Thoughts on Tactics Drills (May Contain Solution Spoilers)

How do you all feel about these new tactics drills? I personally think they are a really fun way to introduce new mechanics to the game, and this will really help everyone get a feel for new skills. It also seems like it will offer a decent challenge for more advanced players as new characters and skills are added.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are a nice tutorial and source of free feathers.

I'm too tired to figure out the grandmaster ones, but I figure since they're always the same, if I wait long enough I can look up a turn-for-turn guide, if I still can't figure it out.

I had very low expectations, like maybe literally one map of each category this week. Seeing dozens of maps is a pleasant surprise.

Interesting that the Grandmaster ones aren't any more rewarding than the basic ones, but hey, anyone can just look up the winning strategy on YouTube so it's irrelevant I suppose.

It's 7 orbs and 12k feathers total today if my quick maffs isn't faulty. Noice. Can get my +4 Nino done and back to the drawing board.

Edited by Humanoid

I like the challenge. I'm stuck in one of the Grandmaster ones and my phone ran out of battery so I'll leave it like that for now but I like the puzzle-like challenges. I will also refuse to look f2p guides for these, that's just going to ruin the fun but it's nice for those who want easy feathers/orbs I guess.

The tutorials are cool for newbies, I like that they start extremely basic and go into more advanced tactics step by step.

Poor Virion, if this mode had come in a couple months earlier, he'd be the star here.

EDIT: Wait, Arvis? Poor Raigh.

Edited by Humanoid

I love how the last veteran map is Chapter 8 from Binding Blade, very nice touch.

I haven't finished the veteran maps, but they look very interesting.

It took me a while to finish the first Grandmaster challenge.  If this is any indication of the rest of the mode, I'm going to enjoy this greatly.

I like the free rewards. I took the easy route and looked up everything on the Grandmaster maps besides the first map.

2 hours ago, Humanoid said:

It's 7 orbs and 12k feathers total today if my quick maffs isn't faulty.

The Feathers are really nice for new players, as they can promote crucial units like Reinhardt and Nowi almost immediately once they add more maps to the mode.

Edited by XRay

33 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

Chapter 8 from Binding Blade

Flashbacks from Vietnam. My PTSD caused by that map made me put aside my randomized run of Binding Blade for now

I don't quite like the Grandmaster challenges. Almost all of them require you to put yourself in unnecessary risk or pick a suboptimal option in order to reach the turn limit. You can call it a lesson in calculated risk, but I think it's rather moronic that I have to get my low Res unit hit by a Blue mage instead of counter killing with my Green mage just so I can speed things up. Tactically speaking, there is literally zero reason for me to not spend an extra turn on the last two enemies to reduce any chance of me losing.

I dig 'em. I managed to beat Grandmasters 1, 2, and 5, and I'll take a look at the others later.

I do wish the rewards were a bit higher, but I guess when it's something any player can eventually just look up, it's not quite the same.

I shamelessly admit to looking up the solutions for the last 6 Grandmaster ones (the first was kinda easy, the second had me stumped for a little while), and my god the solutions are way too out there for even veterans.

I cannot remember the last time I ever heard anyone in the playerbase say "If only I had used Harsh Command", or even acknowledge the skill existed at all, yet here we are with a challenge that directly asks you to take advantage of Harsh Command. And then there's the risks that any ACTUAL veteran would tell you not to take unless you needed to rush a section of the map, which to be fair you do here, but you need to take those risks with the COMPLETELY WRONG UNITS.

I think what I hate most is that the maps are cut off by 2 rows thanks to the textbox, and many of the map layouts are far too cramped. It's suffocating. I'm not asking for a clean open field, and I know the map design was to enable very specific solutions to a map, but I actually got hung up on the freaking Reposition tutorial because I didn't realize the textbox was taking up map space.

Maybe the Grandmaster challenges were only hard because I don't utilize any of the tactics they demand use of in them, so I wouldn't know how to actually clear the maps myself, because the first 2 I found much simpler to clear because I do actually use the tactics utilized in them. I will not discount that fact whatsoever. But this was a perfectly good chance to try and teach me how to do them, and all I got was a smack into the arena with a piece of paper that may as well have said "don't die!".

But the actual tutorials I feel do actually do their job and would enable a new player to learn how FEH plays without the classic Trial and Error the early players had to do.

Edited by Xenomata

I see it as free feathers and orbs. I guess they limited the amount of orbs given because IS knew that people are just going to look up on the solutions if they can't figure out the maps themselves. I also like that it allows the player to test-drive units that they may not be able to get on their own or have no interest of pulling beforehand.

Grandmaster 1 took a while since it required sub-optimal tactics in order to reach the turn limit. However, once you know where every unit will be at the start of the third turn, it becomes clear where your units need to be placed in order to reach them.

Grandmaster 2 was pretty quick. Who has which skill and which enemies are where tells you which island each unit needs to be on for the last turn. Fury's recoil damage was also a dead giveaway.

I'm now working on Grandmaster 3. I swear this game mode is going to keep me up all night, and I'm going to be pudding for work tomorrow.

Edited by Ice Dragon

The darting blow mage in 1 irked me so much. It made me think that I'm supposed to tank her with Morgan so that I have a target to smoke next turn when she survives enemy phase

The first level was pretty basic, which is expected, and the second was also pretty easy, save a few curveballs, but hot damn Grandmaster is a challenge.

I really hope we get more down the line because I'm so down for this mode. Plus like, 15k feathers and a few orbs is great.

Finally got around to advancing past the basic tutorials and started knocking the others over. It's, eh, okay I guess. I don't feel it has any real value as tactical training, it's just puzzling out the one solution. It's analoguous to how Sudoku is, as opposed to something like Chess.

10 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

as opposed to something like Chess.

Tactics Drills are virtually no different from forced checkmate puzzles in chess.

For anyone not familiar, those are puzzles made by providing an in-progress game of chess where the player is tasked to force the opponent into checkmate in a specified number of moves. The checkmate is forced because after each of the player's moves, the opponent must be left with exactly one legal move until checkmate is achieved. Typically, there is exactly one solution that must be found by the player.

Pulled Grandmaster 3 off, that was stupid how often I was just one move away from winning and didn't know it.
But Grandmaster 4 reminds me how bad I am in I.A. manipulation. 

At least I am reminded how bad I am at chess and on thinking turns ahead.

Edited by Stroud

7 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I don't quite like the Grandmaster challenges. Almost all of them require you to put yourself in unnecessary risk or pick a suboptimal option in order to reach the turn limit. You can call it a lesson in calculated risk, but I think it's rather moronic that I have to get my low Res unit hit by a Blue mage instead of counter killing with my Green mage just so I can speed things up. Tactically speaking, there is literally zero reason for me to not spend an extra turn on the last two enemies to reduce any chance of me losing.

6 hours ago, Xenomata said:

I cannot remember the last time I ever heard anyone in the playerbase say "If only I had used Harsh Command", or even acknowledge the skill existed at all, yet here we are with a challenge that directly asks you to take advantage of Harsh Command. And then there's the risks that any ACTUAL veteran would tell you not to take unless you needed to rush a section of the map, which to be fair you do here, but you need to take those risks with the COMPLETELY WRONG UNITS.

I do not think the Grandmaster Maps are supposed to teach tactics suitable for Arena or competitive play.

They are more like puzzles that encourage players to think outside the box when solving more challenging content like Infernal Grand Hero Battles and such, since not everyone has merged +10 ponies/fliers that can trivialize the map.