Most unintentionally funny moment in Fire Emblem (spoiler warning)

Let's have some fun with the moments that....didn't work out.

For me, it's Flora's death in Birthright. It's out of nowhere, kinda silly, and doesn't make sense(why is Flora killing herself rather then joining Corrin? Why is she using a method that can easily be countered by the snow, and why is nobody putting said snow on her? And why is she traumatizing her sister?)

Edited by CyberController

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@CyberController

That is easily one of the most senseless moments in the series.  Anyone who can't see how forced that tragedy was is blind; it's even more forced than the deaths in Fates: Revelation, which says a lot.  Also, you should spoiler that or warn of spoilers in the topic title.

Not necessarily canon stuff, but I find all the moments in a certain translation of Genealogy where Sigurd just seems all callous or rednecky ("They're callin' me a traitor?") stupidly hilarious because it's so counter to how he's supposed to be characterized.

I also love any moments where a character gives you a weapon and says "give this to [x character]", especially if they want me to give it to some ganked-ass unit who is utterly useless.  I'm just like "that's cute" and give it to, like, Catria or someone else who's supremely OP instead.  Or when the gameplay segregates from the story hardcore, such as when you make a fragile cleric/villager into a beast combatant yet they're still all like "I'm useless on the battlefield".  Shut up Mozu, I've turned you into a god, now go kill that gigantic dragon thing with your 40+ atk rating and 30% natural crit rate.

EDIT: Oh, and you also can't forget characters traveling across an entire country within the span of a single turn in Genealogy.  That's definitely unintentionally hilarious.

Edited by Ertrick36

Some of the Radiant Dawn support conversations can be pretty good.

Shinon: Hey, Boyd. You know the rules…no whining on the battlefield.

Boyd: Hah! Just try and stop me.

2 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Chapter Name: Living Legend

Units Allowed: 11

Objectives: Secure the enemy before Pent soloed them

The one time a green unit was good, and it had to be the time you needed that exp to get the gaiden chapter. Not that I knew my first time through.

The whole Cyrkensia scene in Conquest. I mean there's Corrin and Garon being out-of-this-worldly dense when it came to Azura, and there were Garon's mematic "moans of increasing discomfort."

Edited by Arcphoenix

Zelgius revelation in RD. And the entire explanation on how Black Knight survived (both japanese and english version are ridiculous for me). 

I think Flora's death is not that bad in birthright. I legit was sad for a moment there. Revelation takes the cake for worst death in Fates because I actually like Scarlet and she died in a terrible fashion. 

And how Deirdre and Sigurd met. It was supposed to be romantic and love at first sight but I was laughing so hard at how cliche it is. I thought at least I can still romance him with other female but nope. it's even worse than Sumia in Awakening, at least she wasn't forced despite IS clear intention of pushing her to be Chrom's wife.

Conquest spoilers:

Spoiler

I thought Lilith's death in Conquest was funnier than Flora's. She just flies in out of nowhere and dies in one hit from a faceless! Even if she's level 99! And you just fought a bunch of faceless in the last chapter so you probably didn't need Lilith's help anyway! What?!

Also in Fates: any time the characters are wearing silly accessories during important cutscenes.

Even if it's predictable, Yarne ending up as an absolute beast of a unit while still being a coward personality-wise is one of the funniest things I've seen.

Kellam, of all characters, is competing with Chrom and ROBIN for most powerful character in my current run-through of Awakening. I wish he had an alternative ending if he manages to be the MVP of the game. It's also funny to think that while his allies have a hard time noticing him, almost every single enemy in the game is wasting their lives trying to bring him down.

Speaking of which, in my current ironman run of Awakening, I reclassed Fredrick into a wyvern rider since I found him useless at fulfilling the Jeigan role, and he died. So now in every cutscene, he's stuck with the unpromoted wyvern rider costume which... just looks unfitting at points.

Whenever Hinoka finds something in My Castle, she always points out how suspicious the thing is. Even stuff like beans, rice, wheat and milk. This girl is paranoid AF, I swear.

Another hilarious one is from Awakening, when Stahl mistakes weapons like Alm's Blade for food.

On 14.7.2018 at 9:40 AM, Ertrick36 said:

Or when the gameplay segregates from the story hardcore, such as when you make a fragile cleric/villager into a beast combatant yet they're still all like "I'm useless on the battlefield".  Shut up Mozu, I've turned you into a god, now go kill that gigantic dragon thing with your 40+ atk rating and 30% natural crit rate.

Oh yeah, I love these. Especially all those bosses that are like "You'll never beat me!" and you just one-shot them.
Or when you kill the final boss with some random shmuck when the game kept telling you that you desperately NEED the ultimate weapon of that game to kill that god-like being that will surely destroy the world.
Bonus points in both cases if you manage to take them down with joke weapons. Nothing is more satisfying than beating Anankos with a Frying Pan to the face.

Honestly most of Conquest's plot is funny, but to actually add something to what's already been mentioned

Spoiler

The sheer convenience of Azura suddenly having a crystal ball to inform Corrin of slime Garon, and the way the game uses the convenient breaking as a reason to not show Leo/Elise.  The plot is just so hilariously railroaded into invading Hoshido.  

Philia suddenly popping in during chapter 9 just to immediately get killed by teleporting zombie archers, with her sudden dead barely acknowledged by anyone.

Edited by BrightBow

I think we can all agree Fates has terribad writing.

I'd add one, but I can't think of any. Plenty of intentionally funny stuff, but not unintentionally funny.

I'm not sure I'd call it unintentionally funny, but I like leaving RD running for a few minutes right after Zelgius is almost executed. To be precise, when Valtome insults Sephiran and then Zelgius pulls him up into the air in response. I watch Valtome just struggle endlessly flailing his legs back and forth for a while, he deserves that.

3 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Philia suddenly popping in during chapter 9 just to immediately get killed by teleporting zombie archers, with her sudden dead barely acknowledged by anyone.

Nobody acknowledges the oddity of teleporting, and I think undead, archers either. Philia doesn't even get the Spotpass resurrection five others do. Shame, she seemed possibly interesting to me. Her death is supposed to be a sign of the master plan of Robin really turning into a case of guano hitting the fan, but unfortunately Emmeryn's "martyrdom", when really she had no choice but death at that point (which may or may not therefore make it martyrdom depending on how you define it), overshadows it entirely.

Playing Lunatic Classic Awakening, having new characters join your party, and then checking their matchups against enemies in the battle; Lunatic+'s existence; and the unlock requirements for certain trial map characters.

Edited by Arcphoenix

what I find kind of funny is that in lunatic+ of awakening "marth" can have luna+ in chapter four when you fight her. Then chapter 13 rolls around and suddenly lucina doesn't know how to do it anymore.

Edited by Otts486

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm not sure I'd call it unintentionally funny, but I like leaving RD running for a few minutes right after Zelgius is almost executed. To be precise, when Valtome insults Sephiran and then Zelgius pulls him up into the air in response. I watch Valtome just struggle endlessly flailing his legs back and forth for a while, he deserves that.

Nobody acknowledges the oddity of teleporting, and I think undead, archers either. Philia doesn't even get the Spotpass resurrection five others do. Shame, she seemed possibly interesting to me. Her death is supposed to be a sign of the master plan of Robin really turning into a case of guano hitting the fan, but unfortunately Emmeryn's "martyrdom", when really she had no choice but death at that point (which may or may not therefore make it martyrdom depending on how you define it), overshadows it entirely.

Philia's whole existence was just to serve as a reference to Genealogy of the Holy War. I doubt we would have gotten that scene if Awakening wasn't the potential dying gasp of the series.

58 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Philia's whole existence was just to serve as a reference to Genealogy of the Holy War. I doubt we would have gotten that scene if Awakening wasn't the potential dying gasp of the series.

You mean Mahnya? I kinda doubt that was the intend, seeing how Mahnya despite being only in one chapter is a far more developed and her death had a far larger impact. Admittedly that's not a high bar given that Philia's dead had no impact whatsoever. A one word exclamation of her name by Emmeryn and that's literally it before the game treats her as if she never existed in the first place. Still, considering that Mahnya was only in one chapter and that FE4's script is very barebone, I think they did a lot with very little.

It's just a little strange that Pamela doesn't show a reaction to Mahnya's dead outside her battle convos against Levin and Fury. They were made out to be rivals and Pamela was shown to have the ambition of taking Mahnya's title as Silesia's greatest Pegasus Knight. One would think that she would be bothered that Andrew suddenly showed up to steal her kill.

Spoiler

I legit find the entire thing with Conquest's portrayal of the hoshidans to be kinda weird.

like jesus christ dudes why the fuck do you think this guy that's been raised elsewhere with another family might not want to treat you guys as family.

I honestly found the Garon slime reveal to be funny in a "so cliche it's funny" way. 

13 minutes ago, Mister Rogers said:
  Hide contents

I legit find the entire thing with Conquest's portrayal of the hoshidans to be kinda weird.

like jesus christ dudes why the fuck do you think this guy that's been raised elsewhere with another family might not want to treat you guys as family.

I honestly found the Garon slime reveal to be funny in a "so cliche it's funny" way. 

I think Conquest would have been better if Garon started off kind and just, and then was slowly corrupted by Anankos. That would make it more emotional.

Let's not forget "Takumi, you could have killed me!" Duh, Corrin.

The Hoshidan siblings having a letter that makes it okay to screw them. It’s so forced, it’s funny.

On 7/15/2018 at 7:35 AM, DragonFlames said:

Whenever Hinoka finds something in My Castle, she always points out how suspicious the thing is. Even stuff like beans, rice, wheat and milk. This girl is paranoid AF, I swear.

Another hilarious one is from Awakening, when Stahl mistakes weapons like Alm's Blade for food.

Oh yeah, I love these. Especially all those bosses that are like "You'll never beat me!" and you just one-shot them.
Or when you kill the final boss with some random shmuck when the game kept telling you that you desperately NEED the ultimate weapon of that game to kill that god-like being that will surely destroy the world.
Bonus points in both cases if you manage to take them down with joke weapons. Nothing is more satisfying than beating Anankos with a Frying Pan to the face.

Well, Garon snuck a bomb into Hoshido, so she has a reason to be paranoid.