Tactics Drills Solution/Victory Thread

Johann

Odd question...but without spoilers, what kind of general tips do you guys have for clearing the GM maps? I managed to do the first few by myself, but I've had to cheat on the two I've cleared most recently to finish them off. (I checked to see if my opening moves were correct on the healer map...they weren't. And I checked to see if my ending moves were close to being correct on Gunnthra's map...) I guess I didn't have to cheat, but I definitely put several hours over the course of a few days into those maps, and I got impatient. Haha. I would like to try and finish the rest of the maps by myself.

Someone said that the maps "feel" right when you're doing them right...but I don't think I've ever felt that way until I'm on the final turn and everything has fallen into place. And sometimes things feel right, but they don't work with the time limit. 

I know to listen to the hints. Sometimes they're really helpful. Sometimes they're super vague. I also know that if a character has been given a skill, you'll have to use it. 

But are there any smart ways to approach a map other than spending hours trying out every possible combination? Or any ways to check yourself?

3 hours ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Odd question...but without spoilers, what kind of general tips do you guys have for clearing the GM maps? I managed to do the first few by myself, but I've had to cheat on the two I've cleared most recently to finish them off. (I checked to see if my opening moves were correct on the healer map...they weren't. And I checked to see if my ending moves were close to being correct on Gunnthra's map...) I guess I didn't have to cheat, but I definitely put several hours over the course of a few days into those maps, and I got impatient. Haha. I would like to try and finish the rest of the maps by myself.

Someone said that the maps "feel" right when you're doing them right...but I don't think I've ever felt that way until I'm on the final turn and everything has fallen into place. And sometimes things feel right, but they don't work with the time limit. 

I know to listen to the hints. Sometimes they're really helpful. Sometimes they're super vague. I also know that if a character has been given a skill, you'll have to use it. 

But are there any smart ways to approach a map other than spending hours trying out every possible combination? Or any ways to check yourself?

Here's a few tips:

• Whatever is in the little description is a huge help, especially for the very first or very last move.
  • Look at the skills your characters have. Every single character and skill they give you is deliberate, often to the point of just barely being enough to win. The tips will often refer to at least some of these skills or characters.
  • Also look at your enemies. Most of them have builds that say "you're not supposed to use [x] against me" like when they have Vantage or Triangle Adept.
  • They love putting an armor or infantry in a spot that's hard to reach, indicating that you're supposed to be advancing towards them, or else you won't reach them in the final round
  • I think the first turn usually feels right when you get it (or close to it). Cutting away the "this obviously can't work because it gets me killed" paths should help make that first step clearer.
  • Meanwhile, the middle is the hardest part since there are so many options, which may or may not send you down the right path. Often you land on the answer being like "oh, apparently that worked", without really noticing the difference that made it work this time.
  • In the hardest maps, the challenge is usually stemming from the AI's positioning. This is especially so if it's a more open map with a greater number of positions that you or they can use. The Zelgius map (which has a large number of solutions apparently) is a prime example of this.
  • It's common for every character on your side to end up with like single digit HP, often from taking hits from things that in normal play would be extremely poor strategy.

On 7/27/2018 at 12:33 PM, Johann said:

Here's a few tips:

• Whatever is in the little description is a huge help, especially for the very first or very last move.
  • Look at the skills your characters have. Every single character and skill they give you is deliberate, often to the point of just barely being enough to win. The tips will often refer to at least some of these skills or characters.
  • Also look at your enemies. Most of them have builds that say "you're not supposed to use [x] against me" like when they have Vantage or Triangle Adept.
  • They love putting an armor or infantry in a spot that's hard to reach, indicating that you're supposed to be advancing towards them, or else you won't reach them in the final round
  • I think the first turn usually feels right when you get it (or close to it). Cutting away the "this obviously can't work because it gets me killed" paths should help make that first step clearer.
  • Meanwhile, the middle is the hardest part since there are so many options, which may or may not send you down the right path. Often you land on the answer being like "oh, apparently that worked", without really noticing the difference that made it work this time.
  • In the hardest maps, the challenge is usually stemming from the AI's positioning. This is especially so if it's a more open map with a greater number of positions that you or they can use. The Zelgius map (which has a large number of solutions apparently) is a prime example of this.
  • It's common for every character on your side to end up with like single digit HP, often from taking hits from things that in normal play would be extremely poor strategy.

Thanks for these! Thinking about the enemies with the mindset of, "he needs to be killed [x] way" really helps with some of these maps actually. I managed to beat two more maps on my own...so I just have two more left which is a little less daunting. The rest of the challenge is figuring out when/how your allies' skills need to be used or when specials need to be charged up.

1 hour ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Thanks for these! Thinking about the enemies with the mindset of, "he needs to be killed [x] way" really helps with some of these maps actually. I managed to beat two more maps on my own...so I just have two more left which is a little less daunting. The rest of the challenge is figuring out when/how your allies' skills need to be used or when specials need to be charged up.

Yeah, the specials can be tricky. Sometimes you're supposed to not attack someone so that you don't charge it up too soon.

New maps are interesting. Lucina one was fun and took me a few tries. Greil Mercs one was tougher, but I was surprised that it doesn't seem to involve Reciprocal Aid at all. Is there another solution that uses it?

On 8/2/2018 at 9:30 AM, Othin said:

Reveal hidden contents

New maps are interesting. Lucina one was fun and took me a few tries. Greil Mercs one was tougher, but I was surprised that it doesn't seem to involve Reciprocal Aid at all. Is there another solution that uses it?

In the solution I got,

Spoiler

Titania needed to heal Ike after he got brutalized killing the sword infantry and tanking the lance infantry in order to give him enough HP to tank the lance armour after Aethering the manakete.

Full steps are:

Turn 1: Mist breaks wall. Soren pokes sword infantry. Ike kills sword infantry. Titania moves up to safety. On EP, Ike gets nearly killed by the lance infantry and the green tome duels Soren.

Turn 2: Ike gets out of the way to the left. Titania attacks the lance infantry. Soren kills the green tome. Mist heals Soren. On EP, the manakete nearly kills Soren and the lance infantry commits suicide on Titania.

Turn 3: Mist gets out of the way. Soren pokes the manakete. Titania Reciprocal Aids Ike before Ike Aethers the manakete to death. On EP, the lance armour stabs Ike, but does surprisingly low damage. Chill Atk too strong, I guess.

Turn 4: Ike gets out of the way. Mist heals Titania. Titania maims the lance armour, then Soren finishes it off.

Now I'm curious to hear what sequence you took that bypassed using Reciprocal Aid.

6 hours ago, Javi Blizz said:

I can’t find a solution to the Lucina’s one, could someone help me?

Tiered hints:

Spoiler

Lucina needs to use Future Vision on every turn.

Spoiler

Lucina needs to initiate an attack on every turn.

Spoiler

Sumia can tank the axe fighter just fine.

Ok the new map’s description is outright useless.

In the Greil Mercenaries map I did not need to use Reciprocal Aid at all.

I spent days on that map, and when I gave up and looked up a guide I was furious.

3 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Ok the new map’s description is outright useless.

Reveal hidden contents

In the Greil Mercenaries map I did not need to use Reciprocal Aid at all.

I spent days on that map, and when I gave up and looked up a guide I was furious.

Really? Could you point me to the specific guide you found because the hint worked out just fine for my strategy.

3 minutes ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

Really? Could you point me to the specific guide you found because the hint worked out just fine for my strategy.

Look at Pheonixmaster’s video. Before I watched the video, I did the exact same that video until phase 5. I had to look up the guide to see what I see what I was doing wrong from phase 5 onwards and it was the fact that I kept using Reciprocal Aid.

49 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Tiered hints:

Hide contents

Lucina needs to use Future Vision on every turn.

Hide contents

Lucina needs to initiate an attack on every turn.

Hide contents

Sumia can tank the axe fighter just fine.

Thanks, I just founded my mistake:

Spoiler

For some reason, I forgot that I could also move Sumia 1 space instead of the maximum of 2 so Lucina could reach the Armor using Future Vision

5 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Reveal hidden contents

Look at Pheonixmaster’s video. Before I watched the video, I did the exact same that video until phase 5. I had to look up the guide to see what I see what I was doing wrong from phase 5 onwards and it was the fact that I kept using Reciprocal Aid.

Hah, just had a look and I find it rather humourous, since

Spoiler

our solutions are almost the exact same, but I guess I do one extra step with slightly different positioning. I have Titania use Reciprocal Aid on Ike so he doesn't die to the lance armour, then have Mist heal Titania afterward so that she doesn't die to the lance armour's counterattack (since she'd have 1 HP otherwise and take 5 damage). It flowed so naturally that I didn't consider that finagling with the positioning could let Mist just heal Ike and pass over Titania helping him entirely.

On 8/4/2018 at 8:59 PM, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

In the solution I got,

Hide contents

Titania needed to heal Ike after he got brutalized killing the sword infantry and tanking the lance infantry in order to give him enough HP to tank the lance armour after Aethering the manakete.

Full steps are:

Turn 1: Mist breaks wall. Soren pokes sword infantry. Ike kills sword infantry. Titania moves up to safety. On EP, Ike gets nearly killed by the lance infantry and the green tome duels Soren.

Turn 2: Ike gets out of the way to the left. Titania attacks the lance infantry. Soren kills the green tome. Mist heals Soren. On EP, the manakete nearly kills Soren and the lance infantry commits suicide on Titania.

Turn 3: Mist gets out of the way. Soren pokes the manakete. Titania Reciprocal Aids Ike before Ike Aethers the manakete to death. On EP, the lance armour stabs Ike, but does surprisingly low damage. Chill Atk too strong, I guess.

Turn 4: Ike gets out of the way. Mist heals Titania. Titania maims the lance armour, then Soren finishes it off.

Now I'm curious to hear what sequence you took that bypassed using Reciprocal Aid.

Interesting. I always moved Ike before Mist on Turn 4, so there wasn't a spot for her to heal Titania, but moving Mist before Ike lets that work.

I had the same first two turns.

Turn 3: Titania moves above Mist. Mist moves to the right and heals Ike. Soren pokes the Manakete. Ike kills the Manakete.

Turn 4: Ike backs off. Titania hits the armor. Soren finishes it.

Edit: Oh, it looks like that's already been covered, lol.

Edited by Othin

It's kinda cool that there are two solutions for the latest map. Based on the hint that they gave, maybe they knew you could do it with or without Titania's Reciprical Aid?

• 3 weeks later...

First time clearing any of the Infernal Grandmaster maps on my own, but boy did it take a while.

So here's how I cleared Grandmaster 12.

Spoiler

Player Phase 1

• Genny attacks the Green Mage Cav, triggering Gravity on him and the Sword Cav.
  • Ishtar attacks the Lance Cav, killing him in two hits.
  • Hana moves to one space above Ishtar, triggering Obstruct on the only way forward for the Sword Armor.
  • Effie moves one space to the right.

Enemy Phase 1

• Axe Cav moves to attack Ishtar from her right side, leaving her with 3 HP.
  • Sword Armor moves to attack Hana, leaving her with 2 HP, but also being severely injured themselves.
  • Green Mage Cav attacks Genny, essentially repeating the combat from PP1/
  • Sword Cav moves one space up.
  • Blue Manakete moves to the right of the Sword Armor.

Player Phase 2

• Effie attacks the Sword Armor, killing him in one hit.
  • Ishtar moves one space down (directly below the fortress tile) and attacks/kills the Axe Cav.
  • Genny moves onto the dock-like platform and heals Ishtar, notably out of range of the Green Mage Cav.
  • Hana moves to the space bottom left of Effie, out of range of all opponents.

Enemy Phase 2

• Sword Cav attacks Ishtar, leaving her with 6 HP.
  • Blue Manakete attacks Effie, leaving Effie with 26 HP (just barely above Half her total HP) and being left with 21 HP in return (below half for her)
  • Green Mage Cav attacks Ishtar, but she triggers both Vantage and Moonbow, killing him in one hit.

Player Phase 3

• Genny moves directly two spaces below Ishtar and heals her.
  • Had Ishtar tried to attack the Sword Cav before the heal, she would be killed. With the recovered HP, she manages to almost kill the Sword Cav, but triggers Miracle, rendering the potential kill impossible and being left with 9 HP herself.
  • Hana moves directly to the left of the Sword Cav and finishes the job.
  • Effie uses Smite on Hana, sending her to where Genny was after PP2.

Enemy Phase 3

• Blue Manakete attacks Effie, repeating the combat from EP2, but leaving Effie with 2 HP and the Manakete dead.
  • Map won!

Edited by Xenomata

4 hours ago, Javi Blizz said:

Could anyone give me a solution for GM11? I can’t solve it :(

Turn 1: Lucina moves below Dierdre. Dierdre kills the lance fighter. Elincia moves to the defense tile. Micaiah does nothing.

Turn 2: Micaiah heals Elincia. Elincia moves next to Lucina and kills the lance flier. Lucina and Dierdre do nothing.

Turn 3: Micaiah kills the lance dragon. Dierdre moves to the defense tile. Elincia moves up and to the left and heals Dierdre. Lucina moves one space down.

Turn 4: Lucina, Dierdre, and Micaiah attack the axe cav, in that order. (The first two stay on the defense tiles they were on.) Elincia kills the bow cav.

14 hours ago, Othin said:

Hide contents

Turn 1: Lucina moves below Dierdre. Dierdre kills the lance fighter. Elincia moves to the defense tile. Micaiah does nothing.

Turn 2: Micaiah heals Elincia. Elincia moves next to Lucina and kills the lance flier. Lucina and Dierdre do nothing.

Turn 3: Micaiah kills the lance dragon. Dierdre moves to the defense tile. Elincia moves up and to the left and heals Dierdre. Lucina moves one space down.

Turn 4: Lucina, Dierdre, and Micaiah attack the axe cav, in that order. (The first two stay on the defense tiles they were on.) Elincia kills the bow cav.

Thanks ?