Thoughts on Tactics Drills (May Contain Solution Spoilers)

My greatest mistakes in this mode was the fact that I constantly underestimated the bulk of many units. When I looked up for solutions, my mistakes were always the fact that I didn’t put a unit into a enemy’s range. 

Anyone having problems with Grandmaster 3, my advice is not to underestimate Takumi’s and Nowi’s bulk. 

Edited by Water Mage

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, XRay said:

I do not think the Grandmaster Maps are supposed to teach tactics suitable for Arena or competitive play.

They are more like puzzles that encourage players to think outside the box when solving more challenging content like Infernal Grand Hero Battles and such, since not everyone has merged +10 ponies/fliers that can trivialize the map.

I know, it's just that the thinking outside the box here involves suboptimal play to meet a specific time limit, which irks me. There have been multiple maps where I found a path much safer and smarter than the solution, just one phase or turn slower. Even in content like GHBs, I would pick the smarter but slightly slower path as long as it solves the problem. The Grandmaster maps just aren't my cup of tea.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

56 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Anyone having problems with Grandmaster 3, my advice is not to underestimate Takumi’s and Nowi’s bulk. 

I'm most certainly not underestimating it because they keep dying.

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

Ugh, that really had me stuck on it for a while because of that. I really didn't expect them to tank what they had to for the clear.

14 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm most certainly not underestimating it because they keep dying.

Have you tried to use Rally Defense on Takumi in the first turn then have him block the bridge, then take advantage of Cherche’s Fortify Def on Nowi, and have Nowi block the bridge on Phase 3?

@Alkaid Honestly I realized their bulk by accident, when I misplaced Takumi.

The Healers in Grandmaster 4 also suprised me with their bulk.

Edited by Water Mage

7 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Have you tried to use Rally Defense on Takumi in the first turn have him block the bridge, then take advantage of Cherche’s Fortify Def on Nowi, and have Nowi block the bridge on Phase 3?

Yes. I am then either left with two very angry dragon knights that I can't get rid of or a dead Nowi and two somewhat less angry dragon knights.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Yes. I am then either left with two very angry dragon knights that I can't get rid of or a dead Nowi and two somewhat less angry dragon knights.

Do it like this:

-Use Rally Defense on Takumi

-Have him block the bridge

-Place Cherche next to Nowi because of Fortify Def

-After the enemy turn put Takumi out of enemy range

-Have Nowi block the bridge

-Attack the Lance Wyvern with Cherche

-After the enemy turn attack the remaining Wyvern with Takumi and have Cherche use Pivot on Nowi while Nowi still blocks the bridge

-The Armor Knight will attack Cherche and she beats him.

2/8 Tactics Drill Grand Master. Managed to beat the first 2 and banged my head against the one with Pain and the last one. I have no idea, god these are hard.

But damn do I love them. These really are like Duel Puzzles from Yu-Gi-Oh! games. <3

Edited by Marston

I love it.

Especially the harder ones can sometimes have slightly different multiple solutions on the last turn.

Spoiler

Edit: Edited for Grandmaster 8 spoiler
Edited by shadowofchaos

I kinda love how tightly calculated the stats are so that something that's almost certainly a wrong answer ends up with enemies with 1 HP.

Beat 3 and 8, but I really need to take a break from these and do AA before I forget

edit: Also yeah don't go giving out the answers for these, especially if people don't ask for hints or solutions. There's surely places elsewhere for that sort of thing.

Edited by Johann

1 minute ago, shadowofchaos said:

At the very least they put it in a spoiler.

I almost screwed up there. Good thing I caught it.

To late. I now hate you forever. 

The Grandmaster ones were...a mix of interesting and annoying. I had the most trouble with the Alm/Clair/Gray/Faye one, though Horse Chrom’s gets an “honorable” mention because it took me a while to properly work out how to not get anyone horribly killed.

I haven’t tried the hard ones yet.

A lot of the grandmaster ones feel like there's only one solution which is a bit annoying in my opinion, since part of why I enjoy FE is that you can play it how you want to play it. Pretty clear they are not meant to teach anything either, unless someone really wants to make their life hard and go to arena with three units and only escape route or wings of mercy equipped. Haven't bothered with the other ones yet but I'm assuming those are less finicky.

1 hour ago, Johann said:

edit: Also yeah don't go giving out the answers for these, especially if people don't ask for hints or solutions. There's surely places elsewhere for that sort of thing.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm not looking.

I realize now that I shouldn’t have posted an answer here. Though I hope putting it in a spoiler helped not ruin it for people.

37 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

I realize now that I shouldn’t have posted an answer here. Though I hope putting it in a spoiler helped not ruin it for people.

I didn't check it, I figured out how to beat grandmaster 3 on my own, so I doubt it should be much of a problem so long as it is in a spoiler tag.

should I change the title to be safe?

I loved the last three puzzles, although I wish they provided more feathers/orbs. I'll take what I can, though, since I'm working on a +10 merge project.

1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I didn't check it, I figured out how to beat grandmaster 3 on my own, so I doubt it should be much of a problem so long as it is in a spoiler tag.

should I change the title to be safe?

Maybe, if people keep posting the solutions here.

Speaking of solutions, it’s infuriating how the solution for Grandmaster 3, the one with Takumi, Nowi and Cherche, was actually really simple. When I figured it out, it made me feel real dumb.

I love ignoring the tactics part to go search for the solution online.

They're nice challenges that everyone has a chance to beat, along with the added bonus of being really useful for new players for tips and resources. It's something for everyone and the challenges, especially the Grandmaster ones, are purely, well, tactical. It's like discount FE.

I kind of wish there was more to it than little challenges, though. They were nice while they lasted, but there aren't a ton of them. Since they're apparently getting released at the same pace as the Blessed Garden maps, then it's already hit a crawl. I'd love to see a sort of free play mode where you use your own units to complete the same kind of challenge. I don't know how exactly they would implement that stat wise; it's just a thought.