Anime27Arts Travels Orsterra: An Octopath Traveler Let's Play

Anime27Arts

Hello Friends!

Some of you might be aware how excited I have been for the release of Octopath Traveler.  Ever since the game was announced and I played the first demo, I have been nonstop talking about this game.

Now I am here to share some of my thoughts as I journey through the land of Orsterra and step into the shoes of these 8 protagonists. 

Things to keep in mind as reading this

• This is my first play through of the game, so I can promise I won't find all of the little hidden gems along the way.
  • This play through will be essentially blind.  I did play the prologue chapter demo for each of the protagonists before the game came out, but I am not looking anything else up about the game.
  • Please do not spoil things that have no been mentioned in the play through.  This is not only for my sake, but for others who might not wanted to be spoiled ahead.
  • Because I'm super excited, there's a chance there will be a ton of updates very soon.  I apologize if I am moving too fast for anyone, I'm just super excited to be playing this game!

With that out of the way, let the journey begin!

Chapter 1 - The Hunt for the Right Path
Chapter 2 - Let The Sacred Flame Guide Your Path

Edited by Anime27Arts

11 minutes ago, SullyMcGully said:

LET'S GO SPOIL OURSELVES ON OCTOPATH WHILE WE WAIT TO BE ABLE TO AFFORD SWITCHES PEOPLE!

Good luck on your run, Anime. Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

I don't have a Switch either.  The art of the game looks nice, sort of Final Fantasy-ish.

OOOOH, looking forward to this!

13 minutes ago, SullyMcGully said:

LET'S GO SPOIL OURSELVES ON OCTOPATH WHILE WE WAIT TO BE ABLE TO AFFORD SWITCHES PEOPLE!

Ha, this sounds like me (only I'm waiting until I can buy a fire emblem game for it, but details).

Welcome to the first chapter of my play through! Now is the time for the huge question to be answered,
"Which character did you start with Anime???"

Well I started with

Spoiler

w9yAEuz.jpg

The Lovely H'annit! I decided to go with her because a friend of mine absolutely loves Cindy Robinson who happens to voice her.  She's also a helpful character to start out as.

So her story starts out with a lovely one year ago flash black with her and her Master Z'aanta.  He's setting off on a journey to take care of a monster terrorizing people around Orsterra and leaving H'annit in charge of protecting the village, S'warkii.  Warning, I'm bad at remembering these unusual names, so I might end up coming up with a shortened name for them, especially if I don't have the game right beside me to check the spelling and such. 

As Z'aanta sets off to hunt this beast and H'annit warns him to be careful and

Spoiler

xQcghSk.jpg

While I have a picture of the dialogue, I want to say how well they did with the dialect.  They keep this going on through all of her lines, even the lines in combat and Cindy Robinson does and extremely good job at delivering them.  Sometimes, I get extremely tongue tied reading her lines and she does it so well.

Okay, mini rant over.

He laughs it off and tells H'aanit that it is all apart of the journey and basically coming up with a silly excuse to let him still gamble because he has a problem.
She doesn't buy it.

Spoiler

QovoltI.jpg

She has to tell his wolf to watch out for him.  I don't know why, but I found this absolutely hilarious!

Od51UA4.jpg

RIP Z'aanta. I'll be your friend because I have a gambling problem when it comes to heroes.

Speaking of Fire Emblem,
EQ6rOca.jpg

LINDE!!! Her Leopard's(?) name is Linde!!!! Ahhhhhh!!!

Flash forward a year and Z'aanta is not back, but H'aanit is in charge of keeping the village safe.  The first quest was to use her skill "Provoke" to bring others into battle to teach them and well...

Spoiler

kqIp2ra.jpg

I was "training" these two young students..... now they are dead...... I don't think they get what training really is.....

So this fancy smancy pants comes into town and asks H'aanit to fight this beast who is killing the people of a nearby village.  She accepts and goes to fight this beast and well...

Spoiler

XPrSzlY.jpg

My thoughts exactly H'aanit.  3 dead people and 2 dead wolves....this is something....

H'aanit goes on to talk about how this creature needs to go and the circle of life stuff and how he must pay for needless death..by killing it! LOGIC!

Now time to capture some pokemonanimals to bring along with me and do my bidding by fighting other people.

Spoiler

KYUsPDg.jpg

The Art, once again is gorgeous!!  Just look at it!!!!!!! Anyway this the first pokemonanimal I caught!

So as I continue in the spooky scary woods, and I finally find the boss and well....

Spoiler

cEcYxrL.jpg

That's ... nightmare fuel.  Well drawn nightmare fuel, but none the less, nightmare fuel.

I fought the monster and killed it, restoring peace to the village. When suddenly Z'aanta's wolf find H'aanit and warns her that her master is in danger so she sets off to find her master and save him from the beast known as "Red Eye." At least its not named pink eye ya know?

Where will this adventure take us next?  Next Time on Octopath Traveler!

Spoiler

Do07o2j.jpg

To a land of ice and snow to meet a sweet cleric about to make a choice that will change her life forever!

Edited by Anime27Arts

20 hours ago, Michelaar said:

The pics don't work for me. :(

Hmmm I'll get on and see if I can Fix them in a bit.

Edit:

They should work now.

Edited by Anime27Arts

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 2 - Let the Sacred Flame Guide Your Path

On today's adventure out to visit another brave traveler across the content of Orsterra. Today will visit the town of Flamesgrace and we shall meet the lovely Ophilia.

Spoiler

20180515_085330.jpg

Here's her official picture provided from Nintendo.

73wz0c8.jpg

Time to hear her story.

So before I begin the tale of Ophilia, I'd like to point out how I appreciate that Square Enix made it so that you could hear everyone's tales from the very beginning or skip it if you've already played it before.  I truly appreciate the little details that help out new and old players alike.  Anyway, time for the story!

The story starts out with Ophilia and her adoptive sister Lianna and before I get too far in the story, I want to share a laugh.  I played all of the prologue, introduction chapters with my littlest brother and he simply could not figure out their names, even though I kept telling him so to him this is the story of Olympia and her sister Lympia.  Back to the story, the two are clerics at the church of the town and daughters of the Archbishop Josef.  Every twenty years a pilgrimage must be performed to light the sacred flame in three other towns.  Since Lianna is the archbishops biological father, she is the one chosen to go on this pilgrimage. 

Spoiler

WnTWugh.jpg

This here is the lovely family. 

Ophilia is sent out on little side tasks to help her prepare, when a little boy appears at the church doors, alone and cold because he has lost his mother.  That is when you get to use Ophilia's path action, Guide, to guide the young boy back to his mother.  I don't see why the boy had such a hard time finding her though since she is literally right outside.  Silly kids.

After uniting this lost family, Ophilia walks into the church to be greeted by a mysterious man who seems too fishy to me.  He says he's here as a trader to bring items for Lianna and her journey, but before Ophilia can bring him to her father or sister, a handmaiden summons Ophilia to her father's chambers because he has fallen ill. She apologizes to the trader and says maybe some other time as she rushes to her father's side.

Spoiler

Wex75tj.jpg

Leaving this fishy trade all alone in the church.  He just seems off to me. Why include him if this is all we see of him? :thinking:

Continuing on, Ophilia rushes to his chambers to find Josef in bed with Lianna at his side.  The doctor by his side tells him that everything will be fine, but everyone is still worried, Lianna especially.

Spoiler

hfh61LT.jpg?1

When a teenage girl says she's fine, that means she is literally anything but fine.  This actually turns out to be the case in the game as well, because she runs off upset that she will have to leave her father's side during a time of need.

gr43iib.jpg

Once again, I'm gushing over this art!!  Look how gorgeous the snow is!! Pictures cannot capture it as well, but the snow actually sparkles and its absolutely gorgeous!!!!!

She runs up to the top of this hill that overlooks the village, which is apparently her favorite spot to stay.  

Once Ophilia approaches her and gets her to talk about whats wrong.  Lianna tells her that it bugs her so much that she has to go on this pilgrimage and leave her father when he needs her the most.  We get a little flashback to when to young Lianna and Ophilia and her being taken into their family.  Apparently, Ophilia's parents died in a war that took place 8 years ago (Square Enix's Obsession with the Number 8 Cameo count - 1) and the archbishop took her in so she wouldn't be on the streets alone.  Ophilia was super shy at first, but Lianna finally got her to open up to her and the two became insuperable.  Flash forward and Lianna thanks Philia, her nickname for her, for always being there and supporting her. 

Spoiler

VGkERsh.jpg?1

The sisters have a touching moment before Lianna leaves to prepare to fetch the Sacred Flame found in the Cave Of Origin (Where there are no Kyogres unfortunately).

Ophilia decides that she will not allow her sister to worry any longer and that she will perform the Kindling in her sister's stead, despite noting that she would be in huge trouble with the church.  So she sets off to the Cave of Origin, and with H'aanit's help she defeats the Guardian of the Cave, who still isn't a Kyogre. :(

Spoiler

6KO9PcM.jpg?1

Here's the Kyogre wanna be! Frankly he's not even close.  Too bad, it would have been fun fighting a giant legendary fish.

Ophilia proves her worth and ability to go on this pilgrimage by defeating the Guardian where she is give the Sacred Flame.  I tried to take a picture but because of how the flames are drawn and animated, it simply blurred it so my apologies.

She runs back home to her step-father where she finds her sister at his side.  Ophilia shows them both the flame and both of them are shocked.  Josef orders Lianna to leave the room while he talks to Ophilia.  After she has left, he asks Ophilia of her true intentions, since he knows she is not one to steal the flame for prideful purposes.  She explains to him how she wanted to do this for Lianna, so that she could stay with him now. Ophilia says that she will take any punishment the church sees fit, she simply wanted to help her sister out.  The archbishop says she will not be punished, which is extremely weird to me seeing how she said she would be in serious trouble for doing this, but oh well.   He says his goodbyes to her because he claims that he knows he will not live long enough to see Ophilia return home and they have a touching father and daughter moment as she actually calls him father, something she had not done up until this point.  After the touching moment is over, she goes to her sister who prepares her for the journey.  They have their own good byes and then Ophilia sets out on her own(ish because she's with H'annit right now).

Spoiler

Before I left Flamesgrace, I wanted to pay a visit to the Church again, and learned that the archbishop will not speak if you try to talk to him after she is to have left, which is actually really saddening to me.

nKd9Dzk.jpg?1

And so our heroes continue off on their journey! To save her Master and to complete the sacred religious ritual. 

Who will they meet next?  Next time on Octopath Traveler!

Spoiler

68QrmfR.jpg?1

We depart from the chilly Ice Lands to the land known as Atlasdam, where we shall meet a wise scholar in the pursuit of knowledge.

Edited by Anime27Arts