Who unexpectedly became one of your best units? And in what game(s)?

Chopper...

And I don't mean just the obvious ones that are globally amazing from the beginning nor am I talking about manaketes and such.

I was speaking with a friend the other day about our past conquest run, and I discovered he thinks Charlotte is a very bad unit. That kind of shocked me, because in my conquest run Charlotte was such a beast, she was so great I would sometimes throw her in the middle of a group of enemies and she would not only survive with good hp still, but would kill more than half of them, thanks to some crazy good hp, str, spd and crit rate she had. We both played conquest in classic hard, which has less enemies than lunatic mode but definitely more than normal mode. And I didn't have any dlc for lvl grinding. I was very surprised he thought she was so bad.

So I was wondering which units from any FE game have you guys ever had that unexpectedly became some of your best and also some of your favorites?

Edited by Chopper...
Editing the title

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ended up accidentally having Noire inherit Acrobat due to marrying Tharja to Gaius and not rearranging the Skills he had equipped. Second-best mistake I ever made, normally I loathe her Paralogue because it's so slow but she pranced through all those Woods tiles. For whatever reason, she also got really good growths the same run and ended up my third-most-used Unit, behind Robin and Chrom, in spite of her relatively late join time(halfway into the story).

Surprisingly, for Fates it was actually a Shrine Maiden I captured early on in Conquest - Elise died and I was doing a no-reset run, so I just caught a Shrine Maiden named Madoka and used her as a non-mounted replacement. She ended up being probably the most helpful Unit in the whole game, in part because Elise bit it so there was less competition.

honestly i have no idea what you mean by a "beast" if you won't allow units like seth and shit, but hol/for- (don't care, just in case you do) -sety arthur with the bargain ring, pursuit ring, magic ring, and speed ring, for maximum forsety

2 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Brom in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. He always turns out fantastic for me and I think he's a severely underrated unit.

Since PoR and RD are the only games I haven't been able to play, I will be sure to remember this for the day I can, and give poor Brom a chance :lol:

1 hour ago, SoulWeaver said:

I ended up accidentally having Noire inherit Acrobat due to marrying Tharja to Gaius and not rearranging the Skills he had equipped. Second-best mistake I ever made, normally I loathe her Paralogue because it's so slow but she pranced through all those Woods tiles. For whatever reason, she also got really good growths the same run and ended up my third-most-used Unit, behind Robin and Chrom, in spite of her relatively late join time(halfway into the story).

Surprisingly, for Fates it was actually a Shrine Maiden I captured early on in Conquest - Elise died and I was doing a no-reset run, so I just caught a Shrine Maiden named Madoka and used her as a non-mounted replacement. She ended up being probably the most helpful Unit in the whole game, in part because Elise bit it so there was less competition.

Hahahaha, that about Madoka is really great! Such a crazy turn of events. And that about Noire is certainly interesting!

22 minutes ago, (s)ad touch said:

honestly i have no idea what you mean by a "beast" if you won't allow units like seth and shit, but hol/for- (don't care, just in case you do) -sety arthur with the bargain ring, pursuit ring, magic ring, and speed ring, for maximum forsety

I mean what the others have been aswering, I guess I should have written "unexpected beast" instead, my bad. As in, a unit you didn't expect to become one of your best units, or a unit everyone thinks is bad but was really great for you.

In any case, and following what you said, I don't remember ever marrying Tailtiu to Lewyn, I think it was to Azelle or something, but that's certainly a great idea.

18 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

machyua in thracia 776 carried my team, when I normally hear she's the worst swordfighter. I'm not listening!

Hahaha, awesome!! I like her a lot, too.

Edited by Chopper...

3 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

"unexpected beast"

oh got it.

ah, there was this one HHM fe7 run where my erk got super blessed, with good offense, speed, and hell, even got crazy def for gods sake. i could just throw him into the middle of battle and just watch him kill everyone, it was great. and when he got promoted, i think about level 16, cos thats when he got his guiding ring, he was just barely shy of pent. i think it was like a point less def, and comparable speed, though his magic """tapered off""" in comparison, he could still orko with thunder and elfire though.

Roy, surprisingly enough in my FE6 run - he managed to cap both DEF and STR before hitting the level cap, and still had SPD somewhere around 18, only really failing RES. That REALLY helped him stay viable in the midgame.

1 minute ago, Kubson said:

RNG blessed Eliwood in FE7

Same thing on my run, but maxed DEF and lower STR. I thought he was Hector in disguise at first)

Also the Volug/Fiona duo in FE10 - between their SPD, LCK and double Earth they got something like 100 avoid in the endgame. Volug taking on half of 3-6 in human form and winning was just the icing.

I once had Tana eclipse all of my other units in a Sacred Stones playthrough, even SethSeth himself.

In one of my Conquest runs, I made it a point to constantly pair up Selena and Keaton. I don't exactly remember why (probably because I hadn't seen their support yet or something), but they ended up tearing through almost everything the game threw at me and continued to be the MVPs throughout the entire run.

And lastly, in one of my recent Echoes playthroughs, Yuzu turned out to be nuke to end all nukes.

In my current FE6 playthrough, Marcus is wielding Durandal. In chapter 22. I'm serious.

He's not even just good in the usual "Jeigans can still rescue!" sense. Instead, he's gained enough stats to be a really competent combat unit with the aid of his full support with Roy. Even though, admittedly, he's not my best unit (that honour belongs to Lot), the fact that he can still both dish out and take damage better than half of my elites is quite baffling, to say the least.

Probably my most ridiculously blessed unit ever. I've had blessed units (Matthis carried one of my FE12 playthroughs. Matthis), but a blessed Jeigan? And the best part about it is, it's all recorded. Shameless self-advertising!

4 hours ago, Michelaar said:

machyua in thracia 776 carried my team, when I normally hear she's the worst swordfighter. I'm not listening!

Who said that? Trude exists. Never mind Shanam if you count promoted units.

Also, I'll say that Tanya is a unit who should not have 10 move and be able to fiht in the endgame. She does that though, so naturally she was on the endgame team. If only she'd gotten some more build.

Aside from that, I'll mention the last time I did HHM, where I decided to promote a cav in Lyn mode and picked Sain.

He hit 20 Str/Spd before promotion, making me decide to hold off using him because he was too OP. Even when I did allow myself again he was the best kind of ridiculous and was the solid carry for the rest of that playthrough.

18 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Who said that? Trude exists. Never mind Shanam if you count promoted units.

Well they mostly said that she's definitly not worth using when Shiva and Mareeta exist. And yeah Mareeta is ridiculous, however, Shiva really wasn't.

Azel in FE4 (Genealogy of the Holy War) my first time playing I had a hard time giving Azel kills, but this time he's turning into quite the terror. Now most units in FE4 are really good or at least decent but this time I think I've thought of ways to get more use out of Azel.

Dart in FE7 (Blazing Sword) when he joins there's nothing paticularly extroidanary about him apart from the fact he can walk on water but I put some effort into him and MAN did he suprise me with how good he got. He had speed, strength and HP and a lot of it, there were few enemies he couldn't double.

Aran in FE10 (Radiant Dawn) he joins at a time where usually the rest of my party is higher leveled and better than Aran but one playthrough I actually tried useing Aran and he surpassed my expectations now I use this man every single time. This man is a brick wall he will be your best tank for the Dawn Brigade barring Tauroneo of course. Nobody is better than Tauroneo!

Cherche in FE13 (Awakening), she joins at a time where you should have at least a couple promoted guys on your team and is in her base class, but she's a wyver rider. And THAT automatically spells awesomeness. Allow her to get some EXP, some kills and she will end up dominating the playing field.

Charlotte in FE14 (Fates) she joins with a Steel Axe, not the best idea in my opinion but pair her up with someone like Benny, and maybe give her a Killer Axe instead let her kill things and she will turn into one of your more powerful units if not your strongest unit. Also promote her to Berserker because Berserkers are awesome. If you have the corresponding DLC for it you can get Strength Taker and Aether scrolls and give them to Charlotte. Both of which I think are really good on her.

Honorable mention goes to Volug as I think he has more potential than what most might give him credit for in spite of not being a royal.

3 hours ago, Michelaar said:

Well they mostly said that she's definitly not worth using when Shiva and Mareeta exist. And yeah Mareeta is ridiculous, however, Shiva really wasn't.

Shiva's a really solid swordmaster unit who doesn't need investment, while Mareeta is the kind of unit who just eats enemies alive when given the initial investment (Luna and Astra on a unit who can activate both at the same time. I think Kaga lost his last fucks before Thracia sometimes.).

Last time around I didn't use Machuya to the end. I think I will next time.

52 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

Donnel in Fire Emblem Awakening. The dude becomes a beast when promoted. I think I either made him a Berserker or Warrior in said playthrough

Warrior, sadly he doesn't get Berserker.

Mordecai in Radiant Dawn when I gave him 3 levels of BEXP when you first get him and he got 2 levels of speed. Needless to say he was so fast after that he doubled most things during part 2. It gave him a really easy time levelling his weapon rank, which just made him snowball. This was also in a draft run though, so resources were plenty.. 

Edited by SlayerX

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

In my current FE6 playthrough, Marcus is wielding Durandal. In chapter 22. I'm serious.

He's not even just good in the usual "Jeigans can still rescue!" sense. Instead, he's gained enough stats to be a really competent combat unit with the aid of his full support with Roy. Even though, admittedly, he's not my best unit (that honour belongs to Lot), the fact that he can still both dish out and take damage better than half of my elites is quite baffling, to say the least.

Probably my most ridiculously blessed unit ever. I've had blessed units (Matthis carried one of my FE12 playthroughs. Matthis), but a blessed Jeigan? And the best part about it is, it's all recorded. Shameless self-advertising!

Somehow I knew you'd be in this thread, because Matthis and Marcus sure as hell came to mind when I saw the title.

10 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Brom in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. He always turns out fantastic for me and I think he's a severely underrated unit.

Brom has consistently turned out well for me, so I'm going to have to agree here.

7 hours ago, Kubson said:

eliGOD.thumb.png.f057b5df64b73a04e66303f999af09df.png.4f17bc03ca32be3750b835b38cd122de.png

RNG blessed Eliwood in FE7

This reminds me of my Eliwood from my recent (no-reset) Eliwood mode FE7 run. Except he had the 12 def by level 9. When he hit level 20 he was at a solid 17 def. He only had 15 strength though. But his resistance was more like 11. He ended up being like a jeigan in that run, in that when everyone else promoted earlier than him, he fell behind, but up until then he was competing with Hector on who was better (and winning).

In other notes, while I've had luck with Cherche, Aran, Dart, Lot and Tana (who due to access to pierce can be pretty broken to be honest, so I restrict myself from that promotion path) two units that come to mind that haven't been mentioned in this thread, and place close to the bottom of tier lists in FE 7 for usability carried my first run of FE 7. My first time playing a Fire Emblem. Dorcas and Wil. The former became an unstoppable killing machine with much the effect you'd see in @Saint Rubenio's run of Binding blade with Lot. The latter, despite his own shortcomings in enemy phase, became a tactical nuke in player phase.

FE5 - 

Glade is the main standout - I wasn't intentionally using him because of the CCYL 1  or anything. I just liked his recruitment chapter, and it was nice to have a promoted cavalier after all the shitty ones (other than Fin) that you get to that point. I understand he's a little redudnant, but... I had him silver tan in his recruitment chapter instead of the presumably more common "strip tank" and idk it seemed lie he could hold out the whole time pretty consistently. Later he played a super crucial role in C22 blocking the bridge with the horse slayer armors on by dismounting and face tanking. 

Ralph - is  the secondary unexpected hero - I was using both Halvan and Othin, but I still decided to field Ralph Maybe this is why I always pick the devil's advocate options in those unit diversity polls.  Honestly he seemed to mash up ordinary units up through endgame, although I kept him away from Master Lance/Axe users, and he didn't quite rate a slot in final. 

FE8 -

Garcia - at the time I played the 2006 min-max threads had more sway than the drafting/ltc threads, so in retrospect shouldn't have been surprising.

Dozla - Killed the final boss on my first blind play through other shenangians. Granted that Garm's Speed Bonus is probbably the best of the legendary weapons.

FE9 -

Tanith - She is a normally good pre-promote, but I had a really, really, beastly one. 

Taureno - From my 3 general playthrough - Yes he is supposed to be a unit with "unscrewable stats" due to his late recruitment, but after proccing resolve, he did the most impressive thing in the game, convincing the AI to refuse to attack him when no other player units were in range. 

FE13 - Kellam most kills first solo playthrough forever defines my opinion on this game

This thread makes me feel bad for using the optimal parties in most games and not . 

Faye as a Mage in Echoes. I figured she wouldn't be half bad as a mage thanks to the high accuracy boost of her Alm support but for some reason she also got Def on basically every level, ending up as the best tank by far.

Kress in Tear Ring Saga basically did the same thing. The guy capped his defense super early. Too bad I still ended up screwing up the Leteena event on that run.

Edited by BrightBow

FE7 - Rebecca and Wil turned out really good for some reason (moreso Wil during a HHM draft run), dealt a lot of damage and I used them as a meatshield when necessary and it works out fine usually. Obviously getting them to beast mode takes longer than other units due to their base stats and join time (in regards to Wil) but, they served me quite well and turned out to be one of the top units during both of my runs.

FE8 - Always thought Great Knights were a flawed class just because they are just a weird compromise between Generals/Paladins (can't really think of a reason to promote into a Great Knight, and getting to use all 3 main weapons isn't exactly convincing tbh), until I used Duessel in Ephraim's route. This guy is actually a beast, with amazing stats and was a very handy mobile knight that helped me a ton (especially in the ghost ship chapter), very good unit overall.

FE9 - Nephenee was also one of my top units in the run surprisingly. Considering this game is part of the "horse emblem trio" (FE4, 8 and 9), I was surprised how well Nephenee fared against the other mounted units I had (aka Boyd, Ilyana, and Rhys). She was a great meatshield/rescuer when necessary and had solid offensive capabilities as well. Giving her the Flame Lance also helped her surprisingly since it made the matchup against Generals a bit better (also gave her some range too).