Restart SP glitch.

Raven

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, crazy glitch there. And yeah, I'm definitely not surprised IS won't punish anyone for this, because it doesn't have any significant effect on anything, not to mention that if IS were to punish everyone who did it, they'd likely be punishing a large portion of the playerbase due to how easy it is to exploit, which is silly. xP

I do wonder if they'll eventually fix it anyway though.

Edited by Anacybele

I am not really surprised that there is no punishment for this exploit either. For reasons already stated. Anyway the exploit is making training the units I haven't bothered with much easier. Takes awhile getting enough SP for skills that are costly, especially after skill inheritance normally. So cutting out that time for a large amount of units does help. 

11 hours ago, Raven said:

Try it at your own risk, I'm not sure if abusers will be punished or not (unlikely because it's so damn easy to reproduce), but here's a video so you can see it in action:

Thanks for letting us know about this! I've been meaning to farm some SP on some characters, but haven't had the motivation -- but this makes it extremely efficient. Time to finally gift some of my favorite benchwarmers some SP...

I'd also like to point out that the glitch doesn't require you to kill an enemy for the SP multiplier to kick in, so you simply hit restart several times in a row if you only wanted to farm with the high multipliers. 768 SP is the most you can get in a kill, as, after that, the SP gains breaks and you need to exit the map.

I also think it would be insane for them to punish anyone who uses it. This is, after all, their mistake. It is, in no way, the fault of any of the players that this can be done. Nobody hacked or altered the game, so how could IS reasonably blame any us? It's entirely their fault.

They responded to a user

Hello, this is Nintendo Smart Device Administrator, Ito. Thank you for contacting us.

The issue that you have brought to our attention is currently being investigated, and we are looking for a fix.

The SP gained from the issue in question is free to use, no problem.

Please be assured that you will not be punished.

If you notice any other issues, please feel free to contact us again. We hope that you will continue to play Fire Emblem Heroes.

7 minutes ago, Astellius said:

I also think it would be insane for them to punish anyone who uses it. This is, after all, their mistake. It is, in no way, the fault of any of the players that this can be done. Nobody hacked or altered the game, so how could IS reasonably blame any us? It's entirely their fault.

If I accidentally left a security vulnerability in the software my company sells to our customers and they get hacked due to someone exploiting that vulnerability, is the hacker allowed to get off scot-free because it was my fault the security vulnerability existed? I think not.

Exploiting a bug existing in a game for malicious intent is no different, and most companies that run MMO games will employ punitive measures against players exploiting bugs that cause damage to the game's multiplayer environment.

There is a very big difference between "being given the ability to do something" and "being given the right to do something".

Players have the ability to exploit bugs in the game, but do not have the right to do so until those running the game have given them that right.

And it seems we've been given that right, at least until it gets fixed. I don't think the people managing the game want to sift through all of the records to do anything about it when it really doesn't do anything harmful to the game. It probably actually costs more money in terms of employee time to go through the records than the money they probably aren't losing to this bug. It's also pretty good for their PR.

Tons of virtually free SP doesn't really give a player any real advantage (getting the skill fodder is the hard part), and I doubt the people running the game care about the stamina restores that players don't have to use because of this bug.

I'm not expecting compensation orbs unless they need to bring the server down specifically for this, which seems unlikely.

I'll probably do this a bit for some of my favorites just to get the shiny SP number, but I don't have the time to bother with this when level ups and merges are usually enough for my needs.

11 hours ago, Astellius said:

I'd also like to point out that the glitch doesn't require you to kill an enemy for the SP multiplier to kick in, so you simply hit restart several times in a row if you only wanted to farm with the high multipliers. 768 SP is the most you can get in a kill, as, after that, the SP gains breaks and you need to exit the map.

Good point. 

Too bad this doesn't work for Ally/Summoner Support, this is the real score chore when trying for a GHB clear. 

4 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

I just hope this doesn't get patch any time soon.

Anyone got recommendation on how to grind with medics/stave users?

Just let Lucius shoot you with Pain I guess?

4 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

I just hope this doesn't get patch any time soon.

4 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Having a second healer with Pain-Savage Blow-Savage Blow definitely helps a lot. I also recommend running a dagger user to mass debuff the enemy to make them easier to kill. Finally, you can run a Dancer/Singer to kill two or more units per restart quickly

Edited by XRay

Somehow 4 healers at once won't work. After some restarts they won't get any SP at all. Similar to the effect that you receive only SP for the first 8 heals on a map. 

/Edit: It seems the maximum I can get per heal is 256 SP after 7 restarts (no blessing, no Valor obviously). 

Edited by mampfoid

I'll have to see if I have any units that could benefit from this.  I've legitimately begun to run out of units to train.

22 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

If I accidentally left a security vulnerability in the software my company sells to our customers and they get hacked due to someone exploiting that vulnerability, is the hacker allowed to get off scot-free because it was my fault the security vulnerability existed? I think not.

Exploiting a bug existing in a game for malicious intent is no different, and most companies that run MMO games will employ punitive measures against players exploiting bugs that cause damage to the game's multiplayer environment.

There is a very big difference between "being given the ability to do something" and "being given the right to do something".

Players have the ability to exploit bugs in the game, but do not have the right to do so until those running the game have given them that right.

Thankfully, such a glitch as this is unable to damage or alter pvp content (e.g. arena ranks, scores, etc.) or other people's accounts in any way, so it was unlikely to be punishable from the beginning. Otherwise your example on cheating in pvp situations is true.

As SP is infinite, only gated by the stamina bar, the response from IS is completely unsurprising.  I'm just gonna keep playing as I normally have - if I like a character enough, they'll get all the SP they need naturally.

12 hours ago, Humanoid said:

7 hours ago, XRay said:

Having a second healer with Pain-Savage Blow-Savage Blow definitely helps a lot. I also recommend running a dagger user to mass debuff the enemy to make them easier to kill. Finally, you can run a Dancer/Singer to kill two or more units per restart quickly

Well so far using 2 dancers seems to be working.

Thanks for suggestion.

16 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Good point. 

Too bad this doesn't work for Ally/Summoner Support, this is the real score chore when trying for a GHB clear. 

Thanks! And as for Ally/Summoner Support, that's based on map clears. But I honestly find farming for SP on tertiary characters to be more taxing than farming support. But, I also admit that I almost never farm support, since I never find a need for it.

16 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

You can grind via kills or grind via healing. As others have mentioned, you could use the current BHB with Raven & Lucius, where you suck up a hit from Lucius and have your healer heal units on the second turn. You could pack your team with 3 dancers and the healer, which would mean you could get 256 SP x4 for the healer on the final multiplier. That's pretty good.

11 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Somehow 4 healers at once won't work. After some restarts they won't get any SP at all. Similar to the effect that you receive only SP for the first 8 heals on a map. 

/Edit: It seems the maximum I can get per heal is 256 SP after 7 restarts (no blessing, no Valor obviously). 

I think there's a base number they use to calculate the SP you get. After 7 restarts, you get 768 SP on a regular kill, which is the maximum. Basically, that would just imply that the SP for healing is calculated as 1/3 the base rate for a regular kill, so, after the base rate exceeds the limit, it breaks.

I used this to dump over 5000 SP on pretty much every bench-warmer and procrastionation-friendly unit in my army. ToD!Henry, Tobin, ToD!Jakob, Athena, Ogma, Arden, Effie, Clive, LA!LIlina, Gunnthra, Linde, Kaze, Kagero, Priscilla, the Askr trio and quite a few more.

So many units could benefit from unique builds or niche roles as AA counters but I could never build them because farming on those units is a massive chore. With this glitch that's out the window. To the point that I'm considering promoting a few units I was thinking about just to get the SP ahead of time. Fae, Odin, Roy, Felicia, etc.

I doubt this will last. For all I know it could be gone with the double SP weekend so definitely get it in while you can.

1 hour ago, Zeo said:

For all I know it could be gone with the double SP weekend so definitely get it in while you can.

It's almost certainly caused by a developer forgetting to reset the double SP multiplier after restarting the map, resulting in it being applied over and over again.

That means if they patch in a fix after today, it's gone forever.

5 hours ago, Astellius said:

But, I also admit that I almost never farm support, since I never find a need for it.

It happens from time to time that I need exactly that one or two points of SPD or ATK for a one turn clear which is possible only with a change of support. 

And just like that, it's gone.

I'm already feeling it. But at the very least, every 5 star in my barracks got their fill of SP as well as a few *4's and my new Fae. Was nice while it lasted.

Cheers~

All I really used this glitch on were units who either weren't fully built, were not built at all, any Lances and Breaths (Since I don't have their Valor skills yet), Mist, and the Askr trio.

Also a 4* L'arachel who I anticipated would be a pain to build. Otherwise, most of the rest of my army was unaffected.

It'll be a miracle if this glitch doesn't get fixed before next week, when the next multiplier day is.

10 hours ago, Xenomata said:

It'll be a miracle if this glitch doesn't get fixed before next week, when the next multiplier day is.

If we all send Feedback and ask nicely, maybe they will turn the glitch into an actual feature available in Special Training. Special Training costs stamina, but the enemies there are so much weaker and you can massacre the enemies in quick succession for even faster SP gain.

20 minutes ago, XRay said:

If we all send Feedback and ask nicely, maybe they will turn the glitch into an actual feature available in Special Training. Special Training costs stamina, but the enemies there are so much weaker and you can massacre the enemies in quick succession for even faster SP gain.

I dunno. Int System doesn't exactly sound like the "Is it a bug or a feature? Yes." type of company...

Then again, Nintendo at least does preserve most glitches in remasterings, remakes, and re-whatevers, so they at least have some level of glitch acceptance.

Even if they did keep it though, it'd have to be retooled heavily. For my example, Hard mode Lucius and Raven with 5 enemies on the highest SP multiplier before SP gains are lowered, 768 or something like that, made up something like 35% of a units maximum SP, not counting previous runs, and most of the units I gave SP to via the glitch ended in the high 4ks if I couldn't manage many kills with them, such as Leo and Mist, and 6k-7k if they could kill 4 enemies a run until the final run, where they kill 5 enemies and clear the map.

Even a unit who is trying to learn only the highest costing inherited skills WITH a personal weapon they need to learn via SP in addition to a forge, so that'd be a forged personal weapon, a dual Rally assist, Galeforce/Aether, Close/Distant Counter, and any 240 SP skill in slots B and C, would get all the SP they needed in just one string of retries on the Lucius and Raven BHB.

Maybe if they kept the glitch, retooled how SP multipliers stacked, and removed the stamina cost on the training maps we have in rotation...? I dunno, I'd like it kept as much as some other people, but no sweet granny who gives candy to all the young'uns and pies in the windowsill gets to stay rent-free.

Edited by Xenomata