New Heroes (Ylissean Travelers)

Ghostface233

3 minutes ago, SlipperySlippy said:

Is this not the case? Most of Fire Emblem characters are relatively (if not, completely) unremarkable. 

There's a reason Nephenee is one of the Tellius fan favourites and it's definitely not for being an interesting or complex character. 

Looks like we have different definitions of unremarkable, but that's a matter of taste and I can't argue with that.

(And there's a reason Camilla/Tharja is a Fates/Awakening fan favourite, so what? Are we using the horny otaku fanbase as a judge for personality, now?)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Kori said:

Looks like we have different definitions of unremarkable, but that's a matter of taste and I can't argue with that.

(And there's a reason Camilla/Tharja is a Fates/Awakening fan favourite, so what? Are we using the horny otaku fanbase as a judge for personality, now?)

Not sure what point you're trying to make with the Camilla and Tharja comment. In the context of the Fire Emblem franchise, Tharja is actually a very unique character with little overlap with characters from  previous games. Tharja's character has issues... but being an unoriginal character isn't one of them. She's more unique than Maribelle.

12 minutes ago, SlipperySlippy said:

Not sure what point you're trying to make with the Camilla and Tharja comment. In the context of the Fire Emblem franchise, Tharja is actually a very unique character with little overlap with characters from  previous games. Tharja's character has issues... but being an unoriginal character isn't one of them. She's more unique than Maribelle.

The point I was trying to make is that the people with whom Nephenee is popular because of her design (I assume that's what you were implying) care little about personality, and that using them as a proof that FE characters have unremarkable personalities doesn't seem like a legit argument to me. I don't deny Tharja is a unique character, but this is definitely not the reason she's a fan favourite either. (As in, I'm sure some fans like her for all of her personality, including the most interesting traits, but her incredible popularity is mostly because "yandere stalker with transparent clothes", which isn't exactly interesting or complex either.) It's like saying Ike isn't a Tellius fan favourite for being a good character: he is a good character, but he's a fan favourite because of the Smash fanbase who doesn't know this, only memes.

Basically: characters having features that makes them popular to a shallow fanbase doesn't prove they aren't interesting or complex or remarkable.

(Which, again, isn't me saying you have to agree that Maribelle is any of these things, that's personal taste. I think she is, I get it if you don't.)

1 hour ago, Kori said:

The point I was trying to make is that the people with whom Nephenee is popular because of her design (I assume that's what you were implying) care little about personality, and that using them as a proof that FE characters have unremarkable personalities doesn't seem like a legit argument to me. I don't deny Tharja is a unique character, but this is definitely not the reason she's a fan favourite either. (As in, I'm sure some fans like her for all of her personality, including the most interesting traits, but her incredible popularity is mostly because "yandere stalker with transparent clothes", which isn't exactly interesting or complex either.) It's like saying Ike isn't a Tellius fan favourite for being a good character: he is a good character, but he's a fan favourite because of the Smash fanbase who doesn't know this, only memes.

Basically: characters having features that makes them popular to a shallow fanbase doesn't prove they aren't interesting or complex or remarkable.

(Which, again, isn't me saying you have to agree that Maribelle is any of these things, that's personal taste. I think she is, I get it if you don't.)

I pretty much agree with what you're saying here.

However, you're misunderstanding the reason I brought up Nephenee in the first place. I was just highlighting her as an example of a fan favourite character that completely lacks any defining features that make her a complex or remarkable character. I was not making an encompassing statement that described all Fire Emblem characters.

In relation to the topic at hand, I simply find it silly people are jumping at me for labeling Maribelle as a "literal who" when she offers little to distinguish herself from others in a cast that consists of hundreds of character. As far as I'm concerned, it's completely within reason to categorize Maribelle in the same way one would as Karla, although Karla's case is obviously "worse" due to the significant difference in their respective fanbases. I'd say the same if this was Priscilla, Clarine or Jeanne powercreeping Elise as the best trobadour, but it's not like it really matters. I guess Nanna deserved better, all things considered.

Edited by SlipperySlippy

I was initially mad at getting yet another Olivia and yet another Sword Dancer.

...That was before I realized she had the stats to potentially do this:

81ad1f1831.jpg

Now I don't know whether to be mad or scared, but it's making me want to roll on a banner I was going to skip, because I do happen to need a Sword Flier.

Edited by Some Jerk

55 minutes ago, SlipperySlippy said:

I pretty much agree with what you're saying here.

However, you're misunderstanding the reason I brought up Nephenee in the first place. I was just highlighting her as an example of a fan favourite character that completely lacks any defining features that make her a complex or remarkable character. I was not making an encompassing statement that described all Fire Emblem characters.

In relation to the topic at hand, I simply find it silly people are jumping at me for labeling Maribelle as a "literal who" when she offers little to distinguish herself from others in a cast that consists of hundreds of character. As far as I'm concerned, it's completely within reason to categorize Maribelle in the same way one would as Karla, although Karla's case is obviously "worse" due to the significant difference in their respective fanbases. I'd say the same if this was Priscilla, Clarine or Jeanne powercreeping Elise as the best trobadour, but it's not like it really matters. I guess Nanna deserved better, all things considered.

Oh, I see. My bad, then.

(Though I would argue that one can play FE7 without even seeing Karla, while Maribelle's capture and rescue is part of what starts the war against Plegia in Awakening, so she's not as "obscure" (nothing against Karla) but yes, she certainly doesn't have Elise's level of plot relevance.)

Nanna did deserve better. Runesword when.

6 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Yeah. Though if pulling from those is considered cheating, then I think Coirpre is unpopular and forgotten enough to qualify instead.

How can a kid who joins in Chapter 9, over halfway into FE4 Gen 2, without a horse, at level 1, as a staffbot when you already have a bunch, without Esty-bestie growths, who is needed to recruit a rather useless and annoying to recruit General, be considered "forgotten"? He has enough negatives to come up in certain circumstances.

Although to be fair, I do offer a little sympathy to Coirpre. He is a cute innocent little boy.

6 hours ago, SlipperySlippy said:

There's a reason Nephenee is one of the Tellius fan favourites and it's definitely not for being an interesting or complex character. 

Much better than Ilyana and Mia. Nephenee has some subtle character development over the two games.

Ilyana is a tapeworm with a human host, and Mia is perky and cheerful, but has nothing to her other than "I like to train!". Mia is not a character with any depth, you like her for the refreshing perkiness, and nothing else. Not that there is necessarily a problem with this, it just isn't real depth. She's a female Ike except with far less nuance, but more liveliness than a cold buried potato (which Ike can feel like at times). Likewise, there is no problem with thinking Ilyana cute or at times funny, but when we're drinking black coffee and speaking more seriously, she is worth less than dirt.

5 hours ago, Kori said:

It's like saying Ike isn't a Tellius fan favourite for being a good character: he is a good character, but he's a fan favourite because of the Smash fanbase who doesn't know this, only memes.

At least his games were released internationally before he came to Smash. Roy still is a nobody outside of Smash to the West, and his Smash 4 appearance is more Ike than it is his actual FE6 self.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

How can a kid who joins in Chapter 9, over halfway into FE4 Gen 2, without a horse, at level 1, as a staffbot when you already have a bunch, without Esty-bestie growths, who is needed to recruit a rather useless and annoying to recruit General, be considered "forgotten"? He has enough negatives to come up in certain circumstances.

Although to be fair, I do offer a little sympathy to Coirpre. He is a cute innocent little boy.

Well he’s either that and/or unpopular given that he placed tenth to last in CYL 2 (809th, 16 votes). The only playable FE4 characters that he beat were his sub (Charlot shota Sigurd), Dalvin and Amid.

Been super busy, so I haven't had much time for the forum, but now I'm not busy! Can finally make some comments on the banner. 

This was a VERY dangerous banner for me. Libra and Maribelle are two of my favorite characters from Awakening. I actually expected Maribelle to be on the first 1st gen Awakening banner, but I didn't expect Libra to be anywhere near it. I actually didn't even expect to see him in the game this soon...or at all... Sumia definitely deserved to get in. And even though Olivia's an alt, even she looked good. Are there more characters I'd like to see from Awakening? Yup. But I can be patient. I'm really grateful that we managed to get 4 characters on a banner and only one of them is an alt. 

On top of it all, the art is gorgeous this time around. Libra's art is stunning. Not surprised I'm drawn to it since he shares his artist with Leon and Lyon. I also really like Sumia's art. I'm really glad the artist chose to make her look a bit more mature and elegant instead of super sparkly eyed. I was a little disappointed with sparkly eyed Maribelle, but she's still precious and amazing, so I can't complain. I like Olivia's art too. Then again, I've never had an issue with Akira's style. It took some getting used to, but I really like Lon'qu's art. 

But most of all, I'm happy to have gotten another healer added to the pool this year. XD

16 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

Kind of interesting that the healers we have this year (Nanna) are both horse healers.

i mean, cavalry is still more preferable than infantries because trenches actually isn't that often, and emblem buff to make them worthy colorless mage. 

That being said, staves certainly get their fixes now and is seen as colorless mage, but daggers are still bad . 

So what's the concensus on Libra? At first, he seemed very average. Then, I realise his Atk is actually 35 instead of 32, which is actually pretty good. Most of his stats bar Res remind me of Charlotte's. They just switch HP & Res somewhat.

28/29 Def/Res seems to suggest some mixed tanking capabilties, along with that 32 Spd...

2 hours ago, Junkhead said:

So what's the concensus on Libra? At first, he seemed very average. Then, I realise his Atk is actually 35 instead of 32, which is actually pretty good. Most of his stats bar Res remind me of Charlotte's. They just switch HP & Res somewhat.

28/29 Def/Res seems to suggest some mixed tanking capabilties, along with that 32 Spd...

He's decent. Good mixed bulk and his speed is high enough that you can easily prevent doubles from foes if you put in some effort to increase his speed stat. He can also ploy as 29 res is high enough to hit those that matter. Neutral is probably his best nature for mixed tanking as his speed is workable to negate doubles

Edited by silveraura25

3 hours ago, Junkhead said:

He is literally Spring Chrom with 3 less HP and 9 more Res. Or axe Sophia with 2 more HP and 13 more Spd.

Can tank pretty well with a Sack o' Gifts or a Handbell. Can also run the typical enemy-phase Slaying Axe or Wo Gun builds. Emerald Axe turns him into a stronger and bulkier Titania, but without a horse. Ploy utility is pretty nice.

24 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Can tank pretty well with a Sack o' Gifts or a Handbell.

Can also run the typical enemy-phase Slaying Axe or Wo Gun builds. Emerald Axe turns him into a stronger and bulkier Titania, but without a horse. Ploy utility is pretty nice.

Typical how.

QR +Close Def.

5 hours ago, Junkhead said:

Typical how.

QR +Close Def.

The usual notation mess.

Slaying Axe+ [Def / Res] // Wo Gun [Def / Res]
Reposition
Iceberg / Bonfire (with Slaying Axe+) // Moonbow (with Wo Gun) // Glacies / Ignis (with Wo Gun and * Breath)
Distant Counter / Close Def 3 / * Bond / * Stance / * Breath
Quick Riposte 3 // Guard 3 / Dull Ranged 3 / Wrath 3
Close Def 3 / Distant Def 3 (with Quick Riposte 3) // Quick Riposte 3 (with anything else)

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

* Bond

Every time someone mentions bond skills I get triggered. You know what''s stupid. Atk/Res Bond still isn't in the normal summoning pool. So far it's been on three seasonal units... And the skill was introduced in late October. And of the bond skills Atk/Spd Bond is the only bond skill in the normal summoning pool... And the rest are all seasonal locked

23 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

Every time someone mentions bond skills I get triggered. You know what''s stupid. Atk/Res Bond still isn't in the normal summoning pool. So far it's been on three seasonal units... And the skill was introduced in late October. And of the bond skills Atk/Spd Bond is the only bond skill in the normal summoning pool... And the rest are all seasonal locked

Yes. My Innes is still waiting for his godforsaken Atk/Res Bond.

I wonder why they're so insistent on keeping the bond skills out of the regular summoning pool. They're good skills, yes, but I wouldn't say they're better than close defense and distant defense -- both of which ARE available all the time. Not to mention that the one bond skill that IS in the normal summoning pool, atk/spd bond, is one of the better ones, so ...

My Saias has atk/res bond, though, because I got pitybroken by a NY!Takumi that was worse than my neutral one and I don't like to merge units. Boey got atk/def bond from a random Fjorm pity breaker some time back. They're pretty situational, but good when they kick in XD