Do you have a preference in the type of pokemon you choose

Sage of the Mist

A couple days ago I fired up pokemon ORAS and started a new file (seriously why do pokemon games have to be so vague on how to delete a file?) And i've already picked out my team  and i'm in the process of hunting them all down when I wondered, does everyone have a specific preference for pokemon they put on their teams, or do you go with your gut? When I say preference it can be anything from appearance, stats, aesthetic, type, nature etc.

I personally tend to choose pokemon that  I find to be ethier cute, rare, unique, regal, or pokemon that look like you could have as pets.

Also, do you care about EVs and IVs or do you just take pokemon as they are?

Feel free to voice your opinions below.

In my main story run, I don't care about EVs and IVs at all. I also always use my starter. I'm pretty sentimental I guess.

I like to use Pokemon that are story important like the Lucario in X/Y, or gift Pokemon. I then try and pick Pokemon I haven't used in a campaign before, though occasionally I do fall back on my favourites.

I don't always plan my team out in advance, but I usually try to use a core of six with type overlap, and some degree of stat variation: 3-to-3 on physical vs. special attackers, and usually 4-to-2 on pure offensive vs defensive/support roles. I don't usually care too much about cuteness, coolness, badassery, or abstractness when it comes to choosing my team, though if a design really speaks to me I'll use it; Minior and Golisopod were two core components of my Sun team simply because I found Minior enthralling and I love giant isopods respectively.

If it's the first game in the generation I'll usually use my starter all the way through, but in sequels/third versions I always ditch it as soon as possible; in White 2 I replaced my starter with a Sewaddle of all things, and that was the most fun teambuilding I ever had actually (Wound up being Leavanny, Golduck, Magnezone, Crobat, Camerupt, and Absol), while in Ultra Moon I raised an all-Bug team (Vikavolt, Ribombee, MVP Masquerain, Araquanid, Armaldo, Parasect).

I don't pay attention to EVs, Natures, ect. with my in-game team, but once I beat the game I import all my competitively-bred-and-trained Pokemon and use those for things like the Battle Tree.

Edited by Anomalocaris

Does anyone else use screens, or weather for that matter? I feel like so few people use them but they really do make a difference . I also enjoy using status ailments. My favorite combos are attract + thunder wave and toxic + leech seed

I pick the pokemon I like based on design. When I was a kid I planned my teams but I've found that that makes the game boring and predictable. It's much more like an adventure if you choose as you go.

When I was little, I tried to make a team covering the most important types: Grass, Water, Fire, Flying, Electric and the last one was the favorite (Fairy cute Pokémon like Wigglytuff or Clefable)

Now when I play em', I make a team of mostly cute with monster-esque ones. Last time I replayed Leaf Green and used Wigglytuff, Clefable, Nidoking, Venusaur, Gyarados and Chansey.

I think I'm a little rusty on competitive, but I know the metagame and I have plenty of mons that were breed with perfect IVs.

Usually just what I need, the essentials are the starter some thing the starter beats so that it can defend the starter (so like a grass type to prevent a fire starter from dying to water) and a Flier. The rest are just whatever is cool loking maybe a dragon and some good pokemon that has a great oveset so 1 or 2 cn be HMs but 2 or 3 can be useful for battles.

I usually pick my favourite pokemon, i don't really care about stats that much, I often end up with a Raticate or a Beedrill on my team. If my favourites aren't avaiable in a certain game, I usually try to make a balanced team with a lot of different types. I also never use Pokemon that need trading to evolve as I have no-one to trade with -,-

2 hours ago, Sage of the Mist said:

Does anyone else use screens, or weather for that matter? I feel like so few people use them but they really do make a difference . I also enjoy using status ailments. My favorite combos are attract + thunder wave and toxic + leech seed

Oh, I always do!

And I always bring it up when people complain about my favorite Gym Leader. Whitney is way easier with a Bayleef using Reflect and Poison Powder, Miltank never stands a chance!

I go for maximum type coverage, while trying not to overlap weaknesses too much.  Starter is a must.  So are Spinda, assuming they aren't locked to postgame or something.

I tend to go with aesthetics on the first run of a new pokemon game and pokemon that only appear in that region/I have never used. Has led me to some interesting games. Also I do try and have different types in my team. 

Edited by SlayerX

7 hours ago, Sage of the Mist said:

I usually don't use screens or weather in-game (competitive is a different story). I keep a few support moves around for the longer, more difficult battles, but most battles are just about quickly blowing away your opponent(s) with a wide variety of attacks to choose from; not gonna bother setting up on a wild Zubat, for example. Status ailments are a must, though; I usually only use paralysis and (if there's a reliable user of it on my team) sleep, since they help with catching wild Pokemon.

I mostly use sweepers on my in game teams that are fast and hit hard. I mostly have 2-3 physical attackers and 3-4 special hitters. I also always have at least one flying type and one psychic type since they are both my favorite Pokémon types. I also try to have an electric type (preferably with the static ability) on my team too since paralyzing things helps out when sweeping isn't possible. Oh, and I never use the starters anymore outside the first three gens and will usually box and replace them with Zubat since it's easy to get it to turn into Crobat early on.

For the story I just make sure to use new Pokémon and try my best to not have overlapping types. I may also use the cover Legendary depending on how important it is to the story (basically the B/W and S/M ones are fair game while the others go to the box). I don't pay attention to IVs and EVs but I like to have my starter with a good nature, the others stay with whatever nature they got when I caught them although I kinda hate Bold for in-game

17 hours ago, Sage of the Mist said:

Screens are awkward because its mainly only used for hyper offensive

Weather is as simple as using tyranitar technically so idk the specifics on that. i don't think 'using tyranitar' = using weather etc

Ailments are awesome but some of them are simply stupid. Thunder Wave shouldn't exist the way it is right now, and gamefreak nerfed them in the stupidest way

I try to keep my teams varied, and lately I've been trying to spread out my usage instead of of "oh hey this game has my favorites in it let's only use those." Doesn't work quite as well for new games though, where I tend to use my favorites the first time anyway. We'll see what Pokemon Let's Go brings, but I have a feeling I already know what my team is going to be before I start (unless they let us transfer Gen II and III mon from the app).

18 hours ago, Sage of the Mist said:

I think most people wouldn't use those much in-game; in competitive play, however? You shouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Thunder Wave, Will-O-Wisp, and Toxic regularly being flung around. Not to mention Stealth Rock.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I just pick my favorites, and those can range from anywhere to super cute to super cool and whatnot. I also always use my starter.

I do tend to prefer animal based Pokemon over those based on objects though. My team pretty much always has a Fire type too since that's my favorite type.

Edited by Anacybele

Water types. My team must have a Water type. I can’t imagine making a team without a Water type. 

I tend a balance of tough and cute looking Pokemon, at least two tough looking and two cute looking. And I also tend to have at least two Pokemon of the same gender, never a mostly female or male team. 

And I always have more Special Attackers than Physical Attackers, and I actually do that subconsciously. Maybe because in most RPGs I prefer mages and Special Attackers are kinda like the mages of Pokemon.

One other rule I tend to have is that I don't re-use Pokemon I've used in-game before.

There's a few exceptions, like re-using my starter in remakes and using Crobat in both HeartGold and White 2, but I generally try to experiment with Pokemon I haven't used yet. It's why I didn't use Golisopod on my all-Bug Ultra Moon team, since I used it in Sun.

6 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Water types. My team must have a Water type. I can’t imagine making a team without a Water type. 

Same here, I need a water type every time 

need that surf access 

also if Arcanine is available i the game, he gets an automatic team slot 

On 7/4/2018 at 6:35 PM, eclipse said:

I go for maximum type coverage, while trying not to overlap weaknesses too much.  Starter is a must.  So are Spinda, assuming they aren't locked to postgame or something.

Oh I love spinda, it's so cute! A shame I just can't find a niche for it in my team, maybe I could use it for contests....

13 hours ago, Darros said:

I try to keep my teams varied, and lately I've been trying to spread out my usage instead of of "oh hey this game has my favorites in it let's only use those." Doesn't work quite as well for new games though, where I tend to use my favorites the first time anyway. We'll see what Pokemon Let's Go brings, but I have a feeling I already know what my team is going to be before I start (unless they let us transfer Gen II and III mon from the app).

I'm not sure how I exactly feel about Pokemon Let's go, was kinda hoping for a "new" gen you know? Regardless i'll still buy it, from what i've seen it looks like its in kanto and i'd take a stroll down nostalgia lane there anytime.