Why you should go F2P

Junkhead

Meh, I don't drink. I don't get why people waste money on a perishable thing that can lead to them being unsafe and even forgetting the 'fun' they had. I jokingly say I spend my 'drinks' money on this game. But I'm not going to tell people how to spend their money. If they want to spend it on booze, I'm not going to judge them. That's their prerogative.

Honestly, the whole post feels a bit holier than thou. If it wasn't for people spending money, this game would not exist. This is what really annoys me about these kinds of posts. Be f2p if you want, even post about how well you're doing while being f2p, but remember you're playing a game that still needs money to fund it.

I don't regret the money I've spent on this game and I don't judge people for how they want to have fun. The only time it would be bad is if you're doing it when you can't afford to do it. If you have the money going, do what you want for it. Anyone mentioning charities, etc, better never spend money on their entertainment, then, since all that can go to charities, too.

Eh, everything you listed sounds like a personal thing. I'm not a whale or anything trying to +10 a 5* I really want, but like I've probably spent around $140 from launch to today and I'd say I'm not any less happy about the game.

Whether I spend money or not, I'm going to be super excited about getting who I wanted. I've seen multiple people spend money, get who they wanted, and still scream about it.

How does spending money = less to do? Literally, whether you're F2P or not, the game is the same for everyone. I'm still having the same amount of fun.

I mean, I'm not going to hate myself for choosing what to do with my money. If anything, it's given me motivation to start doing art commissions. FEH is what's keeping my livelyhood as a twitter artist alive. Take my money FEH.

I still value every orb and feather lol. Besides, I'm not trying to be the best at FEH. I'll try to stay in T20 but I don't care if I'm not. I find that the biggest capture of FEH is getting you're favs and making them amazing units as well as getting to brag about it

Spending doesn't take anything away from the game at all. Honestly I'd say I'm a bit happier after spending a little to get what I wanted.

I think you're assuming to much of the mindset of someone who buys orbs. Let them play the game however they want because it's not like the hundreds of dollars they spend is going to affect how you enjoy the game.

11 hours ago, Humanoid said:

(...)That's two healers and a very mediocre infantry in two full months of summons essentially (and thus constitutes what my two month headstart over you gave me).(...)

Actually, I meant April 2018. ^^" So it's a 14 months headstart.

11 hours ago, Cute Chao said:

Anyone mentioning charities, etc, better never spend money on their entertainment, then, since all that can go to charities, too.

Yep. This is always the one thing that's always bothered me about the "could have been spent on charities" argument.

Movie tickets? Could have been spent on charities.

Vacation? Could have been spent on charities.

Overpriced Apple product? Smart phone? Could have been spent on charities.

Brand-name Oreos instead of the grocery chain knock-off-brand sandwich cookies? The difference could have been spent on charities.

The grocery chain knock-off-brand sandwich cookies? Also could have been spent on charities.

Basically, anything spent on luxury goods or services could have been spent on charities, and where you draw the line is purely subjective and arbitrary (as long as the line isn't at the actual boundary between luxuries and necessities).

I've heard the argument that some luxury goods are excusable for being tangible, such as the point of differentiating video games with loot boxes from collectable card games, but a trip to Hawaii (namely the cost of the plane tickets and hotel stay plus the experience of being in Hawaii), watching a movie at a movie theater, and going to a fancy restaurant (or really any restaurant) only let you take away memories (and a more expensive pile of poo in the toilet the following day) and are no pretty much no different in that regard than a roll on a gacha game.

17 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

@indigospace I really don't appreciate shaming people for what they spend on, it makes you look like a holier than thou jerk, I would say the same about movies or going out to eat, we waste money every day that could have gone somewhere far more productive.

Right, sorry about that. I didn't have the intent of shaming anyone, but I apologize if I came off that way.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Yep. This is always the one thing that's always bothered me about the "could have been spent on charities" argument.

Movie tickets? Could have been spent on charities.

Vacation? Could have been spent on charities.

Overpriced Apple product? Smart phone? Could have been spent on charities.

Brand-name Oreos instead of the grocery chain knock-off-brand sandwich cookies? The difference could have been spent on charities.

The grocery chain knock-off-brand sandwich cookies? Also could have been spent on charities.

Basically, anything spent on luxury goods or services could have been spent on charities, and where you draw the line is purely subjective and arbitrary (as long as the line isn't at the actual boundary between luxuries and necessities).

You forgot clothes, they too are a luxury. Why do we need protection from the elements? Live like the more austere Jain monks, with just a brush and a drinking gourd.

I don't have an independent income, nor would I spend one on gatcha ever. Even though me playing normal games so slowly would make an argument for advice that I reduce the growth of my backlog by investing the funds that'd go to expanding it by putting into gatcha.

*Insert philosophical babble others have said wherein I'm tolerant to Pay to Win gamers. Let us all FtP, PtW, and PtF alike try to be semiproductive, semihealthy citizens though.*

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Why do we need protection from the elements? Live like the more austere Jain monks, with just a brush and a drinking gourd.

Most of us don't live in India. It gets cold here.

Personally, I stay F2P for reasons pretty similar to those, but things have different value to different people. I won't claim that others should share my priorities.

I certainly don't think this post will convince anyone to stop spending money.

I'm FTP but appreciate the spenders since that is why the game exists and is continually updated and improved.  Wasn't it something like whales support 95% of gacha economy or something?  

I do feel bad for the many posts I read on reddit of people who overspent and now have to eat one meal a day for a month or something.  So if you do spend, be very aware of how much income you have.  Rolling on these games is addicting, it is so easy to just summon again and again, and if you've linked your credit card you may not realize how much money you are actually spending....until after.  

I will say whoever came up with the gacha model is a genius.  What did Heroes make last year, 300 million?  Jesus christ.  Then you have gacha games with really poor UI and art that is still pulling in tons of money, so minimal investment and making millions and millions.  Crazy.  

The ethical argument goes to what about children?  Here one must be 21 to gamble, and many states it is illegal. 

30 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Here one must be 21 to gamble, and many states it is illegal.

Loot boxes aren't (yet) considered gambling by most jurisdictions because what you get does not have material value. It's kind of like when you toss coins into a fountain, except on a much larger scale and with prettier results.

As mentioned by Extra Credits, if digital property of that sort is ever given material value, that opens up a massive can of worms, of which the most obvious immediate problem is probably "is shutting down the servers considered theft?"

It's not yet known if gambling and loot boxes trigger the same signals in a person's brain.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Loot boxes aren't (yet) considered gambling by most jurisdictions because what you get does not have material value. It's kind of like when you toss coins into a fountain, except on a much larger scale and with prettier results.

As mentioned by Extra Credits, if digital property of that sort is ever given material value, that opens up a massive can of worms, of which the most obvious immediate problem is probably "is shutting down the servers considered theft?"

It's not yet known if gambling and loot boxes trigger the same signals in a person's brain.

I don't know how much research has been done, but I think it is very similar to slot machines.  Instead of putting in money for a chance at a random cash reward or some other prize (car, vacation, etc), you put in money for a chance at a focus unit with other possible rewards.  It feels to have the same 'addictive' quality but seems much more dangerous cause instead of using chips you have, or money you have, you just click the summon button again or buy orbs charging it on your card. The age limit for gambling is likely so the person doing it is aware of the risks and how everything works and is mature enough.  

Tossing coins into a fountain, you don't get anything though.  You just make a wish or whatever.  Here you are shooting for a digital reward, so the urge is to keep summoning again and again until you get that desired reward.  

The reason I'm F2P is because otherwise it'd just be a slippery slope eventually leading to me spending hundreds of dollars. If I were rich, sure, I'd throw some money into the gacha, but right now I'm not too keen on paying for a chance to get something I want.

As for those who pay, you do you. You're paying for entertainment just like people pay for movies and video games, no shame in that. Plus it supports the developers and keeps the game ad-free. (If you've ever witnessed mobile game ads you'll know how nice that is)

43 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

I don't know how much research has been done, but I think it is very similar to slot machines.

Do you know of any actual research studies into the matter? (Because honestly, I would actually like to read them.)

Gut feel isn't exactly great for the biological sciences because biology is weird. (Why I was a math and physics major for undergraduate studies. Those fields make sense.) (That's also why I like reading psychology research studies. Brains make no sense and make for interesting reads.)

Edited by Ice Dragon

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Brains make no sense and make for interesting reads.

Oh, do you have anything interesting that you've read on psychology?

I haven't read too much on psychology---unless you count one of those AP study book things you buy to pass the AP psych test---and from what I've seen what people do actually make a lot of sense if you think about it. (It's why I have a high opinion of how smart people are in general, it's just that we're all compared to other people. If you put the 5 best basketball players in the world in a single team one of them is going to be the worst player.)

21 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

and from what I've seen what people do actually make a lot of sense if you think about it.

I mean, brains do make a lot of sense, but only if you realize what their priorities are. Brains have evolved with their highest priority being keeping their hosts alive during times of resource shortage.

They also tend to make a lot more sense in hindsight.

21 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Oh, do you have anything interesting that you've read on psychology?

I probably did way back in the day, but that was back in college when I had the time (and library subscriptions and research assignments) to browse around scientific journals. But that was more than 7 years ago.

Edited by Ice Dragon

14 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I mean, brains do make a lot of sense, but only if you realize what their priorities are. Brains have evolved with their highest priority being keeping their hosts alive during times of resource shortage.

They also tend to make a lot more sense in hindsight.

Fair.

I mostly predict based on:

There are only 50 people in the world.

Everyone you meet you will meet again, and they'll remember you.

Meaning I can successfully predict things like people rejecting a free dollar when they see that the other guy gets ninety-nine. (IRRC there was an experiment where participants were 'randomly' paired off, one split a hundred dollars, and the other one chooses whether they both get the money the way the first person split it, or they get nothing at all. The guy doing the splitting is always a researcher, meaning they'll always give 'unfair' deals, and I'm pretty sure almost everyone rejected the deal.)

But I have no idea what makes people automatically act like stereotypical prison wardens if they're given the 'role' of prisoners or guards. The Stanford Prison Experiment.

(I get fitting in so you don't get your head cut off, but what makes the first guy who set the trend act like a stereotype?)

Edited by DehNutCase

I'm F2P mainly because I can't afford to buy orb packs, but, if I had the money, you can bet I would have spent all of it to +10 my husbandos. But since I can't, I continuously pray Shigure comes on a future Stance banner and merge up Fae because she keeps invading my barracks even though I don't want her.

People play how they want. I personally like seeing what units whales +10 and what skills they use.

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Insert philosophical babble others have said wherein I'm tolerant to Pay to Win gamers. Let us all FtP, PtW, and PtF alike try to be semiproductive, semihealthy citizens though.*

FtP - Free to Play

PtW - Pay to win

PtF - ??? 

Edited by Tenzen12