Salad

1 minute ago, Dragoncat said:

Yeah, for health reasons, salad is better. I hope I didn't sound mean with my comment about "going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a hooker for a hug". I guess my point was if you don't have a health condition that pretty much forces you to eat low carb, getting salads at fast food places is just wtf because fast food places are...idk, you get the point?

I'm type two diabetic as you might know, and I can eat fast food but I just have to not go hog wild on it.

I know what you were saying and if I could eat the burger without problems I would. I can eat carbs I just have to count how many I eat and give a shot for it which is a big pain when eating out, with a salad I can get by without a shot.  I am just saying that fast food menus having lower carb options is nice and makes me happy.

personally its most sauces i have a problem with, and salad without any type of dressing isnt very good. i think when i move i might try my hand at making my own vinaigrette so i can actually eat the damn stuff. havent found a single store bought one i like other than the stuff at subway - which you can't buy.

On 7/15/2018 at 10:21 AM, Darros said:

personally its most sauces i have a problem with, and salad without any type of dressing isnt very good. i think when i move i might try my hand at making my own vinaigrette so i can actually eat the damn stuff. havent found a single store bought one i like other than the stuff at subway - which you can't buy.

Ever tried the Olive Garden dressing?

Homemade food is better tasting in general anyway.

@Darros: The recipe below (the whole article, really) might be able to help.

Vinaigrette basics

Ingredients

• 3/4 to 1 cup olive oil, extra-virgin olive oil, or any good-tasting oil
  • 1/4 cup good-tasting vinegar or lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • Optional extras (choose 1 or 2, to taste): 1 minced shallot, 1 minced or grated garlic clove, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon grainy mustard, 1 to 2 tablespoons minced herbs, 1 to 2 tablespoons finely grated cheese, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon honey

Equipment

• Measuring cups and spoons

• Bowl, blender, or jar with lid

• Whisk, fork, blender, or immersion blender

Instructions

1. Measure all ingredients into a bowl, blender, or jar.

2. Combine the vinaigrette: If using a bowl, use a fork or whisk to rapidly blend the vinaigrette together. If using a jar, top with the lid and shake until the vinaigrette is combined. If using a blender, blend until the vinaigrette is thoroughly combined.

3. Taste the vinaigrette: Dip a leaf of salad into the vinaigrette and give it a taste; tasting the dressing with the greens gives you a better idea of how the vinaigrette will taste with a salad than if you taste it on its own.

4. Adjust the taste: Add more olive oil for a more mellow flavor, more vinegar or lemon juice for more tartness, and more of any of the other ingredients to taste. Whisk, shake, or blend to combine.

5. Use the vinaigrette: For a side salad for 2 to 4, start with a tablespoon of dressing, toss, and continue adding until the greens are evenly coated and look glossy. Serve immediately.

6. Store the vinaigrette: Transfer leftover vinaigrette to a jar or other container with a lid (if it's not already in a jar). If the vinaigrette contains any fresh ingredients, like lemon juice or minced shallots, store it in the fridge. Vinaigrettes will keep for 3 to 5 days; shake to recombine the vinaigrette before using.

Edited by Karimlan

16 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Ever tried the Olive Garden dressing?

Homemade food is better tasting in general anyway.

Where I live there is no Olive Garden, and I've never seen it at a store. I'll look up one of those substitute recipes though and see where it gets me.

14 hours ago, Karimlan said:

@Darros: The recipe below (the whole article, really) might be able to help.

Vinaigrette basics

Ingredients

• 3/4 to 1 cup olive oil, extra-virgin olive oil, or any good-tasting oil
  • 1/4 cup good-tasting vinegar or lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • Optional extras (choose 1 or 2, to taste): 1 minced shallot, 1 minced or grated garlic clove, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon grainy mustard, 1 to 2 tablespoons minced herbs, 1 to 2 tablespoons finely grated cheese, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon honey

Equipment

• Measuring cups and spoons

• Bowl, blender, or jar with lid

• Whisk, fork, blender, or immersion blender

Instructions

1. Measure all ingredients into a bowl, blender, or jar.

2. Combine the vinaigrette: If using a bowl, use a fork or whisk to rapidly blend the vinaigrette together. If using a jar, top with the lid and shake until the vinaigrette is combined. If using a blender, blend until the vinaigrette is thoroughly combined.

3. Taste the vinaigrette: Dip a leaf of salad into the vinaigrette and give it a taste; tasting the dressing with the greens gives you a better idea of how the vinaigrette will taste with a salad than if you taste it on its own.

4. Adjust the taste: Add more olive oil for a more mellow flavor, more vinegar or lemon juice for more tartness, and more of any of the other ingredients to taste. Whisk, shake, or blend to combine.

5. Use the vinaigrette: For a side salad for 2 to 4, start with a tablespoon of dressing, toss, and continue adding until the greens are evenly coated and look glossy. Serve immediately.

6. Store the vinaigrette: Transfer leftover vinaigrette to a jar or other container with a lid (if it's not already in a jar). If the vinaigrette contains any fresh ingredients, like lemon juice or minced shallots, store it in the fridge. Vinaigrettes will keep for 3 to 5 days; shake to recombine the vinaigrette before using.

I didn't know you could sub the vinegar for lemon juice actually! I think that would make a huge difference for me. I know they both exist to make it sour, but the actual flavor is quite different I find. Annoyed about the extras, because I'm on a low FODMAP diet for the time being (My large intestine is kind of broken. I'll spare you the details.) and I can't have like any of those things other than the herbs - but those add quite a lot so maybe even then it'll work.

Here's a question for you then, if I wanted to make it just a bit thicker do you think I could add flour to it, or would that ruin the vinaigrette? I know that they're kind of supposed to be runny, but I do prefer them thicker (and then I might be able to use it for hoagies too).

@Darros: I'm not sure if flour is a good idea, but egg whites (which is the secret to any Caesar dressing worth your trouble) or mayo would give it enough body to add to subs and hoagies.

6 hours ago, Karimlan said:

@Darros: I'm not sure if flour is a good idea, but egg whites (which is the secret to any Caesar dressing worth your trouble) or mayo would give it enough body to add to subs and hoagies.

Not to sound like a total wimp, but would the raw-ness of the egg white be a problem? Can't stand mayo, the flavor permeates and all I'll be able to taste is mayo and I'll just get sick instead. Do appreciate the suggestion though.

I stand corrected. That would be whole eggs for a Caesar's salad, or other emulsified vinaigrettes. Your problem with the egg's rawness is solved by coddling the egg—immersing it in near-boiling water to get rid of salmonella.

In the case of a plain vinaigrette, it's simply oil, any good-tasting souring agent, salt, pepper, and whatever herb you prefer.

4 hours ago, Darros said:

Not to sound like a total wimp, but would the raw-ness of the egg white be a problem? Can't stand mayo, the flavor permeates and all I'll be able to taste is mayo and I'll just get sick instead. Do appreciate the suggestion though.

For vinaigrette, some people use a little mustard as an emulsifier to keep the two liquids well mixed as well as thicken it a little. I do not usually add mustard into my vinaigrette, but if I do, i prefer to use fancier Dijon mustard or deli mustard rather than the plain yellow mustard.