Who has the "best art"?

indigoasis

I'm curious to see what people say to this. I suppose this is more of a "What's your personal preference?" thread than an objective thread, but feel free to answer however you like. Also, explain why your chosen character has the best art, but don't yell at each other over who has better art.

With that said, if I may throw my hat into the ring (that's how the saying goes, right?), I think Sigurd has some really good art. It's remains pretty faithful to how he was depicted in his original FE4 artwork, aside from a different pose, but his clothes look the same. His attacking art looks awesome, too, and his color scheme is just generally nice to look at. I'm no art critic, but I'd rate it pretty high.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love BB!Cordelia's wink, so I guess her art is one of my favorites.

I like most of the art in Heroes, so it is kind of hard to say who has the best artwork.

While I would not say the artwork of Arthur, Jagen, and Gunter are my favorites, I do appreciate the fact that their style is very different.

On the other hand, there are several artwork that I absolutely do not like: Eliwood, Cordelia, and Rebecca.

Eirikalter and OG!Eirika tie first place because of my bias and their art is really, really nice. I really like all the units drawn by Asatani Tomoyo.

I'd put Summer Cordelia on second place, her art is just stunning and was the reason I pulled for her. Despite Bride Cordelia having the same artist I feel they did a better job with the summer version so yeah.

Honorable mentions to B!Roy, BK!Chrom, Tana and H!Sakura.

Navarre, for sure. He's been my favorite since the game first launched.

Honorable mention to FGrima, Soleil and HNowi, the latter one mostly because I really like the colors they used, which goes for Soleil as well.

Nephenee's art is among the best in the game, in my opinion. All of HACCAN's work is gorgeous, but Nephenee really sticks out to me. The colors in particular are pleasing to the eye. Totally not my bias for the character, either. Definitely not.

Wada's Legendary Hector, LA!Lyn, and B!Roy are also amazing. I enjoy Wada's art in general, but those characters look incredible. I'm especially fond of Legendary Hector's special and injured art; they both seem to perfectly encapsulate the character. 

@Deceptimike

Are you a mind reader or something? I was literally just about to say that Nephenee is my favorite of the "regular" units and HACCAN in general out of the "regular" artists. I love the muted colors. It's very easy on the eyes while still providing enough detail and personality.

Of the seasonals/Legendaries, Wada Sachiko is probably my favorite. Blah blah tons of Lyn alts, but damn if the last two don't look stunning. My personal favorite is L!Ephraim's damaged portrait. That "come at me" look fits so perfectly.

Edited by Kurrin

I love Tobi's art! Both Morgans have amazing art, and those two are definitely my favorite artworks. My other favorites would be the spring versions of Alfonse and Sharena, Inigo, PA!Shigure, and Tana.

But my favorite is definitely PA!Olivia. There's something really magical about her art, and I love it.

Thanks for making me go through the entire goddamn list of Heroes.

In terms of pure aesthetics, my favorites in no particular order are Alm, Myrrh, and Summer Corrin. Not only are their artworks gorgeous to look at, but their Special skill arts are just stunning.

Honorable mention, particularly for Special skill art, goes to everything by Kita Senri except Legendary Ike (Cecilia, Karel, Karla, Brave Ike, both Ryoma) and everything by Takagi Masafumi (Clair, Peri) where, while they don't have a distinct new art for the Special skill activation, the artists least bothered to completely redo the coloring on a large portion of the art to reflect the new position of the dominant light source rather than simply adding a layer with additional highlights. (Legendary Ike doesn't have a glowing weapon in his Special art.)

As for art styles, my favorites go to Soeda Ippei, Tobi, Amagaitaro, and Yoshiku.

Soeda's more realistic style is an absolute perfect fit for the rugged Dorcas and Arden and really breathes a lot of life into them.

Tobi's (Clive, Klein, Canas, both Morgan, both seasonal Takumi, Summer Leo) and Amagaitaro's (both Catria, Genny, Clarine, both Nino, Amelia, Myrrh) styles fall mostly under the same bucket for me, having clean lines, clean shading, and pretty faces.

Yoshiku's (Bride Caeda, Lene) characters look so squishy. It's so wonderful.

Honorable mentions go to Kaya8 (Maria, Katarina, Tobin, Fir, Priscilla, all Azura), who falls in Tobi and Amagaitaro's bucket, but has slightly less pretty faces, HACCAN (Hawkeye, Nephenee, Hinoka, Effie), and Fuzichoco (both Sakura, Hana).

Kazuma Kaneko is my favourite artist ever, luckily he has never done any art for this gambling game. My favourite in said gambling game is most likely Alm or like anything by Sachiko Wada

20 minutes ago, Kazuya said:

Kazuma Kaneko is my favourite artist ever, luckily he has never done any art for this gambling game. My favourite in said gambling game is most likely Alm or like anything by Sachiko Wada

Gosh you're a bit of a downer. 

Kaneko wouldn't exactly be the best for a game like this. His faces tend to be on the creepy side, appropriate for SMT, but not for a lighter, more friendly atmosphere like FEH. Although the Kaneko-inspired Sage!Tharja from TMS I do sort of like (but not Sniper!Virion). And the Digital Devil Saga cast was able to be warm and filled with camaraderie despite Kaneko's designs- l like Cielo in particular. Of course, the Avatars/Atma there were plenty creepy, although I don't like how Indra violates the rule Kaneko said he laid out on not giving the Avatars eyes to emphasize their mouths hungry for the flesh of fellow humans.

I do wish the artist for Etrian Odyssey, Yuji Himukai I believe, did more artwork for FEH, enough to compile a team of them. Maybe he could come back for Lugh so he matches his twin brother? If Lugh went Blue, then on a team with Raigh and Fae all bases would be covered.

Ah man, there's so much good art in Heroes! Lyn is a character who has yet to have any bad art, all of her versions so far have some of the best art in the game. Bride, Valentine, and Legendary Lyn in particular are her three best so far. I'd also say Brave Roy, Canas, and Legendary Hector have some really awesome art, and so do Alm, Sigurd, Ayra, Karel, and Karla, and so many others. But if I had to pick a single favorite, I think I'd have to go with Legendary Lyn.

Hmm, how do I break this down? I guess I'll just go down the artist list on the wiki first and comment where it's warranted, then try to pick out individual characters after. Probably also worth noting that I'm really only familiar with the neutral art, plus the little action/injured portraits - for most characters I won't have seen the full action/injured shots much, if at all.

Asatani Tomoyo (Eirikas, Ephraims, Berkut, Ayra, naked Innes) - Just a collection of good-looking people. I won't bother splitting the others, but Horse Eirika is a bit weaker than the rest

Fujikawa Akira (Celicas, Marisa) - Glamourous. Other artists do "pretty", but here it seems they're posing for a the cover of anime Vogue magazine or something.

HAKO (Caeda, Elise, Shanna, Felicia) - Again just some pretty faces in a style I prefer - that being somewhat more angular with hard edges, at least compared to the softer styles like Mayo and Haccan (which while technically good aren't to my tastes). Seeing Shanna and Elise side-by-side with identical faces and expressions is a little weird though.

Kozaki Yusuke (FEH OCs) - As an Awakening baby, I am of course most used to this artstyle. The FEH OCs are a bit softer than I'd like though - it' more of a design than an art quibble, but I think he's better with older characters.

Maiponpon (M Corrins, Lucina) - Manages to make male Corrin look good, something that Kozaki never managed. Does a good job filling in for Lucina, though perhaps a bit more feminine than I'd like.

Miyajima Haru (Leon, Lyon, Soren) - I'm not really a fan of pretty boys, but if I did, the execution here is the right one.

Sencha (S Corrin, B Tharja) - Ironed out the kinks after Summer Corrin to produce Bride Tharja.

Soeda Ippei (Dorcas, Arden) - Great faces, but I feel the bodies are a bit comically oversized to be called realistic. Would love to see them draw some female characters for the game for the contrast.

Umiu Geso (W Lissa) - First time I can legitimately say Lissa looks gorgeous.

Wada Sachiko - Ironically better at drawing the non-GBA characters, apart from Hector. Basically good when not drawing oversized eyes, I'm not a fan of her Lyns or Roy. Barst, Cherche, Titania and Virion are my picks here.

Yamada Akihiro - Gunter and especially Zephiel look great, even if the other two don't quite come off. There are a couple of issues with some of the faces in the alternate art though.

Yamada Kotaro - Lyn is fine, but Narcian is breathtaking.

cuboon - Quite like their general aesthetic, the somewhat darker skintones especially. Not the most consistent though, there are some weaker pieces there, even amongst the newer ones.

I'll edit in something like a top-ten list of units later perhaps.

@Kurrin Haha, I could argue you're a mind reader as well! My post was originally longer and mentioned L!Ephraim, but I shortened it to avoid writing an essay.

L!Ephraim and L!Hector's injured portraits are perfection! They're both half-dead, but look like they're having the time of their lives. So true to their characters.

22 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Great faces, but I feel the bodies are a bit comically oversized to be called realistic.

Since you mentioned it, I had to check. Dorcas is pretty close to 7 heads in height in his idle art, and Arden 8 heads (granted it looks as though we're looking up at him from about knee-level). That makes Dorcas's body actually smaller than "ideal" and Arden about spot on. Dorcas's build looks pretty typical for the rugged and burly type. Arden we have no idea since he's got a thousand or so layers of armor on.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Since you mentioned it, I had to check. Dorcas is pretty close to 7 heads in height in his idle art, and Arden 8 heads (granted it looks as though we're looking up at him from about knee-level). That makes Dorcas's body actually smaller than "ideal" and Arden about spot on. Dorcas's build looks pretty typical for the rugged and burly type. Arden we have no idea since he's got a thousand or so layers of armor on.

Yeah, it was more about build than height, which appears to be fine. I just feel Dorcas' torso for example is a little too much. Even by modern roided-up bodybuilder standards, it's pretty extreme, let alone what's possible "naturally".

Oh yeah, Valentine's Lyn is way too good.

Like, I never really had a thing for Lyn until that happened. I mean, I still don't, but they made her go from "Your son calls me mommy too" to "marry me".

Pretty much anything by Senri Kita, since she's my favorite artist. Also have to mention Suekane Kumiko since she really did Frederick and Camus awesomely, and also did a really good job on LA Hector. Summer Freddy's abs are so freaking gorgeous I can't really put it into words. Kumiko really brought out how hot he is. <3

I love Wada Sachiko's art and Brave Roy looks so good! Nephenee's one is so awesome too!

I'm always disappointed to see Lloyd, Eliwood and Rebecca Heroes art, and specially Eliwood, like he's the protagonist of FE7 and gets less of everything

Edited by 1% Critical Hit
adding info that i forgot

I know it's about specific characters but my absolute favorite illustrators in FEH are (with links to their contributions):

1. Sencha: I find their designs to be so stunning and colorful. I really hope they do more work for FEH in the future.

2. Cuboon: Same thing, and this one draws Tana so beautifully!

3. Sata: I loved the way they drew Seliph (also Sigurd, and I agree with you). The lineart is well proportioned and simple, and the coloring technique is well polished and elegant, also the tones are pleasant to the eye.

Honorable mention to Himukai Yuji, whose style I adore, and I feel the same as @Interdimensional Observer, I too wish he would draw more characters for FEH, enough to make a team!

You forgot "bash Zaza" too. Truthfully though, I have no problem bashing the likes of Uwe Boll or Michael Bay, or David Cage or Peter Molyneux so eh.

Anyway, just a selection of the art I do like. This made more sense in my head.

7Rg6LlE.png

2jrDjDL.png

Edited by Humanoid