Pokemon the Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution

Jedi

10 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

Why though?

nostalgia pandering nothing more nothing less though I am curious to see where they go with this.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Hmm, I wonder if it's just the movie or they'll also include his origin clip... or was it already part of the movie...?

From my childhood recollection, the bit where M2 blows up the lab and then works for Don Giovan is part of the movie.

12 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

The same reason they're doing the Let's Go games.

Nostalgia money.

Game freak realized that they have more fans in their 20s than kids today whose heads are in their phones. While I  didn't see the movie when it came out I did see it after the fact and man is it a cringe fest without those nifty rose colored glasses.

Also top secret  footage from the board room about game freak and Hollywood exec's reasoning to remake the movie.

tenor.gif

One on hand, i want to be excited. On the other hand, i can't because Game Freak continues to pander the shit out of Gen 1. If Mewtwo Strikes Back was remade in a time where the Gen 1 pandering wasn't so blatant, then i could totally be excited for it. But right now, i just can't.

Reminder that the Sun&Moon anime cast has yet to appear in a movie.

33 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

From my childhood recollection, the bit where M2 blows up the lab and then works for Don Giovan is part of the movie.

Origin clip he means Mewtwos birth and loss of his human friend who triggered his want for revenge. Without it the English version kinda loses almost entirely its context on why Mewtwo hates humanity.

Like, is Disney even aware they made movies after 1960? I'm so sick of this Golden Age pandering. Hunchback of Notre Dame is my favorite movie and it doesn't even have a ride at disney world. When will they realize that there are moviegoers under the age of 40???

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Reminder that the Sun&Moon anime cast has yet to appear in a movie.

Pokemon movies are a way to promote legendary Pokemon, as they usually get very small appearances in the main anime. Thing is, Gen 7 doesn’t have a lot of legendaries, and they’re mostly being integrated in the main anime’s plot, so there’s little reason for a movie with the Sun and Moon cast.

4 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Pokemon movies are a way to promote legendary Pokemon, as they usually get very small appearances in the main anime. Thing is, Gen 7 doesn’t have a lot of legendaries, and they’re mostly being integrated in the main anime’s plot, so there’s little reason for a movie with the Sun and Moon cast.

Let me remind you that

1. Gen 6 also didn't have a lot of legendaries yet it got three movies.
  2. The Pokemon anime always incorporates Legendary Pokemon into their plots, usually near the end but some of the minor ones appear earlier.

Because of those two reasons, saying that there's little reason to have a movie with the Sun and Moon cast isn't that valid.

23 hours ago, Armagon said:

Let me remind you that

1. Gen 6 also didn't have a lot of legendaries yet it got three movies.
  2. The Pokemon anime always incorporates Legendary Pokemon into their plots, usually near the end but some of the minor ones appear earlier.

Because of those two reasons, saying that there's little reason to have a movie with the Sun and Moon cast isn't that valid.

And let me remind you that these three movies starred Diance, Hoopa and Volcanion, legendaries that did not appear in the main anime, were only officially revealed a long time after X/Y were released and could only be obtained through events. It was obvious that the movies were to promote the legendaries.

The “hidden” legendaries of Gen 7 however had a bit of problem, since Magearna was revealed in a Gen 6 movie, Marshadow’s movie coincided with the 20th anniversary, so they had to do something special and Zeraora, which is only getting a movie now. The was no need for a movie with the Sun and Moon cast.

Edited by Water Mage

9 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

And let me remind you that these three movies starred Diance, Hoopa and Volcanion, legendaries that did not appear in the main anime, were only officially revealed a long time after X/Y were released and could only be obtained through events. It was obvious that the movies were to promote the legendaries.

The “hidden” legendaries of Gen 7 however had a bit of problem, since Magearna was revealed in a Gen 6 movie, Marshadow’s movie coincided with the 20th anniversary, so they had to do something special and Zeraora, which is only getting a movie now. The was no need for a movie with the Sun and Moon cast.

You missed my second point

23 hours ago, Armagon said:

The Pokemon anime always incorporates Legendary Pokemon into their plots, usually near the end but some of the minor ones appear earlier.

The main Legendaries of each Gen always get a movie and more often than not, they end up appearing in the main plot of the anime. So i don't see why we can't have a movie with the Sun&Moon cast featuring Solgaleo, Lunala, or Necrozma.

I'd much rather have Pokemon movies with a cast than i know instead of a bunch of nobodies that exist solely for the purpose of rebooting the movie series. Though with this Mewtwo Strikes Back remake, we still don't know if they're reusing the Gen 1 anime cast or if it's the nobodies from the reboot series.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You missed my second point

The main Legendaries of each Gen always get a movie and more often than not, they end up appearing in the main plot of the anime. So i don't see why we can't have a movie with the Sun&Moon cast featuring Solgaleo, Lunala, or Necrozma.

I'd much rather have Pokemon movies with a cast than i know instead of a bunch of nobodies that exist solely for the purpose of rebooting the movie series. Though with this Mewtwo Strikes Back remake, we still don't know if they're reusing the Gen 1 anime cast or if it's the nobodies from the reboot series.

When main legendaries have a movie, the usually don’t appear in the anime with a large role, with the exception of Zekrom and Reshiram. The opposite also holds true, when Legendary Pokemon have a major role in the anime, they don’t appear in movies a lot. For example, Groudon and Kyogre, Xerneas and Yvetal, Meloetta, Solgaleo and the Tapus.

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

When main legendaries have a movie, the usually don’t appear in the anime with a large role, with the exception of Zekrom and Reshiram. The opposite also holds true, when Legendary Pokemon have a major role in the anime, they don’t appear in movies a lot. For example, Groudon and Kyogre, Xerneas and Yvetal, Meloetta, Solgaleo and the Tapus.

Counterpoint: Dialga, Palkia, Giratina and Arceus all had movies. Heck, there was a whole trilogy about them. Dialga and Palkia also served pretty big roles in one arc of the DP anime. You already mentioned Zekrom and Reshiram. Lugia had it's own movie and then had a whole episode dedicated to it in the Johto anime (back when Legendaries weren't that big of a deal in the plots or the series in general). Xerneas and Yveltal shared a movie and then both of them appeared again in two of XY's specials, which are canon to the main series, unlike the movies themselves, whose canonicty is debatable.

Point is, there's no reason not to have a movie with the Sun&Moon cast. And about the Alola Legedaries, they can absolutely make a movie about Lunala or Necrozma, as neither of them will be serving large roles any time soon.

13 hours ago, Armagon said:

Counterpoint: Dialga, Palkia, Giratina and Arceus all had movies. Heck, there was a whole trilogy about them. Dialga and Palkia also served pretty big roles in one arc of the DP anime. You already mentioned Zekrom and Reshiram. Lugia had it's own movie and then had a whole episode dedicated to it in the Johto anime (back when Legendaries weren't that big of a deal in the plots or the series in general). Xerneas and Yveltal shared a movie and then both of them appeared again in two of XY's specials, which are canon to the main series, unlike the movies themselves, whose canonicty is debatable.

Point is, there's no reason not to have a movie with the Sun&Moon cast. And about the Alola Legedaries, they can absolutely make a movie about Lunala or Necrozma, as neither of them will be serving large roles any time soon.

Again, Palkia and Dialga played a very small role in the movies, their first movie was to promote Darkrai, an event Pokemon, the same applies for Giratina, it played second fidle to Shaymin an event Pokemon, and Arceus was always an event Pokemon. Lugia’s movie was from the very second one, so this pattern wasn’t decided yet. Xerneas and Yvetal also played second fidle for Diance, an event Pokemon. And about Zekrom and Reshiram, one could argue that they played second fidle to Victini, an event Pokemon.

39 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Again, Palkia and Dialga played a very small role in the movies, their first movie was to promote Darkrai, an event Pokemon, the same applies for Giratina

Yes, those movies were to promote Darkrai and Shaymin but to say that Dialga, Palkia and Giratina played very small roles is outright false. The whole plot of The Rise of Darkrai, for example, is trying to stop Dialga and Palkia from fighting and the Giratina/Shaymin movie is literally called "Giratina and the Sky Warrior" so if you really think Giratina only played a very small role in it, then i don't know what to tell you.

And about Zekrom and Reshiram, one could argue that they played second fidle to Victini, an event Pokemon.

That movie was to promote Victini, yes, but Zekrom and Reshiram played important roles in the movies.

Xerneas and Yvetal also played second fidle for Diance, an event Pokemon.

Yet Xenreas and Yveltal served important roles in the movie as well (well, mainly Yveltal).

Just because the main Legendary isn't on the title doesn't mean it serves small roles.

Edited by Armagon

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Yes, those movies were to promote Darkrai and Shaymin but to say that Dialga, Palkia and Giratina played very small roles is outright false. The whole plot of The Rise of Darkrai, for example, is trying to stop Dialga and Palkia from fighting and the Giratina/Shaymin movie is literally called "Giratina and the Sky Warrior" so if you really think Giratina only played a very small role in it, then i don't know what to tell you.

That movie was to promote Victini, yes, but Zekrom and Reshiram played important roles in the movies.

Yet Xenreas and Yveltal served important roles in the movie as well (well, mainly Yveltal).

Just because the main Legendary isn't on the title doesn't mean it serves small roles.

Perhaps I downplayed their roles in the movies, but my point was that they weren’t the stars. The stars are usually the event Pokemon.

Every Pokemon movie, other than 2 and 3, are meant to promote an event Pokemon or a new Gen. Since there’s nothing yet to promote with the Sun/Moon cast there’s no need to put them in a movie. The Zeraora movie could have been it, but they missed their chance.