Kubson plays Pokemon Fire Red Nuzlocke (with harder rules)

Kubson

How many Pokemon I should be allowed for Pokemon League/Elite 4  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How many Pokemon I should be allowed for Pokemon League/Elite 4

2. 2. What should be the highest allowed level of my Pokemon for Elite 4?

• 54 (same level as Lorelei's strongest pokemon)
    • 63 (same level as Blue's strongest pokemon)
    • 60 (same level as Lance's strongest pokemon)
    • 58 (same level as Agatha's strongest pokemon)
    • 56 (same level as Bruno's strongest pokemon)

RULES

1. Catch only the first pokemon you see on each route/area.

2. If you kill the first pokemon you see, no new pokemon for you.

3. If you encounter the same pokemon/pokemon from the same evolution line you already have, try again until you get a pokemon you haven't caught.

4. No healing inside of battles is allowed, healing outside of battles is.

5. Your pokemon's level can be at most the same as the level of bosses most powerful pokemon.

6. You may only use the same amount of pokemon as the gym leaders/bosses use. (However there is one instance, for which I'll create a poll for)

7. Naming your pokemon is optional.

8. If your pokemon faints during battle, it is considered 'dead' and it must be released.

9. If you lose a battle, you may continue with the pokemon you have inside the PC Box.

With that out of the way...

Obligatory trainer name.

Gary F***** Oak

Level 2 Pidgey, a man's worst nightmare.

As much as it pains me not to pick Squirtle (Blastoise is my favourite pokemon), I'll pick Bulbasaur, because he's pretty cool and nobody ever picks him (And he'll make two first gym battles easier)

That was CLOSE

Get used to it, dickhead.

The real fun/pain begins NOW

Now that's a good way to begin a nuzlocke, one of my favourite pokemon and a pokemon that is actually quite decent. Hyper Fang hits like a fucking truck early on and once it evolves it just gets better. A very good pokemon early on, that holds it own throught the entire game (from my experience)

Rattata has been caught :)

New route, what are we gonna get?

Mankey. It's not a bad pokemon, it's fairly fast and has good damage output, it's certianly going to be useful against Brock. With me not being able to get trade evolutions Mankey might be just the best fighting type I can get, especially once it evolves.

Mankey has been caught.

Route 2 time baby, now give me Pidgey.

That's what I'm talking about!

Caught it without hitting it, Ash be jealous. Anyway Pidgey is an ok flying type, not amazing, I find spearow/fearow and doduo/dodrio much better than pidgey/pidgeotto/pidgeot due to pidgey's average attack and speed. Still it has a higher base total than the previous two evolution lines, but it's late final evolution hurts it, when you can get Fearow 16 level earlier, anyway that's enough for the first update. Next time I'll get through Viridian Forest and face my rival on route 22. Smell ya later!

Edited by Kubson

P2: 2nd rival battle

I've grinded up all my pokemon up to level 9, the level of Gary's/Blue's pokemon, however as my rules state I'm only allowed to take 2 pokemon with me for this battle, and the pair that I'll be taking is:

That might seem like a weird choice at first, however it's the best selection I could have made. Bulbasaur and Mankey take super-effective damage from his Pidgey, which actually hits them pretty hard with its gust. These 2 are also unlikely to face Brock, so it'd be nice to give them some extra experience. And what better way to humilate your rival than beat them with the region's most common pokemon?

Well you're about to find out the hard way.

My Pidgey is in the TOP pertancage of all Pidgeys.

And Rattata finishes off the most overrated starter of all time and Gary gets beaten for the 2nd and not the last time during this run.

Edited by Kubson

Oh look, someone doing one of these, haven't seen one in a while.

2 hours ago, Kubson said:

Caught it without hitting it, Ash be jealous. Anyway Pidgey is an ok flying type, not amazing, I find spearow/fearow and doduo/dodrio much better than pidgey/pidgeotto/pidgeot due to pidgey's average attack and speed. Still it has a higher base total than the previous two evolution lines, but it's late final evolution hurts it, when you can get Fearow 16 level earlier, anyway that's enough for the first update. Next time I'll get through Viridian Forest and face my rival on route 22. Smell ya later!

As someone who started with Bulbasaur and used Pidgey and Mankey in FR, I will say that Bulbasaur is a solid pick and Pidgey is totally usable to the endgame. Can't say as much on Mankey as mine got rocked by a Kangaskhan right before evolving (HE HAD ONLY 2 BATTLES TO EVOLVING!) but it also works alright. Needs a bit of bulk though.

Tried to make things harder by using only Pidgeot in the Post-E4 but I finished the full game barring the upgraded E4 with just that Pidgeot (Mewtwo included, though I had to be level 75 to stand that chance)

6 minutes ago, Kubson said:

That might seem like a weird choice at first, however it's the best selection I could have made. Bulbasaur and Mankey take super-effective damage from his Pidgey, which actually hits them pretty hard with its gust. These 2 are also unlikely to face Brock, so it'd be nice to give them some extra experience. And what better way to humilate your rival than beat them with the region's most common pokemon?

Yeah, that makes sense, considering it's likely at least one of these will be around for a while.

6 minutes ago, Kubson said:

And Rattata finishes off the most overrated starter of all time and Gary gets beaten for the 2nd and not the last time during this run.

I'm going to say it: I think the Charmander hate is a bit unjustified. I get why people consider the line overrated, but in all honesty I think the people saying it can put people off actually listening to the argument. That being said I am biased in favour of Charizard, but that's despite knowing the limitations. As for the meta making Charizard overrated, Stealth Rocks is a dick move in my opinion ignoring Charizard (probably one of the few things I dislike about Gen 4 that isn't how slow the engine is). Why can't Spikes get type effectiveness if it can?

Aside from that tangent good to not see a loss yet.

Also, I'd like to suggest for the E4 poll to add each of the other E4 member's strongest pokemon. 54's a bit low imo and 63's way off and too much.

11 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Oh look, someone doing one of these, haven't seen one in a while.

As someone who started with Bulbasaur and used Pidgey and Mankey in FR, I will say that Bulbasaur is a solid pick and Pidgey is totally usable to the endgame. Can't say as much on Mankey as mine got rocked by a Kangaskhan right before evolving (HE HAD ONLY 2 BATTLES TO EVOLVING!) but it also works alright. Needs a bit of bulk though.

Tried to make things harder by using only Pidgeot in the Post-E4 but I finished the full game barring the upgraded E4 with just that Pidgeot (Mewtwo included, though I had to be level 75 to stand that chance)

Yeah, that makes sense, considering it's likely at least one of these will be around for a while.

I'm going to say it: I think the Charmander hate is a bit unjustified. I get why people consider the line overrated, but in all honesty I think the people saying it can put people off actually listening to the argument. That being said I am biased in favour of Charizard, but that's despite knowing the limitations. As for the meta making Charizard overrated, Stealth Rocks is a dick move in my opinion ignoring Charizard (probably one of the few things I dislike about Gen 4 that isn't how slow the engine is). Why can't Spikes get type effectiveness if it can?

Aside from that tangent good to not see a loss yet.

Also, I'd like to suggest for the E4 poll to add each of the other E4 member's strongest pokemon. 54's a bit low imo and 63's way off and too much.

Yeah good idea I'll add that to the poll. Good to see someone reading the thread, hope you'll enjoy the run

Edited by Kubson

P3: The Miracle of Viridian Forest

I think this is the first time I encounter Pikachu during a nuzlocke run of the first generation! That's 100% the best encounter you can get here, Raichu/Pikachu is a fantastic choice for a electric pokemon, great speed and high special attack make it excellent, even if it's made out of paper, while Weedle/Kakuna/Beedrill and Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree are awful long-term. While Butterfree has powders and psychic going for it, Beedrill has nothing, you could argue that's the worst bug pokemon in the entire game. Anyway that's the last update for today, will try to upload more tommorrow.

Edited by Kubson

P4: Pewter City Gym Leader Brock

Before I went into battle with Brock, I grinded up all of my pokemon thanks to the trainers and wild pokemon in Virdian Forest. Those who aren't taking part in the battle reached level 14, rattata wouldn't be able to do much even with her newly learned Hyper Fang, Pidgey gets wrecked by Rock Tomb, and Pikachu can't deal damage with its electric attacks (so I guess Ash cheated in the anime vs Brock?)

And there we are Pewter City Gym. There is only one trainer before Brock and facing him is optional, you can skip him by going as far to the right as you can, if you decide to fight him, he has a Sandshrew and Diglett so Bulbasaur and Squirtle won't deal 4x super-effective damage against his pokemon, as they are pure ground types (and the game says it's a rock gym...)

More like BROCK-HARD! Sorry I had to. Anyway Brock is a fairly easy gym leader as long as you picked Bulbasaur or Squirtle as they will one-shot Geodude (L.12) and Onix (L. 14) with Bubble or Vine Whip. Charmander gets wrecked by Rock Tomb and can't deal any meaningful damage to his pokemon. The only way to win with a fire starter is:

a) Catch a Mankey and abuse Low Kick, Brock's pokemon are heavy so they should take a lot of damage

b) Catch a Caterpie/Metapod and evolve it into Butterfree and spam confusion and sleep powder, altough I wouldn't recommend that as Rock Tomb is 4x supper-effective against it.

c) Evolve Charmander and use Metal Claw to beat Onix and Geodude, while Geodude should go down in 1 hit, Onix won't and he will deal solid damage with Rock Tomb, as well as slow down Charmeleon, thankfully Onix isn't a potent attacker, but with luck on Brock's side you can eaisly lose due to a crit.

Like I said Geodude gets 1-shotted by Vine Whip and thanks to Geodude going down, Bulbasaur gains a full level!

So does Onix. Again Bulbasaur gains a full level, so this an excellent way to get easy experience for your Bulbasaur or Squirtle. It's actually kinda sad how bad Brock is in the game, he was such a badass in the first episodes in the anime, when Ash faced him.

And thanks to that victory we get Boulderbadge and Rock Tomb. Boulderbadge allows traded pokemon up to L.20 obey you without question, as well as allows you to go towards Mt Moon. Rock Tomb is a rock type move, with 60 power and 95% accuracy, if it hits it slows down the victim by one stage. Anyways, hope you're enjoying the nuzlocke so far! Until next time!

Edited by Kubson

4 minutes ago, ranger016 said:

Nice to see someone pick Bulbasaur, it is my favorite gen 1 starter.

I have only one suggestion, can you put the updates in a spoiler? It will get pretty long soon.

I really like Bulbasaur, probably the most underrated starter, probably my favourite starter other than Squirtle. That's a good shout, I always forget to do it! Will try to make sure I put P5 in a spoiler.