wanting to snowball him, I'd get 100 kills on the Brave Sword in Gen 1, and give THAT to him.  Not necessary, but, I find that such a weapon does wonders for Seliph's ability to solo maps, as well as Sigurd's ability to kill guys like Langbart in Chapter 5.

3) Julia: I don't believe she gets any of her mother's inherited stuff.  May as well sell that Aura tome and give the proceeds to Seliph, cuz Julia's not getting it, anyway.

4) Lana: She and Lester are siblings.  There's no way of getting Mana without passing up on Lester, too.  May as well give Lana as many staves as you can, then.  

5) Lester: If it were me, I'd give him ALL the bows you can, and then some!  IMO, he's one of the Gen 2 units that struggle the most with getting levels.  Any help he can get is much appreciated.

6) Dew: He and Ayra aren't a bad pairing at all.  However, I've always found Dew to be better used for helping Sylvia's kids.  Leen wants more than Elite to help her go through the Arena; she also wants to always be swapping out the Shield Ring, the Shield Sword, and other valuable items in-and-out to help with Prayer rigging in the Arena.  To that end, she GREATLY appreciates having the Bargain skill to help her out with that.  Besides that, it is significantly easier to keep Dew glued to her than it is to keep Lex back.

7) Ayra: I've always liked Lex with her.  It ensures that he gives Elite to two combat units instead of one (where the skill does the most good), they're a pre-destined pairing that's easy to get, Lex's DEF growth helps shore up their one weakness, and it ensures that Larcei & Ulster will never have the slightest bit of trouble getting to LVL 30.  

8) Delmud: You've got him set up well!  I'd still give the Shield Sword to Leen, but, it's never a bad idea to give Delmud swag he can sell; he's another of the more underpowered Gen 2 units.  In fact, I like giving him the Thief Sword so he can accumulate cash in Chapters 6-7.

9) Nanna: Looks fine to me.  She's a staff bot with semi-decent combat, so she's not someone who needs a ton of help.

10) Patty: I'd give her the Bargain Ring; that way, you can take full advantage of her ability to Give money to other units!  Good choice on making Holyn her dad, though!  That Hero Sword REALLY helps her out; especially if it's got 100+ kills!

11) Tinny: She doesn't get Thoron, no matter what.  You may as well sell it for money.  And I wouldn't give her the Magic Ring.  She promotes into a staffbot, so she hardly needs the help.  Rather...

12) Arthur: I would give it to this guy, instead.  He's locked solely to weapons; so he needs the extra items to sell more than Tinny does.  

Hope this helps!

Edited by FionordeQuester

33 minutes ago, Balcerzak said:

Went and looked at my old run. I've dropped my inheritance/pairings table in a spoiler at the end if you're interested, and you can probably do pretty fine with nearly any setup if you're not pushing for much past the baseline rank requirements. However, let me suggest my opinion on a couple of things:

Ayra's Brave Sword should really be given to Sigurd to pass down to Celice, imo. I guess Delmud isn't a terrible choice, as he's also there from the getgo, but my strategy involved pushing Celice way ahead of everybody and trying to promote ASAP, which probably isn't actually needed. He'll really want a magic sword (any of them really) for range, and the Life Ring for healing if you go that route. I mostly loaded Celice up with all my extra rings and swords just so he could have spare cash, tbh.

I disagree with leaving the Brave Lance on Finn, because then you miss out on using it all of Chapter 6, and can't pass it around for the Chapter 7 arena unless you hold off on doing that until the end of the chapter, instead of the beginning.

Who do you give the Bargain and Knight rings to? I don't see you list them anywhere. Same with the Earth Sword, Defense Sword, and Thief Sword.

Reveal hidden contents

Name:     Money Equip
Sigurd:     940 [Hero Sword, Thunder Sword, Leg Ring, Elite Ring, Life Ring, Skill Ring, Barrier Ring, Silver Sword]
Noish:    31345 [Steel Sword, Steel Sword]
Alec:     43565  
Ardan:    47940
Azel:     35555 [Elfire]
Lex:      44180 [Return Ring]
Cuan:     34680 [Gae Bolg, Silver Lance, Iron Lance]
Fin:      32845 [Steel Lance, Javelin, Silver Lance]
Ethlin:   34080 [Light Sword, Iron Blade, Silver Blade]
Midir:        0 [Speed Ring, Hero Bow, Killer Bow, Silver Bow, Iron Bow, Steel Bow]
Aideen:   35990 [Bargain Bracelet, Recover, Warp, Libro, Silence, Sleep, Restore, Live, Live]
Dew:      0
Aira:     30040 [Steel Blade, Iron Blade]
Jamka:    30395
Dierdre:   2700 [Circlet]
Holyn:    47450 [Slim Sword]
Lachesis: 21160 [Prayer Sword, Earth Sword, Return Ring, Return Staff, Relive]
Levin:    23800 [Elwind, Holsety, Fire, Thunder]
Sylvia:   50000 [Iron, Slim, Knight Ring, Defender, Slim, Iron, Iron]
Beowulf:  20125 [Silver Sword, Wind Sword, Cutter, Clipper, Steel Sword]
Fury:      3620 [Hero Lance, Thief Sword, Javelin, Shield Ring, Power Ring, Slayer, Slim Lance, Iron Lance, Iron Lance, Steel Lance]
Briggid:  29290 [Steel Bow, Ichival]
Tiltyu:    6810 [Thunder, Magic Ring, Pursuit Ring, Wind]
Claude:      50 [Reserve, Valkryie]

Pawn Shop: Thoron, Aura, Iron Axe, Hand Axe, Hero Axe

Item Shop: Steel Axe, Silver Axe

Turns: 164/399

XP: 591/1000

Completed Pairings:

Midir x Aideen

Noish x Ayra

Beowulf x Lachesis

Lex x Syvlia

Claude x Fury

Levin x Tiltyu

Holyn x Briggid

Thank you!

I completely missed on the Earth, Defense, and Thief Swords. The Bargain ring made it much easier to swap around Dew and Lex for optimal pairings and combat-usage of Elite, and the Knight Ring was something I should have remembered to give to my dancers in the first place. And thank you for pointing out the Brave Lance issue! I've gone and swapped it with Fury's Silver Lance for optimal usage.

35 minutes ago, FionordeQuester said:

Alrighty then!

1) For further detail as to what all goes into a AAAA Ranked run, I would highly recommend this ongoing LP I started, where I do the same: https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/54690-romance-intrigue-honor-and-war-lets-max-rank-fire-emblem-4/

2) Seliph: Giving him the Silver Sword isn't a bad choice; in fact, it's a very popular choice.  He WILL, however, want the Defense and Recovery Rings, so as to ensure his survival in Chapter 6.  He DOES start at LVL 1, after all!  And if you're REALLY wanting to snowball him, I'd get 100 kills on the Brave Sword in Gen 1, and give THAT to him.  Not necessary, but, I find that such a weapon does wonders for Seliph's ability to solo maps, as well as Sigurd's ability to kill guys like Langbart in Chapter 5.

3) Julia: I don't believe she gets any of her mother's inherited stuff.  May as well sell that Aura tome and give the proceeds to Seliph, cuz Julia's not getting it, anyway.

4) Lana: She and Lester are siblings.  There's no way of getting Mana without passing up on Lester, too.  May as well give Lana as many staves as you can, then.  

5) Lester: If it were me, I'd give him ALL the bows you can, and then some!  IMO, he's one of the Gen 2 units that struggle the most with getting levels.  Any help he can get is much appreciated.

6) Dew: He and Ayra aren't a bad pairing at all.  However, I've always found Dew to be better used for helping Sylvia's kids.  Leen wants more than Elite to help her go through the Arena; she also wants to always be swapping out the Shield Ring, the Shield Sword, and other valuable items in-and-out to help with Prayer rigging in the Arena.  To that end, she GREATLY appreciates having the Bargain skill to help her out with that.  Besides that, it is significantly easier to keep Dew glued to her than it is to keep Lex back.

7) Ayra: I've always liked Lex with her.  It ensures that he gives Elite to two combat units instead of one (where the skill does the most good), they're a pre-destined pairing that's easy to get, Lex's DEF growth helps shore up their one weakness, and it ensures that Larcei & Ulster will never have the slightest bit of trouble getting to LVL 30.  

8) Delmud: You've got him set up well!  I'd still give the Shield Sword to Leen, but, it's never a bad idea to give Delmud swag he can sell; he's another of the more underpowered Gen 2 units.  In fact, I like giving him the Thief Sword so he can accumulate cash in Chapters 6-7.

9) Nanna: Looks fine to me.  She's a staff bot with semi-decent combat, so she's not someone who needs a ton of help.

10) Patty: I'd give her the Bargain Ring; that way, you can take full advantage of her ability to Give money to other units!  Good choice on making Holyn her dad, though!  That Hero Sword REALLY helps her out; especially if it's got 100+ kills!

11) Tinny: She doesn't get Thoron, no matter what.  You may as well sell it for money.  And I wouldn't give her the Magic Ring.  She promotes into a staffbot, so she hardly needs the help.  Rather...

12) Arthur: I would give it to this guy, instead.  He's locked solely to weapons; so he needs the extra items to sell more than Tinny does.  

Hope this helps!

1. Excellent points on Seliph. I'll take some time to figure out whether or not I want to give him a 100+ kill Brave Sword, but you're absolutely right about him needing some extra bulk.

2. I forgot to list that Aideen will be my staff dump, thank you for pointing that out!

6 & 7. Excellent! I didn't scrutinize this pair heavily enough and your advice has been great! This should be much better than my initial pairings.

10. I'm a sucker for a good Patty, so I've gone and given her the Bargain Ring per your recommendation.

11. I enjoy trying to make Tinny a viable combat unit, but in the context of this run that will probably be a significant detriment. Good call.

12. This guy is my favourite unit in FE4, so I'll be sure to swap some things around before I start the run so I can maximize his damage output.