Literally sleeping through my diet

Junkhead

Been able to consistently hit a calorie deficit by just sleeping throughout the day (not that I want to, I just fucked up my sleeping schedule).

welp, whatever works.

23 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

Been able to consistently hit a calorie deficit by just sleeping throughout the day (not that I want to, I just fucked up my sleeping schedule).

welp, whatever works.

I just happen to be too lazy to cook, so i end up eating two meals a day, with rarely anything in between :V

56 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

I just happen to be too lazy to cook, so i end up eating two meals a day, with rarely anything in between :V

Really? Being lazy to cook just takes me to buying food, which doesn't always tend to be the healthiest option. It's important to know how to cook at least somewhat for a diet, since you know how to get around certain things. Whoever thinks dieting (eating in a calorie deficit) has to be bland and boring doesn't know how to prepare a good meal.

4 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

Really? Being lazy to cook just takes me to buying food, which doesn't always tend to be the healthiest option. It's important to know how to cook at least somewhat for a diet, since you know how to get around certain things. Whoever thinks dieting (eating in a calorie deficit) has to be bland and boring doesn't know how to prepare a good meal.

I live far from food places i like. I do know how to cook things, I am just generally too lazy to go for like 3 meals a day. That is far too much cooking and cleaning time. 

1 hour ago, SlayerX said:

I live far from food places i like. I do know how to cook things, I am just generally too lazy to go for like 3 meals a day. That is far too much cooking and cleaning time. 

Frozen foods are your best friend. Lately, my laziest dinners involve zapping frozen vegetables with a handful of frozen shrimps in the microwave. I sometimes skip the carbs if I am not too hungry. If I want to feel a little more full, I go for additional bananas and edamame. I buy the bags that have a variety of vegetables in them, so I am not just eating only carrots or broccoli.

It gets really bland though if you do not have enough variety of herb and spices to season things up. I like to experiment with my seasonings and have more control over my mix, so I have the individual herbs and spices in addition to the premixed ones. If you are lazy, premixed ones are great to further cut time. In my opinion the essential ones that I have tried and go well with just about any ingredients are Chef's Essence, curry powder, creole seasoning, Italian seasoning, Cajun seasoning, and chili powder.

2 hours ago, Hecatia Lapislazuli said:

I have done a "diet" for my entire life yet. It's called metabolism.

you've suddenly risen through the ranks significantly on my "least favorite forum members" list

jokes aside, extremely jealous. i had a nuts metabolism as a kid but it really caught up with me in university. around the same time i started drinking and eating crappy food like twice on the daily. fun times until i was like 200 pounds and realized "fuck this is terrible".

managed to more or less get my shit together since then, a year and a half ago. started exercising and eating sort of better. still not as great as i couldve while i was in school but certainly better than i did. then i got really sick and diagnosed with colitis this summer, and i've lost weight just from that. i'm more or less sustained now and want to start working on my body again, but having a diet forced on you to avoid being sick is a very good way to ensure that you actually eat healthy.

6 hours ago, Arcanite said:

This is why I cook a week's worth of food

I like my food fresh...but I'd at least chop off the meat and vegetables and it'd save me sometime. Making a fruit salad a few days prior just amazing.

6 hours ago, SlayerX said:

That's okay. Eat one meal a day.

4 hours ago, Hecatia Lapislazuli said:

I have done a "diet" for my entire life yet. It's called metabolism.

Technically not wrong. Thing is, people believe that your metabolism is negligeble by the time you go to sleep, which is how the myth of eating at night was born.

2 hours ago, Darros said:

you've suddenly risen through the ranks significantly on my "least favorite forum members" list

jokes aside, extremely jealous. i had a nuts metabolism as a kid but it really caught up with me in university. around the same time i started drinking and eating crappy food like twice on the daily. fun times until i was like 200 pounds and realized "fuck this is terrible".

managed to more or less get my shit together since then, a year and a half ago. started exercising and eating sort of better. still not as great as i couldve while i was in school but certainly better than i did. then i got really sick and diagnosed with colitis this summer, and i've lost weight just from that. i'm more or less sustained now and want to start working on my body again, but having a diet forced on you to avoid being sick is a very good way to ensure that you actually eat healthy.

The whole "metabolism" card people think is kind of wrong. It's a thing, but not to the extent people think it is. Like, I used to be one of those skinny kids that though they "ate a lot and never gained weight", until I started tracking my calories. Turns out I only did so ocassionally, and most of the time I was eating within overall maintainance. At least to give you a known example...the 120-130lbs (55-60kg) kids that can consistently get away with 3000-4000 calories either heavily mistrack or are a disgusting minority.

I remember about that. It's cool you got it together.

8 hours ago, XRay said:

Frozen foods are your best friend. Lately, my laziest dinners involve zapping frozen vegetables with a handful of frozen shrimps in the microwave. I sometimes skip the carbs if I am not too hungry. If I want to feel a little more full, I go for additional bananas and edamame. I buy the bags that have a variety of vegetables in them, so I am not just eating only carrots or broccoli.

It gets really bland though if you do not have enough variety of herb and spices to season things up. I like to experiment with my seasonings and have more control over my mix, so I have the individual herbs and spices in addition to the premixed ones. If you are lazy, premixed ones are great to further cut time. In my opinion the essential ones that I have tried and go well with just about any ingredients are Chef's Essence, curry powder, creole seasoning, Italian seasoning, Cajun seasoning, and chili powder.

Most of the veggies i use are frozen :P. Same with the meat i consume. Though i will use the stove/oven as opposed to the microwave. I do have a seasoning that i use for my veggies, and its a vegetable seasoning (has a bunch of dried assorted vegetables in it or something. I don't know, it is just delicious). I also mix some honey and add ground cayenne pepper when i feel the need for spiciness in my life. Carbs are almost always a given. Nothing easier than cooking a plate of rice, pasta, or potatoes.

3 hours ago, Junkhead said:

That's okay. Eat one meal a day.

I have limits unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Though i will use the stove/oven as opposed to the microwave.

5 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Nothing easier than cooking a plate of rice, pasta, or potatoes.

Ha! That is already more effort than I am willing to put into my food for the past few days. I do not even want to turn on the stove or oven since I have to clean the cookery.

Just now, XRay said:

Ha! That is already more effort than I am willing to put into my food for the past few days. I do not even want to turn on the stove or oven since I have to clean the cookery.

Guess I am not as lazy as i thought :P

5 hours ago, Junkhead said:

Technically not wrong. Thing is, people believe that your metabolism is negligeble by the time you go to sleep, which is how the myth of eating at night was born.

The whole "metabolism" card people think is kind of wrong. It's a thing, but not to the extent people think it is. Like, I used to be one of those skinny kids that though they "ate a lot and never gained weight", until I started tracking my calories. Turns out I only did so ocassionally, and most of the time I was eating within overall maintainance. At least to give you a known example...the 120-130lbs (55-60kg) kids that can consistently get away with 3000-4000 calories either heavily mistrack or are a disgusting minority.

I tend to be anorexic; 193 cm and 65 kg. But it's no health issue for me since my childhood. I always have had problems to gain weight despite I eat normal rations. Well, only evening lunch never really existed for me, but I don't think it's the reason for my low weight as the fact I never eat at night. The only issue I have is that I can't carry heavy things with my very thin arms (well, sports might fix it) and I avoid going to public swimming pools not to show my skeleton body.

Funnily I had to deal with a like 8 year neighbour boy who had more weight than me (>adiposity).

14 hours ago, Junkhead said:

Nah I agree. There's definitely a perception kind of deal to it, and it's not the be all end all. I definitely wouldn't call it negligible though, and there still is the pretty core fact that adolescents are able to eat more and not really gain weight in the same way. Puberty is magical though and kind of allows people to do that more. I don't think many people are eating 3000-4000 calories a day though, especially at that weight - but 2500-2750 sounds more realistic for the type of people you're describing. That's not common but it's not like an unheard of minority for certain.

We are missing one major factor in this discussion though, and that's height. I'm not exactly sure how height factors into metabolism or weight either biologically or mathematically, but it's certainly a huge factor. Any resource that you can look up to find healthy weights or target weights (for bodybuilding or whatever) will certainly give some sort of table of weights to heights.