Does your mood and surroundings affect which game you want to play?

Flee Fleet!

This may be a bit of a strange topic, and maybe its just me, but uh....

Does your current mood or the way your surroundings look affect your desire of which game you want to play?

For example, I don't know why but I always feel like playing New Mystery or Sacred Stones during the morning, with lights off and curtains opened.

Meanwhile I like to play Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep during the afternoon and nighttime.

When I'm not feeling particularly happy, I like to play some kind of platformer game.

What about you guys? 

I tend to play a lot of new games and stick with them until at least the credits roll, so quite often my scheudle is dictated by release dates.

Backlog though? Totally mood and surrounding dependant. Challenging shooting games are great stress relievers with Nex Machina being my to-go score attack title. On foggy or rainy days there's nothing better than some Ace Attorney or a good, grindy DRPG in the vein of MegaTen. 

Fire Emblem games or really any turn-based strategy, puzzle games, brain teasers I find fantastic in the morning. Makes you think, wakes you up, provides good stimulation to have a efficient working day. 

There is also the case of the 'dead hours' between 2:00 - 4:00. Can't help it, I love gaming in the middle of the night and then it best be something huge with gripping cutscenes and a bombastic soundtrack. Stuff like Yakuza, Xenoblade or Nier: Automata fit the bill here pretty well. Western AAA games work good as well then but apart from Skyrim I find the OST often lacking or too minimalistic for my tastes. 

Surroundings, not really (at least I have never thought about it). Mood, most definitely yes.
Whenever I'm angry or otherwise disgruntled, I like to play games like Super Smash Bros or Fire Emblem Warriors (or Hyrule Warriors, whichever is in grabbing range at the moment).
When I am sad or feel down (which is a lot lately), I tend to remember my favourite games and play those to improve my condition at least a little. Stella Glow, 7th Dragon III, and Nights of Azure 2 come to mind if we're talking specific games.

Very much so. If I've been on the Internet too much in a day, it makes it harder for me to play certain games, namely JRPGs with actual plots.

In fact, that genre I'm so finicky with my mood and atmosphere for, that I progress through them so slowly much for that reason. EO I can play anytime, but something where story matters I need to clear my head and get immersed for a nice long while. I certainly can't play them portable in noisy public.

8 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

For example, I don't know why but I always feel like playing New Mystery or Sacred Stones during the morning, with lights off and curtains opened.

Strange, but this is exactly me.

-----

It does depend on the mood and surroundings for me, if the second one is not right, I'm uncomfortable. My current surroundings make it uncomfortable for me to play Fates and SoV, for example, but okay to play Pokemon or Shin Megami Tensei. Like, I've been wanting to play SoV but I can't feel it here. Also, Ace Attorney is better at night for me, I can concentrate better.

As for the mood. When I'm stressed or tired, I have to play something simple and lighthearted, like any Mario games or rythm games, or a fighting game like Street Fighter. When I'm sad, something inmersive, like Etrian Odyssey or an rpg with puzzles, like Zelda. When I'm good, I play anything and everything that hypes me at the moment.

Tons of things do this for me:

Seasons are a big one. I have a lot of memories of playing long JRPGs in the summer as a kid, so for games like Dragon Quest 3/7/8, Final Fantasy 4/7/8/9/Tactics, Chrono Trigger/Cross, every time summer rolls around, I get a hankering to play one of those. I also have strong association with summer with Zelda OoT/MM/ALttP, as with OoT/MM, I remember going to my best friend's house and spending hours trying to figure out what to do. ALttP I just happened to play in the summer. Also, Psychonauts, because it's a game about summer camp. Fire Emblem 4/5/6 are three more I associate with summer, since that was when I hacked my PSP and spent an entire summer in high school playing a shit ton of games on that.

Summer's probably the season I associate with most with video games, since it was just a time of year growing up where all I had to do was play video games, go run around the neighborhood with friends until we wanted to play more video games, or until it got dark and all we could do was stay inside and play video games late into the night. I could go on and on. Vagrant Story, Legend of Dragoon, Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, DK64, Tony Hawk, Ratchet and Clank... All of these give me strong summer-y feelings, and I go back to them often in the summer.

In the fall I have tons of memories playing Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Mass Effect, XCom, Fire Emblem, Fallout 2/NV... Winter I have generally more JRPGs again, since cozying up in bed and playing video games for hours is great for the winter. Don't really have anything for spring.

Food and movies have strong connections for me, too. For whatever reason, if I'm playing Path of Radiance, I feel the need to watch Harold and Kumar. If I'm watching Harold and Kumar, I feel the need to play PoR. And coincidentally, I also want to eat White Castle.

Well, if it fits within the scope, I prefer playing handhelds off home, the convenience makes me want to play handheld games since at home I am distracted by many other things. The same also happens to books.

Mood has an impact too, but I don't think it does as the OP meant by "mood affecting which games you want to play": I stay away from games that requer more elaborate thinking and patience when I'm tired or agitated, and the inverse is also sometimes true.

Well, Im definitively human, so yes indeed. We all know that Horror games are best played in your bath, for example.

Lots of things affects how we recieve games, whether we notice it or not. Fatigue also plays a big role (you can't concentrate, and are easily angered.).

And I'm also affected by game receptions. I may be harsher about so called "classics", but mainly I'm more ready to excuse games that are not very well known (Like, Hourai High School is really objectively bad, but i have a soft spot about it.

Live a Live is great, but if it didnd't accopanied me through my depression, would it be as important for me ? I can't say for sure. Dragon Quest VII is important, but I played it after FFX (which made me thought I wouldn't be able to enjoy playing games anymore ; that maybe I was too old for that. (reason why I still resent that game so much btw.). SO it became really important for me. ANd games played with others gains a new value. I watched my brother played FFVII when I was little,I played Portal 2 with him later on. And recetly I replayed through Pokémon Y with my nephew (his really first Pokémon games.), so it allowed me to enjoy the game more.

• 2 weeks later...

My surrounding doesn't really matter either. The only thing would be if i am busy out and about, which means that I'll have to stick to a PS Vita game.

If I need to relax, I play Animal Crossing or Kirby. I tend to play Harvest Moon/ Story of Seasons games more in spring or autumn. 

Very much so: If I need to blow off energy, I'll play an RPG or Platformer; if I need to chill out after a long day, I'll play a racing game, a life sim, or action RPG

As for surrounding, being near cars makes want to play a racing game (Like Gran Turismo)

Edited by Melissa

If I'm exhausted, I have a hard time playing games like FE that require a lot of thought.

Sadly, I don't have much time for gaming in General.  I used to play WoW regularly, but between kids and my computer not being able to handle it anymore, I don't really play much anymore.