Thoughts on Tactics Drills (May Contain Solution Spoilers)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

If I'm lucky, nobody will find out that I can't figure out two of the maps prior to Grandmaster...

A couple of the skill ones are surprisingly annoying (Mia and the armor march map come to mind). Mia in particular took me several tries to figure out.

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

Maybe, if people keep posting the solutions here.

Speaking of solutions, it’s infuriating how the solution for Grandmaster 3, the one with Takumi, Nowi and Cherche, was actually really simple. When I figured it out, it made me feel real dumb.

yeah, 3 was pretty aggravating, but 5 was just stupid, it took me a good 3 hours to figure it out, it did make me a bit better at AI manipulation though.

52 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

If I'm lucky, nobody will find out that I can't figure out two of the maps prior to Grandmaster...

At least I'm safe inside my mind

Did a few more of the grandmasters, and, so far, my impression is the same as the first one:

They're all really 'fair' and 'nice' about it. Most of the time, if you're on the right track, you'll feel it, because every turn gets easier and easier.

Beat the healer one finally, though it occurred to me that I don't think I remember how it happened, since it felt barely any different from my countless other tries

edit: got through the Alm one surprisingly quickly, I think it's generally easier to beat these when there are fewer places to move your units

Edited by Johann

The Alm and Zelgius ones were quite easy compared to the hell that is the Azama and the Nowi ones... I haven't cleared those 2 yet but I'll keep trying until my phone dies!

I hated 5. The tip is useless and apparently I was doing everything correctly, but just forgot about miracle.

Zelgius one is also pretty dumb, requiring you to tank a brave axe with Subaki. Who in their right mind would ever think to do that?

I've been doing Grandmaster on my own but massively stuck on the healer one. I don't want to use guides, but can anyone clarify:

Is there multiple ways to complete this or just a singular way?

I was able to kill all of them except the red sword guy who I got to 1HP, but time ran out. I'm curious if I'm on the right track or I need to revamp my whole strategy.

@DehNutCase @Korath88 Please do not reveal any aspects of winning methods for these challenges without properly using spoiler tags.

16 minutes ago, SlipperySlippy said:

Is there multiple ways to complete this or just a singular way?

I tried it countless ways before I managed to beat it, and I suspect that there's only one real solution (at least in terms of building up to the final round). There are a few different final placements in the Alm one though, I think, but the difference (including the lead-up) would be minimal.

I haven't had much time to try out these maps...just some of the basic ones. So far, I like that they teach some nice skills. It will be a good resource for newer players, and it's also a good chance to try out some characters you might not have obtained.

I will say that the turn limit bothers me a little bit. It's a little frustrating seeing multiple solutions, but you're forced to use a specific one. I understand why it's there. That's the whole point of the mode, but I'm the type of person who prefers to bend the rules to finish things. And that's why all my teachers hated me.  At the very least, I can appreciate the challenge even if I'm not a fan of the process. 

I also kind of wish there were more orb rewards or at least a little more variety with some coins and rocks thrown in there. Feathers are nice, but they're pretty easy to come by. But the maps ARE free, so I can understand why they wouldn't put too many amazing resources in there. But I might be willing to throw some stamina at these things for slightly better rewards. Maybe I'm in the minority there.

Undoubtedly, I'll get frustrated with the harder maps, but it should be a good time-waster on slow days. 

While spending a dozen or so attempts on just GM two, I kind of had the dawning realisation that while the mode isn't unfun as such, I could be spending the same time to get AA done for the week. Now don't get me wrong, these drills are way more interesting and engaging than AA, but the difference is that AA *has* to be done, and this doesn't. When it comes down to it, I'd rather just do the bare minimum and spend my free time doing something else altogether.

1 hour ago, Korath88 said:

I hated 5. The tip is useless and apparently I was doing everything correctly, but just forgot about miracle.

Zelgius one is also pretty dumb, requiring you to tank a brave axe with Subaki. Who in their right mind would ever think to do that?

at one point I gave up on tanking the axe and decide to tank the archer instead, and yes, I agree that one was crap.

I am changing the title of this thread now.

• thecrimsonflash changed the title to Thoughts on Tactics Drills (May Contain Solution Spoilers)

@DehNutCase Kind of nice to know that there isn't exactly one way to solve things.

I have kind of mixed feelings, aside from making me realize I'm terrible at FE. One one hand, I appreciate the challenge, but on the other hand, I'm not hugely fond of how there's basically one solution to everything. As some other people have said, one big thing I love about FE is getting to approach things my way. I'd much rather have things like the Takumi GHB where I can tinker with my units, skill setups, and placements until I got it.

Ugh...I feel ashamed of myself. I managed to beat the Nowi and the final maps by myself and got all cocky thinking I could beat the healer one as well...3 hours later and I had to resort to a guide because that map is BS, the positioning is so fricken weird that I would never get it even if I tried for a month. Fine...I'll take the L, the game wins 1 round.

Finished them all now. Judging by the hint in one of them, it seems that it's possible to beat some of them in alternate ways.

@thecrimsonflash@eclipseI'm gonna make a separate thread for post-completion discussion, because I think this thread should be a place where people shouldn't have solutions spoiled and merely focus on their feelings about the event itself and I guess frustration with any of the maps.

I have Grandmaster 5 down to everything except the sword armor is dead, but Chrom dies to Vengeance if he initiates.

I'll tackle the walls of Pain some other time.

Grandmaster 8 fell sometime early last night, but I was too lazy to mention it.

I'll probably put off the last 4 maps for a few days since I have other matters to attend to (like cleaning out my 1100/1100 barracks so I can start summoning again).

Made a separate thread for discussing solutions and other spoilery stuff, so this thread can remain free of that sort of thing.