Inexperienced FE player

expshare

I've played a lot of strategy games, including turn-based strategy games. Despite this, I've never finished a Fire Emblem game. The first Fire Emblem game I played was Shadow Dragon for GBA, and I started on Hard 5 mode for some reason. Well, I managed somewhat...I think once I got to Chapter 10 I stopped. Later I played Fire Emblem Fates, but I also stopped around Chapter 10.

For some reason I've never finished a Fire Emblem game, but I enjoy the series, and it has slowly grown on me. I'm currently playing Fire Emblem 9 (Path of Radiance), and I like it. My friend and I plan to start a playthrough for FE9 and upload it to YTube. 

I'm 27 / m / location=California coast. My username is a reference to the item Exp. Share from the Pokemon series. I am interested in a wide variety of topics such as science, mathematics, philosophy, society, and more. Nice to meet you all. 

Any challenges in finishing a Fire Emblem game? Maybe the fine folks here can help (I'm not fine, though. Crazy is more like it).

Self-effacing humor aside, welcome and enjoy yer stay.

1 hour ago, Karimlan said:

Any challenges in finishing a Fire Emblem game? Maybe the fine folks here can help (I'm not fine, though. Crazy is more like it).

Self-effacing humor aside, welcome and enjoy yer stay.

I think everyone has their quirks when it comes to strategy games. One of my quirks is that if I get bored with something being too easy, then I increase the difficulty level. If I get bored with something being too tedious, then I decrease the difficulty level. The result is that sometimes I restart a game multiple times, and end up burning out before finishing a playthrough. Well...at least I'm self-aware of this tendency now, so I can manage it better! I'm currently playing FE9 on Hard Mode (English version), and I'm liking it. It's on the easier side of things so far (why are most of the FE9 characters so strong?), but it's still a lot of fun.

I think I recognize the name Aura Noir, although for some reason I initially mixed it up with Lunar Aurora. I listen to a wide variety of music, including black metal. Also, whatever the word crazy is supposed to mean exactly, I probably fit the bill. 

14 minutes ago, sinicaphaulls said:

I am insanely jealous that you actually are playing PoR that game has eluded me since the dawn of time. I do hope you can finish it because it is amazing. 

Ah, well I do use an emulator. I've heard that getting a legit copy of the game is quite expensive. I do have the physical copies of FE: Shadow Dragon for Nintendo DS (edit) and FE Fates - Conquest for 3DS. And yeah, playing FE9 has been great...I'm on Chapter 11, but I'll probably be starting a new playthrough with a friend of mine soon whom has finished some Fire Emblem games like FE6 and FE8. I definitely intend to  finish the whole thing. If I enjoy it enough, and nothing else distracts me, then I'll probably play it again using lower tier units, or something.

Edited by expshare

if you want just dense strategy goodness, then you should probably just try conquest lunatic, since you have that already, and if you want more, then maybe give the fifth entry in the series, thracia 776 a go. but, heads up, its very important that you don't use a guide as it is best played blind. 

with that, welcome to the forest.

On 7/6/2018 at 7:57 AM, sinicaphaulls said:

I am insanely jealous that you actually are playing PoR that game has eluded me since the dawn of time. I do hope you can finish it because it is amazing. 

I'm insanely jealous they some how played Shadow Dragon on Gameboy Advance! (because it's actually a DS game)

On 7/6/2018 at 8:09 AM, expshare said:

I think everyone has their quirks when it comes to strategy games. One of my quirks is that if I get bored with something being too easy, then I increase the difficulty level. If I get bored with something being too tedious, then I decrease the difficulty level. The result is that sometimes I restart a game multiple times, and end up burning out before finishing a playthrough. Well...at least I'm self-aware of this tendency now, so I can manage it better! I'm currently playing FE9 on Hard Mode (English version), and I'm liking it. It's on the easier side of things so far (why are most of the FE9 characters so strong?), but it's still a lot of fun.

I think I recognize the name Aura Noir, although for some reason I initially mixed it up with Lunar Aurora. I listen to a wide variety of music, including black metal. Also, whatever the word crazy is supposed to mean exactly, I probably fit the bill. 

Ah, well I do use an emulator. I've heard that getting a legit copy of the game is quite expensive. I do have the physical copies of FE: Shadow Dragon for Nintendo DS (edit) and FE Fates - Conquest for 3DS. And yeah, playing FE9 has been great...I'm on Chapter 11, but I'll probably be starting a new playthrough with a friend of mine soon whom has finished some Fire Emblem games like FE6 and FE8. I definitely intend to  finish the whole thing. If I enjoy it enough, and nothing else distracts me, then I'll probably play it again using lower tier units, or something.

The reason the characters in Path of Radiance feel so strong is because your actually playing on normal mode. The real hard mode was removed from the international release in favor of adding an even easier easy mode.

Edited by Jotari

5 hours ago, (s)ad touch said:

if you want just dense strategy goodness, then you should probably just try conquest lunatic, since you have that already, and if you want more, then maybe give the fifth entry in the series, thracia 776 a go. but, heads up, its very important that you don't use a guide as it is best played blind. 

with that, welcome to the forest.

Ah, great idea! Honestly I'm glad you mentioned that, because I'm sometimes so absent minded that I don't even consider something as simple as revisiting a game. I might give it another try really soon...today?

34 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'm insanely jealous they some how played Shadow Dragon on Gameboy Advance! (because it's actually a DS game)

The reason the characters in Path of Radiance feel so strong is because your actually playing on normal mode. The real hard mode was removed from the international release in favor of adding an even easier easy mode.

Yeah, well I played a lot of GBA and DS games a while back so I got mixed up, but I did catch my mistake before anyone pointed it out. :)

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I knew that Maniac mode in the Japanese version was replaced with easy mode in the English version, but I didn't realize they also replaced Hard mode with Difficult mode. Well, I'm playing Difficult mode, and my team is way more powerful than the enemies are: Ch.17 / Ike, Soren, Boyd, Oscar, Kieran, Titania, Mist, Jill, Marcia, Volke, Lethe, Mordecai. Mist was promoted at lvl.10 and serves as a heal bot. Ike and Marcia got seraph robes, and Mordecai has demiband. They all roam around with maxed forged steel weapons, generously priced at almost half off in the English version.

List of Regional Gameplay Differences: https://tcrf.net/Fire_Emblem:_Path_of_Radiance/Regional_Differences#Gameplay

Edited by expshare

=

32 minutes ago, expshare said:

Ah, great idea! Honestly I'm glad you mentioned that, because I'm sometimes so absent minded that I don't even consider something as simple as revisiting a game. I might give it another try really soon...today?

Yeah, well I played a lot of GBA and DS games a while back so I got mixed up, but I did catch my mistake before anyone pointed it out. :)

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I knew that Maniac mode in the Japanese version was replaced with easy mode in the English version, but I didn't realize they also replaced Hard mode with Difficult mode. Well, I'm playing Difficult mode, and my team is way more powerful than the enemies are: Ch.17 / Ike, Soren, Boyd, Oscar, Kieran, Titania, Mist, Jill, Marcia, Volke, Lethe, Mordecai. Mist was promoted at lvl.10 and serves as a heal bot. Ike and Marcia got seraph robes, and Mordecai has demiband. They all roam around with maxed forged steel weapons, generously priced at almost half off in the English version.

List of Regional Gameplay Differences: https://tcrf.net/Fire_Emblem:_Path_of_Radiance/Regional_Differences#Gameplay

Well to put it simply, there's four difficulty modes for Path of Radiance, with the hardest being exclusive to the Japanese version and the easiest being exclusive to the international version. So the hardest version in the international release is really the middle difficulty level as it was originally designed in the Japanese version. The game's really not going to get any more difficult then it is now. They just keep throwing money at you for forges and eventually give out really powerful prepromotes that will likely be better than your growth units unless you're particularly rng blessed.