Has anyone noticed how barren Axe Cavalry is as a category?

Corrobin

We only have five: Gunter, Fredrick, Titania, Spring!Alphonse and Groom!Marth. I mean, that's more than say, Red Tome Cavalry, but compared to the decent amount of Lance and Sword Cavalry we have, it feels lopsided.

Eclipse might not be happy with your exact choice of language, anything like "Am I the only one who..." did receive her criticism when the FE3H trailer was revealed. Not to minimod or anything.

This said, the dearth of Axe Cav has been noticed plenty before. Only three of them in the standard pool, and one is the victim of a scrapped Jagen BST idea, so it amounts only to two viable standard picks. Not sure how Awkward Bunny Bulge and Garth are, but at least the latter was free to all.

We don't have too many canon Axe Cavs we could add: Walhart, Kieran, Lex, Iuchar, Brighton, and Hicks. Duessel also has a high probability of being an axer, but he is not popular. Of these, only Walhart and maybe Kieran have any popularity.

We do have all the GBA Cavs/Pallies, some of whom could go Axe since they can use them there, but none are too popular either.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Hopefully Edelgard being a crazed axe murderer helps correct the perception of axes being third-class citizens. Swords are lame anyway, only good as sidearms.

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This said, the dearth of Axe Cav has been noticed plenty before. Only three of them in the standard pool, and one is the victim of a scrapped Jagen BST idea, so it amounts only to two viable standard picks. Not sure how Awkward Bunny Bulge and Garth are, but at least the latter was free to all.

Spring Alfonse has an offensive spread of 35/33, and he’s often considered the best Axe calvary and Groom Marth has an offensive spread of 31/36 which is pretty solid.

Axes are pretty barren as a category at all, especially those in the general pool. A grand total of four, I repeat it, four axes have been added to the general pool over sixteen months. One axe every four months on average. This is absolutely deplorable.

Only Titania has been added to the regular pool since launch.  Who knows when Alfonse will be back, and Marth was a TT reward, and only Masked Marth has reappeared at all, in that category.

We really need Kieran.  They could also add Marcus as an Axe Cav, since we definitely don't need another Sword or Lance Jeigan.

We're also still missing a Firesweep Axe and a Wo Dao equivalent (that isn't a giant spoon) entirely, and the Poleaxe still has very limited availability.

Axes are not in great shape in general. It also doesn't help that the other weapon it shares a color with is green tomes, which is the only magic type that isn't two types of magic mashed into one.

At least green breath has been getting tons of love.

5 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

We're also still missing a Firesweep Axe and a Wo Dao equivalent (that isn't a giant spoon) entirely, and the Poleaxe still has very limited availability.

Axes are not in great shape in general. It also doesn't help that the other weapon it shares a color with is green tomes, which is the only magic type that isn't two types of magic mashed into one.

At least green breath has been getting tons of love.

Green tomes don't seem to be hurting.  Looking at the regular pool, there are five 5* Axes and six 5* Green Tomes.  Moving over to 3*, there's 12 axes and 5 tomes.  In most games, there's usually a similar amount of axe wielders and tome users, and as stated, tomes are being split into three categories.

4 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Green tomes don't seem to be hurting.  Looking at the regular pool, there are five 5* Axes and six 5* Green Tomes.  Moving over to 3*, there's 12 axes and 5 tomes.  In most games, there's usually a similar amount of axe wielders and tome users, and as stated, tomes are being split into three categories.

Must just be my memory getting dusty for not remembering some of the newer green tomes.

Either way, if you count green tomes in the regular summoning pool plus free characters (i.e. if you ignore limited banners), the other two colors do still outnumber them (11 + 1 green, 11 + 4 red, 13 + 3 blue), just not with as big of a gap as I remember.

Every. Day.

Pop Quiz: I'm making a Tellius Banner titled "Dauntless Crimeans". Who's the first unit you'd expect to show up?

In general the only type of cav we got a sufficient number of are Sword Cavs with their fancy personal weapons trying to outdo each other. We've had five lance cavs added to the game since launch that aren't TT/GHB. And two of those are limited availability besides. We've got two cav archers and neither of them come from the games. You know there are four playable nomads from FE6/7. Plus Astrid and some bow knights from SNES era.

My ranked Axe Cav wishlist:

1. Kieran
  2. Marcus (FE6)
  3. Othin
  4. Walhart
  5. Isadora

5 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Pop Quiz: I'm making a Tellius Banner titled "Dauntless Crimeans". Who's the first unit you'd expect to show up?

Vladimir Putin

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

In general the only type of cav we got a sufficient number of are Sword Cavs with their fancy personal weapons trying to outdo each other. We've had five lance cavs added to the game since launch that aren't TT/GHB. And two of those are limited availability besides. We've got two cav archers and neither of them come from the games. You know there are four playable nomads from FE6/7. Plus Astrid and some bow knights from SNES era.

Only three non-limited availability Lance Cavs? For all they break many FEs, natural Cavs on the whole are lacking in FEH in popularity. For all their gameplay goodness, are their personalities and appearances just lacking?

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:
  • Kieran
  • Marcus (FE6)
  • Othin
  • Walhart
  • Isadora

Othin/Orsin/Osian/Oceania/Ossification is not an Axe Cav, he is Fighter/Hero.

Isadora, who was apparently the least popular FE7 PC on the old poll, would be a way of getting Axe Cav and a female. A little weird though, since a Steel Axe in FE7 inflicts -9 AS on her due to her tiny 6 Con, the minimum she suffers is -4 from Iron. Not at all a good thing when her durability is *achoo!*, oops, she is off to a first responder for treatment.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Eclipse might not be happy with your exact choice of language, anything like "Am I the only one who..." did receive her criticism when the FE3H trailer was revealed. Not to minimod or anything.

I've only bumped into you a few times (like less than 5) but out of those you were doing exactly what you claim to not be trying to do. That is mini-moding. In the first one you literally acted like a snitch and tagged her with @ just to get her to come look at the thread and defend your point after several people on the thread were not on your side. So you do and like to minimod.  You even mentioned her name right now instead of saying "hey be careful how you word what you say since that has previously attracted negative attention" or something along those lines

Edited by Tediz64

There are a few axe characters that already should have been in the game. Adding Oscar instead of Kiran on the Crimea banner was still a weird choice.

However I don't see the Axe group getting that much bigger outside of a seasonal here or there. Most axe users are either old, not pretty or a combination of the two. You have one or two exception like Boyd, but even they may lose out as each game only gets around 4 new picks before they have to wait a few months. There being so few girl axe users also doesn't help.

6 minutes ago, Sasori said:

You have one or two exception like Boyd, but even they may lose out as each game only gets around 4 new picks before they have to wait a few months.

Boyd has a decent shot if they do another Greil Mercenaries banner since there'd be him, Rolf, Shinon, and Gatrie available. (We can get Miwabe Sakura to draw Rolf and try to pass him off as female.) Nolan has a decent shot for Dawn Brigade since we have him, Edward, and Leonardo, and all of them have canon personal weapons.

9 minutes ago, Sasori said:

There being so few girl axe users also doesn't help.

There's always Rinkah. And a Lissa alt.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Othin/Orsin/Osian/Oceania/Ossification is not an Axe Cav, he is Fighter/Hero.

lol whoops. Guess I just really want him in the game. Then I guess add Lex to my list. Or Silas since I know he's often requested.

2 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

I've only bumped into you a few times (like less than 5) but out of those you were doing exactly what you claim to not be trying to do. That is mini-moding. In the first one you literally acted like a snitch and tagged her with @ just to get her to come look at the thread and defend your point after several people on the thread were not on your side. So you do and like to minimod.  You even mentioned her name right now instead of saying "hey be careful how you word what you say since that has previously attracted negative attention" or something along those lines

Projection much?

---

The reason why I don't feel like axe cavalry is lacking is because four of them are really good.  Frederick is an Atk-stacked horse with physical bulk, Titania has a really good Res stat (in other words, a good DC candidate), Groom Marth is pretty fast with decent physical bulk, and Alphonse is the crazy offensive guy with a half-decent defense stat.  The only real loser IMO is Gunter, but he makes up for it by having Hone Cavalry.  They may be low in numbers, but they do their jobs well.

In other words, I noticed, and didn't care.

Honestly I notice it but I don't particularly mind. Axe cavs aren't very common in the main series in the first place, so it makes sense that we only have 5, and the ones we have remaining (Lex, Brighton, Kieran, some others I likely forgot) aren't likely to be randomly changed in weapon type. So the future of Axe cavaliers seems pretty bright. Once they eventually maybe get added.

What does bug me is how little Lance armors we have. Not because they're particularly good or need anything else stat wise, they have most things covered. But it's their primary weapon type in the main series, and it feels weird to have an equal amount as Sword and less than Axe armors. Seasonals aside... man, there are really only 9 Armors in the normal pool, and one's a Dragon? Geez, get Kellam and Bors here already, put 'em at 3*.

Axes on the whole is a pretty barren category in Heroes. It probably has a lot to do with axe users generally not being very prominent when they aren't Hector. In the older games axe users were often boring or mutes. If a villain uses an axe its usually a junior villain like Langobald or Caellach rather then a main villain.

There are some good axe users but unfortunately they tend to appear in games Heroes doesn't like to focus on. Sacred Stones has some great axe users in Garcia, Ross and Ceallach but them getting in requires Sacred Stones to get more attention which won't be happening. Lex from Genealogy is also an excellent character and a horse axeman to boot but he's a minor character from 4 which means his chances are low. There's Boyd of course who's a pretty important Greil mercenary but he probably won't be getting in either. If Tellius gets more attention its likely going to the Laguz since they already added Greil mercenaries and Crimeans.  

7 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

I wasn't intending to be stern or anything, just a little kind possible advice for their sake to avoid a little reprimand, I wasn't trying to reprimand them myself. I know better than not to be the rules police when it isn't my actual job- I learned that sometime in my mandatory schooling when I WAS that at times, to ill-effect for myself more than the people I tended to police.

Still, perhaps it is for the best I just let the mods come in and do as they must without others getting a little, intended to be friendly, heads up. The only heads up they need if any, can be said to be that code of conduct always viewable at all times.

6 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

(We can get Miwabe Sakura to draw Rolf and try to pass him off as female.)

*Sigh* While I wouldn't love it, giving Rolf a super trappy appearance, with a matching unbroken voice VA- Actually no, change that thought, I'm not willing to THAT far to get him in.

6 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

There's always Rinkah. And a Lissa alt.

They really missed an opportunity when they didn't do a FEW-themed banner with Bolt Axe Lissa, Moonlight Elise, and Spellbane Yumi Sakura; Peerless Sisters would have been a fun banner. The TT could have gone to whoever. 

And I hope they do choose a good club for Rinkah, would be disappointed if she got a physical axe.

3 hours ago, Emerson said:

What does bug me is how little Lance armors we have. Not because they're particularly good or need anything else stat wise, they have most things covered. But it's their primary weapon type in the main series, and it feels weird to have an equal amount as Sword and less than Axe armors. Seasonals aside... man, there are really only 9 Armors in the normal pool, and one's a Dragon? Geez, get Kellam and Bors here already, put 'em at 3*.

Armors, like axers, tend to be male, sometimes old, and with boring personalities that don't have any appeal. Which is why FEW probably had no playable armors- nobody really stood out in this category, and adding Effie would likely mean a parallel Hoshidan addition in the form of Hana or Subaki.

Draug is only in because he is the first, and he was in the initial FEH release, unlike say Gwendolyn or Effie, he never would have otherwise made it in.

Dolph and Macellan might as well not exist as characters, Roger hardly less so.

Lorenz, Hannibal, Xavier, Douglas, Tauroneo, and Horace are all old traitors. Tauroneo is an actually good character, but is just too old on the surface to be real popular. Xavier has the World's Most Infamous Recruitment, but Thracian obscurity dooms him (as it does Dalsin). Wallace has zest, but is also old. 

Bors, Barthe, Oswin, Gilliam- all boring.

Gatrie- well as an outgoing philanderer he is different, but sadly for him, Tellius has so many better choices for additions.

Brom- again, old, and FAT! Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Only Duke Tanas is memely beautiful and of volume (Arden also got in on memes), Brom is certainly not. 

Meg might be fat, but she is a girl, which makes all the difference. Sadly though, she is a Sword Armor, so no new Lance here.

Kellam is one of the worst cases of Awakening making a character around a lone gimmick, I can't see him being very popular.

Kjelle? She is female, Lance, and from Awakening, but just how popular is she amongst the kids, I don't think she is particularly well-loved for some reason (although she does have some drunk homoerotic lines with Severa or something I do remember if they really want to pander her character).

Benny, maybe he has some popularity? I'd like him as a mixed wall by the way. But his son Ignatius I believe was in one poll shown to be the least popular Fates child.

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

There are some good axe users but unfortunately they tend to appear in games Heroes doesn't like to focus on. Sacred Stones has some great axe users in Garcia, Ross and Ceallach but them getting in requires Sacred Stones to get more attention which won't be happening.

Garcia is too old and masculine. Caellach as GHB sounds feasible, but I'm feeling Selena Fluorspar would be the next SS one. Ross is young, and a trainee, that should mean a good deal of popularity, not to mention he was great as a Berserker. 

SS already has its outmost popular layer in: the royals of Magvel, plus Myrrh, Amelia, Seth, Lute, Marisfu, and Valter. There are still more girls than SoV has left to add, but not too many and none too popular, SS's next banner, sans Gleipnirika 2- Laton'archel, will have to be male dominated. Ross stands a decent chance of getting in here.

Or, they can take the rather popular Greil-ish figure of Gerik and pull a Raven on him and throw him an Axe, his Con was so massive (11/13 in Japan, 13/15 in International) that he was even more than Raven a primary Axe user on promotion.

30 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Or, they can take the rather popular Greil-ish figure of Gerik and pull a Raven on him and throw him an Axe, his Con was so massive (11/13 in Japan, 13/15 in International) that he was even more than Raven a primary Axe user on promotion.

That's certainly possible but refusing to put in the good axe users and just settling on giving random sword users an axe would still ensure that axe users get snubbed at the end of the day. There are some good axe users so they shouldn't be afraid to use them. 

There are at least 2 perfectly capable axe cavalry who could be added to the game (Hicks and Brighton), but instead IS adds 2 axe cavalry who: A) don't use axes, and B) are alts.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Armors, like axers, tend to be male, sometimes old, and with boring personalities that don't have any appeal. Which is why FEW probably had no playable armors- nobody really stood out in this category, and adding Effie would likely mean a parallel Hoshidan addition in the form of Hana or Subaki.

Draug is only in because he is the first, and he was in the initial FEH release, unlike say Gwendolyn or Effie, he never would have otherwise made it in.

Dolph and Macellan might as well not exist as characters, Roger hardly less so.

Lorenz, Hannibal, Xavier, Douglas, Tauroneo, and Horace are all old traitors. Tauroneo is an actually good character, but is just too old on the surface to be real popular. Xavier has the World's Most Infamous Recruitment, but Thracian obscurity dooms him (as it does Dalsin). Wallace has zest, but is also old. 

Bors, Barthe, Oswin, Gilliam- all boring.

Gatrie- well as an outgoing philanderer he is different, but sadly for him, Tellius has so many better choices for additions.

Brom- again, old, and FAT! Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Only Duke Tanas is memely beautiful and of volume (Arden also got in on memes), Brom is certainly not. 

Meg might be fat, but she is a girl, which makes all the difference. Sadly though, she is a Sword Armor, so no new Lance here.

Kellam is one of the worst cases of Awakening making a character around a lone gimmick, I can't see him being very popular.

Kjelle? She is female, Lance, and from Awakening, but just how popular is she amongst the kids, I don't think she is particularly well-loved for some reason (although she does have some drunk homoerotic lines with Severa or something I do remember if they really want to pander her character).

Benny, maybe he has some popularity? I'd like him as a mixed wall by the way. But his son Ignatius I believe was in one poll shown to be the least popular Fates child.

Just because there not popular doesn't mean IS has to act like they don't exist. Good god I'm sick of IS's pointless alts and seasonal banners.

7 minutes ago, Tuvy said:

Just because there not popular doesn't mean IS has to act like they don't exist. Good god I'm sick of IS's pointless alts and seasonal banners.

They are a business, so profits come first. I assume they did enough research and concluded that releasing alts and Special Heroes would make more money than releasing ax cavalry into the regular pool.