Who unexpectedly became one of your best units? And in what game(s)?

Chopper...

In Awakening, I had a fairly blessed pegasus knight!Lissa for early game.  Up to Gangrel, she had high enough strength to actually do major damage against a lot of dudes.

In Genealogy, even though she's pretty much an inferior Arthur, I managed to make Tine work and get her to max level.  Hannibal was surprising in that he actually manged to complete a ton of arena matches.  Also made Ethlin a decent combat unit even though she's supposed to just be a staff bot.  She was good enough to survive a number of attacks from a certain squad of horseslayer-wielding wyvern knights.  Same goes for Nanna, actually.  And though he does have a rep for being excellent for AAAA runs (and just good in general), FE rule dictates that an axe-wielder like Lex really shouldn't be as good as he is, especially in a game where weapons have weight and that also took away his ability to double naturally.

In New Mystery/Shadow Dragon, I've made both Julian and Feena into really good combat units.  Often times, a better move for Feena would actually be to attack an opponent instead of refreshing a unit, that's how good she became.

In Fates, despite their bad rep, I've made both Rinkah and Hana work without grinding.  Also made Charlotte work, but I actually favor her a little so it's a little bit more forced.  And people seem to riff on Mozu a lot, but I've always been able to make her pretty damn good even without grinding skirmishes.

I'm someone who likes defying the meta and making the "okay" or "mediocre" units into gods.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, SavageVolug said:

Azel in FE4 (Genealogy of the Holy War) my first time playing I had a hard time giving Azel kills, but this time he's turning into quite the terror. Now most units in FE4 are really good or at least decent but this time I think I've thought of ways to get more use out of Azel.

Oh, is he regarded as a poor unit? I mean, that about fire tomes being very heavy was annoying but aside from that I guess he was generally good in my game. He was hard to move though, or at least in comparison to the ponies.

6 hours ago, SavageVolug said:

Cherche in FE13 (Awakening), she joins at a time where you should have at least a couple promoted guys on your team and is in her base class, but she's a wyver rider. And THAT automatically spells awesomeness. Allow her to get some EXP, some kills and she will end up dominating the playing field.

Ah, yes, I loved Cherche! And I relate to your experience with Charlotte, as seen in my first post :lol:.

------

5 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Odin is often cited as a bad unit in Fates, but in my current LP, he's been amazing. Conquest Ironman LP

Wait, really?! I did my best with him in my conquest run but he just refused to improve :(:. I'm glad to know he's salvageable.

2 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

In New Mystery/Shadow Dragon, I've made both Julian and Feena into really good combat units.  Often times, a better move for Feena would actually be to attack an opponent instead of refreshing a unit, that's how good she became.

I love dancer units in general, and that includes Feena, so I made her into a great unit too. But I tried with Julian for a long while (since I needed a Thief who wouldn't die as soon as someone attacked him), and his growth was just so bad, I couldn't keep on using him.

9 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

In my current FE6 playthrough, Marcus is wielding Durandal. In chapter 22. I'm serious.

He's not even just good in the usual "Jeigans can still rescue!" sense. Instead, he's gained enough stats to be a really competent combat unit with the aid of his full support with Roy. Even though, admittedly, he's not my best unit (that honour belongs to Lot), the fact that he can still both dish out and take damage better than half of my elites is quite baffling, to say the least.

Probably my most ridiculously blessed unit ever. I've had blessed units (Matthis carried one of my FE12 playthroughs. Matthis), but a blessed Jeigan? And the best part about it is, it's all recorded. Shameless self-advertising!

WHy. There's Perceval and Alen, and you choose Marcus. I'm not sure whether I'm proud or disappointed.

15 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

Wait, really?! I did my best with him in my conquest run but he just refused to improve :(:. I'm glad to know he's salvageable.

He has a good stat line for Nostanking, which is how I made mine good.

In my latest playthrough of Awakening it was:

Donnel. I wanted to challenge myself and not go out of my way to grind him up, so I had him pair up with Kellam for the attack and defense boost, and I gave him some tonics. A few chapters later,  he was level 12, and I then promoted him to mercenary and the rest was history. He literally was unable to die. Most attacks did only 1 damage to him (even when he wasn't paired) and even still he dodged most of the things thrown at him. I actually had him solo the last few chapters of the game to see if he could die, and he just didn't. (he also capped three stats once he hit level 20 as a hero). And the thing is: no other Donnel I had was this unable to die, and that was when I had access to the DLC chapters.

Edited by Jerry Kuma

I always thought meg was a pretty solid mixed bulk unit in radiant dawn, she was able to take on red and white dragons equally well and her speed stat helped her not get doubled.

kurthnaga was an absolute beast on my last RD playthrough, he was almost as broken as dheginsea, his only real problem was that laguz take more effort than usual to increase weapon ranks, but aside from that give him blossom and paragon and he can get the levels to really do some damage then once he is past that phase he is one of the best imbue users in the game. In that playthrough I also used lyre for the heck of it, and it wasn't until part 4 that she would get an SS strike rank, no she was not good I am just noting this for reference.

2 hours ago, Chopper... said:

Oh, is he regarded as a poor unit? I mean, that about fire tomes being very heavy was annoying but aside from that I guess he was generally good in my game. He was hard to move though, or at least in comparison to the ponies.

Ah, yes, I loved Cherche! And I relate to your experience with Charlotte, as seen in my first post :lol:.

I don't know if Azel is regarded as a poor unit necessarily but the weight of the fire tomes certainly doesn't help any, it's more he seemed harder to give kills too especially since being a mage he lacked the sturdyness of units like Culan who while also a foot unit at least has the bulk to be put in the front lines. While Azel doesn't at least not until he gets his promotion. Which is REALLY good I might add so once gotten there it is well worth the effort, this time around though which is my 2nd run of the game I think I've figured out ways to give him more experience though which pleases me greatly.

A few months back I was playing Conquest and somehow my Kaze managed to cap strength without stat boosters. It was absurd (that said, his str. cap is 15 or 25 for ninja or master ninja, so still super low). He ripped through people later on. 

In my most recent run, I had my Leo level speed for 4 or 5 levels in a row, which put him into consistent doubling range for the rest of the game. He was a demon on a horse, and when I Sorc'ed him at xl16 he just got faster and hit harder. 

In Awakening I have a tendency to favor Virion, but even on my first playthrough the man became my most reliable ranged unit. I will never not advocate for an early forged longbow for our noble friend. There is always an opportunity to chip or kill for him. 

In GBA I never really had any super scary standout units actually. Hero!Garcia put in a lot of work for me last time I played SS, it was actually really nice to early promote him in time for the Ghost ship. Fuck the ghost ship. 

Sedgar. I didn't expect him to be great but my god he is amazing. Busted and super great in general. Love Sedgar and Wolff. Especially in 11, General Sedgar is the best unit in the game next to Marth and Ceada. 

Well, let's see...off the top of my head:

Mystery/New Mystery: Feena, Julian.

While its typical of Fire Emblem to have weak dancers and thieves, Feena and Julian are an exception.  Feena is initially weak due to her base stats but given enough training (made easier with the fact that she can dance), she turned out to be a pretty solid combat unit. Her Defense was a problem but her Avoid and Speed mostly made up for it.

Julian also initially starts out weak but his high growths allowed him to turn out pretty solid, especially in Book 2/New Mystery. He became one of my main units and my main Thief since Rickard is absolute shite.

Genealogy of the Holy War: Ethlyn, Dew

Ethlyn has pretty low growth rates but despite all that, she always turns out pretty great for me. Being a mounted a healer already makes her quite valuable and easy to level up, and getting the light brand in Chapter 2 makes things much easier for her in combat. What's most noteworthy is that she gains a pretty high amount of stat gains after her promotion, and she begins to do more criticals. She's always my main combat unit and healer in Gen 1 until the end of Chapter 3 (after which she leaves).

Dew's pretty bad initially due to his low base stats (except in Speed and Luck), but after getting him to level 20 through boss abuse and promoting him, he significantly becomes way stronger. This seemed to be mainly because of his stat gains through promotion which, like Ethlyn's, are quite high. So basically it made it easier for him to not only fight but also survive and get away with money.

Binding Blade: Wendy 

Wendy has horrid base stats and everyone knows that. But in all my playthroughs I managed to make her one of my main combat units, though it required some babying of course. Some level ups before the Axeland chapters makes it more easier for her to survive, and she often has blessed level ups for me, so there's that.

12 hours ago, Chopper... said:

Azel's major problem is not really his stats, which are fine for the most part, but the Tome he starts out. The fire tome is just too heavy for Azel that it makes it difficult for him to avoid attacks, despite his Speed. A Speed Ring should be able to fix this problem though, until he gets a Wind tome.

13 hours ago, PikmTheHero said:

WHy. There's Perceval and Alen, and you choose Marcus. I'm not sure whether I'm proud or disappointed.

I see you too have read the LP.  No, wait, because the LP explains how that happened.  Go read it, then complain about it.

---

Had a random FE7 draft run that was carried by Wil, of all people.

Ellerean was a pleasant surprise - he's pretty fast, quite bulky, and has just enough growths to make Chapter 21 far less headache-inducing.  Wyverns do something like 3HKO him, while he 1HKOs back with Excalibur.

Say what you will about Ignatius, but he's been absolutely solid for me.  He makes a hilarious Vanguard!

21 hours ago, Rezzy said:

He has a good stat line for Nostanking, which is how I made mine good.

True, although in my case he just didn't get a good growth :(:.

--------

19 hours ago, Mandokarla said:

A few months back I was playing Conquest and somehow my Kaze managed to cap strength without stat boosters. It was absurd (that said, his str. cap is 15 or 25 for ninja or master ninja, so still super low). He ripped through people later on. 

In Awakening I have a tendency to favor Virion, but even on my first playthrough the man became my most reliable ranged unit. I will never not advocate for an early forged longbow for our noble friend. There is always an opportunity to chip or kill for him.

I had Kaze play in every map in my conquest run, it takes time and love and faith. Virion was also my primary archer unit, although he was hard to use at first without lvl grinding.

19 hours ago, Mandokarla said:

Fuck the ghost ship. 

This.

--------------

8 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Julian also initially starts out weak but his high growths allowed him to turn out pretty solid, especially in Book 2/New Mystery. He became one of my main units and my main Thief since Rickard is absolute shite.

I tried to make him into a respectable unit, because I agree on that about Rickard, but my Julian couldn't care less about helping me rescue his lover in my run.

Also, that about Wendy, I know she's got a bad reputation but i do think that if you give her a chance and some effort, she can be great. Or maybe it's because I like her :P:

9 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Azel's major problem is not really his stats, which are fine for the most part, but the Tome he starts out. The fire tome is just too heavy for Azel that it makes it difficult for him to avoid attacks, despite his Speed. A Speed Ring should be able to fix this problem though, until he gets a Wind tome.

Fire tomes are ridiculous in this game, I swear. But yes, there are ways to go around that, and Azel is a good unit overall.

-----------

8 hours ago, Lost Impact said:

Samto turned out really well for me in FE12. I got good stat growths on him and he became pretty much a second Navarre.

I never gave a chance to him in FE12 because my avatar was a Myrmidon, and I already had two battling. But now I feel bad for him, hahaha.

Fire tomes are ridiculous in this game, I swear. But yes, there are ways to go around that, and Azel is a good unit overall.

I think Kaga just hated Fire tomes as much as he hated axes, lol, so no wonder why they're so bad in the game.

I tried to make him into a respectable unit, because I agree on that about Rickard, but my Julian couldn't care less about helping me rescue his lover in my run.

Also, that about Wendy, I know she's got a bad reputation but i do think that if you give her a chance and some effort, she can be great. Or maybe it's because I like her :P:

Well, you only ever need a Thief for unlocking chests, so at least Julian (and I guess Rickard) still have some use. 

And yeah, I too like Wendy. She does need effort for sure, but I can understand if people find it too difficult to train her.

I'd say Ricken and Panne (and to a lesser degree, Yarne, but I nicknamed him "Wildcard" for a reason) from Awakening.

I was actually surprised to hear that people thought that Ricken sucked, because in every single run I've done, he's turned out average at worst, only behind Robin at best. While generally not as good as the other magic users, I always found him useful regardless, and when the RNG blesses him, it shows. I'll agree with the sentiment that the other magic users are better than him, but a terrible unit he ain't.

As for Panne, while I admit that while I get more mileage out of the Taguel class than most others do (six move and ignoring the weapon triangle is surprisingly useful in several situations), it's far from the best class in the game, and she has a bad tendency to fall behind. When she did, I reclassed her into a wyvern rider not expecting much. Instead, she maxed strength before she hit level ten, grew outstandingly in the her other stats, and became my first unit besides Chrom and Robin to almost legitimately snap the game in half. Since then, wyvern rider Panne

I nicknamed Yanre "Wildcard" because he has a tendency to either become the most outstanding child character in terms of overall stats and utility... or his cowardly personality becomes almost scarily appropriate. There are times he's one of my elite troops, other times he was simply another average unit, and in some runs he was downright among the worst units I ever had the displeasure of recruiting and using. He's been in all three categories enough times that I really can't predict how he'll turn out.

New mystery: Arlen. Story-wise he is supposed to be weaker than Merric but on my second playthrough I decided to use him on classic hard, and he turns out to be amazing tank with high def growth. Then I reclass him to sword class (can't rmb which) and wield Levin sword just for the fun.

PoR: Illyana. Not best unit but rather best mage.

Birthright: Hisame. On his recruitment chapter he managed to proc Astra and crit twice using Sunrise Katana against the boss. He is a damning Astra crit machine even in Arena.

Awakening: Lon'qu!Kjelle and Stahl!Noire. A fast tank and tanky archer, I was surprised to see Kjelle gain so much speed without grinding on my first run. Noire being the first child unit that I recruited sure has a lots of defense so I almost never have to not worry about sending her to front line with a bow.  

5a8b1b753d6f7_0378-FireEmblem-SealedSword_1519054361491.png.51ffcdabceacb6b2bf404d6e44dd501f.png

Just like that. When I went to the bad unit run, I wasn't expecting anything good, and she doesn't really have a good joining time - you get Sue, or you already worked out with your bad Wolt. Being overshadowed by the competition, and having very little talk about her, I booked her as a character that nobody needs.

But I was wrong. Dead wrong. Her defense is bad, but her overall dodge and offensive capability made her into a top tier killing machine. And I didn't even built support for her. Imagine what she could be capable to do when she gets supports too. I was surprised by some character how they came out, but none come close to Dorothy. If this game wouldn't have such good time with Nomads, she would be number one archer.

For me, it was Guy in Blazing Sword. I was going to just use him for the early game, but then he leveled up strength a bunch of times and grew crazy strong. I gave him killing edges and threw him at bosses and it all worked out. 

This happened on my first playthrough of the game too, so when people told me other units like Raven and Harken were better, I was baffled. Guy is probably the reason I love early game myrmidons so much. 

Path of Radiance: Rolf. He was pathetic at level 1, but after a few levels proved invaluable in the ship chapters, then became better than Shinon stat wise at the same level (though this is just my personal experience). 

Radiant Dawn: Pelleas. I had heard that he comes late and underleveled, but he proved very useful in the long run. With a long-range dark tome, he was like artillery; only accurate. He hit like a truck and had enough strength that he could double-attack slower enemies even when using that long range dark tome. 

So I just took a peek on my Blazing Sword Wii U version and I was reminded that near the end of last year I had a run where Bartre of all people ended up being the MVP. I recall that I merely used him to get Karla for completionist sake. Figured if I had to do a HNM run before the game would allow me to play HHM, I might as well use the opportunity to get that out of the way.

But somewhere along the line he became a god among men. Despite not getting any favoritism whatsoever he somehow ended up being lv 20 promoted. And I would say I was going reasonably fast. I only did that run in order to unlock HHM after all. I wanted to get it done as quickly as possible. And yeah, I did get the 5 stars in Tactics. I wish I'd remember more of that run. Must have been pretty interesting.

Well, maybe it's just not all that hard getting to lv.20 promoted if you don't waste EXP on Lyn and Eliwood.

FE7 - Matthew turned out to be one of my best units his speed was so high that he almost never got hit along with him getting a crit around every other attack made up for his low strength cap and somehow he just won against nearly everything.

I've had two instances of really weird, unorthodox, but amazing units.
The first, was HHM Guy in FE7. He's already decent, with HM bonuses and all that junk, but this Guy... was special.

He grew Str literally EVERY SINGLE LEVEL UP. To the point he capped it at level 16. 
He missed one single level of str.
I promoted him soon after, and he then proceeded to squash HHM harder than Ryoma does on a Normal mode Birthright run.

The second, was, bizarrely enough, a generic Sorcerer, in Lunatic Birthright.
It was around chapter 23 (The Camilla one), and I was using Witch Orochi, because I wanted SOME type of magic user, but she was the only one I had...
So, I thought "hey, there's a skirmish around. How bout I grind a little and capture a unit or two?"
This was my first encounter with Lunatic skirmishes, and I was... shocked.
The enemies weren't just equal to my army, they were BETTER, than my army.
To the point where it was normal for their ratings to be above 130.
On FUCKING GENERICS!
I captured a level 9 Berserker, a level 10 General, a level 9 Paladin,
and the god that was this generic.
The boss was a level 14 Sorcerer, with 47 HP, CAPPED MAGIC, mid to high twenties in everything else but luck and Res, those being 7 luck, and THIRTY TWO RES!
He also had the skills Heartseeker, Vengeance, and Bowbreaker.

Suffice it to say, I captured him, and after pairing him up with Silas, he slaughtered the rest of the game with a forged Snake Spirit and a Nosferatu (which I got from My Castle rewards).
His name, was Roderick.
And he was a god among men.

So yeah, that's my story.

In Genealogy: Jamka. He moves well enough, destroys everything he touches with very few exceptions, and has respectable bulk and avoid. Even when the enemy unit triumphs over Sigard and everyone else, Jamka ends up being the one who takes it down. To be fair, Jamka can't attack enemy melee units on enemy's phase, but within the confines of being an archer he excels. The killer bow is aptly named. Note that these comments are on the Jamka that my friend and I played with. It's possible that our Jamka is above average. Oh, and he defeated the arena around level 11 or something, way before Sigurd could. Ever since that he has had nothing but effortless victories over everything.