Faye has less than base resist as a falcon knight

Hi,

I'm wondering, is it normal that my falcon knight Faye has less than her class's base res stat as a falcon knight? she had 9 before promotion, she has 9 after promotion instead of 12 (that's a 3 points loss! I can't bear with it! Especially since I want to reclass her with a pitchfork now that she has 34 hp, 13 atk, 7 skl, 13 spd, 17 lck, 11 def and this crappy 9 res). I thought promotion was supposed to give your unit the promotion's base stats as a minimum...WTF with you Faye? Wanna get killed by the waves of thousands of witches hard mode sends you in chapter 3/4? At this rate I'll have to kill Desaix with a falcon knight Faye to get Alm the dracoshield so he doesn't get 1-turned by witch waves too.

Faye doesn't have high RES in general. I capped all of my clerics (all stats except RES), and Faye ended with the least with 12 RES and the remaining with 18 to 25.

Edited by Aera

Thanks for your answers. Well then maybe I should've made her a cavalier instead to get these awesome gold knight bases before going back to villager>cleric. I didn't know you didn't get the resist base stat of the class you go in. What's even the point of such trash promotion design? Everything is fine, but res in a game that throws you tons of 18 magic damage ennemies from midgame to the end. If you're forced to use a dracoshield per unit in order to survive the 12 witches surrounding you in chapters like Nuibaba's second and Nuibaba herself, then what's the point of having classes oriented on res? And Dread knight should have 6 base res in any case not only skills giving 5 damage reduction and halving magic damage. You're not fine with that when you have 3 res, up to 8 with passive #1 and halving the remaining 10 damage if you can't counter-kill on ennemy phase AND get your HP up a bit at the beginning of the next turn.

You don't exactly have 1 healer per unit. If your dread knight is circled by 5 witches he takes 25 damage per turn. Good luck surviving. If you don't have 6 base res at least and dread knight passives you just die in 1-2 turns. And recover is so inferior to staff healing that you can't compare the 2. My healers in classic FEs heal 80-100% of anyone's HP if their level is average. Recover only heals 80-100% HP of 1st tier units with <22 HP. The others just get completely shit on by any wave of ennemies in a game that doesn't hesitate to send you 10 units at a time. Barons shit on everybody with their base strength and def, only killable by magic damage or OP weapons and skills, Desaix and his dracoshield completely screws you over if you don't have 1 tank, 1 healer and 2 damage dealers who will deal 0-2 damage per turn, hoping you outdamage his 5 HP regen per turn. If you don't take his dracoshield, good luck on using squishy units past the beginning of chapter 3, because everyone get 1-2shot depending on their class and on the ennemy type. Witches just troll you over. Wanna recruit Delthea? Grind Clair until she can take only 1 damage per hit from magic units (good luck with res growth rates and exp hard cap level 10+) and a throwing weapon or regenerating item and high enough attack to ORKO every one of them. Until that moment Alm's party will get shit on in every magic class filled-mission which is like 40% of chapter 3. Fortunately Celica's route has more res-heavy units who lack def instead.

Just why did they make res impossible to get from promotion? IS has to enjoy taking 15 damage per witch/dark mage thrown at them, since they were the ones to design it...

PS: I'm just sad since I made Faye a falcon knight to give her high spd/skl/res, and falcon knight skl is pure trash even compared with paladin's or gold knight's and spd is still underwhelming (gold knight has 12 base spd against 10 for falcon knight), the class's HP is trash (34 is fine for a middle-tier class, not for a final class) a,d the res doesn't even change...so disappointing...next time I make her cavalier>gold knight then reclass her to cleric and she'll have 18 str, 11 skl?, 12 spd, 13 def as minimum stats with something like 38 HP or I don't remember exactly how many HP, but more than 34 for sure. With 40% HP growth you need this.

Female classes feel really underperforming in Echoes, such a waste since they added one or more female characters. And this res problem is still killing the game's balance.

Edited by mangasdeouf

Faye as a Falcoknight saved me from some pretty sticky situations, because there's some things a flier can do that a horse can't.  But to each their own.  Try her as a Cleric next time~!

1 hour ago, mangasdeouf said:

Thanks for your answers. Well then maybe I should've made her a cavalier instead to get these awesome gold knight bases before going back to villager>cleric. I didn't know you didn't get the resist base stat of the class you go in. What's even the point of such trash promotion design? Everything is fine, but res in a game that throws you tons of 18 magic damage ennemies from midgame to the end. If you're forced to use a dracoshield per unit in order to survive the 12 witches surrounding you in chapters like Nuibaba's second and Nuibaba herself, then what's the point of having classes oriented on res? And Dread knight should have 6 base res in any case not only skills giving 5 damage reduction and halving magic damage. You're not fine with that when you have 3 res, up to 8 with passive #1 and halving the remaining 10 damage if you can't counter-kill on ennemy phase AND get your HP up a bit at the beginning of the next turn.

You don't exactly have 1 healer per unit. If your dread knight is circled by 5 witches he takes 25 damage per turn. Good luck surviving. If you don't have 6 base res at least and dread knight passives you just die in 1-2 turns. And recover is so inferior to staff healing that you can't compare the 2. My healers in classic FEs heal 80-100% of anyone's HP if their level is average. Recover only heals 80-100% HP of 1st tier units with <22 HP. The others just get completely shit on by any wave of ennemies in a game that doesn't hesitate to send you 10 units at a time. Barons shit on everybody with their base strength and def, only killable by magic damage or OP weapons and skills, Desaix and his dracoshield completely screws you over if you don't have 1 tank, 1 healer and 2 damage dealers who will deal 0-2 damage per turn, hoping you outdamage his 5 HP regen per turn. If you don't take his dracoshield, good luck on using squishy units past the beginning of chapter 3, because everyone get 1-2shot depending on their class and on the ennemy type. Witches just troll you over. Wanna recruit Delthea? Grind Clair until she can take only 1 damage per hit from magic units (good luck with res growth rates and exp hard cap level 10+) and a throwing weapon or regenerating item and high enough attack to ORKO every one of them. Until that moment Alm's party will get shit on in every magic class filled-mission which is like 40% of chapter 3. Fortunately Celica's route has more res-heavy units who lack def instead.

Just why did they make res impossible to get from promotion? IS has to enjoy taking 15 damage per witch/dark mage thrown at them, since they were the ones to design it...

PS: I'm just sad since I made Faye a falcon knight to give her high spd/skl/res, and falcon knight skl is pure trash even compared with paladin's or gold knight's and spd is still underwhelming (gold knight has 12 base spd against 10 for falcon knight), the class's HP is trash (34 is fine for a middle-tier class, not for a final class) a,d the res doesn't even change...so disappointing...next time I make her cavalier>gold knight then reclass her to cleric and she'll have 18 str, 11 skl?, 12 spd, 13 def as minimum stats with something like 38 HP or I don't remember exactly how many HP, but more than 34 for sure. With 40% HP growth you need this.

Female classes feel really underperforming in Echoes, such a waste since they added one or more female characters. And this res problem is still killing the game's balance.

The stats here are truncated compared to FE13 and FE15. I agree that the RES stat is a bit unfair especially with the unpredictability of Witches. However, with Dread Fighter, they don't seem to encounter many problems with witches due to their avoidability and the small RES buff. Clerics and Mages counter them very easily such as Delthea, Mae, and Sonya. 

Faye in particular is a funny unit. Her stats don't scream Falcon Knight, but she can be a Falcon Knight. Her stats leans towards STR and DEF in particular. She is a lot better as a Mage or a Cleric. As a mage, she can dish out damage with Sagittae and Seraphim. She can swords to counter mages and witches and magic to counter low-RES enemy units. As a cleric, she can use Physic and Rescue. 

Echoes tends to be forgiving because you don't encounter witches a lot on Alm's side until the latter half and you can always use the Turnwheel when the witches become nasty.

Actually I'll make her a cleric as usual because this nosferatu magic is broken in solo runs like mine. I have 3 pitchforks to use after all, she will get the 1st one. I'm just deceived by the fact that even after getting through one of the anti-mage classes, she didn't get any bonus to her base res from promotions (and there were 2 from villager). It's just the same as going through knight in order to get more base def and discovering upon promotion that you don't get any def bonus even if you were under the class's base. It feels unrewarding. Especially when the only 3-stages class female units get is cavalier in order to boost their base stats compared with male units who have dread knight for spd, skl, str, hp and def, cavalier for mobility and more attack/def than dread fighter, baron for insane base def AND absolutely godly attack, just go to mage after baron and you'll ORKO everything without taking physical damage from non-baron ennemies, and archer for the final 1-4 range class after you got insane attack, hp, spd, skl, lck and def from any other class you've cycled through before reclassing.

Females have either mage to deal damage with middling res and trash base def, low res growth even for a magic class, cleric to heal and nosferatank with trash accuracy and give some utility at the cost of 8-15 HP, cavalier to be a lesser version of male cavaliers (except Mathilda but only because of her bases completing her class promotion bonuses so perfectly), and pegasi who have trash base stats and don't even benefit from promotion bonuses like other classes do since: 1. their speed base is ridiculously low (mercenaries have 3 more base speed than pegasi and equal speed to falcon knights, dread fighters have 1 more def and 4 more atk with 8 more spd and 11 more skl at base than pegasi and they at least get 2 passives reducing magic damage instead of the nothingness that falcon knight gives to not already res boosted units, Palla suffers a lot from falcon knight having so trash tier base stats especially if you keep her in her base class, while Catria and Est are likely to surpass their promotion base stats before reaching level 12, or benefitting from 1 or 2 points in atk and def and having already far surpassed the spd, skl and res bases with res being absent of promotions). I'd rather make Faye a baron and make her reach 25 str and 22 def before reclassing her than get her to pegasus now that I know how unrewarding this class is. Sure pegasus is a little better than paladin, but gold knights stomp pegasi like they're insects.

3 hours ago, mangasdeouf said:

Actually I'll make her a cleric as usual because this nosferatu magic is broken in solo runs like mine. I have 3 pitchforks to use after all, she will get the 1st one. I'm just deceived by the fact that even after getting through one of the anti-mage classes, she didn't get any bonus to her base res from promotions (and there were 2 from villager). It's just the same as going through knight in order to get more base def and discovering upon promotion that you don't get any def bonus even if you were under the class's base. It feels unrewarding. Especially when the only 3-stages class female units get is cavalier in order to boost their base stats compared with male units who have dread knight for spd, skl, str, hp and def, cavalier for mobility and more attack/def than dread fighter, baron for insane base def AND absolutely godly attack, just go to mage after baron and you'll ORKO everything without taking physical damage from non-baron ennemies, and archer for the final 1-4 range class after you got insane attack, hp, spd, skl, lck and def from any other class you've cycled through before reclassing.

Females have either mage to deal damage with middling res and trash base def, low res growth even for a magic class, cleric to heal and nosferatank with trash accuracy and give some utility at the cost of 8-15 HP, cavalier to be a lesser version of male cavaliers (except Mathilda but only because of her bases completing her class promotion bonuses so perfectly), and pegasi who have trash base stats and don't even benefit from promotion bonuses like other classes do since: 1. their speed base is ridiculously low (mercenaries have 3 more base speed than pegasi and equal speed to falcon knights, dread fighters have 1 more def and 4 more atk with 8 more spd and 11 more skl at base than pegasi and they at least get 2 passives reducing magic damage instead of the nothingness that falcon knight gives to not already res boosted units, Palla suffers a lot from falcon knight having so trash tier base stats especially if you keep her in her base class, while Catria and Est are likely to surpass their promotion base stats before reaching level 12, or benefitting from 1 or 2 points in atk and def and having already far surpassed the spd, skl and res bases with res being absent of promotions). I'd rather make Faye a baron and make her reach 25 str and 22 def before reclassing her than get her to pegasus now that I know how unrewarding this class is. Sure pegasus is a little better than paladin, but gold knights stomp pegasi like they're insects.

I don't think units can gain RES upon promotion. Also, RES increases less than 10% of the time, and the only classes can get a growth rate increase for RES are mage and cleric classes. The RES Growth is +1%. 

I think there are many good female characters in this game. I've played Echoes three times, and never ran into a problem with them. It's usually the male characters who die in my playthrough because of their abysmal RES.

Mathilda is the best cavalry unit among villager promotes and Clive in the game besides one other character at the end of the game. Delthea is one of the best mages in the game. Faye and Silque are major supporters in your team as clerics. Est and Catria carry your team a lot of the times on Celica's route. I defeated the final boss with Faye using Nosferatu with pretty low stats, if that helps you change your mind about female characters.

On 16/07/2018 at 12:32 AM, Aera said:

I don't think units can gain RES upon promotion. Also, RES increases less than 10% of the time, and the only classes can get a growth rate increase for RES are mage and cleric classes. The RES Growth is +1%. 

I think there are many good female characters in this game. I've played Echoes three times, and never ran into a problem with them. It's usually the male characters who die in my playthrough because of their abysmal RES.

Mathilda is the best cavalry unit among villager promotes and Clive in the game besides one other character at the end of the game. Delthea is one of the best mages in the game. Faye and Silque are major supporters in your team as clerics. Est and Catria carry your team a lot of the times on Celica's route. I defeated the final boss with Faye using Nosferatu with pretty low stats, if that helps you change your mind about female characters.

Actually, I'm not denying the fact that females units are good, just that their class choices are quite bad, 2 only magic classes with one having access to magic and swords, but swords aren't the best physical weapons even in this FE without a weapon triangle, they can't ever use a bow, they have trash skill in nearly every one of their final classes, not even worth mentionning inexistant skl in their tier 1 classes, and their only really potent physical class is cavalier, which is between knight and pegasus: more mobile than knights but still less than pegasi, better bases in t2 than pegasus t1 and better bases in t3 than falcon (t2), in every single stat. Still, I'd rather have a girl go through soldier+knight+baron then revert her to anything like pegasus or cleric or even mage, rather than having access to the single cavalier class line for t3 base stats. And no way to ever get bows isn't a good point at all.

From what I've seen of Faye she is a unit with better defense and strength as oppossed to high resistance. I tried her as a cav and she did really well in that class, probably my favorite for her, and when I tried her as a pegasus she still had good strength and defense allowing her to take damage pretty well (considering the typical fraility of the pegasus classe) and had good damage output. Especially compared to Clair, however Clair was better at baiting out and dealing with mages as she typically had better resistance. Faye was more of a speedier Palla as a Falcon knight than what you expect from falcon knights.

19 hours ago, SavageVolug said:

From what I've seen of Faye she is a unit with better defense and strength as oppossed to high resistance. I tried her as a cav and she did really well in that class, probably my favorite for her, and when I tried her as a pegasus she still had good strength and defense allowing her to take damage pretty well (considering the typical fraility of the pegasus classe) and had good damage output. Especially compared to Clair, however Clair was better at baiting out and dealing with mages as she typically had better resistance. Faye was more of a speedier Palla as a Falcon knight than what you expect from falcon knights.

This isn’t really how the promotions in this game work. Peg Faye vs. Clair is basically maybe 1 strength and at times 1 defense (rarely) vs. a ton of speed and resistance. Cav Faye is probably as generic as you get, I’d say about on par with Gray and below Clive in terms of usefulness (since Clive is basically Cav Faye if she started at level 6, AKA better). I’d say Mathilda, Tobin, and Kliff all easily outdo her (as cavs). I’d say in general her stats in all her classes are just average, with nothing really standing out.