Support Mechanic (including growth information)

Tediz64

Without further ado, allow me to present to you my gift everyone. It is in the form 100+ hours of my labor. Okay so joking aside let’s get straight to it since you clicked on this for a reason.

After doing some searches and not really finding much concrete information I decided to take on the grand task of answering all the questions that we could have about this topic’s subject line. I will list the key information to answer the questions right away here in this thread and will also respond but you’ll find a greater amount of information in the following Microsoft word document I’m attaching. Keep in mind a few things here though.

1. I had every intention to share this information once I nailed it down so you’ll see my banter in the document.
  2. I tried pretty hard to make the document look organized since I knew people would be reading it. I created Introduction section followed by the actual questions I’d be putting to the test plus the research section and finally at the bottom the theories section and my monologue as I was testing.
  3. Keep in mind that prior to this I already had almost 198 hours on my save file. Meaning I had quite a few of the supports done. Since w/o DLC there are only 23 play-able characters (which I refer to as test subjects) my “resources” started to disappear once I began some testing. So in my document I very strongly emphasize who was clean and who was dirty (in the sense that maybe they had a few rogue points already saved off to the side before I even tested them)
  4. There are a few things I have left unanswered myself so I have to leave those parts up to the community to solve. But at least with my ground work done you can quickly read over what I already tested and theorized then go from there. If you’re wondering why I didn’t start a new file then I say to you…..NO! I’m already a little anxious to share all this with you but also I want to finish playing this game casually and enjoy the rest.

So this bit right here is to the mods who I was DM-ing before i posted this as well as to anyone to finds this information and wants to re-locate it in any way/form/fashion. 

Spoiler

I’ve been using SF for quite some times and I think I finally created an account here in the forums a few years ago. I really like this website a lot and nothing would make me happier than to see my name listed here. To see my stamp on my contribution to the games I love. So please give me credit for this. To anyone who came here via google search, If you intend to take this information and put in on your website I’d really appreciate it if you says the contribution was from Tediz64 @SerenesForest. I clocked in more than 100 hours so I feel this “attachment” to my research. But I won’t be anal about it since really I just want my name on Serenes. Thank you for pushing my mark all over the internet though =P

Now without further ado the key information. (btw I checked, I’m at 328 hours in my save file now. I really love SF to give it 120+ hours right?)

An officer is an individual i refer to that is not a common solider and can be killed with one hit (unless you're really powerful and over-leveled). These people are the ones with icons on the map, can drop weapons, and are actually represented by names. Examples include the Knight, Wyvern Rider, Manakete, Solider, Swordmaster, Fighter, Thief, Fort Captain, and additionally anyone that has a special name but is still the same thing (examples include messenger, awakening tonic supplier, ruffians that sabotage bases, etc)

1. You can earn 16 Support Points per battle based off of officer kills (in other words, each officer is worth 1 point)
  2. Once the sound effect changes, you gain NO MORE support points. It is equal to 0
  3. To go from no support rank to C is 21 support points (2 battles)
  4. To go from C rank to B is 33 support points (3 battles)
  5. To go from B rank to A is 59 support points (4 battles)
  6. Sub-missions are worth 2 points
  7. Sub-missions are in the same pool with officer kills and max at 16. In other words, if you score 16 officer kills and then complete a sub-mission, you gain no points for it
  8. Unleashing a Dual Special is equal to 1 support point (officer kill)
  9. Dual Specials are in the same pool with officer kills and max at 16. So 14 officer kills + 2 dual specials = 16 points, any further gains are worth 0
  10. Healing is equal to 1 support point
  11. Healing follows the same rules are dual specials

Now this little tid-bit is regarding bringing out multiple people and how many pairs can you do. (Regarding #3 i only go up to testing 3 pairs. Didn't make it any further)

1. One character can support as many people are you can deploy
  2. The points gained are neither diminished or reduce and follow the above rules
  3. Multiple people can hit the next support rank in 1 battle (Example: Chrom with Lucina, Chrom with Robin, Tiki with Marth, Caeda with Codelia)
  4. Witnessed thus far, up to 48 points (maybe more) can be earned in one battle. That is equivalent to 3 pairs of people

Alright, more comprehensive information can be found in my follow Microsoft Word attachment that has 21 pages (i kept up with all my experimenting and research). If you have any questions you are free to ask.

Also as stated in my paper, i started to run into some snags near the end so there will be undoubtedly some information i don't have. This includes me not having fully grasped and understood what the blessing in the Temple did, as well as getting access to the DLC support item (equipment)

Research.docx

So i didn't mention this in the original post but only in my paper but i think it is important and worth mentioning here so i'll add it.

Here is what i never got around to testing fully and understanding

1. Blessing (from the Temple)
  2. Bond Charm (the DLC item)
  3. Fast and Medium growth rates

In my paper i show based off of one experiment what happened when i activated the blessing. It dropped the 16 per battle count to 12 but instead of 59 total kills, it required less (i forgot the number but it only took 3 battles and not 4) By the way i activated that blessing 3 times in a row to see what it would have done. Now that i think about it, in retrospect i should have only activated it during 1 battle and see how it affected the over all 16/59 rules.

I purchased all the DLC so hopefully soon i'll have more info on that item posted.

And my last point, I can understand Corrin having a fast growth rate with her siblings, but i didn't see that anywhere else out of all the pairs i tested. Until just now. Oboro apparently has the "fast" growth rate with Takumi and Ryoma (still testing. She did the regular 59 total for rank B -> A with Marth when i got her Paragon). But she ranked up in 1 battle to C with Ryoma and Takumi, and 2 battles with to rank B with those two guys. So i can confirm a "fast" growth rate does exist. I just wasn't keeping track of my kill count.

The problem now is i don't know who it applies too. As i mentioned i already had like 30% of the supports done with my 198 hours in my save file and back then i wasn't paying attention to characters like Chrom x Lucina, or Marth x Caeda, who could have actually had the "fast" growth rate. Suffice to say, a fast growth rate exists, which greatly reduces the number of support points you need, but it is exclusive to certain pairs. When i'm doing Azura with some Fates characters, i'll count and hopefully bring some numbers to see how many points you need when you have a fast growth rate. My prediction is that she'll have that fast growth with Corrin for sure. I'm going to theorize that Owain will have it with Lissa, and Tharja will have it with Robin. 

This post is basically me saying, i left 3 last questions unanswered and am currently working on them.

I'll keep everyone posted but i do ask for help with the blessing because from my perspective, i have no idea what it did. I punched some of those numbers into a calculator and i see it reduced it by 59%? Not to mention it dropped the 16 rule down to 12. Also if someone can orchestrate a battle with 4 different pairs and see if all 4 people can get the full 16 points then we can answer the question of how many points are available in one battle. For that i recommend using the story mode maps after chapter 18. I have a few people who just hit rank B so i'm going to test it pretty soon as well.

I will say, this is a pretty interesting read.

Anyway, with regards to the fast support growth rate thing, I managed to get Chrom and Robin to max rank within three battles without even trying (I don't pair them up for the three fights, which are the three chapters on the route split). I dunno how or why...

Did you read the bottom of my paper after I typed "Warning"?

I discovered that they get points simply for participating in a battle together. My current working theory is 3 points. I tested it twice but want to run more. I do theorize as well that those 3 points are in the event that you don't pair up and get the 16 kills. Again I'm still testing but from what I've seen I ran a few battles unpaired and they hit the next support rank. 

I recently typed up more on my paper but I'll upload my new copy after I'm done researching. Which by the way I can only do Monday thru Thursday on my days off. 

For your case in particular, I'd go with the fact that somewhere in those chapters is a sub-mission awarding points plus the battle participation.

Did you go from no support rank all the way to A? 

5 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

Did you read the bottom of my paper after I typed "Warning"?

I discovered that they get points simply for participating in a battle together. My current working theory is 3 points. I tested it twice but want to run more. I do theorize as well that those 3 points are in the event that you don't pair up and get the 16 kills. Again I'm still testing but from what I've seen I ran a few battles unpaired and they hit the next support rank. 

I recently typed up more on my paper but I'll upload my new copy after I'm done researching. Which by the way I can only do Monday thru Thursday on my days off. 

For your case in particular, I'd go with the fact that somewhere in those chapters is a sub-mission awarding points plus the battle participation.

Did you go from no support rank all the way to A? 

Actually, I didn't at the time I posted.

Chapter 6 does have a sub mission which clearing boost support points with Robin, but chapter 7 and chapter 8 don't.

Well, it was chapter 6: no support > C, chapter 7 was C > B, and chapter 8 was  B > A.

So as you can read in my paper, i like to test things 3 or 5 times before i move forward and claim it as a theory instead of a hypothesis. I'm putting an update on the "fast" growth rate after running 3 different tests (mostly with Azure and Oboro).

I just bought the DLC not to long ago and i didn't deploy them in any battles so they SHOULD have a clean slate. Oboro and Azure did the 21/33/59 with Marth while getting Paragon. Also one of the twins (I'll explain more in a bit) but while getting Astra i saw the fast growth rate

No support --> C rank = 1 battle with 16 officer kills

C rank --> B rank = 2 battles with 17 officer kills (the sound effect changed right after the 1st kill on 2nd battle)

B rank --> A rank = 3 battles with 48 officer kills (one of them did 46  but i dunno if that was because i didn't keep proper count so that was tested basically 2 out of 3 times for 48)

Side Note: I'm still waiting for a message from @Shadow Mir so i can confirm some information but in the mean time i'll keep moving forward

Now in regards to the twins, Oboro had a fast growth with Rowan which i thought was weird but aside from that they still followed the old rules

Now to everyone reading this far into the post (and hopefully read some of my paper) keep in mind 2 things!

1. I don't know who gets to have the fast or medium growth rate since i didn't track that before clocking in 200 hours into this game
  2. I've only tested the "fast" growth rate 3 times and with one test i ran into a bump. 

Typically i like to test stuff more but seriously i'm getting kinda tired of running so many damn tests lol. I want to play causally now but i know i still have to at least give some backbone to the DLC bond item. I'll try to post more info on that later this week before my days of work kick up, but aside from that i'm kinda burnt out and will start playing causally soon. I hope the groundwork i laid out will sufficiently help anyone and everyone move forward with either further testing/confirming or simply enjoy the game and know what to expect when it comes to support grinding.

One thing i thought was super great was that you can get up to 48 support points (16 with each pair; being 3 pairs in all) so that means if you go to story mode map you can grind one person with 3 others making it easier to go for supports that way. (unless someone has tested we could get 64 points then that would mean 4 pairs)

On 7/15/2018 at 11:17 PM, Tediz64 said:

I have no idea how you managed to achieve that. I have quite a few questions if you don't mind switching to DM/PM. Message me first?

I would, but... I'm kinda not the right person to be asking about this. Might I recommend consulting @Tables instead?

@Shadow Mir but Tables doesn't have the info you do.

You said that you got Robin and Chrom up a support rank per 1 battle. Not tables. I wanted to switch to DM/PM so I could ask for the details and then start a new file to duplicate exactly what you did. Because if you stumbled on something I over looked then I want to put it to the test then share it with the community.

Don't worry the questions I'm going to ask are simple. It just requires you remembering, that's all. 

Why aren't you the right person to ask? Your the one who achieved something related to what I'm researching.